The Lakers Discussion Thread

Re: The Lakers Discussion Thread

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:52 am



I remember when he came up with the Clippsterns. He's matured as he has entered his prime and has been a solid role player the last few seasons. Nice get.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #17 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
User avatar
KobeMVP888
 
Posts: 2902
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:16 pm
Has thanked: 321 times
Been thanked: 489 times

Re: The Lakers Discussion Thread

Postby lakerevolution » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:15 pm

Podcast: Is it time for the Lakers to fire Luke Walton?The Lakers are probably going to make a coaching change anyway at season’s end. Was there anything Luke Walton could have done to prevent that?

The Los Angeles Lakers gave up 143 points over the weekend — their most in any regulation game this season — signaling apathy on the defensive end. Seeing as Walton has made his most positive impact on that end of the floor, could that mean his messages are falling on deaf ears in his locker room?

In the show, I explain the situation using a poker analogy. Basically, he was dealt an okay hand (pocket sixes, for example). It’s hard to complain about coaching a LeBron James team with an exciting young core, but given the lack of support Walton has received from the front office and LeBron, there are complaints to be made off the court, as well as the frustrations on it stemming from the poor roster construction.

There are ways to win with pocket sixes that go beyond hoping to hit a third six. Personally, I prefer to raise pre-flop aggressively so as to take out any random hands that could derail my chances at winning the pot. In this analogy, I’d argue Walton merely called the blinds and allowed those hands to linger by hiring a fairly uninspiring coaching staff.

Let’s get to the flop, then. For this analogy, I said it’d be a middling pair and a low-ish third card. Ideally, I would usually bet fairly aggressively seeing as it’s probably unlikely anyone hit three of a kind after calling a pre-flop raise, meaning my two-pair has a pretty good chance of being the best hand out there, though I still have work to do. Again, though, Walton would merely call by implementing such a rudimentary offensive system.

The point of all this is to say Walton could have done a couple things to ensure his success despite some of the shortcomings around him. Maybe he stood no chance no matter what, seeing as he wasn’t the choice of either Magic Johnson or LeBron, but he also put himself at a higher risk of losing his job with some of the choices he’s made along the way.

We’ll see how this situation plays out for the remainder of the year and then into the offseason. By all accounts, Jeanie Buss has had Walton’s back at every turn and that hasn’t changed. Yet. To be honest, I think we’re nearing that point where it might be time for a coaching change. Some type of reset button needs to be hit in the locker room, and that’s the only feasible one right now, which sucks because I do think eventually, Walton could grow to be a good coach if he learns from the mistakes he’s made here in L.A.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source= ... 8739375032
User avatar
lakerevolution
 
Posts: 2297
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:36 pm
Has thanked: 178 times
Been thanked: 355 times

Re: The Lakers Discussion Thread

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:43 pm

If we do not make the Playoffs this season it will be a major fail and I am sure Magic would agree with me. If LeBron James is on your team, you should at least finish in the top 8 of any conference. We have enough talent around LeBron to be at least an 8 seed. Kuzma, Ingram, Rondo, and Ball aren't scrubs. Lance, McGee, Hart, and Chandler are all good role players. Maybe Luke is the problem? I get we haven't been healthy for some of the season but I still think our record should be better.
User avatar
3Peatkb24
 
Posts: 6062
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:54 am
Has thanked: 860 times
Been thanked: 359 times

Re: The Lakers Discussion Thread

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:13 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:If we do not make the Playoffs this season it will be a major fail and I am sure Magic would agree with me. If LeBron James is on your team, you should at least finish in the top 8 of any conference. We have enough talent around LeBron to be at least an 8 seed. Kuzma, Ingram, Rondo, and Ball aren't scrubs. Lance, McGee, Hart, and Chandler are all good role players. Maybe Luke is the problem? I get we haven't been healthy for some of the season but I still think our record should be better.


Hindsight is always 20-20. Imagine if we had kept everyone (Nance, Clarkson, D-Lo, Randle, and now Zu) and just waited the damn thing out?
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #17 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
User avatar
KobeMVP888
 
Posts: 2902
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:16 pm
Has thanked: 321 times
Been thanked: 489 times

Re: The Lakers Discussion Thread

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:15 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:If we do not make the Playoffs this season it will be a major fail and I am sure Magic would agree with me. If LeBron James is on your team, you should at least finish in the top 8 of any conference. We have enough talent around LeBron to be at least an 8 seed. Kuzma, Ingram, Rondo, and Ball aren't scrubs. Lance, McGee, Hart, and Chandler are all good role players. Maybe Luke is the problem? I get we haven't been healthy for some of the season but I still think our record should be better.


Hindsight is always 20-20. Imagine if we had kept everyone (Nance, Clarkson, D-Lo, Randle, and now Zu) and just waited the damn thing out?


I still haven't given up on the season. The only hindsight I really have was not re-signing Randle and not signing Paul George instead of signing LeBron. I say that because Randle is really good now and PG is only 28 years old and he is having an MVP type season with OKC. I wanted that to happen anyway actually as you know. Regarding D-Lo, I still do not see leadership qualities in him or the Basketball IQ that Ball has. Yeah statistically he is a much better scorer than Ball but I am still ok with trading him.
User avatar
3Peatkb24
 
Posts: 6062
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:54 am
Has thanked: 860 times
Been thanked: 359 times

Re: The Lakers Discussion Thread

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:22 am

If have had to bet on it, I say we make the Playoffs. It will be the 8th Seed but I will take it. LeBron has to stay healthy though and play every game for it to happen. We are better than the Clippers and Kings.

@Rev, lets make a friendly bet, if the Lakers make the Playoffs you have to change your avatar to the Cubs avatar we have in here for a month, if the Lakers do not make it I will change my avatar to the Dodgers avatar we have in here. Deal? :slamdunk:
User avatar
3Peatkb24
 
Posts: 6062
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:54 am
Has thanked: 860 times
Been thanked: 359 times

Re: The Lakers Discussion Thread

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:17 am

3Peatkb24 wrote:If have had to bet on it, I say we make the Playoffs. It will be the 8th Seed but I will take it. LeBron has to stay healthy though and play every game for it to happen. We are better than the Clippers and Kings.

@Rev, lets make a friendly bet, if the Lakers make the Playoffs you have to change your avatar to the Cubs avatar we have in here for a month, if the Lakers do not make it I will change my avatar to the Dodgers avatar we have in here. Deal? :slamdunk:


That is not a very good bet . . for you :weakout:

By my estimation, the Lakers have to go 18-8 over their last 26 games in order to ensure a better-than-even shot at securing at least the 8th seed. The Spurs, Kings and Clippers are all going to be pushing hard to qualify, and none of them has as difficult a schedule as we do from here on. It would take a Miracle Mets finish for us to sneak in at this point -- if only NYC was here in my place you could bet him against his baseball team!

So here's the bet: If the Lakers somehow make the playoffs, I'll change my avatar to a picture of Lonzo Ball for the remainder of the NBA postseason :dacount: :cookiemonster: . If they fail to make it, you have to change your avatar to a picture of Steve Bartman until Luke is fired or one of our young core gets traded - whichever comes first :duel: :toiletclaw:

How does that sound?
User avatar
lakerevolution
 
Posts: 2297
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:36 pm
Has thanked: 178 times
Been thanked: 355 times

Re: The Lakers Discussion Thread

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:07 pm

lakerevolution wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:If have had to bet on it, I say we make the Playoffs. It will be the 8th Seed but I will take it. LeBron has to stay healthy though and play every game for it to happen. We are better than the Clippers and Kings.

@Rev, lets make a friendly bet, if the Lakers make the Playoffs you have to change your avatar to the Cubs avatar we have in here for a month, if the Lakers do not make it I will change my avatar to the Dodgers avatar we have in here. Deal? :slamdunk:


That is not a very good bet . . for you :weakout:

By my estimation, the Lakers have to go 18-8 over their last 26 games in order to ensure a better-than-even shot at securing at least the 8th seed. The Spurs, Kings and Clippers are all going to be pushing hard to qualify, and none of them has as difficult a schedule as we do from here on. It would take a Miracle Mets finish for us to sneak in at this point -- if only NYC was here in my place you could bet him against his baseball team!

So here's the bet: If the Lakers somehow make the playoffs, I'll change my avatar to a picture of Lonzo Ball for the remainder of the NBA postseason :dacount: :cookiemonster: . If they fail to make it, you have to change your avatar to a picture of Steve Bartman until Luke is fired or one of our young core gets traded - whichever comes first :duel: :toiletclaw:

How does that sound?


OK deal. I actually feel sorry for Bartman and it will be Baseball season. Cubs actually gave him a ring in 2016, so I am fine with it. I know you love Ball so a deal it is :waaaaa:. I should have you put the ol Larry Bird avatar up if we make the playoffs :roflmao:
User avatar
3Peatkb24
 
Posts: 6062
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:54 am
Has thanked: 860 times
Been thanked: 359 times

Re: The Lakers Discussion Thread

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:24 am

The Lakers should do something like the fake trade in this link (plus get a couple of #1s):

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yy7aclvv
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #17 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
User avatar
KobeMVP888
 
Posts: 2902
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:16 pm
Has thanked: 321 times
Been thanked: 489 times

Re: The Lakers Discussion Thread

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:57 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:The Lakers should do something like the fake trade in this link (plus get a couple of #1s):

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yy7aclvv


In all the years I have known you Kenny (10 years), I have never seen you so disappointed/disgusted in a team. This season has been very disappointing no doubt about it.
User avatar
3Peatkb24
 
Posts: 6062
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:54 am
Has thanked: 860 times
Been thanked: 359 times

Re: The Lakers Discussion Thread

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:38 pm

@Nuggs is there any reason why the Avatars are set at 90x90 or less pixel wise? It is impossible to change avatars unless we change to one that is already here on this site. It keeps saying the size has to be 90x90 or less when you try to change and almost no avatars are that little. I even tried to change the size through editing and settings of some of my pics but could not do it.
User avatar
3Peatkb24
 
Posts: 6062
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:54 am
Has thanked: 860 times
Been thanked: 359 times

Re: The Lakers Discussion Thread

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:26 pm

Had we stayed even remotely healthy, we would have likely been a 7th seed at worst, which would have been enough for Laker Nation to feel ok if not downright excited about. The LeBron injury along with the other missed games by our key core, mixed in with a disturbing inconsistency all year, combined with all the stupid trade drama and finished off by a harder schedule after the ASG, have us looking and feeling ridiculous. The players picked after Ball who are bonafide productive stars in the league now have our FO looking bad - not to mention the flourishing of Russell and Randle. Some of the one-year players (Rondo, McGee and Stevenson) along with Chandler and possibly KCP were probably going to move on anyway, so whatever happened this year may not have been the longterm plan anyway, but damn we are so starved for some NBA relevance that these latest concussions have us sick to our stomachs. At least the offseason will be . . uh, interesting!
User avatar
lakerevolution
 
Posts: 2297
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:36 pm
Has thanked: 178 times
Been thanked: 355 times

Re: The Lakers Discussion Thread

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:30 am

lakerevolution wrote:Had we stayed even remotely healthy, we would have likely been a 7th seed at worst, which would have been enough for Laker Nation to feel ok if not downright excited about. The LeBron injury along with the other missed games by our key core, mixed in with a disturbing inconsistency all year, combined with all the stupid trade drama and finished off by a harder schedule after the ASG, have us looking and feeling ridiculous. The players picked after Ball who are bonafide productive stars in the league now have our FO looking bad - not to mention the flourishing of Russell and Randle. Some of the one-year players (Rondo, McGee and Stevenson) along with Chandler and possibly KCP were probably going to move on anyway, so whatever happened this year may not have been the longterm plan anyway, but damn we are so starved for some NBA relevance that these latest concussions have us sick to our stomachs. At least the offseason will be . . uh, interesting!


This season has been a cluster fuck to put it nicely. There is plenty of blame to go around but I put most of it on LeBron. LeBron is supposed to be the best player in the league and can even get us to an 8 Seed, that is a real head scratcher. He had his chance over the last 2 weeks being healthy to get us on a roll and failed. He also seems like he doesn't like his teammates which means this unit could never find chemistry. I put a lot of the blame on coaching as well. Luke at times looks like he doesn't have a clue on what he is doing. Like he's over his head. Here is how I would break down % wise on why we will miss the playoffs:
LeBron 45% of the reason
Luke 25% of the reason
Ball's injury 20% of the reason, this hurt our chemistry and our defense
Magic/FO 10% because we should've re-signed Randle, that has really been Magic's only bad move. The Zubac trade was a bit puzzling too. However the FO is responsible for drafting Kuzma and Ball and bringing in LeBron so it is hard to give them a huge chunk of the blame. Kuzma is a solid good player and when healthy Ball is no scrub. LeBron was just a surprising fail this season.
User avatar
3Peatkb24
 
Posts: 6062
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:54 am
Has thanked: 860 times
Been thanked: 359 times

Re: The Lakers Discussion Thread

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:45 pm

No more Ingram. LeBron certainly didn't amaze after returning from his injury and is now no longer considered "the best player" in the current league. That's cool though - he's still a stat machine and is the best all-around player in the NBA, and I know he isn't here to lose games nor miss the playoffs. That being said, we HAVE TO be better next year or, like Kenny says, our entire franchise may have to have a major overhaul. No matter what, we have to stay true to our Lakers and keep hope alive that our fortunes will turn.
User avatar
lakerevolution
 
Posts: 2297
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:36 pm
Has thanked: 178 times
Been thanked: 355 times

Re: The Lakers Discussion Thread

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:25 pm

lakerevolution wrote:No more Ingram. LeBron certainly didn't amaze after returning from his injury and is now no longer considered "the best player" in the current league. That's cool though - he's still a stat machine and is the best all-around player in the NBA, and I know he isn't here to lose games nor miss the playoffs. That being said, we HAVE TO be better next year or, like Kenny says, our entire franchise may have to have a major overhaul. No matter what, we have to stay true to our Lakers and keep hope alive that our fortunes will turn.


This is very sad and potentially scary news about B.I. Prayers, vibes and whatever we have in our hearts go out to Brandon Ingram.







Also this (not surprising):



I dunno, brethren. Obviously, this is another lost season, but this makes the off season all that more difficult for the front office. FUCK!!! :panic:
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #17 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
User avatar
KobeMVP888
 
Posts: 2902
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:16 pm
Has thanked: 321 times
Been thanked: 489 times

PreviousNext

Return to LakerTalk



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests