Game 40: 01/09/18 Queens at Lakers at GAME THREAD

Re: Game 40: 01/09/18 Queens at Lakers at GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:27 am

lakerevolution wrote:
We're still not winning more than 33 games this season.

It's halftime in the season, Rev and we're on pace for another 26 win season. 33 wins means we go 20-21 the rest of the way in. Do you see that as a possibility?
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:03 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
lakerevolution wrote:

It's halftime in the season, Rev and we're on pace for another 26 win season. 33 wins means we go 20-21 the rest of the way in. Do you see that as a possibility?

This season is flying by! Yes after tomorrow's game vs the Spurs our season is half over already. We are currently 13-27 and would need 17 wins to reach 30. That could be doable IMO, 33 is a stretch. Regarding my disappointments and surprises halfway through the season based on wins and losses, I would have to say so far we have been a disappointment. I expected us to be around .500 at the midway point. Maybe it was just wishful thinking but I thought this would be the year finally that we started to win a little more.

Some of my Disappointments:
-Lakers at 13-27, I thought we would have maybe 18/19 or so wins at the halfway point.

-OKC at 22-19, definitely a disappointment. I thought they would have at least 25/26 wins by now.

-Cavs at 26-14, for them it is a disappointment. I had them around 30 wins at the halfway point. They have been blown out in several games as well.

Some of my Surprises:
-Celtics at 33-10, I figured they would be good but not this good.

-Pacers at 21-19, overachieving bigtime and if the season ended today they would be in the Playoffs as an 8 Seed. Dipo will make the All-Star team this season. I had them winning maybe 33/34 games this season after losing PG-13. They won 42 last season and are on pace as of now to do it again without PG-13.

-Timberwolves at 26-16, I thought they would finally be Good, maybe win 42/43 games (they only won 31 last season) and possibly make the Playoffs but as of now they are a 4 Seed in the West at the halfway point and on pace to win more than 50 games.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:12 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:Yes after tomorrow's game vs the Spurs our season is half over already.

-OKC at 22-19, definitely a disappointment. I thought they would have at least 25/26 wins by now.

1) Oops. I miscalculated by a game. Kawhi is out again, so maybe we can steal one.

2) Don't you want OKC to lose? The more they lose, the better our shot at PG coming here, no?
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:14 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:Yes after tomorrow's game vs the Spurs our season is half over already.

1) Oops. I miscalculated by a game. Kawhi is out again, so maybe we can steal one.

2) Don't you want OKC to lose? The more they lose, the better our shot at PG coming here, no?

Yes I want them to lose because of that reason. I just listed them as a disappointment because I am shocked they are only 22-19. I thought they would be much better.
3Peatkb24

Postby Lakers4Life » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:59 pm

“....some of my Disappointments:
-Lakers at 13-27, I thought we would have maybe 18/19 or so wins at the halfway point.”

-3-Peat

I’m surprised by our Wins/Losses also but I also watched every game this year and we lost 10+ winnable games due to being too inexperienced in closing games out (& lack of a go to closer). So we could easily have 18-19 games by the halfway point of the season. And that would had been acceptable. To me that tells me that they have the “bones” to hang with almost anybody. They just need a superstar player and/or growth to be able to finish teams off.
Lakers4Life

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:12 pm

Lakers4Life wrote:“....some of my Disappointments:
-Lakers at 13-27, I thought we would have maybe 18/19 or so wins at the halfway point.”

-3-Peat

I’m surprised by our Wins/Losses also but I also watched every game this year and we lost 10+ winnable games due to being too inexperienced in closing games out (& lack of a go to closer). So we could easily have 18-19 games by the halfway point of the season. And that would had been acceptable. To me that tells me that they have the “bones” to hang with almost anybody. They just need a superstar player and/or growth to be able to finish teams off.

Think about where the Wolves were leading up to the acquisition of Jimmy Butler and where they are now. I think that is how you have to look at these Lakers.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:40 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:

-3-Peat

Think about where the Wolves were leading up to the acquisition of Jimmy Butler and where they are now. I think that is how you have to look at these Lakers.

I do somewhat look at it like that. The Wolves last year were where we are now. They added Butler, so if we add PG that would be similar and I think PG is actually a hair better than Butler. Having said that Minnesota has a Very Good Center in Towns, we don't so that will still be an issue if we don't address it.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:42 pm

-3-Peat

Yes very true Craig. We are still young and need to learn to finish. We have been in many games where we could've won.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:19 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:I do somewhat look at it like that. The Wolves last year were where we are now. They added Butler, so if we add PG that would be similar and I think PG is actually a hair better than Butler. Having said that Minnesota has a Very Good Center in Towns, we don't so that will still be an issue if we don't address it.

I agree that Wiggins (21), Lavine (21), Towns (21), Rubio (26), Shabazz (24), Dieng (27) and Dunn (22) were a better young core than Randle (23), Clarkson (25), Nance (25), Ingram (20), Ball (20), Kuzma (22), Hart (22) and T Bryant (20), but let's discuss that for a moment.

First, I would say that we are a full season behind their core because Kuzma and Lonzo are rookies and Ingram is a very young second year player. I don't think that anyone would argue that all three of our main young core players don't have all-star potential, and the same goes for Randle, who even if he isn't with us, could potentially used as a trade chip to land a star player much like the Wolves were able to land Butler with Zach Lavine and Kris Dunn. As for their main young core players, Wiggins was in Randle's draft class and was in his third season last year and Towns was a second year player like Ingram is this season. I would argue that we have more young assets and that Lonzo is on the same level as Towns in terms of potential to be Great and that Ingram has potential to be better than Wiggins. Who among their young core was their Kuzma? Lavine? Rubio has leveled out and was traded for Jeff Teague (essentially; Teague signed as a FA and Rubio was traded to Utah for a 1st round pick)) and they were able to sign Taj Gibson as a free agent.

So I see a framework for Magic and Rob that is potentially greater with the right moves over the next few seasons. To me Randle is the X Factor. I hope we find a way to keep him because he's a potential all-star. Clarkson, Nance and Zubac are all expendable (we've had this discussion). Also, we have about the same amount of cap space than they had. With their space, they signed Teague (making Rubio expendable) and Gibson. So with a few savvy moves, we could be the Wolves next season, only a year ahead of their pace. In two seasons, we could be better than them. Don't underestimate Lonzo, BI and Kuz. They could be our Towns and Wiggins +1 and PG could be their Butler. Randle though ......
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:35 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:
lakerevolution wrote:

Guess I didn't realize we were already half-done. I was gonna say 30, then thought maybe we'd show some improvement based on the last two games. 33 wins is still ridiculous for the ability and on-paper potential of our staff and lineup. We have underachieved and that is a gross understatement. Kobe used to say that any season that doesn't end in a title is a wasted season, and though we knew the best outcome possible for this year was maybe an outside shot at threatening for the 8th seed, we started slow, never really sped up, and have yet to show any stability, consistency, team identity or promise for next season. A truly wasted season so far.

But we all know how quickly team fortunes change in the NBA. Gotta trust that Magic and Rob have major moves in the works.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:44 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:I do somewhat look at it like that. The Wolves last year were where we are now. They added Butler, so if we add PG that would be similar and I think PG is actually a hair better than Butler. Having said that Minnesota has a Very Good Center in Towns, we don't so that will still be an issue if we don't address it.

I agree that Wiggins (21), Lavine (21), Towns (21), Rubio (26), Shabazz (24), Dieng (27) and Dunn (22) were a better young core than Randle (23), Clarkson (25), Nance (25), Ingram (20), Ball (20), Kuzma (22), Hart (22) and T Bryant (20), but let's discuss that for a moment.

First, I would say that we are a full season behind their core because Kuzma and Lonzo are rookies and Ingram is a very young second year player. I don't think that anyone would argue that all three of our main young core players don't have all-star potential, and the same goes for Randle, who even if he isn't with us, could potentially used as a trade chip to land a star player much like the Wolves were able to land Butler with Zach Lavine and Kris Dunn. As for their main young core players, Wiggins was in Randle's draft class and was in his third season last year and Towns was a second year player like Ingram is this season. I would argue that we have more young assets and that Lonzo is on the same level as Towns in terms of potential to be Great and that Ingram has potential to be better than Wiggins. Who among their young core was their Kuzma? Lavine? Rubio has leveled out and was traded for Jeff Teague (essentially; Teague signed as a FA and Rubio was traded to Utah for a 1st round pick)) and they were able to sign Taj Gibson as a free agent.

So I see a framework for Magic and Rob that is potentially greater with the right moves over the next few seasons. To me Randle is the X Factor. I hope we find a way to keep him because he's a potential all-star. Clarkson, Nance and Zubac are all expendable (we've had this discussion). Also, we have about the same amount of cap space than they had. With their space, they signed Teague (making Rubio expendable) and Gibson. So with a few savvy moves, we could be the Wolves next season, only a year ahead of their pace. In two seasons, we could be better than them. Don't underestimate Lonzo, BI and Kuz. They could be our Towns and Wiggins +1 and PG could be their Butler. Randle though ......

This summer is going to be very interesting. I definitely think as the young guys grow we will see improvement much like Minnesota. Great Post by the way! Liked the way you explained things.
3Peatkb24

Previous

Return to LakerTalk