Game 57: 02/12/19 Lakers at Hawks GAME THREAD

Game 57: 02/12/19 Lakers at Hawks GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:43 am

(28-28) LAKERS AT Hawks (18-38)

Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 4:30 PM PDT
State Farm Arena • Atlanta, GA

Referees: Brian Forte (#45), Gediminas Petraitis (#50), Natalie Sago (#76)

Replay Center: Bennie Adams, CJ Washington

Line: Lakers -5.5

Local TV: Spectrum SportsNet

GAME PREVIEW: LAKERS AT HAWKS

by NBA.com

The Los Angeles Lakers will make their only appearance in Atlanta on Tuesday night, and Hawks coach Lloyd Pierce knows it won't be a typical mid-week game.

State Farm Arena will be sold out, loud and loaded with gold-clad fans who want to see the visiting team and its star player, LeBron James.

Pierce is eager to see how his young Atlanta team will react to all the hubbub, as it tries to stop a three-game losing streak and end its inability to win at home. The Hawks have dropped five straight on their home court.

"When you're in a little rut like we are ... spirit, energy, effort ... the best thing is to have a team like the Lakers come in," Pierce said. "Huge fan base. We know there will be a lot of Lakers fans in here, a lot of people showing up. As an athlete, you want to perform when the lights are on and there are a lot of people."

Atlanta is in the midst of a seven-game homestand. The Hawks have dropped their first three games, to Toronto, Charlotte and Orlando. They did not play well in Sunday's 124-108 loss to the Magic, a game in which Pierce took out all his starters as a unit in the middle of the third quarter in an attempt to send a message.

The Lakers are playing the finale of a six-game road trip. They have lost seven of their last 10 and were embarrassed 143-120 by the Philadelphia 76ers on Sunday.

"We had too many breakdowns," James said. "Way too many breakdowns."

As usual, most eyes will be on James, who has appeared in 38 games, missing 17 with a strained groin and one because of load management. He is averaging 26.7 points, 8.6 rebounds and 7.4 assists.

Power forward Kyle Kuzma has been playing at a high level. He scored 39 points and knocked down five 3-pointers against Philadelphia. The second-year player scored 25 in the previous game, a win at Boston.

Atlanta is led by forward John Collins, who averages 19.3 points and 9.8 rebounds, and rookie Trae Young, who averages 16.8 points and 7.4 assists. Both were selected to play in the Rising Stars Game during the NBA All-Star Weekend.

"It will be good to see how we respond in that type of atmosphere against a team that's been on the road for a while and is struggling," Pierce said. "The atmosphere is great, but it really comes down to us bringing the right approach."

The Lakers beat the Hawks 107-106 in Los Angeles in November on a dunk by James with 18 seconds remaining. Young's last-second shot was blocked by Tyson Chandler to secure the win. The Hawks played without Collins. The Lakers swept the series a year ago.

The Lakers are playing without Lonzo Ball, who has missed nine games with a left ankle sprain. Josh Hart (right knee) is out after receiving a PRP injection. The Hawks are fairly healthy, with Collins playing with a sore right knee.

http://www.nba.com/games/20190212/LALATL#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 57: 02/12/19 Lakers at Hawks GAME THREAD

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:05 pm

Ingram and Kuz really gotta have great games tonight, as do out big men. Should be a win, but at this point poor execution on both ends makes this game a toss-up. Go Lakers.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:14 pm

If we lose to the Hawks that will be bad!
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:06 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:If we lose to the Hawks that will be bad!

If we lose to the Hawks, that will be IT. In other words, forget about the playoffs and start studying up on potential draftees around #13.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:57 pm

This is ridiculous, LeBron is not a top 5 player of all-time and the ESPN idiot heads will never convince me of that, nor will anybody. Losing to the Hawks is downright embarrassing. LeBron can go suck an egg. Kobe is even better . I guess I need to start to search for my fucking Steve Bartman Avatar. The Lakers have been very disappointing this season.

-3 best players of all-time and players I will always trust are Jordan, Magic, and Kareem. I have said that on my 3Peat archives for years. I knew we should've signed Paul George and kept Randle. Larry Bird would not lose to this fucking scrub Hawks team! Hell the Pacers are better than we are and they do not even have their best player. :icantlook:
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:32 pm

I'm nauseous.
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:04 pm

I just dont think it was Magic and LeBron's intention to burn him out in his first season with us. Coast, win when you're at full-strength and the other team is playing poorly, sure make the playoffs if everyone stays healthy and we don't do any major squad shifts in February . . I just can't believe that literally hundreds of seasons worth of all this championship experience - Jeannie, Magic, LeBron, Luke, Brian etc. - can unintentionally look this bad. There has to be an agenda, similar to the late 70s after we got Kareem and knew we needed to rebuild around him. Stay thirsty and stalwart, my TrueFans -- next season we're going to put #17 in effect and the goal is not only to hang another banner, get LeBron a title with a third NBA team (unprecedented as a star/starting player, no Robert Horry jokes thank you), smack the PaperClips back down, pose a real divisional threat to the San Francisco Warriors AND tie the Celtics for most franchise titles, it's the comeuppance from 15+ years of pure disrespect from the league that hasn't exactly been helped by the exploits of Shaq the flatulent, Kobe the adulterous, Magic the questionably positive, Logo the evasive, Fish the crazy, Lamar the addicted and Luke the Weak.

I LOVE THE LAKERS. And that will never change. Remember -- no other team or diehard fanbase can hold a candle to what ours has brought to the assoc. Just think, if there was no Laker to talk about . . the assoc. would be boring as fuck. Celtics? Really?
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:10 am

lakerevolution wrote:I just dont think it was Magic and LeBron's intention to burn him out in his first season with us. Coast, win when you're at full-strength and the other team is playing poorly, sure make the playoffs if everyone stays healthy and we don't do any major squad shifts in February . . I just can't believe that literally hundreds of seasons worth of all this championship experience - Jeannie, Magic, LeBron, Luke, Brian etc. - can unintentionally look this bad. There has to be an agenda, similar to the late 70s after we got Kareem and knew we needed to rebuild around him. Stay thirsty and stalwart, my TrueFans -- next season we're going to put #17 in effect and the goal is not only to hang another banner, get LeBron a title with a third NBA team (unprecedented as a star/starting player, no Robert Horry jokes thank you), smack the PaperClips back down, pose a real divisional threat to the San Francisco Warriors AND tie the Celtics for most franchise titles, it's the comeuppance from 15+ years of pure disrespect from the league that hasn't exactly been helped by the exploits of Shaq the flatulent, Kobe the adulterous, Magic the questionably positive, Logo the evasive, Fish the crazy, Lamar the addicted and Luke the Weak.

I LOVE THE LAKERS. And that will never change. Remember -- no other team or diehard fanbase can hold a candle to what ours has brought to the assoc. Just think, if there was no Laker to talk about . . the assoc. would be boring as fuck. Celtics? Really?

Great points, Rev. The pressure of the lore has caused management to panic, from the Jim-Mitch regime to the current regime. There's no question that we needed a change at the top, but putting more non-objective P&G folks in the front office after Jim-Mitch were shown the door may not have been the smartest thing in hindsight. With a little more patience, we could have ridden out a developing young roster with Randle, Russell, Nance, Clarkson, Zubac, Thomas Bryant, Ingram, Lonzo and Kuzma (who we could have had at #28 last season) and suffered with the Deng and Mozgov contracts until they ran their course and we would be in better shape right now, even without LeBron James, in my opinion. In all candor, I think that the Buss family should sell the team to a visionary billionaire, just like the Dubs did. We need a fresh start and doing it the way we're doing it now seems awfully risky.

HAVING SAID THAT, I am soooooo sick of the injuries! We were on such a nice roll until the plague hit and if we had just stayed healthy, perhaps I would not have wasted my time at the keyboard typing this rant.

Go Lakers!
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:04 pm

It is definitely ok to rant because there is just no excuse for missing the playoffs unless something like LeBron being out for the season happens. I did not expect a championship this season nor did I think we would make the finals. My expectations were winning 50 games and 1 playoff series which were reasonable with LeBron on the team to go with Ingram who is in year 3, and Kuzma who was coming off of a solid rookie season.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:09 pm

lakerevolution wrote:I just dont think it was Magic and LeBron's intention to burn him out in his first season with us. Coast, win when you're at full-strength and the other team is playing poorly, sure make the playoffs if everyone stays healthy and we don't do any major squad shifts in February . . I just can't believe that literally hundreds of seasons worth of all this championship experience - Jeannie, Magic, LeBron, Luke, Brian etc. - can unintentionally look this bad. There has to be an agenda, similar to the late 70s after we got Kareem and knew we needed to rebuild around him. Stay thirsty and stalwart, my TrueFans -- next season we're going to put #17 in effect and the goal is not only to hang another banner, get LeBron a title with a third NBA team (unprecedented as a star/starting player, no Robert Horry jokes thank you), smack the PaperClips back down, pose a real divisional threat to the San Francisco Warriors AND tie the Celtics for most franchise titles, it's the comeuppance from 15+ years of pure disrespect from the league that hasn't exactly been helped by the exploits of Shaq the flatulent, Kobe the adulterous, Magic the questionably positive, Logo the evasive, Fish the crazy, Lamar the addicted and Luke the Weak.

I will always love the Lakers as well, just to make this clear but since our last championship in 2010 we have played like horseshit :roflmao:. 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and now 2019 so far. This will be the 9th season in a row that we will not even make a Conference Final. I am not even talking winning a Championship or making a Finals. Just make a Conference Finals. We have 10 Championships since 1980 but also none since 2010.

-Yeah on the other side of the coin of course the Lakers have had a better franchise than the Colts and Cubs being my other 2 favorite teams. The the Cubs at least have won a WS recently = 2016 though and have a young great nucleus. The Colts also have a young great nucleus and are coming off of a very successful season and did win a SB in February 2007. They also recently made a Conference Title Game = 2014 Season. The Lakers to me have no direction right now and are relying on a 34 year old Star to carry them. I do not trust our young nucleus either. I like Kuzma but outside of him nothing blows my mind. With the Cubs they have young guys like Bryant, Baez, Rizzo that are great. Colts have Andrew Luck who is still only 29, have young guys like Hilton, Nelson, Leonard, and have a GM now that knows what he is doing.

-IMO we need to do something big this summer or nothing will change in 2020 either. LeBron is still a great player (top 10 ever) but he is 34 and needs at least 1 other SuperStar to play with or nothing will change. I still see no overwhelming evidence that LeBron is a better all-time player than Jordan, Magic, or Kareem. To me it's a debate whether or not LeBron was even better than Kobe or Shaq. Shaq was definitely more dominant when he was in his prime. Prime Larry Bird was just as great too.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:22 pm

The first thing the Lakers need is a change of ownership or they will continue to suffer this stained reputation in the league, that has not only permeated other front offices, agents and players, but even journalists with bully pulpits like Adrian Wojnarowski.

Check out this tweet:

Why put "including the Lakers" in there without mentioning any other team from the "crowded field." There has been a pattern of this from Woj, so someone fromt he Lakers' front office must have pissed him off. Let's say that Kanter was the first choice and Markieff Morris was next. Now Morris will whine that they didn't want him first and go elsewhere. The Buss family must sell the team. Period.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:50 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:The first thing the Lakers need is a change of ownership or they will continue to suffer this stained reputation in the league, that has not only permeated other front offices, agents and players, but even journalists with bully pulpits like Adrian Wojnarowski.

Check out this tweet:

Why put "including the Lakers" in there without mentioning any other team from the "crowded field." There has been a pattern of this from Woj, so someone fromt he Lakers' front office must have pissed him off. Let's say that Kanter was the first choice and Markieff Morris was next. Now Morris will whine that they didn't want him first and go elsewhere. The Buss family must sell the team. Period.

It could actually be argued that the other teams GM's and Coaches are against us. Ever since the CP3 debacle which we got screwed on, it has been 1 thing after another. Popovich just now advised the Pelicans to not trade AD to us when the deal was on the table because he didn't want the Pelicans to help us out. I feel like it is us against the world and the media does not help matters.

Someone could ask me why do I feel like I do? My answer is: It is jealousy and hatred. We have won so many Championships since 1980 that other teams IMO are now ganging up against us and do not want to trade us any SuperStars. I could use the CP3 situation as huge evidence and I can use what Popovich just did and the Pelicans not making that trade. We offered them Kuzma, Ingram, Ball, Hart, Zubac and 2 future 1st round picks and they still would not do it. You take our name (the Lakers) off that trade and put the Celtics name on it, Pelicans do that deal all day.
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk