Here is an updated 3Peat archives, best ever's, etc..

Re: Here is an updated 3Peat archives, best ever's, etc..

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:19 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:It's mainly about great quarterbacks, let's face it. Nice research!

Isn't that the truth. Look at how great the 49ers were from 1981-1994 with Joe Montana and Steve Young. Won 5 SB's in that 14 season stretch. Your glory days! What I consider my glory days are from 2003-2010 - I had 8 lovely seasons in a row where my Colts legitimately had a chance to win a SB, we only won 1 SB (2006) but in those 8 seasons went to 2 SB's (2006/2009) and our Regular Season record was a phenomenal 99-29. We started 3 seasons = 2005 12-0, 2006 9-0, and 2009 14-0. Of course we had Peyton Manning!
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat May 01, 2021 6:55 pm

If LeBron James wins this championship in 2021, I will probably move him to 2nd all-time on my greatest players ever list. Ahead of Magic and Kareem and I love both those guys. The Lakers are going to have to beat teams like the Jazz and Nets to get it done is why, another reason why is his longevity - he still plays like he is 30 lol. The Nets are just loaded and the Jazz are loaded too! The only reason why I have LeBron ahead of Kobe is he could just do more as an all-around player and he has won 4 League MVP's, Kobe only won 1. Kobe did get cheated out of a League MVP in 2006 though. The championships are about even, Kobe has 5/LeBron 4 but if LeBron wins this season that gives him 5. I have Kareem at #3 still out of respect because IMO he is greatest Center ever and has won 6 Championships and 6 League MVP's. He is also the NBA's all-time leading scorer. Centers can't do the things that floor players can do though, as in creating their own shot and the passing like a Point Guard.

What Magic did by winning Finals MVP as a rookie scoring 42 points, getting 15 Rebounds, and dishing out 7 Assists still may be the greatest thing I have ever witnessed. Magic did that without Kareem who was injured. The Lakers put the Sixers away at Philly, (otherwise we would've been facing a Game 7) who had DR J, Mo Cheeks, Andrew Toney, and Darryl Dawkins. 4 great Vets, it didn't matter. My eye test seen something that night that blew me away. I was almost 9 then and remember telling my mom that is the greatest basketball player I have ever seen and it's not even close. At the time I loved Kareem too. Michael Jordan came along and by the end of the 90's, I had to say he was the best ever. He just accomplished so much and never lost in the Finals going 6-0 with 6 Finals MVP's. It took that much for someone to out due Magic to change my thinking.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat May 08, 2021 8:09 pm

See below.
Last edited by 3Peatkb24 on Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun May 16, 2021 8:54 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:If LeBron James wins this championship in 2021, I will probably move him to 2nd all-time on my greatest players ever list. Ahead of Magic and Kareem and I love both those guys. The Lakers are going to have to beat teams like the Jazz and Nets to get it done is why, another reason why is his longevity - he still plays like he is 30 lol. The Nets are just loaded and the Jazz are loaded too! The only reason why I have LeBron ahead of Kobe is he could just do more as an all-around player and he has won 4 League MVP's, Kobe only won 1. Kobe did get cheated out of a League MVP in 2006 though. The championships are about even, Kobe has 5/LeBron 4 but if LeBron wins this season that gives him 5. I have Kareem at #3 still out of respect because IMO he is greatest Center ever and has won 6 Championships and 6 League MVP's. He is also the NBA's all-time leading scorer. Centers can't do the things that floor players can do though, as in creating their own shot and the passing like a Point Guard.

What Magic did by winning Finals MVP as a rookie scoring 42 points, getting 15 Rebounds, and dishing out 7 Assists still may be the greatest thing I have ever witnessed. Magic did that without Kareem who was injured. The Lakers put the Sixers away at Philly, (otherwise we would've been facing a Game 7) who had DR J, Mo Cheeks, Andrew Toney, and Darryl Dawkins. 4 great Vets, it didn't matter. My eye test seen something that night that blew me away. I was almost 9 then and remember telling my mom that is the greatest basketball player I have ever seen and it's not even close. At the time I loved Kareem too. Michael Jordan came along and by the end of the 90's, I had to say he was the best ever. He just accomplished so much and never lost in the Finals going 6-0 with 6 Finals MVP's. It took that much for someone to out due Magic to change my thinking.

I am sticking with this and no flip flopping. LeBron gets this Championship, I will move him into #2 as he then would have 5 and the stats, MVP's, and longevity to back that up. A lot of people have already done this but as of now he doesn't have the Championship pedigree to be ahead of Magic or Kareem. He and Kobe are pretty even IMO, Kobe had Shaq for 3 of those championships but he still has that magical 5 like Magic has.

-I hope LeBron and the Lakers get it done in 2021, if LeBron gets this done it would be his best championship out of all of them IMO with the exception of maybe the 1 he won in Cleveland over the Warriors in 2016.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon May 17, 2021 2:24 am

3Peatkb24 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:If LeBron James wins this championship in 2021, I will probably move him to 2nd all-time on my greatest players ever list. Ahead of Magic and Kareem and I love both those guys. The Lakers are going to have to beat teams like the Jazz and Nets to get it done is why, another reason why is his longevity - he still plays like he is 30 lol. The Nets are just loaded and the Jazz are loaded too! The only reason why I have LeBron ahead of Kobe is he could just do more as an all-around player and he has won 4 League MVP's, Kobe only won 1. Kobe did get cheated out of a League MVP in 2006 though. The championships are about even, Kobe has 5/LeBron 4 but if LeBron wins this season that gives him 5. I have Kareem at #3 still out of respect because IMO he is greatest Center ever and has won 6 Championships and 6 League MVP's. He is also the NBA's all-time leading scorer. Centers can't do the things that floor players can do though, as in creating their own shot and the passing like a Point Guard.

I am sticking with this and no flip flopping. LeBron gets this Championship, I will move him into #2 as he then would have 5 and the stats, MVP's, and longevity to back that up. A lot of people have already done this but as of now he doesn't have the Championship pedigree to be ahead of Magic or Kareem. He and Kobe are pretty even IMO, Kobe had Shaq for 3 of those championships but he still has that magical 5 like Magic has.

-I hope LeBron and the Lakers get it done in 2021, if LeBron gets this done it would be his best championship out of all of them IMO with the exception of maybe the 1 he won in Cleveland over the Warriors in 2016.

There are several players from this era that have been great with great resume's other than LeBron. I want to give credit to players like Kevin Durant, Steph Curry, Kawhi Leonard, Giannis, Jokic, CP3, Anthony Davis, and James Harden. I wanted to mentioned them because I talk about the old school players a lot but I respect these era's players big time. Having said that, lets say for shits and giggles my all-time top 10 players list since the 1977 season consisted of this:

1. Michael Jordan
2. Magic Johnson
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. LeBron James
5. Kobe Bryant
6. Larry Bird
7. Shaq O'Neal
8. Tim Duncan
9. Hakeem Olajuwon
10. Moses Malone

-Who can you realistically kick off that top 10 list to put any of the guys I mentioned above in the top 10? You really can't, that is why these lists are so hard. I try to factor in everything like stats, overall games won, championships won, League MVP's won, Finals MVP's won, longevity, clutchness = the 'IT' factor, and my eye test as I have watched and studied this game for over 4 decades. Had a player like Karl Malone won just 1 championship he would be in my top 10, have to win at least 1 like Moses did to make that list. Karl is 2nd on the all-time NBA scoring list with 2 League MVP's.
Last edited by 3Peatkb24 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Mon May 17, 2021 11:53 am

The last four on your list . . all big men/pseudo centers/PFs. There's a little wiggle room for another pre-merger guard like Logo or the Big O, or maybe a modern player like The Answer or Scottie or Dwanye Wade.
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Mon May 17, 2021 11:55 am

Or Steph.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon May 17, 2021 8:51 pm

lakerevolution wrote:The last four on your list . . all big men/pseudo centers/PFs. There's a little wiggle room for another pre-merger guard like Logo or the Big O, or maybe a modern player like The Answer or Scottie or Dwanye Wade.

Regarding Logo and Big O, I only took players that I have seen live since 1977 basically. They played before then. I do love me some Wade. Kobe was the closest to Jordan, then Wade was the closest thing to Kobe :clap-1: . A player like Dirk was unreal as well, he was similar to Bird, the difference between he and Bird though was Bird was a much better passer and more physical.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Mon May 17, 2021 11:35 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:
lakerevolution wrote:The last four on your list . . all big men/pseudo centers/PFs. There's a little wiggle room for another pre-merger guard like Logo or the Big O, or maybe a modern player like The Answer or Scottie or Dwanye Wade.

Regarding Logo and Big O, I only took players that I have seen live since 1977 basically. They played before then. I do love me some Wade. Kobe was the closest to Jordan, then Wade was the closest thing to Kobe :clap-1: . A player like Dirk was unreal as well, he was similar to Bird, the difference between he and Bird though was Bird was a much better passer and more physical.

I posted your list on my FB and got some typical lame responses. "What about Bill? Wilt? Oscar?" Everybody over 55 :waaaaa: wants to live (somewhat) in the past, but the reality is that Iverson, Kidd, Kyrie, Nash, even white chocolate JWill would run circles around Cousy and those old guards. Greatness is temporal, and I'm sure in another 30 years there will be a handful of players who make Magic, Bird and Duncan look like old fogies.
Similarly, the big man arguments will continue but as the competition improves so must the criteria. It's post-merger for me.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue May 18, 2021 12:40 am

lakerevolution wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:

I posted your list on my FB and got some typical lame responses. "What about Bill? Wilt? Oscar?" Everybody over 55 :waaaaa: wants to live (somewhat) in the past, but the reality is that Iverson, Kidd, Kyrie, Nash, even white chocolate JWill would run circles around Cousy and those old guards. Greatness is temporal, and I'm sure in another 30 years there will be a handful of players who make Magic, Bird and Duncan look like old fogies.
Similarly, the big man arguments will continue but as the competition improves so must the criteria. It's post-merger for me.

Oh of course I get that, I just listed players who I have seen live (started watching in 1977). I mean I have seen film on players like Russell, Big O, and Wilt but by the actual full game eye test I have not. If you had said I know someone that did a list post merger from the ABA, the older people 55 and up would've understood IMO. Going by stats and film/video that I have seen if I did a top 10 of all-time, it would look like this:

1. Michael Jordan
2. Magic Johnson
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. LeBron James
5. Kobe Bryant
6. Wilt Chamberlain would be here
7. Larry Bird
8. Shaq O'Neal
9. Bill Russell would be here - Eventhough it was a different league back then, you can't deny him top 10 status when he's won 11 championships. He averaged over 22 Rebounds a game and is arguably the best defensive player of all-time. It's not like he couldn't score either. Russell averaged 15.3 points a game for his career - respectable good.
10. Oscar Robertson

Olajuwon and Duncan wouldn't make my top 10 but that is just me, either would Logo and I love Logo.
Last edited by 3Peatkb24 on Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue May 18, 2021 10:10 pm

Here is a little fact to throw out to everyone, including the people over 60. The average HT in the NBA during the 1960's in the NBA was 6'4, in 1987 the average HT was 6'7, today it is still 6'7. That 3 inches makes a huge difference and guess what, today's HT has the same average as 1987. That is one reason why a team like the 1987/1988 Lakers would have no problem matching up with any team today. Teams as a whole from the 60's would have all kind of matchup problems with today's teams and 80's teams. During the 1960's, James Worthy could've played Center and dominated against almost anyone not named Wilt or Russell. Google it.

So anyone can have lame responses but I have done my research and know a lot of things that many probably don't know.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Tue May 18, 2021 11:56 pm

Greatness is greatness, but unlike ANY other professional sports league in the past few generations, the NBA has gone through dramatic changes in how players play and are defended. After the NFL merged the AFL into its fold, the downfield passing game and other offensive gimmicks were introduced - which made defenses change. The game became more complex, and better. Special teams grew more important and specialized roles and coaching were a must if you wanted to win. The NBA has seen dramatic changes since the early 70s, and as awesome as Wilt was he spent his prime years facing very limited competition. I have great respect for those who helped build and uplift the Association, but Larry Bird would have been the Michael Jordan of the league if he played in the 50s or 60s. Amare Stoudamire would have been Bill Russell if he played in that era. Allen Iverson would have run circles around Bob Cousy or Pistol Pete. Steph would dominate in any era. And LeBron would have made Oscar look like Gilbert Arenas :waaaaa:

Just my opinion.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed May 19, 2021 12:20 am

lakerevolution wrote:Greatness is greatness, but unlike ANY other professional sports league in the past few generations, the NBA has gone through dramatic changes in how players play and are defended. After the NFL merged the AFL into its fold, the downfield passing game and other offensive gimmicks were introduced - which made defenses change. The game became more complex, and better. Special teams grew more important and specialized roles and coaching were a must if you wanted to win. The NBA has seen dramatic changes since the early 70s, and as awesome as Wilt was he spent his prime years facing very limited competition. I have great respect for those who helped build and uplift the Association, but Larry Bird would have been the Michael Jordan of the league if he played in the 50s or 60s. Amare Stoudamire would have been Bill Russell if he played in that era. Allen Iverson would have run circles around Bob Cousy or Pistol Pete. Steph would dominate in any era. And LeBron would have made Oscar look like Gilbert Arenas :waaaaa:

Just my opinion.

One reason why I always give the nod to Kareem over Wilt is because of the competition he played against. Kareem had to face players like Hakeem, Moses, Ewing, Parish, and Walton, Kareem still held his own easily. Imagine Mark Eaton playing in the 60's, dude would average 5-7 blocks a game and be dunking all day and he wasn't even a scorer lol. Other than changes to the game like more 3point shooting and technology there isn't that much difference today compared to the 80's and 90's. If anything they made it easier to score in today's game, there is no hand checking or real physical play. In todays game if you foul someone hard going to the basket you risk getting thrown out of a game. Back in the 80's, you could get in a fight and not get thrown out on occasion - see Laimbeer and Bird. If you take the HT and WT from players in the late 80's and compared them to today there isn't much difference, compared to the 60's there is. LeBron is an outlier but even there Karl Malone was 6'9 260 pounds roughly the same HT and WT that had decent handles and could shoot. The 60's had some standout players like Wilt, Russell, Big O, Baylor, and Logo but I can reel off at least 30 players that got drafted from the 80's and 90's that would dominate today.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat May 22, 2021 11:51 pm

:pissedkobe:
Last edited by 3Peatkb24 on Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon May 31, 2021 2:12 am

:pissedkobe:
Last edited by 3Peatkb24 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
3Peatkb24

PreviousNext

Return to LakerTalk