Round 1, Game 5: 06/01/21 Lakers at Suns GAME THREAD

Round 1, Game 5: 06/01/21 Lakers at Suns GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:11 am

(2-2) LAKERS AT SUNS (2-2)

Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 7:00 PM PDT
Phoenix Suns Arena - Phoenix, AZ

Referees: James Capers (#19), Ken Mauer (#41), Curtis Blair (#74), Karl Lane (#77)

Replay Center: JB DeRosa, Courtney Kirkland

Line: Suns -5.0
O/U: 207.5

National TV: TNT
Local TV: Spectrum Sportsnet

GAME PREVIEW: LAKERS AT SUNS: 5 (4) questions for Game 5

by Harrison Faigen, @hmfaigen, silverscreenandroll.com

The Lakers and Suns are all evened up at 2-2 in the first round as the NBA playoffs continue, which makes Game 5 potentially pivotal. Whoever wins will have at least two tries to close this thing out, and whoever loses will need to win their next two games in a row to stay alive.

So with that in mind, let’s catch up on everything you need to know about the banged-up Lakers as they get set for the biggest game of their season so far.

Will Anthony Davis play?

Probably not. The latest reports are that Davis is “unlikely” to play in Game 5 with a Grade 1 groin strain. But while Lakers head coach Frank Vogel confirmed Davis’ diagnosis at practice on Monday, he also left the door theoretically open for his star to play.

“He’s literally day-to-day,” Vogel said. “We’re going to treat him overnight, do everything we can to get it feeling better, and we’ll see where he’s at tomorrow.”

But the team doesn’t appear to be pressuring Davis to suit up, despite the stakes of this game. He already impressed his teammates with his willingness to play through the left knee sprain that was nagging him heading into Game 4.

“He wants to play, like everybody in this locker room. He’s got passion for this game. He wants to play. He wants to help us get a win,” said Lakers guard Dennis Schröder. “He really wanted to be out there. He gave it everything he had, his last percent, and just tried to make it work for us, and it means a lot to me, the organization, teammates. It means a lot. It’s great to see.”

However, those exact qualities are why Vogel didn’t want to over-read into Davis’ mood at practice before the team flew to Phoenix.

“I’d rather not get into that,” Vogel said. “These guys, they’re great competitors. They’re always going to say ‘I’m ignoring this, I’m gonna be in there.’

“That’s what his mindset is, like any competitor,” Vogel continued. “We’ll see what the groin feels like tomorrow and make a smart decision, but he’s in good spirits.”

Who will start if Davis can’t play?

Vogel, who has become known for almost never revealing his starting lineup until the league-mandated 30 minutes prior to tip off, laughed when ESPN’s Dave McMenamin asked him if he was leaning towards starting Kyle Kuzma in Game 5 after he did so to take Davis’ place in the second half of Game 4.

“You think I’m going to give you the direction I’m going to go?” Vogel asked, smiling in a sort of disbelief. “I’m not going to give you the direction I’m going to go in Game 5.”

That’s no surprise, but Vogel’s choice of starter to replace Davis might be, because it may not be Kuzma. During the regular season, it was Markieff Morris who replaced Davis while he missed months with Achilles and calf injuries. While the veteran reserve has been lightly used in the playoffs so far — he’s played exactly 12 minutes total in two games, posting a plus-minus of 0 — he might be called upon again to replace Davis here.

It’s not just that Vogel has already asked him to do so once that’s served as the evidence. Morris also tweeted this essentially right after practice ended: "Opportunity .. "

We'll see, but Morris is probably the safest guess right now.

How big of a load can LeBron James carry?

After the Lakers lost on Sunday, James was confident he could still give the team as much as they needed from him if Davis were to miss time.

“These shoulders were built for a reason,” James said then. “If it takes me putting some more on top of them, so be it. Win, lose or draw, I’m ready for the challenge.”

But how big of a challenge? Without Davis, does Vogel feel like he needs to play his star 40-plus minutes? To approach Game 5 like a Game 7?

“We’re going to do whatever we need to do to win this game. That’s the simplest way to put it,” Vogel said. “If he plays 48 minutes, he’s not going to be fresh at crunch time, and we need him to be fresh at crunch time. So we’ll manage accordingly, and we’ll do everything possible to win this game.”

That might included playing James as much as his 36 year old body can handle, because the Lakers have been a mess without him on the floor in the playoffs so far. The Lakers have been outscored by a team-worst 37.1 points per 100 possessions when James is on the bench, compared to outscoring the Suns by 12 points per 100 possessions when he plays.

But that noted, Vogel feels like playing James a ton isn’t necessarily the only solution for that stat.

“The first thing is that we have to win the minutes when he’s off,” Vogel said. “There’s a lot of things to be looked into to try and create the right environment for those guys to succeed.”

To that end, Schröder said that some of the biggest things the coaching staff emphasized in practice was having “unselfishness without the ball” in Game 5.

“Make the cut for somebody else to get open,” Schröder said, giving an example.

If the Lakers can’t suddenly figure out a way to become a good team without James and Davis on the floor, however, then it seems like a safe bet James will play more. How much more is the question.

Will Kentavious Caldwell-Pope return?

Caldwell-Pope was a game-time decision for Game 4, ultimately sitting out with his left knee contusion. He is being listed as questionable for this one with the same injury. In some rare positive health news for the Lakers, though, he says he’s feeling better.

“I’m fine,” Caldwell-Pope said. “I wanted to play, man, it was just 50/50. Felt a little soreness in my knee, so I kind of called it.”

Caldwell-Pope was able to get a light workout in at the team’s Monday practice without discomfort, however.

“I felt fine. No pain,” Caldwell-Pope said. “So we’ve just got to see. I’m still day-to-day. I feel soreness here and there, but we’ll see. I felt good when I woke up.”

As long as that’s the case tomorrow, it’s probably a good bet he’ll play in Game 5.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/202 ... v-schedule
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Round 1, Game 5: 06/01/21 Lakers at Suns GAME THREAD

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:49 am

You say toh-may-toh, I say to-mah-toh. Schlemeizel, schlemazel.

Lakers in 7.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:11 am

lakerevolution wrote:You say toh-may-toh, I say to-mah-toh. Schlemeizel, schlemazel.

Lakers in 7.

I am feeling good today, Lakers in 6 :slamdunk:
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:15 pm

I'm going with 3Peat. No AD; no problem.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:20 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:I'm going with 3Peat. No AD; no problem.

I just have a feeling we will pull this out because almost everyone is taking the Suns tonight. I think LeBron will have something to say about that. I can see LeBron pulling a Magic Johnson tonight when Kareem was out in the 80 Finals, I predict LeBron goes for 35, 10 and 10.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:21 pm

Well I am not always right :waaaaa: , so much for my gut feeling tonight. This is bad! Down 66-36 at Half. We can't be this bad without AD can we?? The one thing that bothers me is, we are playing like we don't care. We look slow/lethargic and the Suns are playing like they want it more. So far a disappointing effort. I will say this whoever wins Game 6 will win this series IMO, they better not let this go 7 because we won't lose that. Time for Plan B, I am putting a movie in - Sudden Impact, ol Dirty Harry - that is great stuff.
3Peatkb24

Postby Lakers4Life » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:32 pm

Not what I expected :angry2:
Lakers4Life

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:26 am

:WTFface:
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:40 am

PATHETIC!

HAVING SAID THAT, the Boston Celtics won't win their 18th championship, Danny Ainge is stepping down and Brad Stevens is replacing him. Will they bring in Larry Bird to coach?

As for us, we're toast. AD and LeBron desperately need rest and we haven't played much together as a team this season and it is showing. I think it's Suns in 6 now, which could be a blessing.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:52 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:PATHETIC!

HAVING SAID THAT, the Boston Celtics won't win their 18th championship, Danny Ainge is stepping down and Brad Stevens is replacing him. Will they bring in Larry Bird to coach?

As for us, we're toast. AD and LeBron desperately need rest and we haven't played much together as a team this season and it is showing. I think it's Suns in 6 now, which could be a blessing.

Last night was a disaster in so many ways. I am still not giving up though because if we get Game 6 anything can happen in a Game 7. As much as I think CP3 is a great player and Booker is very good to great, CP3 teams have a history of choking in series and LeBron has never lost in Round 1, his teams are 14-0. I guess it depends on how healthy AD will be and it is a shot make league. Hopefully they have an off night from 3 and we are making ours. Anything can still happen is my point.

We should've never let Dwight Howard go, when I seen he and McGee were let go I had a bad feeling about it. Their interior defense/length is sorely missed.

A loss here really doesn't hurt LeBron's legacy but it doesn't enhance it either IMO. He is in my Top 5 players of all-time as it stands now, great player and best of his generation but by the eye test he is still no Jordan or Magic and I go back and forth on whether or not he is better than Kobe. LeBron is better than Bird but it is by a hair.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:00 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:
KobeMVP888 wrote:PATHETIC!

Last night was a disaster in so many ways. I am still not giving up though because if we get Game 6 anything can happen in a Game 7. As much as I think CP3 is a great player and Booker is very good to great, CP3 teams have a history of choking in series and LeBron has never lost in Round 1, his teams are 14-0. I guess it depends on how healthy AD will be and it is a shot make league. Hopefully they have an off night from 3 and we are making ours. Anything can still happen is my point.

We should've never let Dwight Howard go, when I seen he and McGee were let go I had a bad feeling about it. Their interior defense/length is sorely missed.

Regarding the Celtics, they are a mess and I love it. Jason Tatum is very good but there FO is a mess and coaching situation is now questionable. I am not sure Stevens is cut out to be a GM?? I hate to say this but if we lose to the Suns we will be a mess too moving forward. LeBron has a lot of age on him now and AD is injury prone. I am glad we at least got 1 Championship with LeBron so it wasn't a total waste signing LeBron if we don't win a 2nd. We tied the Celtics for most Championships with 17 so history wise it is all good no matter what happens the rest of these playoffs.

A loss here really doesn't hurt LeBron's legacy but it doesn't enhance it either IMO. He is in my Top 5 players of all-time as it stands now, great player and best of his generation but by the eye test he is still no Jordan or Magic and I go back and forth on whether or not he is better than Kobe. LeBron is better than Bird but it is by a hair.
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk