Game 7: 10/29/18 Lakers at Timberwolves GAME THREAD

Game 7: 10/29/18 Lakers at Timberwolves GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:36 am

(2-4) LAKERS at TIMBERWOLVES (2-4)

Monday, October 29, 2018, 5:00 PM PDT
Target Center • Minneapolis, MN

Referees: Tom Washington (#49), Mark Lindsay (#29), Aaron Smith (#51)

Replay Center: Marc Davis, Lauren Holtkamp, Leroy Richardson, Josh Tiven

Line: Wolves -1

National TV: NBA TV Local TV: Spectrum SportsNet

GAME PREVIEW: LAKERS AT TIMBERWOLVES

BY NBA.COM

It does not matter what team LeBron James is on, games against the Minnesota Timberwolves often go well for the superstar.

Of course these days, the Timberwolves hold other concerns along with stopping James.

On Monday, the Timberwolves will make another attempt at containing James when they host the Los Angeles Lakers.

James is 23-6 in 29 games against Minnesota and is averaging 26.5 points with 11 30-point games.

He lost four of the first five meetings with the Timberwolves from Nov. 21, 2003 to Nov. 26, 2005. Since then he is 22-2 in the last 24 meetings and James has lost once in Minnesota in that span.

The Wolves beat James and the Cleveland Cavaliers 127-99 at home on Jan. 8 when the superstar was held to 10 points but nearly a month later, James scored 37 points and hit the buzzer-beater over Jimmy Butler to hand Minnesota a 140-139 win, doing so after blocking Butler's shot.

Nearly nine months later, James is in the Western Conference and Butler is hoping to get traded. Butler asked for a trade in September and last week the Houston Rockets reportedly offered four first-round picks for him.

Butler played through an illness and finished with four points on 2 of 11 shooting as Minnesota was handed a 125-95 home loss to the Milwaukee Bucks on Friday. In their worst loss under coach Tom Thibodeau, Minnesota missed its first 11 shots, shot 32.1 percent and did not score for the first 4:41.

A day later, Thibodeau seemed to acknowledge the trade rumors may becoming a distraction as did forward Taj Gibson.

"You know distractions happen all the time in every industry," Thibodeau said to reporters. "So when you lose focus you're not going to perform up to your potential. We have to guard against that. I think human nature says you have to guard against it if you study how this league works."

"It was a lot of different things going on, lot of different body parts moving around," Gibson added. "It was a funky day."

The Wolves played without Andrew Wiggins the second straight and he is questionable with a bruised right quadriceps, meaning rookie Josh Okogie would likely start in his place.

They are still waiting for Karl-Anthony Towns to get rolling as their forward is shooting 42.9 percent after getting 16 points Friday.

Meanwhile, the Lakers are 2-4 after struggling to stop DeMar DeRozan in a 110-106 loss at San Antonio on Saturday. James scored a season-high 35 points but the Lakers shot 40.5 percent in the second half and scored 18 points in the fourth quarter.

"We got away from who we were halfway through the third," Lakers coach Luke Walton said. "We stopped pushing the ball. We got stagnant. They made some great plays. We missed some shots. But we just got away from what we've done really well so far this season."

Walton is correct. With 2:32 left, Los Angeles held an 88-77 lead but the rest of the way, it was outscored 33-18 by going 6-for-24 from the floor.

The Lakers played without Brandon Ingram, who completed his four-game suspension for his role in the fight with Chris Paul on Oct. 20.

Ingram could return to the starting lineup after Kyle Kuzma averaged 22.7 points in his absence.

However, Lonzo Ball did not return to the bench after Rajon Rondo returned from his three-game suspension. Ball averaged 12.6 while starting for Rondo but was held to six points.

Overall, the Lakers are still trying to figure out the right mix. Their opening night lineup of James, Rondo, Ingram, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and JaVale McGee has appeared together for just 26 minutes so far.

"I think it's growing," James said. "This is a process for us, we're going to continue to grow. We're going to continue to get better and use these experiences for the better."

Minnesota swept the season series last season, winning the four games by an average of 14.5 points. The Wolves also are 7-3 in their last 10 games against the Lakers.

https://www.nba.com/games/20181029/LALMIN#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 7: 10/29/18 Lakers AT Timberwolves GAME THREAD

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:58 am

I predict a win! I'll say 114-111 Lakers for shits and giggles.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Re: Game 7: 10/29/18 Lakers at Timberwolves GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:53 pm

Also, from everything I have been reading, the starting lineup will be Lonzo, Ingram, Kuz, LeBron and McGee.

Very interesting. Fuckload of length on defense, but without Beasley tonight are there any bigs besides Johnathan Williams and Ivica Zubac coming off the bench? Somehow Luke will have to rotate KCP, Hart, Rondo and Lance and make it work. I bet Magic-Rob make a deal at the trade deadline.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:25 pm

Hey fellas - checking in late due to a work-related meeting. I see we're off to a slow start but we should win this game going away. Crisp execution and solid defense! The youth movement plus Mr. 28/8/8 leaves no excuses.
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:41 pm

Kuz and Ingram doing all the scoring! I'm giving these guys nicknames now:

Kuz = Pineapples!
Ingram = Wiz
Lonzo = Pennywise
Hart = Tubbs (Miami Vice)
Lance = Tyson
Rondo = Hannibal
JaVale = Swiss Cheese
LeBron = Tony Starks

I'll get to the others as their contributions grow :slamdunk:
lakerevolution

Postby Nycitylaker » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:38 pm

We may lose tonight and that would be the worst loss of the short season. They look disinterested!
Nycitylaker

Postby lakerevolution » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:21 pm

No defense on Butler . . c'mon guys!
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:27 pm

The Butler did it. I'm beginning to question Luke's defensive strategy. We can't let their star players have great nights, somebody's gotta get shut down. Aaarrgh. Games like this are going to keep us out of that 8th seed.
lakerevolution

Postby Nycitylaker » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:29 pm

Fuck. Bad effort.
Nycitylaker

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:31 pm

Our Defense is a major problem right now. We can't stop anyone.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:55 am

lakerevolution wrote:The Butler did it. I'm beginning to question Luke's defensive strategy. We can't let their star players have great nights, somebody's gotta get shut down. Aaarrgh. Games like this are going to keep us out of that 8th seed.

This looks like out of control playground basketball. I was concerned that LeBron would start to look more human with all this mileage on him and voila! The league is on to Kuzma's moves. I dunno fellers, I dunno. I know it's early, but who is ging to be LeBron's killer? We all know that he has always needed one to truly succeed. Who's gonna be the D-Wade? The Kyrie? As Jeanie Buss once said when asked who's gonna be the Lakers next superstar" "I don't know, but he's out there." Stay tuned.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:52 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
lakerevolution wrote:The Butler did it. I'm beginning to question Luke's defensive strategy. We can't let their star players have great nights, somebody's gotta get shut down. Aaarrgh. Games like this are going to keep us out of that 8th seed.

This looks like out of control playground basketball. I was concerned that LeBron would start to look more human with all this mileage on him and voila! The league is on to Kuzma's moves. I dunno fellers, I dunno. I know it's early, but who is ging to be LeBron's killer? We all know that he has always needed one to truly succeed. Who's gonna be the D-Wade? The Kyrie? As Jeanie Buss once said when asked who's gonna be the Lakers next superstar" "I don't know, but he's out there." Stay tuned.

-Leonard is a Free Agent after this season and is a silent assassin. He is actually a solid closer. Maybe we should go after him in the offseason. LeBron would have his closer! I am not giving up on the season as we are only 7 games in but if you remember I was stressing how badly I wanted us to re-sign Randle and sign Paul George instead of chasing LeBron. PG isn't an all-time great YET but he is 6 years younger than LeBron and a better Defensive player, he is also a lifetime 20 point scorer so in today's league he is a Superstar. Randle gave us a toughness inside on Defense at Center and would've been an automatic 15/10 every night. PG wanted to come to LA but clearly didn't want to play with LeBron and the Lakers were all in on LeBron and PG knew that. For some reason Randle wasn't a part of our plans so he went elsewhere.

-Just 7 games in folks, lets see where we are at after 30 games. LeBron is still a Great player and we all know he is a Top 10 player of all-time so the winning will start soon IMO. I want to see more out of Ball and Ingram.
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk