Game 57: 02/15/18 Lakers at Timberwolves GAME THREAD

Game 57: 02/15/18 Lakers at Timberwolves GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:31 am

(23-33)Image at Image(35-25)

Thursday, February 15, 2018, 6:00 PM PDT
Target Center • Minneapolis, MN

Referees: James Capers (#19), Kevin Scott (#28), Justin Van Duyne (#64)

Replay Center: Ed Malloy

Line: Wolves -10

National TV: TNT Local TV: Spectrum SportsNet

GAME PREVIEW: LAKERS AT TIMBERWOLVES

by NBA.com

MINNEAPOLIS -- With one game left before the All-Star break, the Los Angeles Lakers and Minnesota Timberwolves are hoping to rediscover some of what worked during the league's unofficial first half.

Los Angeles heads to Minnesota on Thursday after a 139-117 loss in New Orleans in which coach Luke Walton and new point guard Isaiah Thomas were ejected, and the Lakers gave up a season-high point total for an opponent in a regulation game.

It was Los Angeles' second straight loss after eight wins in the previous 10 games.

"We've got to get our mojo back," Walton told the team's website after Wednesday's loss. "We've somehow lost it quickly. The last two games offensively we've been fine. We're just not playing any defense.

"We've got breakdowns (with) our 3-point defense, our switching, simple pin-downs. Simple part of the game defensively we've stopped doing."

The Timberwolves (35-25) had their 13-game home winning streak snapped Tuesday as the Houston Rockets hit 22 3-pointers in a 126-108 victory. Houston outscored Minnesota 42-28 in the fourth quarter.

"I'm disappointed in our team from the standpoint of, when you're playing a team like that, you have to come in with an edge," Wolves coach Tom Thibodeau said. "And part of it was we didn't make shots. We didn't shoot the three well, particularly in the first half. I thought we had a lot of good plays and we can't allow that to sap our energy. That was probably the most disappointing thing.

"If we hit a lull offensively, that's when we're going to get into trouble if we don't play defense. That's probably the biggest thing. For every player, you're not going to shoot great every night and when you don't shoot great, you've got to do other things. Play great defense, get some rebounds, make some hustle plays, get into the open floor. I think sometimes you get a couple of easy baskets like that and it can get you going. We didn't play our best for sure and I thought they played really well."

Minnesota is tied for second in the league in home wins at 23-6 but has lost three of four games overall. The Wolves survived for a victory against Sacramento in a lackluster performance on Sunday but couldn't hold down the scorching Rockets.

The 126 points allowed tied the second-most the Wolves have given up in a regulation game this season.

"We made mistakes, but they're hitting some shots and we could have done a lot of things to help us win this game, myself included, and we didn't," Minnesota center Karl-Anthony Towns said. "That's just how it goes. We've got to rally back and be ready for L.A."

With a victory, the Wolves can get back into a tie for third place in the Western Conference behind Golden State and Houston.

The Lakers have been down in the standings all season but had shown improvement in its recent stretch.

After nine straight losses at the end of December and start of January -- including twice to Minnesota in that stretch -- Los Angeles had put together three separate four-game winning streaks interrupted each time by a pair of back-to-back losses.

The span included promising play from young players such as Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma and Julius Randle.

Ingram is averaging 20 points and 5.7 assists over his last six games.

"He's shooting the ball with extreme confidence right now," Walton told the team's website. "He's not taking bad 3s. They're normally inside-out type of shots or swing-swing shots."

Ingram was 9-of-17 shooting for 21 points against New Orleans and had five assists. Kuzma scored a team-high 23 points off the bench and Randle added 20.

It was a heated game. Thomas and Pelicans guard Rajon Rondo were ejected after a verbal confrontation.

"He also hit me in my face three times," Thomas told the team's website. "At some point, like as a human, if nobody's gonna protect me I've got to protect myself. And that's when I spoke up and got upset."

Walton was later ejected for arguing a foul call on Kuzma.

Wednesday was Thomas' second game with the Lakers after being acquired in the trade that sent Jordan Clarkson and Larry Nance to Cleveland. Thomas had a big debut with 22 points and six assists in 30-plus minutes against Dallas and is coming off the bench early in his tenure with Los Angeles.

http://www.nba.com/games/20180215/LALMIN#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 57: 02/15/18 Lakers at Timberwolves GAME THREAD

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:56 pm

Not to be negative but I highly doubt we win this game. The Timberwolves are a Top 5 team in the West without question. We need the All-Star break to get more chemistry and for Lonzo to get healthy.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby Lakers4Life » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:52 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:Not to be negative but I highly doubt we win this game. The Timberwolves are a Top 5 team in the West without question. We need the All-Star break to get more chemistry and for Lonzo to get healthy.

Not to sound positive but I think we will be pissed from last nights debacle at Norleans and win this game tonight!!

GO LAKERS!!!
Lakers4Life

Postby Lakers4Life » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:00 pm

At the half

LAKERS 65
Tender wolves 62
Lakers4Life

Postby Lakers4Life » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:43 pm

After 3 quarters

LAKERS 91

Tenderwolves 84
Lakers4Life

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:21 pm

Lakers4Life wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:Not to be negative but I highly doubt we win this game. The Timberwolves are a Top 5 team in the West without question. We need the All-Star break to get more chemistry and for Lonzo to get healthy.

Not to sound positive but I think we will be pissed from last nights debacle at Norleans and win this game tonight!!

GO LAKERS!!!

We have no Defensive Chemistry unfortunately since the trade is why I figured this would be tough. Oh well. I cant wait for this summer to watch Magic and Rob go to work. I think next season will be the season we finally get back into the Playoffs if we nail it this summer.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby Lakers4Life » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:33 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:
Lakers4Life wrote:

GO LAKERS!!!

We have no Defensive Chemistry unfortunately since the trade is why I figured this would be tough. Oh well. I cant wait for this summer to watch Magic and Rob go to work. I think next season will be the season we finally get back into the Playoffs if we nail it this summer.

We were winning the whole game until the last few minutes and everything went in Minnesota’s favor.
Lakers4Life

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:20 am

I had to go to my nephew's 30th birthday dinner last night. Came home and watched. IT is nowhere near himself yet. We fought and lost to a better team who is great at home. The rest will do us well and we're going to sizzle down the stretch!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby Moos » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:46 pm

March schedule is not in our side to think about winning many games.
Mine as well play one game at a time for now, finish those remaining
games smart hoping no one gets hurt and prepare for next season.
I'm not sure what you mean by "your last sentence, KobeMVP888.
Moos

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:50 pm

Moos wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "your last sentence, KobeMVP888.

I believe the Lakers are going to finish the season playing some good basketball and win a bunch of games in the process.
KobeMVP888

Return to LakerTalk