Game 38: 01/05/18 Hornets at Lakers at GAME THREAD

Game 38: 01/05/18 Hornets at Lakers at GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:45 am

(14-23)Image at Image(11-26)

Friday, January 5, 2018, 7:30 PM PDT
Staples Center • Los Angeles, CA

Referees: Bill Spooner (#22), JT Orr (#72), Gediminas Petraitis (#50)

Replay Center: Courtney Kirkland, Brett Nansel, Scott Twardoski

Line: Hornets -2.5

GAME PREVIEW: HORNETS AT LAKERS

by NBA.com

The Charlotte Hornets will be aiming for two wins in a row for the first time since Thanksgiving week when they visit the Los Angeles Lakers at Staples Center on Friday.

The Hornets (14-23) are coming off a season-high point total in a 131-111 victory at the Sacramento Kings on Tuesday.

"We need to carry that over because our offense has not been very good up until this point, up until this trip, but things are starting to click a little bit and it's good." Hornets interim coach Stephen Silas told reporters after the victory against Sacramento.

They'll face a Los Angeles team that's lost eight in a row and the margins are growing.

The Lakers (11-26) beat the Hornets in Charlotte on Dec. 9, getting 22 points from Jordan Clarkson in the 110-99 victory, but they've gone 1-11 since.

Los Angeles reached a low point on the season Wednesday in a 133-96 loss to the visiting Oklahoma City Thunder, who shot 60.2 percent from the field.

"We really gave up," said Lakers rookie forward Kyle Kuzma, the team's leading scorer at 17.5 points. "They took a little lead and we just went to being selfish on the floor. We didn't compete on defense and they killed us. Flat out losing by 40, there's no in between about that."

At least the Lakers are getting healthier.

Starting center Brook Lopez returned against the Thunder after missing eight games with a sprained ankle, which occurred Dec. 18 against the Portland Trail Blazers. He had 10 points and five rebounds in 16 minutes off the bench against Oklahoma City.

Los Angeles has also been without starting point guard Lonzo Ball the past six games because of a sprained left shoulder, but he's hopeful to return against the Hornets.

"I want to," Ball said after practice Thursday. "Hopefully, they give me the go, and if they do, I'll be out there."

Ball was averaging 10 points, 7.1 assists and 6.9 rebounds before the injury, and the rookie from UCLA seemed to have found his shooting touch. He shot 47 percent from the field in the five games prior to the injury Dec. 23 against the Portland Trail Blazers, including 16-for-34 from 3-point range, to raise his season number to 34.9 percent from the floor.

It is hoped Ball can better facilitate an offense that ranks last in the NBA in 3-point shooting (32.6 percent), free throw shooting (68.8), and average the second-most turnovers per game (16.1).

Charlotte is second-to-last in the NBA in field goal percentage (43.9), despite have one of the league's most efficient shooters in center Dwight Howard.

Howard is still a recognizable name in Los Angeles after playing for the Lakers during their tumultuous 2012-13 season, the last year they made the playoffs. He's averaging a double-double for the 14th straight season at 15.7 points and 12.2 rebounds, and had 21 points and 12 rebounds against the Lakers last month.

Howard will likely necessitate Lopez returning to the starting lineup. Julius Randle and Kuzma have each moved into the starting five since the Lakers and Hornets last met, and one would likely head to the bench if Lopez starts. Randle has started four games this season and Kuzma 20.

http://www.nba.com/games/20180105/CHALAL#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 38: 01/05/18 Hornets at Lakers at GAME THREAD

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:10 am

It goes without saying that 11 wins out of 37 was not what Laker Nation was expecting. We simply have too much talent to be at or near the bottom of the league in so many categories. Effort, consistency, attitude, gameplanning, coaching, health, rotations, shot selection . . . so many things go into winning a game, and winning several games in a row, and being a "good team".

Coach Luke Walton has got to be feeling some pressure right now -- the self-imposed kind that comes from knowing that excuses, reasons and explanations are not enough to cut through the stark reality of 11 wins in 37 games. The random flashes of "good" we've seen this year, especially against some great teams, serve as a barometer and a talking point to ask why we've lost so many winnable games against other non-playoff teams.

#GOLAKERS
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:25 am

lakerevolution wrote:It goes without saying that 11 wins out of 37 was not what Laker Nation was expecting. We simply have too much talent to be at or near the bottom of the league in so many categories. Effort, consistency, attitude, gameplanning, coaching, health, rotations, shot selection . . . so many things go into winning a game, and winning several games in a row, and being a "good team".

Coach Luke Walton has got to be feeling some pressure right now -- the self-imposed kind that comes from knowing that excuses, reasons and explanations are not enough to cut through the stark reality of 11 wins in 37 games. The random flashes of "good" we've seen this year, especially against some great teams, serve as a barometer and a talking point to ask why we've lost so many winnable games against other non-playoff teams.

#GOLAKERS

We have to get healthy and if Lonzo is back tonight, perhaps we will start reversing course. The problem is that Charlotte has suddenly started playing solid basketball, so this won't be a gimme by any stretch. They beat the Warriors and then destroyed the Queens the other night, scoring 131 points in the process, a season high.

HAVING SAID THAT, I'll be representing, so I like our chances!

I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:05 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
lakerevolution wrote:It goes without saying that 11 wins out of 37 was not what Laker Nation was expecting. We simply have too much talent to be at or near the bottom of the league in so many categories. Effort, consistency, attitude, gameplanning, coaching, health, rotations, shot selection . . . so many things go into winning a game, and winning several games in a row, and being a "good team".

#GOLAKERS

We have to get healthy and if Lonzo is back tonight, perhaps we will start reversing course. The problem is that Charlotte has suddenly started playing solid basketball, so this won't be a gimme by any stretch. They beat the Warriors and then destroyed the Queens the other night, scoring 131 points in the process, a season high.

HAVING SAID THAT, I'll be representing, so I like our chances!

Maybe we get a win tonight, way to represent Ken! Hornets have been playing better lately though so this is 50/50.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby NuggetsCountry » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:04 pm

WTF is happening with Kuzma lately!? I don't get the games anymore, so I can't watch them. :panic:
Image :yeahthat:
NuggetsCountry
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 7

Postby Julius Russell » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:07 am

Personally I think Kuzma and Brandon are banged up.

Brook and kCP in and out the lineup hurt the chemistry and now confidence is lost.

Sad
Julius Russell

Postby Moos » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:10 am

Lonzo didn’t get much minutes cause of his injury his on restriction. When he was in he was open at least five times for 3s. But, played decent.

Kuzma played poor because he did not start, never got a rhythm, has been starting with one lineup for a while then is benched today.

Pope's stats speak for themselves, all zeros in 20 min... I'll give him an F performance in today's game.

Ingram gotten better with Lonzo coming back from injury.

Clarkson 3-19 FG, 1-5 3pt.

Coach Poppavich can't even save us with this team.

Excuses everywhere.

Next game Atlanta!!!
Moos

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:43 am

This team was very enjoyable to watch early on in the season. Over the last 9 games almost unbearable to watch during this 9 game losing streak. 11-27 is not what I envisioned. Trying not focus on wins/losses but that is really the bottomline and the best way to judge teams. We need to definitely make 1 or 2 huge moves this summer as I don't see us even winning 25 games this season at the rate we are going. What happened to our Defense, it was among the league's best until this losing streak, now it is one of the worst. I have never doubted Luke Walton once and realize he is in only season 2. I am starting to wonder though if he's the right guy for Lonzo and the team. So far he isn't even close to Brad Stevens coaching wise. Fucking Celtics may win the East this season :barf:
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:36 am

We need a win.
KobeMVP888

Return to LakerTalk