Game 36: 12/28/18 Logoclipps at Lakers GAME THREAD

Game 36: 12/28/18 Logoclipps at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:58 am

(20-14) LOGOCLIPPS at LAKERS (20-15)

Friday, December 28, 2018, 7:30 PM PDT
Staples Center • Los Angeles, CA

Referees: Ed Malloy (#14), Scott Twardoski (#52), Ray Acosta (#54)

Replay Center: Brett Nansel, Derek Richardson, Justin Van Duyne, Sean Wright

Line: Logoclipps -6

Local TV: Spectrum SportsNet; Prime (Bingo!) National TV: NBA TV

GAME PREVIEW: LOGOCLIPPS AT LAKERS

by NBA.com

Here is what you need to know before the Lakers’ intracity clash with the LA Clippers.

1) Lakers are looking to erase the taste of heartbreak

The Lakers were dealt one of their toughest losses of the season on Thursday, falling in Sacramento on Bogdan Bogdanovic’s last-second buzzer-beater.

It initially looked to be a statement game from the Lakers’ young core, as the starting lineup consisted of players aged 23 or younger: Lonzo Ball, Josh Hart, Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma and Ivica Zubac.

Several members of that crew stepped up — especially Kuzma (34 points, nine rebounds), Ingram (21 points) and Ball (20 points, 12 assists, nine rebounds).

But even though Kuzma had some clutch shooting, the Lakers could not hold off the Kings, who mounted a 15-point rally in the fourth.

2) Lonzo stepped into playmaker mode

With LeBron James and Rajon Rondo out for Thursday’s game, Ball thrived in his role as the Lakers’ primary ball handler.

He came within one rebound of a triple-double, and successfully directed the team’s offense despite being plagued by calf cramps throughout the night.

Ball was particularly impressive in the pick-and-roll, constantly making the right decisions by dishing five dimes and hitting three shots out of P&R. And he also found great chemistry with Kuzma, who was the recipient of half of Lonzo’s dozen assists.

Whether James or Rondo return against the Clippers has yet to be determined. But the Lakers’ offense will remain afloat if Ball continues to strike that balance of attacking and playmaking.

3) Both L.A. squads are in similar positions

The winner of this game will take control of fourth place in the Western Conference standings, as the Clippers (20-14) are currently only a half-game ahead of the Lakers (20-15).

The Clippers have turned a deep roster into one of the league’s best offenses, ranking third in the NBA in scoring (115.9).

Starting forwards Tobias Harris and Danilo Gallinari are among the game’s elite shooters, while Lou Williams and Montrezl Harrell lead the league’s top scoring bench.

With the Lakers — who were without James, Rondo and JaVale McGee on Thursday — shorthanded and on the second night of a back-to-back, the Clippers’ depth could be a key factor in this matchup.

Injury Report

Lakers: LeBron James (strained left groin), Rajon Rondo (sprained right ring finger) and JaVale McGee (respiratory infection) are TBD. Michael Beasley (personal reasons) is out. Isaac Bonga is on G League assignment.

Clippers: Luc Mbah a Moute (sore left knee) is TBD.

https://www.nba.com/lakers/news/181228- ... gs-to-know
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 36: 12/28/18 Logoclipps at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:00 am

As MAD as I am about that game last night, the effort and results over 43+ minutes was exactly what we need from our core every night. Lessons learned from tough defeats will serve them well in early spring. These Clippers are playing well and have some seasoned vets who are not intimidated by this upstart Laker squad. Hopefully they come out with the same intensity and focus and catch these as-currently-constructed Clipps off-guard . . but after last night nobody's going to take us lightly - LeBron or no LeBron. I guess we earned some sort of respect.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:48 am

lakerevolution wrote:As MAD as I am about that game last night, the effort and results over 43+ minutes was exactly what we need from our core every night. Lessons learned from tough defeats will serve them well in early spring. These Clippers are playing well and have some seasoned vets who are not intimidated by this upstart Laker squad. Hopefully they come out with the same intensity and focus and catch these as-currently-constructed Clipps off-guard . . but after last night nobody's going to take us lightly - LeBron or no LeBron. I guess we earned some sort of respect.

Yeah, I'm trying to find a silver lining, too, Rev. Never mind that I sucked down a bottle of Pinot Noir during the game (after an earlier martini), thus producing a rare Friday hangover, I AM FUCKING PISSED!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:51 am

BINGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! They are 20-14 and we are 20-15. The battle of the LA teams. This would be a nice way to get that bad taste out of our mouths after last night by beating them.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:41 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
lakerevolution wrote:As MAD as I am about that game last night, the effort and results over 43+ minutes was exactly what we need from our core every night. Lessons learned from tough defeats will serve them well in early spring. These Clippers are playing well and have some seasoned vets who are not intimidated by this upstart Laker squad. Hopefully they come out with the same intensity and focus and catch these as-currently-constructed Clipps off-guard . . but after last night nobody's going to take us lightly - LeBron or no LeBron. I guess we earned some sort of respect.

Yeah, I'm trying to find a silver lining, too, Rev. Never mind that I sucked down a bottle of Pinot Noir during the game (after an earlier martini), thus producing a rare Friday hangover, I AM FUCKING PISSED!

Pissed can mean drunk too, and having partied with you I know you're no lightweight :boozbuds: . As long as it's not MERLOT!! *in my Paul Giamatti voice from Hangover* but seriously, I loved Lonzo's game last night - cramps is a side-eye head-scratcher, he's way too young to be going out like McGrady in clutch situations - and our physical training staff had better solve that problem QUICK. I have 110% faith in Ingram, Kuzma, Hart and now Zubac, and we need KCP, Lance, Tyson an dem to play like the solid veterans they are. Without LeBron and Rondo we're still a marginal 7th/8th seed, right?
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:18 pm

lakerevolution wrote:
KobeMVP888 wrote:

Pissed can mean drunk too, and having partied with you I know you're no lightweight :boozbuds: . As long as it's not MERLOT!! *in my Paul Giamatti voice from Hangover* but seriously, I loved Lonzo's game last night - cramps is a side-eye head-scratcher, he's way too young to be going out like McGrady in clutch situations - and our physical training staff had better solve that problem QUICK. I have 110% faith in Ingram, Kuzma, Hart and now Zubac, and we need KCP, Lance, Tyson an dem to play like the solid veterans they are. Without LeBron and Rondo we're still a marginal 7th/8th seed, right?

What sucks is, when Lonzo shoots lights out and scores alot but we still lose. We have done that twice now in the last week (he had 23 at Nets and shot 5-9 from 3). Hell when he scores 20 or more you would think we should never lose. We are losing games we shouldn't be losing which is a bit disturbing.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:12 pm

At this point, LeBron's presence is the main reason that Lonzo's game isn't blossoming on offense as all of us would like to see this season IMO. He's in role mode playing alongside LeBron, and frankly I wouldn't blame him if at some point he requested a trade. As long as LeBron is playing at a high level, I cant see how Lonzo can string together games like we saw last night. Also, remember that he spent the summer rehabbing his knee after surgery and he is finally getting to 100% (other than the cramping ... grrrrrrr!)

Anyway, here's an interesting tweet from Pete Zayas. I think this pretty much tells the Tale of the Tape:

BTW, I may have to resort to the hair of the dog that bit me yesterday, but I am NOT drinking any fuckin' Merlot! :Nuggsmad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXXDC5FarhE
KobeMVP888

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:25 pm

No surprise here.
KobeMVP888

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:44 pm

What an irritating half of basketball. Sure, we have a small lead, but watching Lou Williams carve us up, including a 63 footer at the buzzer to end the half, always gets under my skin. Sorry, but all we got out of that trade was Josh Hart and Lou signed a fuckin' cheap long term deal with the Logoclipps. You know that guy will be good until he's at least 36.

HAVING SAID THAT, if we don't clean things up on the offensive end, we'll lose this game. They have veterans Gallinari, Tobias Harris and Lou down the stretch and we have kids. I hate to be negative, but last night still hasn't worn off and our legs are likely to be rubber down the stretch tonight.

Why did I say "HAVING SAID THAT"? I basically whined the exact same shit! :snapout:
KobeMVP888

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:08 pm

Lakers up by 6 with a little less than 6 minutes to go in the third quarter. Luke is going with an 8 man rotation tonight. I know that other than Tyson Chandler, they are young legs, but on a back-to-back, this makes me nervous. I don't understand why Svi hasn't seen a few minutes at least. We could use his shooting and play making.
KobeMVP888

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:25 pm

Lou Williams is KILLING us! Easily.

Logoclipps 86, Lakers 80. And flat.
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:44 pm

So Luke - no gameplan for the hottest hand on the entire Clippers squad? Kuzma goose-egging from 3, and our generally poor FG% aaaand that's your ballgame. Outrebounded, out-painted, out-pointed.

We're nowhere near a complete team right now, of course. Everybody's taking turns missing games. If we can get right and get/STAY healthy by February, we can secure a 6th seed and maybe sneak past the 3rd seed to play the winner of the 4 vs. 5 matchup. We've seen LeBron make something out of very little many times before - barring any blockbuster trades, we will at least end our playoff drought and poise ourselves for an incredible 2019-20 season.

And the Clippers will continue to SUCK and never make the Finals :pissedkobe:
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:23 am

Sweet Lou at it again! After the loss tonight, our record now is 20-16 and we are 7th in the West. Not sure what to make of this team because without LeBron this team looks like a below .500 team to me. If Magic doesn't make a trade by the trade deadline I would be surprised.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:17 am

Take LeBron off our team, we are not bad but like a 40 win team = 40-42/below .500. With a healthy LeBron he adds 10 wins to our team making us a 50 win team IMO.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:32 am

Obviously, we should have easily won the Queens game and because of the pace of that game, it was inevitable that we would burn out in the second half. I don't understand Luke using an 8 man rotation; he should have at least trusted Svi to try to spread the minutes out a bit more. On a positive note, Lonzo had another solid game at both ends and with Rondo out, expect to see a lot more of that when LeBron returns.

I think we'll bounce back vs. the Queens on Sunday night. We better because I'll be representing!
KobeMVP888

Next

Return to LakerTalk