Game 82: 04/09/19 Trail Blazers at Lakers GAME THREAD

Game 82: 04/09/19 Trail Blazers at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:07 am

(51-29) TRAIL BLAZERS AT LAKERS (37-44)

Tuesday, April 9, 2019, 7:30 PM PDT
Staples Center • Los Angeles, CA

Referees: Ed Malloy (#14), Ben Taylor (#46), JB DeRosa (#62)

Replay Center: Mike Callahan, Ron Garretson, Marat Kogut, Gediminas Petraitis

Line: Blazers -9

Local TV: Spectrum SportsNet

GAME PREVIEW: TRAIL BLAZERS AT LAKERS

by NBA.com

The visiting Portland Trail Blazers can clinch home-court advantage in the first round of the playoffs with a win against the Los Angeles Lakers on Tuesday.

The Trail Blazers enter Tuesday with a two-game lead over the Utah Jazz for fourth place in the Western Conference with two games left for each team.

Portland can also clinch the No. 4 seed if the Jazz lose to the visiting Denver Nuggets in a matchup set to begin about 90 minutes before tip-off in Los Angeles.

The Lakers aided Portland's chances of earning home-court advantage in the first round by defeating the visiting Jazz 113-109 on Sunday night.

The Trail Blazers realize home-court advantage in the first round is just a small step in their overall goal. Portland finished third in the West last season, then got swept by the New Orleans Pelicans in the first round.

"A lot of teams want (home-court advantage) because if every team wins every game on their home floor, we'll win that series," Portland point guard Damian Lillard told reporters after a 115-108 win against the Nuggets on Sunday night. "What we learned last year is that doesn't guarantee you're going to win the games at home, but that doesn't mean you don't fight for that position."

The Trail Blazers welcomed back shooting guard CJ McCollum on Sunday. He had missed the previous 10 games with a sprained left knee. McCollum is second on the team in scoring at 21.1 points a game.

McCollum was limited to 25 minutes against the Nuggets, finishing with nine points, six rebounds and six assists.

"I felt like I was moving pretty well," he said. "I felt like my conditioning was in pretty good shape."

The Trail Blazers will be up against a Los Angeles team that has shut down most of its top players for the rest of the season.

LeBron James (groin) and Kyle Kuzma (foot), the top two scorers for the Lakers, have each missed the past five games, third-leading scorer Brandon Ingram (arm) has been out since March 2, and starting point guard Lonzo Ball (ankle) has been sidelined since mid-January.

The shortage of healthy bodies in Los Angeles has opened the door for players like Alex Caruso, Jemerrio Jones and Johnathan Williams to get long looks after spending most of the season in the G League.

Caruso is averaging 19.4 points and seven assists in the past five games, Williams is averaging 14.3 points and 8.7 rebounds in the past three and Jones became the first Los Angeles player in team history on Sunday to grab at least 16 rebounds in his first NBA start.

"It's what you build toward," Lakers coach Luke Walton told reporters after the win against Utah. "You try to get that chemistry. It's a little easier to get it when you're just playing with a couple of guys up from the G League who are just happy to be there."

Portland could still be without a key player as small forward Maurice Harkless left the Denver game with left hip tightness and did not return. He was coming off his best month of the season, averaging 9.3 points and 5.2 rebounds in March.

https://www.nba.com/games/20190409/PORLAL#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 82: 04/09/19 Trail Blazers at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby Moos » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:40 am

Bring Kyrie Irving.
:LOBtrophy:
Moos

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:01 am

"It's what you build toward," Lakers coach Luke Walton told reporters after the win against Utah. "You try to get that chemistry. It's a little easier to get it when you're just playing with a couple of guys up from the G League who are just happy to be there."

:pissedkobe:

More classic, flavorless zingers from The Luke-ster.

Had we been in or around, say, the 6th seed after the ASB, we would certainly have been in a dogfight to hang onto a favorable playoff position with all these conference foes on the late schedule. Hard to see any of them outside of Houston giving the Warriors much of a problem.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:57 am

I am still a fan of Luke Walton. He was given a nearly impossible task to start the season when the stupid front office decided to let Randle and Brook Lopez find new homes and signed Rondo, Beasley and Lance instead. A tandem of Lopez and JaVale McGee with Randle banging inside would have resulted in a playoff birth regardless of the injuries. Luke had nothing to do with the shitshow. Magic and Pelinka should be shown the door, Pelinka at a minimum.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:56 pm

One more (off)season . . but honestly we gotta stop changing personnel so quickly.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:47 pm

lakerevolution wrote:One more (off)season . . but honestly we gotta stop changing personnel so quickly.

Long. Term. Contracts.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:50 pm

Well this is it, last game of the season. This summer is going to be real interesting for the team. For as disappointing this season has been a few of us still hung in there and posted to keep the site busy. I will post a lot on the Baseball thread and comment on the playoffs in the Basketball thread when I can to keep it a little busy in here.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:15 pm

Fun game! The South Bay Lakers played their asses off again. I love this Jemerrio Jones kid. He is really a helluva defensive player and has a real feel for the game. I like Johnathan Williams and Alex Caruso (a must sign), too. I think we'll finally come up fr air next season fellers. Meanwhile, we endured yet another shitshow and we're still standing!!
KobeMVP888

Return to LakerTalk