LAKERS 2022: The Off-Season Thread

LAKERS 2022: The Off-Season Thread

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:25 pm

Well, that was not exactly how we envisioned defending our championship!

First things first - THT just got an offer from the Lakers. In 65 games (four starts), he averaged 9.0 points on 46% shooting with 2.8 apg, 2.6 rpg and 1.0 spg in 20.1 average minutes. Can he do more with more minutes? Or is it a sign-and-trade move?

We really need to flood Jeannie and Rob with emails :waaaaa: about what they should do, because we obviously know best.

As always . . GO LAKERS :pimp:
lakerevolution

Re: LAKERS 2022: The Off-Season Thread

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:00 am

lakerevolution wrote:Well, that was not exactly how we envisioned defending our championship!

First things first - THT just got an offer from the Lakers. In 65 games (four starts), he averaged 9.0 points on 46% shooting with 2.8 apg, 2.6 rpg and 1.0 spg in 20.1 average minutes. Can he do more with more minutes? Or is it a sign-and-trade move?

We really need to flood Jeannie and Rob with emails :waaaaa: about what they should do, because we obviously know best.

I heard on ESPN the Lakers are interested in Russell Westbrook because he has a non-stop motor and would take pressure off of LeBron. We need better perimeter shooting in reality though like a Danny Green again. I would love to have Westbrook but his 1 weakness is, he can't shoot the 3. We need 1 more rim protector that is good as well, AD can't protect by himself. Getting rid of Howard before the season was a huge mistake.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:56 am

3Peatkb24 wrote:
lakerevolution wrote:Well, that was not exactly how we envisioned defending our championship!

I heard on ESPN the Lakers are interested in Russell Westbrook because he has a non-stop motor and would take pressure off of LeBron. We need better perimeter shooting in reality though like a Danny Green again. I would love to have Westbrook but his 1 weakness is, he can't shoot the 3. We need 1 more rim protector that is good as well, AD can't protect by himself. Getting rid of Howard before the season was a huge mistake.

We need the next Ray Allen, Reggie Miller and Steph Curry to appear on our court wearing Forum Blue and Gold. That's truly what Bron and AD need.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:10 pm

lakerevolution wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:

We need the next Ray Allen, Reggie Miller and Steph Curry to appear on our court wearing Forum Blue and Gold. That's truly what Bron and AD need.

I will give Reggie a call, he is probably still good for 1 Qtr lol - he still looks like he is in his 30's. If LeBron and AD could surround themselves around with 3 sharp shooters and 1 more rim protector then I would believe we could win 1 more in the LeBron era. I like Caruso and KCP, but I am 50/50 on Drummond. Drummond is a good player for the most part because of his rebounding and he can score at times, his rim protection though is :WTFface: . I thought Harrell played better for the Clippers than he did with us so he kind of let me down. Schorder let me down to - I expected more from him. Magic was ESPN about a month ago and said we need get rid of Schorder because he isn't a leader and doesn't play a Laker. I agree with Magic.

THT is a decent hard nosed role player and a fan favorite. Marc Gasol has become a stiff as Kenny would say :roflmao: . He was a huge let down and he is still under contract through next season!

The big question is, what do we do with Kuzma? I thought he could become a good #3 but I am leaning toward him as being decent trading material to at least get another good/maybe great 3 point shooter. He looked awful vs the Suns.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:40 pm

RUSSELL WESTBROOK is a Laker! Lakers trade Kuzma, Harrell, KCP, and their #22 pick for Russ.

I love this trade, he will take pressure off of LeBron but we still need more 3PT shooters. Thoughts?
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:27 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:RUSSELL WESTBROOK is a Laker! Lakers trade Kuzma, Harrell, KCP, and their #22 pick for Russ.

I love this trade, he will take pressure off of LeBron but we still need more 3PT shooters. Thoughts?

Definitely a WIN NOW, swing for the fences type of move, one that - with all players healthy - will take some pressure off of LeBron and give AD a fantastic guard to play off of. Big thanks to KCP for all he did for us, and best wishes to Kuz - his departure will put smiles on many Laker fans' faces. The Montrezl experiment was a bust, but he's still got some years left to help a team win games. Wow. Well, the Suns, Jazz and the rest of the West's top teams are now on notice: The Lakers are all about The Finals.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:48 am

lakerevolution wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:RUSSELL WESTBROOK is a Laker! Lakers trade Kuzma, Harrell, KCP, and their #22 pick for Russ.

Definitely a WIN NOW, swing for the fences type of move, one that - with all players healthy - will take some pressure off of LeBron and give AD a fantastic guard to play off of. Big thanks to KCP for all he did for us, and best wishes to Kuz - his departure will put smiles on many Laker fans' faces. The Montrezl experiment was a bust, but he's still got some years left to help a team win games. Wow. Well, the Suns, Jazz and the rest of the West's top teams are now on notice: The Lakers are all about The Finals.

This will be Westbrook's best chance to get a ring. He is playing with LeBron while LeBron is still great but LeBron has shown signs of being injury prone and not being the best player in the league anymore. AD has me on edge because he is injury prone as well, great player but gets nagging injuries constantly. We still need to add a sharp shooter and a rim protector besides AD to win it all. The Suns, Jazz, and Warriors are going to be loaded and ready in the West. The Nets if healthy and the Bucks are no joke either. Bucks are the Champs until someone knocks them off their throne.
3Peatkb24

Postby Julius Russell » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:59 pm

So, sorry I have been so inactive.
So much to talk about with this Russell Westbrook acquisition.
Start with the losses, a pick that could pan out in a few years or maybe even be a standout rookie but probably wouldn’t crack a playoff rotation.
KCP, a guy who was an up and down shooter but pretty reliable when it mattered the most and probably the third best overall player in the title run. We will miss his defense and shooting and his ability to play a role.
Kuzma was a solid 6-8, defending, rebounding forward, with scoring capability. Gonna miss him.

We got a machine. Energetic playmaker, who changed the speed and pace of the team no matter who we put around those three. Every night the effort will be there.
Gotta see the rest of the roster before I speak on fit but obviously we need some shooters
Julius Russell

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:40 pm

Howard is back! We added him, Ariza, and Ellington - good moves. We lost Caruso though, I liked him, the Bulls snagged him.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:17 pm

Just WOW. if anyone had ANY notion that Robert Pelinka, Jeannie Buss and *ahem* LeBron James were fooling around with the Lakers' title window . . this last week should put ALL of it to rest. This, on paper at least, is one of the best Laker teams ever assembled.

LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Russell Westbrook
Dwight Howard
Marc Gasol
Carmelo Anthony
Trevor Ariza
Dennis Schröeder (?)
Talen Horton-Tucker
Kendrick Nunn
Wesley Matthews (?)
Kent Bazemore
Wayne Ellington
Malik Monk
Jared Dudley :waaaaa:

There are some other names that could round out a Championship-or-Bust depth chart: Andre Iguodala is a former client of Rob Pelinka. Danny Green is still available. It depends on what happens with Schröeder and Matthews, and if the Lakers decide to keep a spot open for Devontae Cacok - who will likely go to the South Bay Lakers.

The Lakers couldn't throw a pebble in the ocean last year, so here's a look at the 3pt% of our new additions:

Ellington - 42.2% on 6.0 3PA
Anthony - 40.9% on 4.7 3PA
Bazemore - 40.8% on 2.7 3PA
Monk - 40.1% on 5.0 3PA
Ariza - 35% on 4.8 3PA

At the very, very least . . this is a team that Laker fans can get EXCITED about and envision making a serious run at a title. Last season showed us that the West can be ours for the taking with health on our side. Whoever we get in the Finals will have to contend with our old-school grind-it-out style, and if Vogel can somehow get this roster to hit on all cylinders at even an 85-90% pace, it's going to be an entertaining season not only for Laker fans but the entire league to watch.
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:50 pm

"We've all played for a long time," said Ariza, 36, who revealed that 20 minutes after Westbrook was traded to L.A. that the fellow UCLA Bruin started recruiting Ariza to join the Lakers. "We've all done things that are pretty amazing by just being in the league for this long. So to see all those minds coming together and all these talents coming together, I think that is going to be amazing."

"It's something that's really hard to fathom. Just imagine seeing all of us on the floor at the same time, not on an All-Star team, not on the Olympic team, not for a charity game, but for an actual season all of us will be together," Howard said. "That's going to be great. All of our guys are hungry. We want to win. We want to stay in the best shape possible.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:56 pm

lakerevolution wrote:"We've all played for a long time," said Ariza, 36, who revealed that 20 minutes after Westbrook was traded to L.A. that the fellow UCLA Bruin started recruiting Ariza to join the Lakers. "We've all done things that are pretty amazing by just being in the league for this long. So to see all those minds coming together and all these talents coming together, I think that is going to be amazing."

"It's something that's really hard to fathom. Just imagine seeing all of us on the floor at the same time, not on an All-Star team, not on the Olympic team, not for a charity game, but for an actual season all of us will be together," Howard said. "That's going to be great. All of our guys are hungry. We want to win. We want to stay in the best shape possible.

I think we are all in for 1 more year, an older team but a lot of talent. If we get #18 this year that would be the cherry on top of being a Lakers fan for 40+ years. Westbrook getting a ring would be nice to see, I love his game.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:18 pm

Not sure if we should be thanking Dennis for his efforts - most Laker fans seem to be shaking their heads and laughing at how he played himself. I read an alleged tweet from him in which he was expressing his joy about becoming a Celtic :brainfart:

Anyway, that opens up more room for another youngish vet who knows how to shoot, pass and play D. I'm a little concerned about our older lineup but any team with Brodie, Bron and Brow can't lose too many games, right? It's going to be fun seeing Melo get the ball in his sweet spots (hopefully he doesn't build brick houses) and see how LeBron moves without the ball, since he won't have to be the main triple-double guy. I just hope and pray :xfingers: that we don't lose one of our stars to a season-long injury - that would suck. I'm also very interested to see what Ariza will be able to do back on the court where he made a name for himself. The Lakers are gonna be the hottest ticket in town! 3Peat you may have to make this the season you fly out for a game! We should plan something for early next year, whenever the flights are cheapest. You gotta get at least ONE Staples Center visit in during your life - and with the team we have now it's a unique chance to see all these HOFers on one team.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:49 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Not sure if we should be thanking Dennis for his efforts - most Laker fans seem to be shaking their heads and laughing at how he played himself. I read an alleged tweet from him in which he was expressing his joy about becoming a Celtic :brainfart:

Anyway, that opens up more room for another youngish vet who knows how to shoot, pass and play D. I'm a little concerned about our older lineup but any team with Brodie, Bron and Brow can't lose too many games, right? It's going to be fun seeing Melo get the ball in his sweet spots (hopefully he doesn't build brick houses) and see how LeBron moves without the ball, since he won't have to be the main triple-double guy. I just hope and pray :xfingers: that we don't lose one of our stars to a season-long injury - that would suck. I'm also very interested to see what Ariza will be able to do back on the court where he made a name for himself. The Lakers are gonna be the hottest ticket in town! 3Peat you may have to make this the season you fly out for a game! We should plan something for early next year, whenever the flights are cheapest. You gotta get at least ONE Staples Center visit in during your life - and with the team we have now it's a unique chance to see all these HOFers on one team.

We do have an older team so I would monitor their minutes throughout the season. Vogel has an interesting job at doing that lol. The whole Dennis thing makes me do this :waaaaa:
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:53 am

Been reading articles about potential lineups when LeBron is not on the floor. There are several combinations for Vogel to choose from, and though Westbrook and Davis will likely anchor the offense when LeBron rests, there will be times when only one of them is on the floor. We will definitely need smart rotations and schemes to get the ball in the bucket - and consistent help from our younger players. Possibly the most potent lineup defensively would feature Westbrook at PG, Kendrick Nunn at SG, Kent Bazemore and Trevor Ariza as forwards and Anthony Davis guarding the paint. From here you can go anywhere, switching in Marc Gasol for more size, Dwight Howard if AD needs a rest or is in foul trouble, Talen Horton-Tucker and Malik Monk for more rim-attacking offense, and Carmelo Anthony for relief when any of our shooters needs a rest.

Statistics and analytics say that we are a better rim-attacking, spacing and shooting team this year, and we certainly have a seasoned mix of basketball I.Q. Our least-potent lineup is any one that features Melo, so using him off the bench will be an interesting challenge for Vogel. With a healthy and rested LeBron over the course of 4 quarters and our offense keeping us in games when he takes a breather, this team should absolutely challenge for one of the top two seeds in the West. There's no time to play around - this lineup is built to win now.
lakerevolution

Next

Return to LakerTalk