Round 1, Game 2: 05/25/21 Lakers at Suns GAME THREAD

Round 1, Game 2: 05/25/21 Lakers at Suns GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue May 25, 2021 7:20 am

(0-1) LAKERS AT SUNS (1-0)

Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 7:00 PM PDT
Phoenix Suns Arena - Phoenix, AZ

Referees: Zach Zarba (#15), Tre Maddox (#23), Brian Forte (#45), Mitchell Ervin (#27)

Replay Center: Leon Wood, Derrick Collins

Line: Lakers -1.5
O/U: 209.5

National TV: TNT
Local TV: Spectrum Sportsnet

GAME PREVIEW: LAKERS AT SUNS: What’s the plan for Devin Booker?

by Christian Rivas, @RadRivas, silverscreenandroll.com

In order to get into the NBA Playoffs, the Los Angeles Lakers had to get past one of the purest scorers in the league, MVP finalist Stephen Curry. If they’re going to advance further, they’re going to have to slow another bucket-getter in Phoenix Suns All-Star Devin Booker. That is easier said than done, as they found out on Sunday.

In Game 1, Booker scored 34 points on 13-26 shooting from the field and 3-7 shooting from behind the arc in 45 minutes over the course of his playoff debut. It didn’t matter who the Lakers put on him; he got to his spots with ease and made the most of the good looks he got, because that’s what All-Star scorers do.

“I think it’s just Devin Booker being Devin Booker,” Andre Drummond said after practice on Monday. “The shots he was taking were contested. We defended him well. I think earlier in the game we allowed him to get a lot of easy shots, which is what got him into that rhythm to where he could hit those push shots at the end of the game. I think we just need to do a better job of being more physical on him.”

Lakers guard Kentavious Caldwell-Pope spent more time than any other Laker (eight minutes) defending Booker, and although his final matchups stats weren’t great, he agreed that he and his teammates did a good job of trying to stop Booker. However, he didn’t agree that Booker had “a lot” of easy shots.

“He just made a lot of tough, contested twos,” Caldwell-Pope said. “I didn’t think he had an easy shot besides the one he had at the top of the key.”

“We made it tough for him. He had to take tough twos, and he’s a great player. All-Star. He’s going to knock down some of them shots, we’ve just got to be more physical with him,” Caldwell-Pope continued. “Try to take him out of his game as much as possible.”

There are arguably more pressing issues the Lakers need to address ahead of Game 2, starting with their transition defense, but Frank Vogel acknowledged that Booker is someone that they have to be more mindful of on Tuesday.

“He had a good game, and we all have to be better on the ball,” Vogel said. “It’s a five-man assignment. We have coverages in place, and KCP is as good as anybody at sticking with a guy like Devin, an elite scorer.”

Notes and Updates

Anthony Davis (right shoulder sprain) and LeBron James (right ankle sprain) have been listed as probable for Game 2. Chris Paul, who suffered an injury in Game 1, wasn’t on the Suns’ injury report.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/202 ... vin-booker
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Round 1, Game 2: 05/25/21 Lakers at Suns GAME THREAD

Postby lakerevolution » Tue May 25, 2021 8:12 pm

Drummond with a dub-dub already before halftime. AD with almost a half-trip-dub, LeBron in double digits with 5 assists and Schroeder gunning. COME ON KCP!!!
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Tue May 25, 2021 8:18 pm

Fucking Ayton 7-7 in the first half. GUARD HIM PLEASE.
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Tue May 25, 2021 9:47 pm

I guess Bron, AD and Drummond are our "Big 3" now, plus Schroeder as our reliable perimeter scorer. As for Kuz and KCP . . meh, we may need to package them outta town in the off-season. A win is a win. Hopefully it's all downhill from here - on to Staples!!
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Tue May 25, 2021 11:09 pm

Davis made 18 of 21 free throws and added 10 rebounds and seven assists. James added 23 points and nine assists.

"Those are two of the top five players in the NBA," Lakers coach Frank Vogel said. "We have a formula where those guys carry a big load, especially at crunch time."

:roflmao: Really, Frank? A "formula"? That's like saying, "After much observation, water is still wet."

Davis made 18 of 21 free throws and added 10 rebounds and seven assists.

Devin Booker led the Suns with 31 points and made all 17 of his free throws. Ayton had 22 points, 10 rebounds and shot 11 of 13 from the field.

Los Angeles is physically much bigger than Phoenix with Andre Drummond, Davis, James and Marc Gasol all standing 6-foot-9 or taller and tipping the scales at 250 pounds or more. The only player on the Suns' roster close to the size is Ayton. Unlike Game 1, the Lakers usually took advantage of that difference.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue May 25, 2021 11:16 pm

Really a huge win because going down 0-2 isn't an ideal situation for any team. Now it is 1-1 and we have HCA and the edge IMO. 3 things that stood out for me tonight was, we out rebounded them 39-31, we hit 10 3's to their 8, and Davis's ability to get to the line. He was more aggressive tonight. He is a very good FT shooter for a big man (18-21 tonight) so that really helps. I think we are letting Ayton just get his and focusing on defending the 3 a lot. That is fine as they were only 8-26 from 3 in this game.

1-1 now, new series but it feels like we have a definite advantage. Being down 0-2, I would've still gave us a 50% chance of winning the series, now I say it is up to 75%.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed May 26, 2021 7:42 am

KCP - 0 points, +19. He played his role and did a great job on Booker in the fourth quarter especially. AD was AD, LeBron with another dagger, and GOAT with the exclamation point flush! Andre Drummond asserted himself early and often, too, and Dennis Schroder made me eat my words about him. I do NOT think we played a great game by any stretch of the imagination, but this W was encouraging. There is much room for improvement. I was really impressed by Cameron Payne, but if CP3's injury is this serious, which it appears to be, then they are in trouble. That's why they play the games and why there is nothing quite like an NBA playoff series!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Wed May 26, 2021 10:38 am

Poor Chris - he always comes up lame in the playoffs and by now he must be furious about it. As for KCP, you saw how LeBron got in his face about playing tentatively on offense. We are rounding back into championship form.
lakerevolution

Return to LakerTalk