Other NBA discussion

Re: Other NBA discussion

Postby lakerevolution » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:02 am

Much of America's Heartland and South, and Texas, Florida and even parts of California are populated in or near big cities with more liberal/"not overtly conservative or bigoted" citizens. The suburbs and outskirts all the way to the rural and wide-open country spaces tend to harbor people who despise or are intimidated by the liberal, progressive and more diverse parts of their state. Having guns is a traditional cultural thing, like fixing up muscle cars, hunting or drinking beer with your buddies. After 8 years of Barack's liberal love-fest with much of the globe, pig-headed conservatives (who began bashing him the instant he was elected) couldn't take any more Democratic rule and basically backlashed at the polls in the tens of millions. Pretty crazy country that can go from Barack to The Donald so suddenly. Most liberals - even the ones who didn't care for Hilary - believed there was no way a guy like Agent Orange could ever become President. But here we are.

As for the mass gun violence, we've been dealing with it for generations but the weapons and the perpetrators are getting harder to stop. That being said, I have just as much of an issue with black men in Chicago, LA and Oakland murdering each other as I do with white guys flipping out on some bigoted/anti-social shit and gunning down masses of people. It's all senseless. For Kerr and Popovich - two white men who have spent nearly their entire lives working with black men - the perspective on what our government is and is not doing to take steps against all of this must be starkly different than the average American. Having said THAT . . there are literally billions of dollars being paid to these athletes and coaches, and while many of them financially support charities and have their own community organizations, I am one of many who feel that their socio-cultural influence and outrageous incomes could be used in a much better way.

Michael Jordan has been roundly criticized in the African-American community for his relative lack of vocal and financial support where it is needed, while he makes billions off of his shoes - largely bought by that same community. I guess you can separate our America into those who want things to stay the same and those who desperately want to see change. And the fence-sitters :wishbone:
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:43 am

Reason why it is tough for me to talk politics is because I am not a diehard Conservative or a diehard Liberal. I just go with what I think it is right for the country. I have some Conservative friends that love Donny and I have some Liberal friends that wanted Hillary in and loved Barack. I wish the whole country could be that way as I try to get along with everyone and hear both side of things on each issue. I have more Liberal friends overall because most people do not like Donny that I hang without it or chat with. Who on the Democratic side will run against Agent Orange in 2020?

I did not vote in 2016 because I did not like either candidates, I voted for Barack in 2008 and 2012 for the record. In 2008 John McCain was a weak opponent IMO and old, I wanted change so no way was I voting for him. I liked Barack and thought he was the best man for our country back in 2008. After Bush I wanted change I guess. In 2016 there was something about Hillary that did not seem right and I have always thought Donny was shady. Hillary was no where near as great to Bill Clinton or Barack when she spoke in her debates. I just did not like her, that is me.

Hillary would've won Indiana but the reason she did not was because of Mike Pence has a presence here, JMO. Another question is how did she lose Michigan and Ohio? That cost her the election basically along with Florida. Something went wrong.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:03 pm

With apologies to my Brother Another Mother From Jesus aka NYC Laker . . I just wasn't feeling the Bern. I live in literally the most progressive, liberal and revolutionary area in the entire country but California is not some crazy liberal-controlled circus as many in the Heartland and other more conservative places imagine. We have a lot of free-thinkers and diverse viewpoints among our various communities. You might meet a transsexual "man" who has strictly Republican views . . not all black people liked Barack and many are conservatives . . and of course there are millions of white folks who vocally support the spirit behind #BLM and fighting oppression towards other ethnicities whether they be Muslims or Hispanic immigrants.

Not sure where Asians stand on all this :waaaaa: Don't ask Jeremy Lin, he's in his feelings right now :snapout: :imok:

GO LAKERS!!!! This is going to be the most epic season since 2010. I pray for health and quick success and if we somehow make it to the Finals . . 3peat you GOTTA fly out to LA!!
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:45 pm

lakerevolution wrote:With apologies to my Brother Another Mother From Jesus aka NYC Laker . . I just wasn't feeling the Bern. I live in literally the most progressive, liberal and revolutionary area in the entire country but California is not some crazy liberal-controlled circus as many in the Heartland and other more conservative places imagine. We have a lot of free-thinkers and diverse viewpoints among our various communities. You might meet a transsexual "man" who has strictly Republican views . . not all black people liked Barack and many are conservatives . . and of course there are millions of white folks who vocally support the spirit behind #BLM and fighting oppression towards other ethnicities whether they be Muslims or Hispanic immigrants.

Not sure where Asians stand on all this :waaaaa: Don't ask Jeremy Lin, he's in his feelings right now :snapout: :imok:

GO LAKERS!!!! This is going to be the most epic season since 2010. I pray for health and quick success and if we somehow make it to the Finals . . 3peat you GOTTA fly out to LA!!

I feel ya brethren. We are going to win it all in 2020. I called it in 2010. :cheers: . I remember telling Kenny I knew we had it in 2010 all along in Game 7 :roflmao: . He said no way lol, Ok I lied a little because I was nervous but I did not actually think Kobe would let us lose a Game 7 at home against the pukes with Phil coaching.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:22 am

Through 15% of the season, the top 8 Western seeds all have winning records while only the top 6 East teams do. It's been this way, more or less, for years. Would the NBA be leaner and meaner by only allowing the top 6 seeds from each conference into the playoffs? These guys play so many games as it is, and as entertaining as it might be for fans to see their team squeeze into the playoffs, there have only been 5 upsets in a 1-vs.-8 first round series since the league went to its current format in 1984 - and two of those happened in strike-shortened seasons (1999 and 2012). Two others were mainly due to severe injuries to key players. Only the Knicks in 1999 managed to make it all the way to the Finals. *The first round expanded from a best-of-5 to a best-of-7 in 2003.

"The most common criticism of the current structure is related to parity of conferences. On numerous occasions, Eastern Conference teams with losing records qualified for the playoffs, while Western Conference teams with winning records ended up missing them, including the 2011, 2013 and the 2015 NBA playoffs." - ESPN

Here's an article from our friends at B/R that explains it best:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/117 ... mat#slide5
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:29 pm

PHILADELPHIA -- It finally happened. After more than two seasons and in his 172nd NBA game, Philadelphia 76ers star Ben Simmons made a 3-pointer.

It had been almost four years -- since Nov. 30, 2015, when Simmons was a freshman at LSU playing against the College of Charleston -- since he made a 3-pointer in a competitive game.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/281 ... -3-pointer
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:57 pm

I had more than my share of :pullhair: :snapout: moments with this guy for two years, but he's an international legend whose NBA career may be effectively over. Thank you for your service, Pau. :LOBtrophy: :LOBtrophy:

"Pau Gasol, 39, has been unable to successfully rehab his left foot following surgery.

Gasol said the Blazers are working on details of a coaching role for the future Hall of Famer. Gasol has two championships and six All-Star appearances in his 18 NBA seasons. He is remaining in Portland to rehab.

He signed with the Milwaukee Bucks after a buyout with the San Antonio Spurs last season but played only three games with Milwaukee before a season-ending foot injury."
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:31 pm

lakerevolution wrote:PHILADELPHIA -- It finally happened. After more than two seasons and in his 172nd NBA game, Philadelphia 76ers star Ben Simmons made a 3-pointer.

It had been almost four years -- since Nov. 30, 2015, when Simmons was a freshman at LSU playing against the College of Charleston -- since he made a 3-pointer in a competitive game.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/281 ... -3-pointer

That is hard to believe that someone that great hadn't hit a 3 pointer in 172 games played. At 48 years old with a beer belly I could hit at least 1 3 pointer in garbage time playing in 1 game :roflmao:. I would make Ben shoot 1000 3's a day until he gets it.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:32 pm

lakerevolution wrote:I had more than my share of :pullhair: :snapout: moments with this guy for two years, but he's an international legend whose NBA career may be effectively over. Thank you for your service, Pau. :LOBtrophy: :LOBtrophy:

"Pau Gasol, 39, has been unable to successfully rehab his left foot following surgery.

Gasol said the Blazers are working on details of a coaching role for the future Hall of Famer. Gasol has two championships and six All-Star appearances in his 18 NBA seasons. He is remaining in Portland to rehab.

He signed with the Milwaukee Bucks after a buyout with the San Antonio Spurs last season but played only three games with Milwaukee before a season-ending foot injury."

Without Gasol, we do not win it all in 2009 and 2010. He will have his number retired at Staples and well deserved.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:57 pm

The NBA is engaged in serious discussions with the National Basketball Players Association and broadcast partners on sweeping, dramatic changes to the league calendar that would include a reseeding of the four conference finalists, a 30-team in-season tournament and a postseason play-in, league sources told ESPN. These scenarios would come with the shortening of the regular season to a minimum of 78 games, league sources said.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/281 ... on-play-in
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:16 pm

Westbrook just put 40 on the Clippers, Rockets win at LA. Clippers are real beatable. Westbrook made Beverly and the Clippers his bitch :roflmao:
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:51 pm

The local rock station out here just said former NBA stud Rex Chapman (whose birthday it is today) is a great Twitter follow. Kenny -- get on it and let us know if there's any THERE there :thumbsup:
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:04 pm

Mavs lose to the Nuggets 107-106!!!
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:59 am

Victor Oladipo says he will make his return on January 29th in Indy vs the Bulls. That should catapult the Pacers to the 2nd best team in the East only behind the Bucks in the long run. Oladipo's Pacers took LeBron's Cavs 7 games in the 2018 playoffs. The Pacers all-star Guard says he feels stronger than ever and is ready for a championship run.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:28 pm

Victor Oladipo in his first game back in 1 year made a game tying 3 point shot vs the Bulls tonight to send the Pacers/Bulls game to OT. It was a fadeaway from 30 feet out. Pacers went on to win 115-106. After the game, Victor said that was for Kobe and the Mamba mentality. He said he knew the shot was going in as it was meant to be. GREAT STUFF!
3Peatkb24

PreviousNext

Return to LakerTalk