Game 48: 03/31/21 Cavaliers at Lakers GAME THREAD

Game 48: 03/31/21 Cavaliers at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:14 am

(29-17) BUCKS AT LAKERS (30-17)

Wednesday, March 31, 2021, 7:00 PM PDT
Staples Center • Los Angeles, CA

Referees: Tony Brothers (#25), Tom Washington (#49), Suyash Mehta (#82)

Replay Center: Matt Boland, Karl Lane, Matt Myers, Brandon Adair

Line: Bucks -9
O/U: 222

National TV only: ESPN

GAME PREVIEW: BUCKS AT LAKERS: The Andre Drummond Era is Here!

by Christian Rivas, @RadRivas, silverscreenandroll.com

Andre Drummond will make his debut for the Los Angeles Lakers in their game against the Milwaukee Bucks on Wednesday, Frank Vogel announced after practice on Tuesday. He also confirmed the report from Jovan Buha of The Athletic on Monday that Drummond will start over Marc Gasol, the latter of whom has started more games at center (38) than anyone else on the team this season.

“He’s going to start tomorrow night,” Vogel said. “We’ll keep an eye on his minutes — I don’t know what that’s going to look like — but he does appear to be in very good shape. It’s clear that he worked really hard during this time off, but there is no true simulation like playing in a game.”

Drummond hasn’t played a game of NBA basketball since Feb. 12, but apparently that wasn’t evident in his first team practice with the Lakers.

“He looked great,” Vogel said. “I think our group felt sort of an uptick in energy from having a guy like that come to our team midseason: someone that we know can help us, a good guy that’s going to fit in with our chemistry and everything. And he played really well... Everything we thought we were going to get in him, he showed in practice today. We’re excited to have him out there.”

Drummond was equally excited to get some run in with his teammates for the first time.

“The level of excitement for me is at an all-time high,” Drummond said. “Being off for a month and a couple days is crazy for basketball, and especially for me, never being in this situation. Having the opportunity to play again, I’m blessed and honored and excited to take this opportunity and make the most of it.”

Being brought into a new situation can be tough for a player, especially when they’re brought in during the middle of the season like Drummond was. However, there’s some level of familiarity with the Lakers for Drummond.

For starters, the team’s general manager, Rob Pelinka, was Drummond’s agent for two years. Drummond fired Pelinka in 2014. Additionally, two of Drummond’s former teammates — Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Markieff Morris — are with the Lakers, which he said has made his transition to the team easier.

“From the moment I got here, they showed me everything I needed to know, got me all the film I needed to be able to learn their schemes offensively and defensively,” Drummond said. “Being on the same court as them again was an incredible feeling. With Pope, I haven’t played with him in a couple years, and with Markieff, playing with him last year, the chemistry was already there.”

Drummond said he’s hopeful that Caldwell-Pope and Morris have made it known to Vogel that he’s a capable passer, but Vogel said he trusts everyone on the team to make the smart pass. The area that Drummond or his teammates didn’t need to sell Vogel on was his defense.

“He had a million steals in practice,” Vogel said with a chuckle. “Maybe some of them were fouls, but I think we let him get away with a little more than usual. But he has exceptional hands in pick and roll defense and post defense, pressuring bigs that are trying to facilitate from the top of the key, and I think that’s going to be a real strength of what he brings to the table defensively for us.”

Notes and Updates

LeBron James (right high ankle sprain), Anthony Davis (right calf strain) and Jared Dudley (right MCL tear) remain out for the Lakers.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/202 ... me-preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 48: 03/31/21 Cavaliers at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:20 am

Brethren, time flies when you're having fun!! Tonight's scrimmage will mark the end of the Second Trimester of the practice season. I am on vacation and typically my grades take quite a bit of thought, so while I hope to find time tomorrow to give my analysis of the second trimester, I can't make any promises. It is wonderful down here in Riviera Maya with perfect tropical weather and we're staying at a stunning resort, not to mention how safe it feels down here compared to California. Hopefully, AD2 and company will upset the charging Bucks tonight and give us a satisfying ending to an otherwise unpleasant second trimester. Go Lakers!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:19 pm

ESPN -

"Drummond scored four points in 14 minutes before limping off the court early in the third quarter after trying to play without the toenail on his big right toe. The nail was completely ripped off in the first quarter when Bucks center Brook Lopez stepped on Drummond's foot, but Drummond said he didn't notice the extent of the injury until halftime, even though it was "very, very painful."

"To have this happen to me in the first game is kind of deflating for me, but my head is high," said Drummond, who hadn't played in a game for Cleveland since Feb. 12. "I'm going to take it game by game and come back better than ever."

X-rays were negative on Los Angeles' new center, but the bruise adds another injury problem to the Lakers' list ahead of a tough schedule in April. James missed his sixth straight game for the Lakers with a sprained right ankle, and Davis missed his 20th consecutive game with a right calf injury.

"We don't worry about that," coach Frank Vogel said of the Lakers' mounting injury woes. "We worry about the guys in uniform. We know we have enough. We have a deep team. We've been playing better basketball, and we know we can win. Our group is going to grind."

Montrezl Harrell scored 19 points and Dennis Schröder added 17 points for the Lakers' supporting cast, but their two-game winning streak ended against the powerhouse Bucks, who rebounded smartly from a blowout loss to the Clippers.

Kyle Kuzma scored 16 points, but went 1 for 9 on 3-pointers. They hit eight of their first twelve 3-pointers, a solid effort by a team ranked 23rd in 3-point shooting percentage. They then missed 22 of their final 24."

_______

As if COVID protocols and trades and injuries to our two future HOFers wasn't enough in a year we're trying to defend our title . . . :ragein:

The difference in the game really came down to 1) losing Drummond, who was making his presence felt, and 2) the Bucks' excellent 3pt shooting, and our horrible % from behind the arc. We can't be champs in today's league with poor perimeter shooting - looks like we miss Danny Green after all.

I can't even imagine trying to play with an entire big toenail missing. The basketball gods MUST be testing us.

Glad to hear you're enjoying that vacation life, Kenny - you deserve it :potter: and if you're back in SoCal by the weekend of April 23, let's see if we can meet up, I'll be in the LA area just farting around with a friend :cheers:
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:29 am

lakerevolution wrote:Glad to hear you're enjoying that vacation life, Kenny - you deserve it :potter: and if you're back in SoCal by the weekend of April 23, let's see if we can meet up, I'll be in the LA area just farting around with a friend :cheers:

Check in with me when you get down here, Rev. I'll be back and I am up in LA a lot because my girlfriend lives in PV.

Sorry I had no time to post a second trimester grade report yesterday. We took a side trip to Tulum. Was the grade a C- or an incomplete? Considering it's the practice season, let's go with the latter.

Go Lakers!
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:46 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:
lakerevolution wrote:Glad to hear you're enjoying that vacation life, Kenny - you deserve it :potter: and if you're back in SoCal by the weekend of April 23, let's see if we can meet up, I'll be in the LA area just farting around with a friend :cheers:

Check in with me when you get down here, Rev. I'll be back and I am up in LA a lot because my girlfriend lives in PV.

Sorry I had no time to post a second trimester grade report yesterday. We took a side trip to Tulum. Was the grade a C- or an incomplete? Considering it's the practice season, let's go with the latter.

Go Lakers!

Hopefully you are enjoying your vacation Brethren, you deserve it. If you miss posting a game thread here or there it is no big deal, it is "the Practice Season". Regarding a grade for this trimester, IMO it is almost impossible to put a grade on it with AD being out the whole time and LeBron missing many games. I would just say incomplete.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk