Comparing era's talk, 3Peat's Greatest players

Comparing era's talk, 3Peat's Greatest players

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:43 pm

I actually went over to Tom's for the 1st time in a long while and was reading some Posts. The great Tate Posted some video regarding Wilt and than a debate broke out on how great Wilt would be in this era? It's really impossible to compare era's because play back in the 50's and 60's was much different than play in the 80's/90's/and now since 2000. I think Rev said it best, when he basically said I should just do my list's from the 1977 Season and on because that is when the ABA/NBA merged. The NBA then had all the best athlete's and 7 footers combined into 1 league. Best way to probably say who the best players are is to break it down from 1947-1976, and 1977 through the present.

IMO the Top 8 players from the 1947 Season when Basketball started through the 1976 Season were:
1. Wilt Chamberlain - Yes he would be #1 on this list
2. Bill Russell
3. Oscar Robertson
4. Jerry West
5. John Havlicek
6. Elgin Baylor
7. George Mikan
8. Bob Cousy

From the 1977 Season- present I would say:
1. Michael Jordan
2. Magic Johnson
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Tim Duncan
6. Shaq O'Neal
7. LeBron James
8. Larry Bird over Hakeem Olajuwon, Bird won more league mvp's and championships being the best player on his team.
-based on stats, overall games won, championships won, league mvp's won, finals mvp's won, clutch play by these players, dominance at their position, and eye test. Of course before 1977 I had no eye test but have seen film on the players from 1947-1976 and to me Wilt was #1 on that list. Kareem belongs in the 1977-present era, he won 5 Championships during that time and 2 of his League MVP's + 1 of his 2 Finals MVP's getting it against the Celtics in 1985! + He played 13 seasons in that era compared to 7 in the other. Kareem did win League MVP in 1977 right after the merge which is big.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Re: Comparing era's talk, 3Peat's Greatest players

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:26 am

3Peatkb24 wrote:I actually went over to Tom's for the 1st time in a long while and was reading some Posts. The great Tate Posted some video regarding Wilt and than a debate broke out on how great Wilt would be in this era? It's really impossible to compare era's because play back in the 50's and 60's was much different than play in the 80's/90's/and now since 2000. I think Rev said it best, when he basically said I should just do my list's from the 1977 Season and on because that is when the ABA/NBA merged. The NBA then had all the best athlete's and 7 footers combined into 1 league. Best way to probably say who the best players are is to break it down from 1947-1976, and 1977 through the present.

IMO the Top 8 players from the 1947 Season when Basketball started through the 1976 Season were:
2. Bill Russell
3. Oscar Robertson
4. Jerry West
5. John Havlicek
6. Elgin Baylor
7. George Mikan
8. Bob Cousy

1. Michael Jordan
2. Magic Johnson
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Tim Duncan
6. Shaq O'Neal
7. LeBron James
8. Larry Bird over Hakeem Olajuwon, Bird won more league mvp's and championships being the best player on his team.
-based on stats, overall games won, championships won, league mvp's won, finals mvp's won, clutch play by these players, dominance at their position, and eye test. Of course before 1977 I had no eye test but have seen film on the players from 1947-1976 and to me Wilt was #1 on that list. Kareem belongs in the 1977-present era, he won 5 Championships during that time and 2 of his League MVP's + 1 of his 2 Finals MVP's getting it against the Celtics in 1985! + He played 13 seasons in that era compared to 7 in the other. Kareem did win League MVP in 1977 right after the merge which is big.

If I had to choose 1 guy from the ABA that was the best, that would've been Doctor J. He averaged 28.8 Points per game in his 5 seasons in that league and won 2 Championships and 2 Playoff MVP's. A true unreal talent! He was also named to the all-time ABA Team.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:20 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:I actually went over to Tom's for the 1st time in a long while and was reading some Posts. The great Tate Posted some video regarding Wilt and than a debate broke out on how great Wilt would be in this era? It's really impossible to compare era's because play back in the 50's and 60's was much different than play in the 80's/90's/and now since 2000. I think Rev said it best, when he basically said I should just do my list's from the 1977 Season and on because that is when the ABA/NBA merged. The NBA then had all the best athlete's and 7 footers combined into 1 league. Best way to probably say who the best players are is to break it down from 1947-1976, and 1977 through the present.

2. Bill Russell
3. Oscar Robertson
4. Jerry West
5. John Havlicek
6. Elgin Baylor
7. George Mikan
8. Bob Cousy

1. Michael Jordan
2. Magic Johnson
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Tim Duncan
6. Shaq O'Neal
7. LeBron James

Here's the real question, was Basketball better from 1947 through the 1976 Season or has it been better since the 1977 Season - Present. In a series who would win between:
Team A
PG Oscar Robertson
SG Jerry West
SF Elgin Baylor - Was a true SF
PF Bill Russell - I will put him here because Wilt is my Center
C Wilt Chamberlain

Main Bench players
John Havlicek - SG and played SF as well.
George Mikan - C, can play PF as well if need be
Bob Cousy - PG
-Coached by Red Auerbach

Team B
PG Magic Johnson
SG Michael Jordan
SF LeBron James
PF Tim Duncan
C Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Main Bench players
Kobe Bryant - SG/SF, Kobe could even play a little PG if need be.
Shaq O'Neal - C
Larry Bird - SF, could play PF in a pinch because of his Rebounding
-Coached by Phil Jackson

I think the answer is obvious who would win here and I took the best 8 possible players Team A can have.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:31 pm

2. Bill Russell
3. Oscar Robertson
4. Jerry West
5. John Havlicek
6. Elgin Baylor
7. George Mikan
8. Bob Cousy

1. Michael Jordan
2. Magic Johnson
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Tim Duncan
6. Shaq O'Neal
7. LeBron James

Nothing has still changed regarding my lists here which I broke down into 2 different times. It's interesting watching these young guys today. I cant see 1 player now that is even close to being better than any of the above players I mentioned from either time. LeBron is already on the list. Maybe Stephen Curry eventually? Kevin Durant hurt his legacy by leaving OKC IMO, Great talent but if the Warriors win it all and someone says he is now only Great because he has a Ring, that is BS. He should joining that team. I think LeBron's Championships were cheap in Miami but he won last season in Cleveland so that is very legit.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:33 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:

2. Bill Russell
3. Oscar Robertson
4. Jerry West
5. John Havlicek
6. Elgin Baylor
7. George Mikan
8. Bob Cousy

1. Michael Jordan
2. Magic Johnson
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Tim Duncan
6. Shaq O'Neal
7. LeBron James

Nothing has still changed regarding my lists here which I broke down into 2 different times. It's interesting watching these young guys today. I cant see 1 player now that is even close to being better than any of the above players I mentioned from either time. LeBron is already on the list. Maybe Stephen Curry eventually? Kevin Durant hurt his legacy by leaving OKC IMO, Great talent but if the Warriors win it all and someone says he is now only Great because he has a Ring, that is BS. He should joining that team. I think LeBron's Championships were cheap in Miami but he won last season in Cleveland so that is very legit.

I think LeBron will be stuck on 3! I don't see anyone beating the Warriors as March comes to an end. Durant is getting healthy and they are very close to clinching HCA. Cavs have actually looked pretty bad in March going 6-10 for the month.
3Peatkb24

Postby Lakers4Life » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:05 am

3Peatkb24 wrote:

2. Bill Russell
3. Oscar Robertson
4. Jerry West
5. John Havlicek
6. Elgin Baylor
7. George Mikan
8. Bob Cousy

1. Michael Jordan
2. Magic Johnson
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Tim Duncan
6. Shaq O'Neal
7. LeBron James

Here's the real question, was Basketball better from 1947 through the 1976 Season or has it been better since the 1977 Season - Present. In a series who would win between:
Team A
PG Oscar Robertson
SG Jerry West
SF Elgin Baylor - Was a true SF
PF Bill Russell - I will put him here because Wilt is my Center
C Wilt Chamberlain

Main Bench players
John Havlicek - SG and played SF as well.
George Mikan - C, can play PF as well if need be
Bob Cousy - PG
-Coached by Red Auerbach

Team B
PG Magic Johnson
SG Michael Jordan
SF LeBron James
PF Tim Duncan
C Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Main Bench players
Kobe Bryant - SG/SF, Kobe could even play a little PG if need be.
Shaq O'Neal - C
Larry Bird - SF, could play PF in a pinch because of his Rebounding
-Coached by Phil Jackson

I think the answer is obvious who would win here and I took the best 8 possible players Team A can have.

I think it would be interesting. Old School vs New School. But I wouldn't be so quick to nominate team B as the winner. I give team A a huge advantage in DEFENSE, overall fundamentals of the game and IQ.
Lakers4Life

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue May 02, 2017 12:08 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:

2. Bill Russell
3. Oscar Robertson
4. Jerry West
5. John Havlicek
6. Elgin Baylor
7. George Mikan
8. Bob Cousy

1. Michael Jordan
2. Magic Johnson
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Tim Duncan
6. Shaq O'Neal
7. LeBron James
-These rankings are based on stats, overall games won, championships won, league mvp's won, finals mvp's won, clutch play by these players, dominance at their position, a players leadership, and eye test. Of course before 1977 I had no eye test but have seen film on the players from 1947-1976 and to me Wilt was #1 on that list. Kareem belongs in the 1977-present era, he won 5 Championships during that time and 2 of his League MVP's + 1 of his 2 Finals MVP's getting it against the Celtics in 1985! + He played 13 seasons in that era compared to 7 in the other. Kareem did win League MVP in 1977 right after the merge which is big.

If I had to choose 1 guy from the ABA that was the best, that would've been Doctor J. He averaged 28.8 Points per game in his 5 seasons in that league and won 2 Championships and 2 Playoff MVP's. A true unreal talent! He was also named to the all-time ABA Team.

So if LeBron somehow wins the Championship this season where would he rank on a list of players since the ABA/NBA merger (1977-now)? I have him a hair better than Bird after the way he led his team back from 1-3 down against the Warriors last season without HCA. I still think Bird is arguably just as great and actually a better clutch player but LeBron's overall game is tough to ignore. I currently have him 7th best, to me Shaq was still more dominant and still has more Championships with 3 straight Finals MVP's from 2000-2002 and Duncan has 5 Championships + his teams have beat LeBron teams twice in the Finals. I think Kobe at #4 is safe for now, LeBron would have to win at least 2 more Championships for me to even entertain the thought that he could pass Kobe.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue May 02, 2017 1:47 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:

2. Bill Russell
3. Oscar Robertson
4. Jerry West
5. John Havlicek
6. Elgin Baylor
7. George Mikan
8. Bob Cousy

1. Michael Jordan
2. Magic Johnson
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Tim Duncan
6. Shaq O'Neal
7. LeBron James
-These rankings are based on stats, overall games won, championships won, league mvp's won, finals mvp's won, clutch play by these players, dominance at their position, a players leadership, and eye test. Of course before 1977 I had no eye test but have seen film on the players from 1947-1976 and to me Wilt was #1 on that list. Kareem belongs in the 1977-present era, he won 5 Championships during that time and 2 of his League MVP's + 1 of his 2 Finals MVP's getting it against the Celtics in 1985! + He played 13 seasons in that era compared to 7 in the other. Kareem did win League MVP in 1977 right after the merge which is big.

So if LeBron somehow wins the Championship this season where would he rank on a list of players since the ABA/NBA merger (1977-now)? I have him a hair better than Bird after the way he led his team back from 1-3 down against the Warriors last season without HCA. I still think Bird is arguably just as great and actually a better clutch player but LeBron's overall game is tough to ignore. I currently have him 7th best, to me Shaq was still more dominant and still has more Championships with 3 straight Finals MVP's from 2000-2002 and Duncan has 5 Championships + his teams have beat LeBron teams twice in the Finals. I think Kobe at #4 is safe for now, LeBron would have to win at least 2 more Championships for me to even entertain the thought that he could pass Kobe.

I also want to add other Greats that I left off of each list. For the 1947-1976 list, Bob Pettit just missed my cut for Elite 8 much like Hakeem, MMalone, Doctor J, and KMalone missed it for the 1977-2016 list regarding Elite 8's. I just think their names should be mentioned as they were all Great players. Steph Curry may one day be mentioned in with these players as well but he needs to accomplish much more. If the Warriors win the Championship this season, he is on his way. He already has 2 League MVP's and 1 Championship + IMO he is the best shooter of all-time.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Thu May 04, 2017 11:53 am

I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu May 04, 2017 11:57 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:

Cant go wrong with that list, 2 dominant Centers and Kobe and Jordan are almost clones. Ronny loves him some Kobe, Kobe got him a ring. The best thing we did in 2010 was pick him up though, he was a Defensive master and he came up big in Game 7 vs Boston.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:46 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:

IMO the Top 10 players from the 1947 Season when Basketball started through the 1976 Season were:
2. Bill Russell
3. Oscar Robertson
4. Jerry West
5. John Havlicek
6. Elgin Baylor
7. George Mikan
8. Bob Cousy
9. Bob Pettit
10. Walt Frazier

1. Michael Jordan
2. Magic Johnson
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Tim Duncan
6. Shaq O'Neal
7. LeBron James
8. Larry Bird
9. Hakeem Olajuwon
10. Moses Malone by a hair over Karl Malone, I would probably put Doctor J at 12.
- These rankings are based on Stats, Overall Games Won, Championships Won, League MVP's Won, Finals MVP's Won, Clutch Play by these players, Dominance At Their Position, Leadership that the players had, and Eye Test. Of course before 1977 I had no eye test but have seen film on the players from 1947-1976 and to me Wilt was #1 on that list. Kareem belongs in the 1977-present era, he won 5 Championships during that time and 2 of his League MVP's as well. 1 of his 2 Finals MVP's were won in that era too which was against the Celtics in 1985! + He played 13 seasons in that era compared to 7 in the other. Kareem did win League MVP in 1977 right after the merge which is big.

If I had to choose 1 guy from the ABA that was the best, that would've been Doctor J. He averaged 28.8 Points per game in his 5 seasons in that league and won 2 Championships and 2 Playoff MVP's. A true unreal talent! He was also named to the All-Time ABA Team.

*updated as of May 12th, 2017 and smokified like my Barbecue Pizza! Regarding All-Time teams I would still take either the 1987 or 1988 Lakers over any team. In those 2 seasons nobody was beating those Lakers! They not only had the frontline to deal with any other team that has played, with Kareem and Worthy (and the addition of Mychal Thompson in 1987 after losing to Houston in 1986) but they had the best Leader in the sport history wise in Magic. Magic is also arguably the GOAT! They also could shoot the 3 with Cooper and Scott to hang with the 3 point shooting teams of today. Coop once hit 7 3's in the Finals vs the Celtics in a game.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun May 21, 2017 11:04 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:

IMO the Top 10 players from the 1947 Season when Basketball started through the 1976 Season were:
2. Bill Russell
3. Oscar Robertson
4. Jerry West
5. John Havlicek
6. Elgin Baylor
7. George Mikan
8. Bob Cousy
9. Bob Pettit
10. Walt Frazier

1. Michael Jordan
2. Magic Johnson
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Tim Duncan
6. Shaq O'Neal
7. LeBron James
8. Larry Bird
9. Hakeem Olajuwon
10. Moses Malone by a hair over Karl Malone, I would probably put Doctor J at 12.
- These rankings are based on Stats, Overall Games Won, Championships Won, League MVP's Won, Finals MVP's Won, Clutch Play by these players, Dominance At Their Position, Leadership that the players had, and Eye Test. Of course before 1977 I had no eye test but have seen film on the players from 1947-1976 and to me Wilt was #1 on that list. Kareem belongs in the 1977-present era, he won 5 Championships during that time and 2 of his League MVP's as well. 1 of his 2 Finals MVP's were won in that era too which was against the Celtics in 1985! + He played 13 seasons in that era compared to 7 in the other. Kareem did win League MVP in 1977 right after the merge which is big.

If I had to choose 1 guy from the ABA that was the best, that would've been Doctor J. He averaged 28.8 Points per game in his 5 seasons in that league and won 2 Championships and 2 Playoff MVP's. A true unreal talent! He was also named to the All-Time ABA Team.

*updated as of May 12th, 2017 and smokified like my Barbecue Pizza! Regarding All-Time teams I would still take either the 1987 or 1988 Lakers over any team. In those 2 seasons nobody was beating those Lakers! They not only had the frontline to deal with any other team that has played, with Kareem and Worthy (and the addition of Mychal Thompson in 1987 after losing to Houston in 1986) but they had the best Leader in the sport history wise in Magic. Magic is also arguably the GOAT! They also could shoot the 3 with Cooper and Scott to hang with the 3 point shooting teams of today. Coop once hit 7 3's in the Finals vs the Celtics in a game.

LeBron, the Warriors are lurking buddy! Durant can smell that Ring!
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:23 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:

2. Bill Russell
3. Oscar Robertson
4. Jerry West
5. John Havlicek
6. Elgin Baylor
7. George Mikan
8. Bob Cousy
9. Bob Pettit
10. Walt Frazier

1. Michael Jordan
2. Magic Johnson
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Tim Duncan
6. Shaq O'Neal
7. LeBron James
8. Larry Bird
9. Hakeem Olajuwon

LeBron, the Warriors are lurking buddy! Durant can smell that Ring!

Durant can really smell it now! Updated as of June 8th, 2017. LeBron may get swept "lol4: :silly3:. Durant plays like this for another 3 years, he may be Top 10 Post-Merger real soon and that AINT No Joke as Rakim would rap. Finals aren't complete yet but the Warriors have it in the bag, it's just a matter of will they go undefeated now? 1 more win and they will.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:09 am

O'Shea Jackson aka Ice Cube would agree with you that the 1987 Lakers remain as the greatest team all-time. A good mix of offense, defense, paint presence and long-range ability. Having dispatched Bird and the Celtics for good, they took on the best of the West in 1988 and (barely) got past the deadly Bad Boys for the first modern-era repeat. These Warriors, having dispatched LeBron, may just rule the NBA for the next few years.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:35 am

lakerevolution wrote:O'Shea Jackson aka Ice Cube would agree with you that the 1987 Lakers remain as the greatest team all-time. A good mix of offense, defense, paint presence and long-range ability. Having dispatched Bird and the Celtics for good, they took on the best of the West in 1988 and (barely) got past the deadly Bad Boys for the first modern-era repeat. These Warriors, having dispatched LeBron, may just rule the NBA for the next few years.

Ice Cube is 100% correct, I would also put the 1996 Bulls in the convo because they had the GOAT player in Jordan, they were also arguably the Greatest Defensive team ever with Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman. Pippen would hamper Durant a bit, Phil would put Jordan on Curry IMO, and Rodman is actually crazier than Draymond. That leaves Klay Thompson but the Bulls also had Toni Kukoc to somewhat counter that.
3Peatkb24

Next

Return to LakerTalk