Round 1, Game 3: 05/27/21 Suns at Lakers GAME THREAD

Round 1, Game 3: 05/27/21 Suns at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Thu May 27, 2021 7:05 am

(1-1) SUNS AT LAKERS (1-1)

Thursday, May 27, 2021, 7:00 PM PDT
Staples Center - Los Angeles, California

Referees: Scott Foster (#48), Sean Wright (#4), Sean Corbin (#33), Gediminas Petraitis (#50)

Replay Center: Tom Washington, Jacyn Goble

Line: Lakers -7
O/U: 210.5

National TV: TNT
Local TV: Spectrum Sportsnet

GAME PREVIEW: SUNS AT LAKERS: Playoff basketball is back at Staples Center

by Christian Rivas, @RadRivas, silverscreenandroll.com

It’s been just over eight years since the Los Angeles Lakers last played a playoff game at Staples Center. They played a play-in game against the Golden State Warriors at Staples earlier this month, but that wasn’t technically a playoff game, even though LeBron James felt like it was.

“I’m going to be honest, man: our Laker faithful — in that Warriors game, in that play-in game — made it feel like a playoff game and we treated it like a playoff game,” James said after Tuesday’s game. “Obviously this is a different situation but it felt like it. It felt like a playoff game.”

The last actual playoff game the Lakers played in Los Angeles took place on April 28, 2013. The No. 7 Lakers were down 3-0 in their first-round series with the No. 2 seed San Antonio Spurs and with Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Metta World Peace, Jodie Meeks and Steve Blake all sidelined, everyone knew the series was going to end in a sweep that night.

The Lakers will be a No. 7 seed taking on a No. 2 seed when they host the Phoenix Suns on Thursday night, but the circumstances will be much different. Not only are they expected to have a clean injury report, but they’re coming off of a win on the road that tied the series at 1-1.

“It’s going to be pretty special for our fans, to just have fans in the building” James said. “We want to continue to make them proud and that’s what I came here for; to be able to play a playoff game in front of the Laker faithful.”

There won’t be as many fans at Staples Center as there would be in a normal season. There won’t even be as many fans as there were at the Phoenix Suns Arena in Arizona due to California’s COVID-19 restrictions, Kyle Kuzma thinks the energy in the building is going to be electric.

“It’s going to fun,” Kuzma said after practice on Wednesday. “It’s going to be really fun. I’m really excited for it, I think we’re all excited for it. The organization is excited for it.”

The Lakers aren’t going to let their level of excitement distract them from the task at hand, though. After splitting games on the road, they’ll try and win their next two games at home and take a commanding 3-1 lead in the series, which Kuzma recognizes is easier said than done.

“It’s going to be tough,” Kuzma said. “They always say the first one is easy and the second one is tough because teams understand who you are, they understand how you win, they understand what you’re trying to do defensively and what makes you good. We’ve seen that the firs two games of these early playoffs with us ...

“It’s a fun challenge, though. It’s like chess or a puzzle: just trying to figure out where it is and put the pieces where they need to be and we did that in the second game.”

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/202 ... les-center
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Round 1, Game 3: 05/27/21 Suns at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Thu May 27, 2021 7:07 am

Anthony Davis better not accidentally kick anyone in the nuts tonight. Scott Foster is reffing!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Thu May 27, 2021 7:32 am

These Suns are not going to quit. We may be bigger physically and have tons more playoff experience, but the youth movement and all the new talent in the NBA is certainly taking over, and the speed and the 3-game is the new reality. I don't know if our LeBron-led team has enough Showtime in it to withstand the attack of the Suns, then possibly the Nuggets and Jazz. As Vogel reiterated after game 2, defense is still our calling card and truthfully it's our only chance of getting anywhere near the Finals.

But I digress. One step at a time. Game 3.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu May 27, 2021 8:18 pm

Defense is definitely our calling card. Held the Suns to 40 points in the 1st Half. Lakers lead at Half 43-40. Davis with 12 Points and Drummond with 9 Rebounds. Our Big's doing work!
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu May 27, 2021 8:53 pm

I will tell you what is a good sign, when you can shoot 3-20 from 3 like we are and still be up 83-68. That still proves it is a Big man's game at times. Davis is just dominating with 30 Points and Drummond now has 11 Rebounds. Our defense is smothering :lthup: .
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu May 27, 2021 9:45 pm

Lakers win but I didn't have much doubt. This is why I called Booker streaky and not technically a Superstar, when the chips were down he didn't deliver. He was 6-19 with only 19 Points, very good player, but great - Nah. Teams in NBA history up any series 2-1 win 78% of the time. We pretty much got this now. Might as well just put us and Utah in the WCFinals like I predicted, it is going to happen.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Thu May 27, 2021 10:57 pm

The guys looked like they were having fun out there, and clearly getting under the skins of some Suns players. Had we shot a little better from 3, it would have been an easy win but after that dismal 2nd quarter we came out on fire after halftime. KCP's injury means more minutes possibly for THT, Wes or Ben - we'll see how Vogel handles it. Great way to bring back the excitement to Staples, now we have two days of rest before the all-important Game 4.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri May 28, 2021 7:59 pm

lakerevolution wrote:The guys looked like they were having fun out there, and clearly getting under the skins of some Suns players. Had we shot a little better from 3, it would have been an easy win but after that dismal 2nd quarter we came out on fire after halftime. KCP's injury means more minutes possibly for THT, Wes or Ben - we'll see how Vogel handles it. Great way to bring back the excitement to Staples, now we have two days of rest before the all-important Game 4.

KCP is day-to-day. If he can't go on Sunday, Wes gets the start. He's a seasoned playoff veteran and matches up against Booker better than anyone else. Another interesting option would be to start Kuz and go big and bring Wes and GOAT off the bench, of course. Lotsa depth. Lotsa options.
KobeMVP888

Postby Julius Russell » Fri May 28, 2021 11:00 pm

Caruso, THT, MCLemore. I’m confident in each in different ways.

Let’s finish these guys quick
Julius Russell

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat May 29, 2021 6:32 am

Julius Russell wrote:Caruso, THT, MCLemore. I’m confident in each in different ways.

Let’s finish these guys quick

I rarely disagree with you, Robert, but as much as I love THT, he's not ready for prime time. As for McLemore, take a seat. Just give Alex, Wes and Kuz more minutes and we'll be fine if KCP can't go.
KobeMVP888

Return to LakerTalk