Game 48: 01/26/18 Lakers at Bulls GAME THREAD

Game 48: 01/26/18 Lakers at Bulls GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:00 am

(18-29)Image at Image(18-30)

Friday, January 26, 2018, 5:00 PM PDT
United Center • Chicago, IL

Referees: Bill Spooner (#22), Brett Nansel (#44), Michael Smith (#38)

Replay Center: Curtis Blair, Sean Corbin, Marat Kogut

Line: Bulls -4

TV: Spectrum SportsNet

GAME PREVIEW: LAKERS AT BULLS

by NBA.com

CHICAGO -- After a rough start, the Los Angeles Lakers have seemed to settle into a rhythm of late, winning seven of the past nine games.

Despite the Lakers' stretch of success, however, that includes three straight victories, coach Luke Walton has attempted to drive home the importance of a fundamental facet that has eluded the team recently.

Free throw shooting.

Heading into Friday night's game against the Chicago Bulls, Los Angeles (18-29) has struggled to convert from the line, including in its 108-107 win over the Boston Celtics when Kentavious Caldwell-Pope missed two free throws in the closing seconds that could have wrapped up the victory.

But as has been the trend with the Lakers, the ability to find a way to get a stop at the other end of the floor came to the rescue.

"The message right now is defense," Walton told reporters Tuesday, according to the Los Angeles Times, after his team missed 15 free throws in the win. "Everything is defense. Because we're shooting this (percentage) from the free throw line, because we're not doing this -- whatever it is -- we're still able to win games because of our defense."

The Lakers' 21-of-36 showing from the line against the Celtics followed a woeful 2-of-14 effort in a 13-point victory over the Indiana Pacers last week. On Tuesday against the Celtics, the Lakers missed four free throws in the final 20 seconds, which nearly cost them a victory.

Moving forward starting Friday in Chicago and playing without rookie Lonzo Ball (knee sprain), Walton insists things have to change.

"I know we haven't made (free throws, but) we have guys that I trust at the line that need to step up and knock those down," Walton said, according to the Times. "Obviously, we love the win, our guys did a heck of a job of scrapping and fighting ... (but) our execution down the stretch is not OK."

The Bulls (18-30) know a bit about failing to finish as well. After blowing a 17-point lead in the final minutes of a double-overtime loss to New Orleans on Monday, Chicago was listless in a 115-101 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers in a game the Bulls trailed by as many as 25 points.

Chicago is expected again to be without starting point guard Kris Dunn, who continues to deal with a concussion. Jerian Grant will start in Dunn's place as the Bulls hope to shake off a loss and show some energy that coach Fred Hoiberg said was lacking in the Bulls' last outing.

"We didn't come out with any grit or toughness," Hoiberg said, according to the Chicago Tribune. "And then it just kind of became a 'my-turn' shot. A guy took a bad one and we said, 'If he's going to take a bad one, then I'm going to take a bad one.' And it just kind of trickled down. It's disappointing."

The Bulls finished the loss shooting just 38.3 percent from the field. Now they'll face a Lakers team that has built its recent winning ways around defense, which could mean trouble if the Bulls can't muster more of an effort than they did Wednesday against the 76ers.

"We have to bring energy," Bulls guard Zach LaVine told reporters. "We really aren't at that point where we can turn it on at any time. We haven't even jelled that much together as a team yet.

"Regardless, we have to go out there and play for one another and compete. That's the main thing. We just didn't bring it (Wednesday night) and we can't have nights like those anymore."

http://www.nba.com/games/20180126/LALCHI#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 48: 01/26/18 Lakers at Bulls GAME THREAD

Postby Moos » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:26 am

A "W"!
Moos

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:52 am

I smell 4 in a row! I think we get this one. I wonder when Lonzo will be back?
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:51 pm

Moos wrote:A "W"!

My thought exactly! Let us gather and say a prayer for better than 65% from the mutha-friggin line, homies :palmface:
lakerevolution

Postby Lakers4Life » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:09 pm

Lakers4Life

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:31 pm

They're growing up. All I can think about is that I don't want to see any trades at the deadline. I want this team to continue to mature. I want very little to change going into next year. If they can sign a star, great. If not, then keep this group together as best we can. Just keep building with as little disruption as possible. We won ugly. We wanted it and knew we could take it. We did and we can keep it going!

There were a few things that I didn't understand from a coaching standpoint such as why Ennis played so much, why Brook played so little, why Nance stayed on the floor when he was sucking so horribly, etc., but Luke got us the win and guys got some rest for Sunday, so I have no complaints. Nice W!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:15 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:They're growing up. All I can think about is that I don't want to see any trades at the deadline. I want this team to continue to mature. I want very little to change going into next year. If they can sign a star, great. If not, then keep this group together as best we can. Just keep building with as little disruption as possible. We won ugly. We wanted it and knew we could take it. We did and we can keep it going!

There were a few things that I didn't understand from a coaching standpoint such as why Ennis played so much, why Brook played so little, why Nance stayed on the floor when he was sucking so horribly, etc., but Luke got us the win and guys got some rest for Sunday, so I have no complaints. Nice W!

I couldn't even watch the game, had to go to bed real early because I had to get up at 4am to come in here into work. I hate it when we play on Friday nights and we always do :roflmao:. They have been having me cover early Saturday mornings into the afternoon's for a while now. Saturday's are easy so I am biting the bullet for now.

-Now to the Lakers, that is 4 in a row. I called this one - see above! I would really like to see us just sign Paul George over the summer and roll with what we have. George would bring us an All-Star and more leadership + he is a Great Defensive player and a streaky Good Scorer as we know. He also has games where he catches fire from 3 which we need badly. He has been in huge games in the past like ECFinals games vs LeBron as well. Cousins just blew out his Achilles tonight which isn't good at all, George is 100% healthy as of now.

-Imagine next season if we could roll with:
PG Lonzo - a year under his belt
SG Ingram playing the 2 with his Height
SF George
PF Kuzma
C Randle if we go small ball (Lopez and his contract is probably gone)
*Clarkson off the bench as the 6th man, he is starting to remind me of Lou Williams a bit where he comes off the bench and just explodes for points. On any given night, Clarky can give you 20. We still another 3 point shooter though. Maybe we can convince Reddick to come to the Lakers over the summer on a 1 year deal?
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk