(11-45)Image at Image(28-26)

Sunday, February 21, 2015, 5:00 PM PDT
United Center, Chicago, Illinois

Referees: Scott Foster, David Guthrie , Ben Taylor

Line: Bulls -7

Image Image

GAME PREVIEW: LAKERS AT BULLS

By JEFF BARTL, NBA.com

Twice during his illustrious career Kobe Bryant flirted with joining the Chicago Bulls to follow in Michael Jordan's footsteps and add more championship banners to the six His Airness helped hang at the United Center.

He's never been shy about admitting his past desire to play in Chicago, either. But instead of changing the Bulls' history, Bryant remained with the Los Angeles Lakers both times and won the last two of his five championship rings with current Chicago big man Pau Gasol.

Bryant has played in Chicago fewer times than any other place heading into Sunday night's final trip to the Windy City, which he's said nearly became his home.

Before signing a seven-year deal as a free agent with the Lakers (11-45) in the summer of 2004, Bryant met with Bulls executive John Paxson and reportedly was close to threatening general manager Mitch Kupchak to engineer a sign-and-trade deal that would send him to the Bulls (28-26) or risk losing him for nothing.

Bryant then suffered through three disappointing seasons in Los Angeles following the deal and demanded a trade prior to 2007-08. He said in an interview in recent years that "Chicago was my No. 1 choice," and the clubs reportedly presented him with an agreed-upon deal that would've given Bryant his wish.

He scoffed at the fact then-Bulls standouts Luol Deng and Ben Gordon were included in the package and vetoed the trade thinking it would significantly deplete the Bulls' talent since he desired to play for a winner.

The Lakers acquired Gasol during the following season and lost in the Finals before winning the next two championships. Although everything worked out for Bryant, he's looking forward to his last trip to Chicago, a place he says has "a special significance to me personally."

His 14 games road games against the Bulls are his fewest against any team as a visitor during his 20-year career.

Bryant will play despite dislocating his right middle finger and returning after having it popped back in to place during Friday's 119-113 loss to San Antonio, the Lakers' fourth straight defeat. X-rays following the game showed there was no break.

He scored 25 points despite the setback and is averaging 24.9 over his last seven. Bryant, though, scored only 10 and shot 4 of 13 from the field in the first meeting with Chicago on Jan. 28, as Gasol finished with 21 points, 12 rebounds and seven assists in the Bulls' 114-91 victory.

Gasol, who played 6 1/2 years with Bryant in Los Angeles before signing with Chicago prior to last season, barely missed a triple-double Friday with 18 points, 11 boards and nine assists in a 116-106 home win over Toronto that snapped the Bulls' five-game skid.

Chicago hadn't won since Jimmy Butler suffered a sprained knee Feb. 5 at Denver, but Doug McDermott went 13 of 17 from the field and finished with a career-high 30 points off the bench.

"We needed that," said Derrick Rose, who added 26 points and six assists. "Doug came out and played aggressively."

McDermott is averaging only 8.6 points on the season, but he's scored in double figures in five of his last seven. He had 15 while hitting 3 of 6 from 3-point range in the first meeting with the Lakers.

"It was a long time coming," McDermott said. "There's been a lot of ups and downs so far and I just stayed with it. It's just one game so I'm not going to get too high on myself, but it's definitely a good start for my confidence. ... Hopefully I can build off it."

The Bulls have won seven of the last nine meetings, including the last four in Chicago. Bryant missed the previous four matchups before last month's meeting.

http://www.nba.com/games/20160221/LALCHI/gameinfo.html
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Gm 57: Lakers at Bulls GAME THREAD

Postby Lakers4Life » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:09 pm

Kobe & Pau on the court together for the last time! Vamos Pau!
Lakers4Life

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:49 pm

3Peat with the late check in. Been busy here at work but can follow the game a little now. Down 93-81 in the 3rd Qtr so it doesn't look like I have missed much. On a positive note I see Randle has 20/10. At this point being 11-45, I really want a Top 3 Draft pick anyway so I am good either way what happens from here on out. I always want to see us win but if we can get our hands on Ben Simmons I'll take that as well.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:18 pm

Hanging tough, only down 110-107 with 446 left. It's a 3 point game. If we had any kind of Defense we would've been much better than this season. Already given up 110 with 446 in the 4th. Byron should put Kobe back in, crowd wants it.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:31 pm

Really sad watching Kobe walk off the court for the last time in some of these arena's. It's sad that we are so bad in his last season. Another loss puts us at 11-46 and the Ben Simmons watch continues.
3Peatkb24

Postby Lakers4Life » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:00 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:Really sad watching Kobe walk off the court for the last time in some of these arena's. It's sad that we are so bad in his last season. Another loss puts us at 11-46 and the Ben Simmons watch continues.

Yeah. Me too. Watching Kobe say goodbye to The United Center tonight reminded me of Jordan's farewell.

As far as the draft goes....Its a 2 man draft. If we don't get Simmons or Ingram then sucking this year again would be for not.
Lakers4Life

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:07 pm

Lakers4Life wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:Really sad watching Kobe walk off the court for the last time in some of these arena's. It's sad that we are so bad in his last season. Another loss puts us at 11-46 and the Ben Simmons watch continues.

Yeah. Me too. Watching Kobe say goodbye to The United Center tonight reminded me of Jordan's farewell.

As far as the draft goes....Its a 2 man draft. If we don't get Simmons or Ingram then sucking this year again would be for not.

Yeah we need a Top 2 I agree because the 3rd pick is really a crap shoot. Simmons should end up being Great and Ingram Good at worse. Who knows about the others? We wont take Buddy Heild because we already have Russell and Clarkson.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:38 pm

Hey fellas been crazy busy with life and stuff, my bad for not checking in. The Kobe Farewell Tour continues as we all just keep our wet jerseys on a wire to dry. I hate being stuck in limbo like this, but - as Bulls fans can understand - enjoying the exploits of a legendary player comes with enduring years of down-time as the franchise tries to find itself again. I'll say this - I'd rather have a couple championship years with Charmin-soft Pau then watch Derrick "Glass Joe" Rose suffer through a non-career of missed chances.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:46 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Hey fellas been crazy busy with life and stuff, my bad for not checking in. The Kobe Farewell Tour continues as we all just keep our wet jerseys on a wire to dry. I hate being stuck in limbo like this, but - as Bulls fans can understand - enjoying the exploits of a legendary player comes with enduring years of down-time as the franchise tries to find itself again. I'll say this - I'd rather have a couple championship years with Charmin-soft Pau then watch Derrick "Glass Joe" Rose suffer through a non-career of missed chances.

LOL, Glass Joe = Tyson's punch out! Great stuff Rev. It looks like you got me in the Fantasy league this week 7-3. I am only up 6 in the win column and 3 in the loss column. It could get interesting. I need to definitely play above .500 ball in these last 3 weeks to hold my lead for 2nd place. Regarding Posting, it's no bigge as this has been the worse season in Lakers history. Nobody is really Posting much. I am not even Posting as much as I normally do, just Posting enough to keep this place lively. I think most people in here are depressed Kobe is retiring and just looking forward to the Draft and Free Agency at this point. I just wish Kobe could've went out like Peyton is with another Ring! That is the best way possible to go out.
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk