Game 66: 03/09/19 Celtics at Lakers GAME THREAD

Game 66: 03/09/19 Celtics at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:30 am

(40-26) CELTICS AT LAKERS (30-35)

Saturday, March 9, 2019, 5:30 PM PDT
Staples Center • Los Angeles, CA

Referees: Zach Zarba (#15), Brian Forte (#45), Kevin Cutler (#34)

Replay Center: Sean Corbin, Lauren Holtkamp, Bill Spooner

Line: Celtics -6

National TV: ABC

GAME PREVIEW: CELTICS AT LAKERS

by NBA.com

A pair of old rivals not only will have a hard time conjuring up their rich history on Saturday night, but they also will find it difficult to repeat the recent past.

The Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers do have a way of moving the storyline forward, but their Saturday matchup in Los Angeles will have a hard time topping even the most recent meeting between the teams in Boston.

Point guard Rajon Rondo pulled out a 129-128 victory for the Lakers on Feb. 7 with a buzzer-beating shot on the floor where he led the Celtics to the 2008 title over the Lakers in the NBA Finals. Even when the Celtics and Lakers aren't knocking heads for a championship, they still know good theater.

The Saturday version of the cross-country rivalry will pit a Celtics team finally gaining traction after a rough post-All-Star break run against a Lakers team that is slipping further out of playoff contention with each game. Los Angeles has lost six of its past seven games, including four in a row.

Now come reports that the Lakers will start reducing LeBron James' minutes over the final month of the season. He might even sit in back-to-back scenarios, but he figures to be well-rested for the Celtics since the Lakers last played Wednesday in a 115-99 defeat against the Denver Nuggets.

James might not have any choice but to play. Brandon Ingram (sore right shoulder), Kyle Kuzma (sprained right ankle) and Lance Stephenson (sprained left toe) are listed as questionable. Tyson Chandler has missed the past two games due to a stiff neck, and Lonzo Ball hasn't played since January when he sprained his left ankle, tore a ligament and came away with a bone bruise.

Los Angeles coach Luke Walton said Friday that Ball might miss the rest of the season.

Despite the team's health woes, Walton continues to preach a positive attitude.

"Guys are upset about losing and where we're at," Walton said. "As we try to continue to build things, you have to build ... you have to be resilient with who you are and who we are as a group. And it's tough times right now.

"We can't let that get us down. We got to continue to develop our habits and continue to work as a group and define how we handle ourselves."

The Celtics know the feeling ... at least a little bit. They lost their first four games after the All-Star break, but have since rebounded to win three of four, including a dominating 128-95 victory at Golden State on Tuesday.

The latest victory came Wednesday at Sacramento when Gordon Hayward hit a shot in the final seconds for a 111-109 decision.

"More than anything, I'm happy for our team, happy that we found a way to win these last two games, especially with what we were going through," Hayward said, according to the Boston Globe. "It's been like this this year. We've had ups and downs. It's been a like a roller coaster."

Boston guard Kyrie Irving, who missed the Wednesday game with a thigh contusion, said Friday he will be back in action Saturday. Irving has missed a dozen games for various ailments this season, with the Celtics going 10-2 in those contests.

He said of opposing his former Cleveland teammate, James, "It's just another game, but going against a great competitor, a teammate like 'Bron is always fun. You just understand that these head-to-head matchups probably will happen for a few more years, and you just want to take advantage of them. Just the great players you get a chance to play against in our league, you always want to play well."

https://www.nba.com/games/20190309/BOSLAL#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 66: 03/09/19 Celtics at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:31 am

I'm posting these just because. Candidly, I am fed up and I have never felt quite this way before. Sell the team. Replace the front office. Get a real training staff. Trade LeBron James. That's my formula for future success. It all starts at the very top.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:11 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:I'm posting these just because. Candidly, I am fed up and I have never felt quite this way before. Sell the team. Replace the front office. Get a real training staff. Trade LeBron James. That's my formula for future success. It all starts at the very top.

As much criticsm Magic had a few years ago when Jimmy Boy was still in the mix, he is now in a position to have to explain to Laker Nation why - despite the unexpected health issues - the Lakers are so out of sorts. Yes, Luke is like a son to him and Brian Shaw should be the perfect assistant with all his experience, but whatever they are doing is clearly not working. Jeannie fought hard to get sole control of her dad's enterprise and immediately did what she thought was best for the Lakers in the new post-Kobe era.

Our draft picks - even the ones who are no longer with us - have proven to be solid NBA players, but the search for team cohesion and chemistry has eluded us for too many years now. The Celtics, to be fair, have drafted well yet are still not achieving at the level they were expected to - which is the next-best thing to longtime Laker fans. They could be gelling at the right time, but still seem to need a dominant big to put them over the top and back in the Finals.

Things happen quickly in this league, and at the end of the day it's just sports entertainment. We can only root for our team, but the players are the ones who need to show the heart, love and determination it takes to become perennial playoff contenders.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:30 pm

lakerevolution wrote:
KobeMVP888 wrote:I'm posting these just because. Candidly, I am fed up and I have never felt quite this way before. Sell the team. Replace the front office. Get a real training staff. Trade LeBron James. That's my formula for future success. It all starts at the very top.

As much criticsm Magic had a few years ago when Jimmy Boy was still in the mix, he is now in a position to have to explain to Laker Nation why - despite the unexpected health issues - the Lakers are so out of sorts. Yes, Luke is like a son to him and Brian Shaw should be the perfect assistant with all his experience, but whatever they are doing is clearly not working. Jeannie fought hard to get sole control of her dad's enterprise and immediately did what she thought was best for the Lakers in the new post-Kobe era.

Our draft picks - even the ones who are no longer with us - have proven to be solid NBA players, but the search for team cohesion and chemistry has eluded us for too many years now. The Celtics, to be fair, have drafted well yet are still not achieving at the level they were expected to - which is the next-best thing to longtime Laker fans. They could be gelling at the right time, but still seem to need a dominant big to put them over the top and back in the Finals.

Things happen quickly in this league, and at the end of the day it's just sports entertainment. We can only root for our team, but the players are the ones who need to show the heart, love and determination it takes to become perennial playoff contenders.

On the flip side, we were really starting to gel before the injury bug hit. It is hard to recall the quick strides this team was making because of all the downer shit since then, but .... I guess there is no "but." It is what the fuck it is and that ain't good.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:36 pm

I just hope Magic and Kareem have a big game tonight and we can find a way to contain Bird and McHale. If that damn Larry goes off from 3 it could be a long night. Maybe Worthy can step up and come up big during crunch time :rthup:
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:02 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:I just hope Magic and Kareem have a big game tonight and we can find a way to contain Bird and McHale. If that damn Larry goes off from 3 it could be a long night. Maybe Worthy can step up and come up big during crunch time :rthup:

WEEE ARE NOTTT WORRRTHHYYY :bowdown:
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:02 pm

KCP Hart and Bullock go 7-24 for 17 points in like 80 combined minutes while Morris, Smart, Horford and Rozier get their buckets. Defense has never been our thing, but . . sheesh. Boston just had a team-bonding practice at our expense and to be honest I think they can get to the Finals.

Wagner and this Williams dude had nice showings. Bron with the trip-dub but of course he had to.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:05 am

Thanks for still Posting these Game Threads Kenny. I still enjoy them and it is good for the site. This season ranks way up there regarding one of the more disappointing seasons in Lakers history. This summer is critical, we have said that before but it is bigtime critical for the future of this team moving forward.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:58 am

At this point, all I care about is Brandon Ingram's health. What happened to him puts into perspective what is important and what isn't important. I didn't watch the game, but it was nice to see Moe Wagner have a solid game. Maybe he will make us forget the stupid Zubac trade. I also really love the Kenneth Faried-like hustle of Johnathan Williams. Players like him should be a part of our future.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:41 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:At this point, all I care about is Brandon Ingram's health. What happened to him puts into perspective what is important and what isn't important. I didn't watch the game, but it was nice to see Moe Wagner have a solid game. Maybe he will make us forget the stupid Zubac trade. I also really love the Kenneth Faried-like hustle of Johnathan Williams. Players like him should be a part of our future.

Yeah I hope Ingram can recover, that is some serious stuff he is dealing with. Clots can kill. I feel bad for him. It ended Bosh's career. Prayers are with Brandon.

Man I tell you, this season has just been a pile of bad luck and so disappointing! :hardpush:
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:44 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:Man I tell you, this season has just been a pile of bad luck and so disappointing! :hardpush:

It's been nothing but bad luck and disappointment ever since the passing of Dr. Buss. We have the NBA's worst record over the past 6 seasons. That is why the Buss family should SELL!
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:16 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:Man I tell you, this season has just been a pile of bad luck and so disappointing! :hardpush:

It's been nothing but bad luck and disappointment ever since the passing of Dr. Buss. We have the NBA's worst record over the past 6 seasons. That is why the Buss family should SELL!

Yeah it is bad, 6 years is a long time to be bad. A lot of people here in Indy were about to sell their season tickets to Colts games after the 2017 Season. That was after the Colts missed the playoffs 3 years in a row and went 4-12. It was on the news. Luck came back healthy in 2018 (Colts go 10-6 and go deep in the playoffs) and now you can't get a ticket :waaaaa: . We need something to turn this shit storm around that is for sure because 6 years is a major shit storm to be bad :fanshithit: . With the Cubs I was used to it, we always stunk but now they are the best thing going for me sports wise. Cubs are on a 4 year span where they have been great with a Championship. Life is strange at times :scream:.

I have been watching a lot of older stuff lately like the 1985, 87 and 88 playoff runs on Youtube. Earlier I just watched Game 7 at Kings in 2002 with Shaq and Kobe = the 3Peat season. We still have that if you are down, history is history. :pissedkobe:
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk