Game 69: 03/15/19 Lakers at Pistons GAME THREAD

Game 69: 03/15/19 Lakers at Pistons GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:51 am

(31-37) LAKERS AT PISTONS (34-33)

Friday, March 15, 2019, 4:05 PM PDT
Little Caesars Arena • Detroit, MI

Referees: Ed Malloy (#14), Mark Ayotte (#56), Leroy Richardson (#20)

Replay Center: Ray Acosta, Phenizee Ransom, Josh Tiven

Line: Pistons -9

Local TV: Spectrum SportsNet

GAME PREVIEW: LAKERS AT PISTONS

by NBA.COM

One bad game in the midst of a playoff push didn't bother the Detroit Pistons. Back-to-back poor performances? That's a little alarming.

They failed miserably this week against two of the teams they're fighting for a postseason berth, the Brooklyn Nets dismantling them 103-75 on Monday and the Miami Heat shredding them 108-74 on Wednesday.

They'll look to regain some momentum at home on Friday when they face the floundering Los Angeles Lakers.

"After having a tough loss on Monday, I thought we would come out and have a better showing (Wednesday), but we didn't. That's on us," Detroit power forward Blake Griffin told reporters. "We have to be more locked in and ready to go. We (have) to realize what's at stake. These teams that we're playing also have a lot at stake. We need to be more prepared."

Miami scored the first eight points and never trailed Wednesday. The Pistons were down by 12 points after the first quarter but pulled within five by halftime.

Then they completely collapsed after the break, as the Heat scored the first 21 points of the second half. Detroit's eight-point third quarter was its lowest-scoring quarter since November 2012.

"It's a lesson that we have to learn," coach Dwane Casey said after the game. "If we want to make the playoffs, we have to play playoff basketball. It's new to a lot of people with different roles and it's a wakeup call."

Center Andre Drummond saw his franchise-record-tying streak of 19 consecutive double-doubles come to an end against Miami. He had five points and nine rebounds before fouling out midway through the fourth quarter.

The Pistons have bigger concerns with their point guard situation. Starter Reggie Jackson sprained his right ankle in the fourth quarter stepping on teammate Zaza Pachulia's foot. If he's out, the roles of backups Ish Smith and Jose Calderon will expand. Rookie Bruce Brown and Luke Kennard could also get some minutes at the point.

Jackson seemed more concerned with the team's play than his health shortly after the game.

"We need to get on this plane first. It's going to be a little disappointing," he said. "Go home and relax and clear your mind to get ready to play basketball. I think the biggest thing is that we haven't been ourselves and just play basketball."

The Lakers won the first meeting between the teams in Los Angeles. Power forward Kyle Kuzma poured in a career-high 41 points in the Lakers' 113-100 triumph on Jan. 9.

Los Angeles will be playing the second game of a back-to-back. The Lakers lost at Toronto 111-98 on Thursday.

They have dropped six of their last seven while sinking out of the postseason picture. It's a different experience for LeBron James, who had 29 points against the Raptors.

"I mean obviously I would love for the team to be in the postseason," James told the Los Angeles Times. "Even if I'm not a part of it, the postseason I've always loved. But right now it's not the hand I was dealt, so you play the hand that you were dealt until the dealer shuffles the cards and you're dealt another hand and can do that. Definitely I'll be watching it if we're not in there."

Shooting guard Reggie Bullock will play against his former team for the first time since Detroit dealt him to Los Angeles last month.

https://www.nba.com/games/20190315/LALDET#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 69: 03/15/19 Lakers at Pistons GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:53 am

I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:03 pm

"I mean obviously I would love for the team to be in the postseason," James told the Los Angeles Times. "Even if I'm not a part of it, the postseason I've always loved. But right now it's not the hand I was dealt, so you play the hand that you were dealt until the dealer shuffles the cards and you're dealt another hand and can do that. Definitely I'll be watching it if we're not in there."

:WTFface:

He sounds as coherent as the orange menace-in-chief. If he doesn't co-lead us back to a Finals in the next couple years, this trade will go down as the stupidest move ever.

So now "load management" is a thing, like "basketball reasons". Has any other franchise besides us and our Chowderhead buddies been through so much bullshit and drama? I trust in (dream of :waaaaa: ) Jeannie until this shit really hits the fan :fanshithit: . . . as if it hasn't already.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:57 pm

lakerevolution wrote:"I mean obviously I would love for the team to be in the postseason," James told the Los Angeles Times. "Even if I'm not a part of it, the postseason I've always loved. But right now it's not the hand I was dealt, so you play the hand that you were dealt until the dealer shuffles the cards and you're dealt another hand and can do that. Definitely I'll be watching it if we're not in there."

:WTFface:

He sounds as coherent as the orange menace-in-chief. If he doesn't co-lead us back to a Finals in the next couple years, this trade will go down as the stupidest move ever.

So now "load management" is a thing, like "basketball reasons". Has any other franchise besides us and our Chowderhead buddies been through so much bullshit and drama? I trust in (dream of :waaaaa: ) Jeannie until this shit really hits the fan :fanshithit: . . . as if it hasn't already.

I personally don't see how anyone over 45 can be enamored or amazed at LeBron James or what he has accomplished. Anyone that has seen Jordan, Magic, Kobe, and Bird live has already seen the same greatness if not better. To me LeBron isn't any better than those players but yet people thinks his poop doesn't stink. :waaaaa:. Had LeBron came on the scene and won 6 or 7 Championships, then yes I could see it but the dude is 3-6 in Finals and quit on the Cavs in his prime. He left Cleveland because he was scared shitless he would end up like Karl Malone and never win a ring. He knew teaming up with Wade he would at least win 1 ring, he took the easy way out teaming up with a closer/top 25 player ever like Wade. He did at least come back and win 1 in Cleveland but even then it was tainted. That series would've been over in 5 and Green not been suspended. Kyrie Irving also saved his ass with the game winning shot in Game 7.

Peyton Manning was better at Football than LeBron is at Basketball. I bring this up because the 2 get compared a lot because they each have failed in the Playoffs several times. LeBron does have 3 Championships to Peyton's 2 but Peyton never quit on Indianapolis and won before he left. Winning a Championship in football for a QB is much harder than it is in basketball if you are a SuperStar, you need a good defense to help you out as well. When the tough got going he wasn't a pussy. Peyton is also 3-1 vs Tom Brady in AFC Title games and has won 5 MVP's to LeBron's 4. Advantage Peyton IMO.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:08 am

Any time someone brings up the MJ vs. LeBron debate, I want nothing to do with it. They had 82 game cakewalks in the watered down Eastern Conference, while Kobe Bean Bryant didn't get many games off in the West. The short memories that people have against Kobe, or downright hatred, is truly amazing. To fail to include the one guy who was the best all around BASKETBALL PLAYER in this conversation is downright nauseating.

For the record, I fear that Magic Johnson has truly fucked this team up for the foreseeable future. I hold firm on my formula.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:42 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:Any time someone brings up the MJ vs. LeBron debate, I want nothing to do with it. They had 82 game cakewalks in the watered down Eastern Conference, while Kobe Bean Bryant didn't get many games off in the West. The short memories that people have against Kobe, or downright hatred, is truly amazing. To fail to include the one guy who was the best all around BASKETBALL PLAYER in this conversation is downright nauseating.

For the record, I fear that Magic Johnson has truly fucked this team up for the foreseeable future. I hold firm on my formula.

Regarding Kobe, I totally agree that he should be mentioned as a possible top 5 player of all-time and some of the media do not even mention him at all when it comes to Jordan and LeBron. One thing you mentioned that I did not in my rant was LeBron played lousy competition in the East all of those years for the most part. The Pacers had a couple of good teams in 2013 and 2014 and so did Boston from 08-10 (of course in 08 they won it all) but other than that LeBron was playing chumps. Kobe had to deal with the Spurs his entire career and Utah early in his career when they had Stockton and Malone, also OKC when they Durant, Westbrook, and Harden. Kobe played elite competition in the West.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:52 am

3Peatkb24 wrote:Kobe played elite competition in the West.

Let's not forget those Portland teams and the Queens during the 3Peat. In fact, the year the Chowds won it all, 8 teams in the West finished with 50 or more wins. The Warriors won 48 that season and didn't even get into the playoffs. There is a lot more wear and tear cumulatively on the body when you have to play at that level most of the season like that. LeBron and MJ had a few teams in the East to deal with, but nothing like Kobe had.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:01 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:Kobe played elite competition in the West.

Let's not forget those Portland teams and the Queens during the 3Peat. In fact, the year the Chowds won it all, 8 teams in the West finished with 50 or more wins. The Warriors won 48 that season and didn't even get into the playoffs. There is a lot more wear and tear cumulatively on the body when you have to play at that level most of the season like that. LeBron and MJ had a few teams in the East to deal with, but nothing like Kobe had.

Yeah how could I forget the 2002 Queens. The real Finals that year was us vs them. At least Jordan did have to get through the Celtics with Bird, the C's pounded them in Jordan's early years and then those Pistons teams between 1988-1990 were just monstrous.We were even lucky to beat them in 1988. The 1998 Pacers were no slouch either, Reggie wasn't intimidated by Jordan and that ECFinals went 7 tough games. I rank that Pacers team up there with the 2002 Kings and 1997 Jazz. So Jordan at least had some competition to brag about. LeBron had pretty much a cakewalk to the Finals from 2015-2018 after the Pacers were never the same when PG got injured in 2015. He was beating teams like the soft Raptors who were intimidated by him, a Boston team without its best player (Irving), and the choking ass Hawks every year :waaaaa:
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk