Here is an updated 3Peat archives, best ever's, etc..

Here is an updated 3Peat archives, best ever's, etc..

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:40 am

We are now in 2021 and April is upon us. I have been watching sports since the 1977 season in all sports respectively. I was basically 5 going on 6 years old when my dad got me into sports. Here are my latest lists after 44 years/45 seasons of watching, since 1977 to now. Can't judge before 1977 because of no eye test which my great friend Tate would agree.

I will start off with RIP Kobe Bryant and RIP Elgin Baylor. We have lost 2 Laker legends recently and it is very sad!

My NBA top 5 greatest players since the 1977 season
1. Michael Jordan - SG
2. Magic Johnson - PG
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - C
4. LeBron James - SF/PF
5. Kobe Bryant - SG
X Larry Bird - SF/PF and Shaq O'Neal - C are right there on the cusp for top 5.

My NBA top 5 teams since the 1977 season and their Big 3's
1. 1987 Los Angeles Lakers - Magic, Kareem, James Worthy (Coach Pat Riley)
2. 1996 Chicago Bulls - Michael, Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman (Coach Phil Jackson)
3. 1986 Boston Celtics - Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Dennis Johnson (Coach KC Jones)
4. 2001 Los Angeles Lakers - Kobe, Shaq O'Neal, Robert Horry (Coach Phil Jackson)
5. 2017 Golden State Warriors - Kevin Durant, Steph Curry, Klay Thompson (Coach Steve Kerr)

My NFL top 3 QB's since the 1977 season
1. Tom Brady
2. Joe Montana
3. Peyton Manning

My NFL top 5 teams since the 1977 season
1. 1989 SF 49'ers - loaded, no weaknesses
2. 1992 Dallas Cowboys - loaded, no weaknesses
3. 2004 New England Patriots - Tom Brady and Bill Belichick, great defense too.
4. 1985 Chicago Bears - way ahead of their team, their Defense was a nightmare!
5. 1998 Denver Broncos - all around solid team led by Elway, TD had over 2000 Yards that season.

My top 3 MLB teams since the 1977 season
1. 1998 New York Yankees (114-48) - sadly Kenny and Nuggs rule (just joking)
2. 1986 New York Mets - (108-54) freakin New York :roflmao:
3. 2016 Chicago Cubs - (103-58) with no asterisk

-I still can't list players regarding my time of watching because of the steroid era. I will say this ignoring everything, Barry Bonds was the most dangerous power hitter I have ever seen. Teams were walking him on purpose, that is how dumb it was getting. Greg Maddux was the best Pitcher I have ever seen, could do everything with a slider, curve, and his fastball was around 93 prime years - not over powering but still great mode - 93 and up is considered great by MLB experts. His curve was the best in the history of the game. Maddux won over 350 games and won a WS in 1995. Best relief Pitcher I have ever seen is :mariano:

My Final 4 NCAA Basketball teams since the 1977 season
1. 1982 North Carolina Tar Heels (32-2) - Jordan, Worthy, Perkins = ridiculous
2. 1992 Duke Blue Devils (34-2)
3. 2012 Kentucky Wildcats (38-2) - played more games because of scheduling.
4. 1987 Indiana Hoosiers (30-4)
-this is the Final 4 I would watch all day.

:cheers: Feel free to chime in fella's, just trying to keep the site busy as my true Big3 are Kenny, Rev, and Nuggs :beavis:
Last edited by 3Peatkb24 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Re: Here is an updated 3Peat archives, best ever's, etc..

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:51 am

Having a small get together tomorrow/today now, Final 4 2021 party. Just 3 friends and myself. Cooking out Brats and Hamburgers. When I cook hamburgers I get a high grade of meat and make them half pound burgers with Garlic Powder lol. Mike's special burgers with a slice of Pepper Jack Cheese, slice of Tomato, and a dab of Ketchup. I will make 8 of those. I have a 10 pack of Brats I will cook up too. One of my friends is bringing over a batch of regular sized Hot Wings he is cooking up, he said around 30 Wings or so. I went to the store and bought 2 cases of strong ass Beer. It is called Voo Doo Ranger, someone at work had told me about this and now I am hooked. It has a 9% alcohol content and is an excellent IPA. Drinking 3 of those 12 ouncer's is like drinking 6 Bud Light's to give you guys an idea of how strong they are. A Bud Light is at 4.5%. After just 3 Voo Doo's I am feeling good, like I drink a 6 pack of Bud Light. The weather is going to great, high of 68 and sunny. Spring time rules baby!

Who do you guys have?
#1 Gonzaga vs #11 UCLA
#1 Baylor vs #2 Houston

I picked Gonzaga from the beginning to win it all on the one bracket I did. They are undefeated and have been the best team all season. So I will go with Gonzaga and pick Baylor over Houston.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:37 am

Can't argue with those top-5's. Can't argue with grilling huge burgers and brats, either. Or 9% beers (I'm nursing a slight hangover from drinking too many Vespers last night - shaken, not stirred).

Enjoy the day! The women's championship is all Pac-12 for the first time as Arizona knocked off powerhouse UConn to face Stanford. I'm still FUMING that the ucla briuns are in the Final Four and USC isn't . . I hope The 'Zags beat the brakes off 'em. Baylor should get past Houston too.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:26 am

lakerevolution wrote:Can't argue with those top-5's. Can't argue with grilling huge burgers and brats, either. Or 9% beers (I'm nursing a slight hangover from drinking too many Vespers last night - shaken, not stirred).

Enjoy the day! The women's championship is all Pac-12 for the first time as Arizona knocked off powerhouse UConn to face Stanford. I'm still FUMING that the ucla briuns are in the Final Four and USC isn't . . I hope The 'Zags beat the brakes off 'em. Baylor should get past Houston too.

Yeah USC just had the misfortune of playing Gonzaga in the Final 8. I think they win big over UCLA. The Baylor/Houston game is 50/50 but I will go with Baylor by the narrowest of margins. Gonzaga has a chance to be the 1st team to win it all going undefeated since the 1976 Indiana Hoosiers did it in 1976. People ask me about that Hoosiers team a lot and I have no memory of them :roflmao:. I was just so young I didn't watch them play, I was only 4 years old going on 5 when that happened. Life is strange because I have no memory of the 1976 NBA season or the ABA. My first memory was watching the news and seeing the Blazers beat Kareem in the 1977 WCFinals on a regular news channel here in Indy. Eventhough the Lakers lost, Kareem stood out as a player I loved. He was a giant and different. I had my mom start buying me basketball cards in 1978 because I wanted as many Kareem's and Dr J's I could get lol. What is funny is, I remember the 1979 National Championship game like it was yesterday. I remember watching the whole thing when Magic took down Bird. I just opened my 1st beer up, Cubs come on at 220pm EST and Big bad Jake is pitching, then the Final 4. I just walked outside and it is freakin nice out here, about time :waaaaa:. The weekly forecast is great showing high's in the low 70's all week and the low's in the low 50's which is real tolerable. Our Feb and March here sucked bigtime! We had a 10 inch snow in early Feb and had a 2 week stretch where the temps were around 0! It was cold and snowy up until about 10 days ago. Once April gets here, it is like living in a different state, crazy.
Last edited by 3Peatkb24 on Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:54 pm

Both my picks were right but I was off on how I thought the games would go. Gonzaga was the one involved in the tough game. It took a last second 3 by Suggs to sink UCLA. That was a fantastic game. That Timme guy from Gonzaga reminds me of Kevin McHale, dude has some lethal moves inside. My hats off to UCLA, they played a great game but just came up short. Baylor just destroyed Houston which surprised me. I thought Baylor would win but that was too easy. Monday's matchup will be interesting between Gonzaga and Baylor. I am sticking with the Zags to complete the undefeated season but it won't be easy.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:24 am

:pissedkobe:
Last edited by 3Peatkb24 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:58 pm

Wow! Gonzaga picked the worst night to play a bad game lol. Baylor thrashed them 86-70. The rebounding and 3pt shooting was the major difference. Baylor hit 10 3's to Gonzaga's 5 and out rebounded them 38-22. When you lose those 2 categories that badly you have no chance. The undefeated season just went down the :toiletclaw:
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:09 am

With Gonzaga losing, it has me gathering up a list of my greatest college teams with certain core's that failed to win a Championship. I have my top 5 NBA teams as well for this category. Of course since 1977. Certain core is the key phrase.

Here are my college teams, I will go from 5 to 1
5. 2021 Gonzaga - I actually have them here but they barely make my list, you will see why with the other teams I have in front of them. Lost in championship game.

4. 2010 Butler - that team was pretty loaded with Brad Stevens coaching them. Gordon Hayward was no joke, Matt Howard was a 6'8 230 pound meat head that reminded me of Rick Roby. He had game and was real physical. Shelvin Mack (guard) was a very good college player and clutch. Lost in championship game.

3. 1979 Indiana St - Larry freakin Bird. Carl Nicks (Guard) was a great player in college on that team as well. Nicks was a great Robin to Bird. Lost in championship game.

2. 1993 Michigan - Fab 5 led by Webber, Rose, and Howard. Lost in championship game.

1. 1983 Houston - this was an easy no brainer run away. Phi Slama Jama! Olajuwon and Drexler, this team looked like a pro team. Lost in the championship game.

Here are my NBA teams, I will go from 5 to 1
5. 2000 Portland Trailblazers - they took the Lakers 7 games in the 2000 WCFinals. Talk about a deep team, they went 9 deep = Rasheed Wallace, Scottie Pippen (older but still was good), Steve Smith, Damon Stoudamire, Arvydas Sabonis (he was a handful for Shaq), Detlef Schrempf, Greg Anthony, Brian Grant, and Bonzi Wells.

4. 1994 NY Knicks - lost in the Finals in 7 games to a Houston Rockets team that was great but wasn't Chicago Bulls great when Jordan was playing. Patrick Ewing is one of the best players in NBA history never to win a ring, I have him in my top 40 players of all-time. This team coached by Pat Riley was very physical with players like Charles Oakley and Anthony Mason. Their downfall was the inconsistent play they got from their guards. John Starks was good but could never reach the very good/great level.

3. 2002 Sacramento Kings - lost to the Lakers in 7 games in the 2002 WCFinals. That team was fundamentally sound led by Chris Webber, Peja Stojakovic, Mike Bibby, and Vlade Divac. They had Kobe and Shaq sweating in one of the best series of all-time but came up short losing in Game 7 in OT. Had they got by the Lakers, they would've smoked the Nets in the Finals.

2. 1997 Utah Jazz - lost in the Finals in 6 games vs the Chicago Bulls. Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen were just unbeatable at that time. That Jazz team had the series tied at 2-2 and was up by 15 points in Game 5 on their way to going up 3-2 but lost it in the final seconds. Bulls went on to win that game and closed out the series in 6. So close but yet so far. The duo of John Stockton and Karl Malone is one of the top duo's of all-time, I would say top 5. IMO Karl Malone is the greatest player ever never to win a ring. That core team just never had enough to get over the hump. This team was better than their 1998 team IMO, they played the Bulls much better in 1997.

1. 1998 Indiana Pacers - the team that had Michael Jordan's Bulls beat! Took the Bulls 7 games in the 1998 ECFinals and had them down 77-74 in Game 7 with 6 minutes to go. Only time I seen Phil Jackson worried to be honest (in his Chicago days) when he was pacing the sideline (thinking like - we may actually lose this series). That would've been Reggie Miller's year of glory had they got by the Bulls. They would've beat the 1998 Jazz IMO. Reggie Miller IMO is a top 40 player of all-time, he was extremely clutch in the playoffs as well. Deadly from 3 and was a NY Knick killer. The 1998 Pacers featured Reggie, had a 7'4 Rik Smits in his prime, the Davis's in Dale and Antonio, Mark Jackson, Jalen Rose, Derrick McKey - (great lengthy defender), and an ageing but still good Chris Mullin. That was a complete team that had very good Big's to go along with Miller but ran into the Bulls who had HCA. In that 7 game series vs the Bulls, the home team won every game. Miller wasn't intimidated by Jordan which was one of the reasons why the Bulls had a tough time winning this series. Normally the opposing guards were scared to death of Jordan before a game.

One last thing about that Pacers team that made them dangerous was having a guy like Travis Best. Sounds funny but he could create his own shot, get to the rim like a little mouse and score. He was quick as lightning and a nice weapon to have off the bench for Indy. I thought the Pacers played better at times when he was in and Jackson was out because he was great at penetrating, Jackson was better but beat you with his mind more than his athletic ability. Between those 2 PG's the Pacers had the best of both worlds. Best would definitely be considered a good role player by most. He was good for 6-8 points off the bench at crucial times.

-It was tough leaving off a core team like the 2012 OKC Thunder who featured Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, and James Harden. That team had a lot of talent but got man handled in the Finals by the Miami Heat 4-1, losing 4 straight games after winning Game 1. So they just missed my list.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:21 am

Nice breakdown! That was an entertaining time for NBA basketball - Jordan's last two titles, plenty of entertaining teams and our Lakers still a couple years from greatness. Reggie's Pacers definitely gave the Bulls all they could stand and you hear him still boasting about it today!
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:28 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Nice breakdown! That was an entertaining time for NBA basketball - Jordan's last two titles, plenty of entertaining teams and our Lakers still a couple years from greatness. Reggie's Pacers definitely gave the Bulls all they could stand and you hear him still boasting about it today!

Thanks Rev, this is what I do when I get bored. I was wide awake this morning when I got off work so added those 2 lists. All of it is opinion but a lot of it most people would agree with. I am pretty much in the ball park with all my lists but some may just have what I listed in different orders. That Pacers team could've made huge history and they had it right in their hands. Nobody could beat the Bulls when Jordan played a full season from 1991-1998 and the Pacers had it. Reggie still kicks himself today that they didn't win that series. Michael Jordan said that was by far the toughest series he had ever encountered in the 6 years he won it all. The Pacers actually held Jordan to 28 points in that Game 7 on 9-25 shooting, throwing different defenders like McKey at him. Rebounding in Game 7 was the difference, I remember the Bulls killing the Pacers on the offensive glass. Toni Kukoc saved their hide as well, he was on fire that game. When it came to the Jazz beating the Bulls, they were capable of it but that team lacked a Center that was consistent. The Pacers had that in Rik.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:22 am

:pissedkobe:
Last edited by 3Peatkb24 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:01 pm

Michael Jordan will be Kobe Bryant's presenter at the 2021 Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. Only fitting and perfect as Kobe was a clone of Jordan, like his little brother. :xclaphands:
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:26 pm

Been watching tons of Youtube video's today and if you go back and watch Magic Johnson and Larry Bird highlights you will see why they were as great as they are. There are actually people that are 30 or younger that think Curry is a better PG than Magic because he can shoot better lol. Just watch the highlights, Magic and Bird both toy'd with their opponents. I have watched both close for a long time and even after watching some Bird highlights today, his passing is better than LeBron's is and almost even with Magic. Some of the passes Magic and Bird made didn't even look human. The clutch shots they both made were insane. I would take this 80's team against anyone and would win:
PG - Magic Johnson

SG - Isiah Thomas - I would put him here, faster than Curry and better at going to the basket

SF - James Worthy - nobody could guard him today :waaaaa:

PF - Larry Bird - I would put him here as a floor spreader and he averaged 10 Rebounds a game for his career. He can hit 6 or 7 3's in one game if I needed him too "lol4:

C - Kareem - enough said

Michael Jordan would be on the 90's team. Shaq and Kobe would be on the 2000-2009 team. LeBron 2010-2019 team. Going by dominance per decade.
Last edited by 3Peatkb24 on Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:04 am

I was doing some major research regarding the NFL. My favorite football team the Indianapolis Colts since the 1999 season rank here in these categories:

Regular Season wins since the 1999 season
1. New England Patriots = 252-100
2. Pittsburgh Steelers = 223-227-2
3. Indianapolis Colts = 221-131

Most SB wins since the 1999 season
1. New England Patriots = 6

2. 4 tied - Pittsburgh Steelers = 2, Baltimore Ravens = 2, NY Giants = 2, Tampa Bay Buccaneers = 2
-5 teams so far

6. 8 tied - Indianapolis Colts = 1, St. Louis Rams 1, New Orleans Saints 1, Green Bay Packers 1, Seattle Seahawks 1, Denver Broncos 1, Philadelphia Eagles 1, KC Chiefs 1

-Colts rank tied at 6th for SB wins since the 1999 season and are 3rd with Regular Season wins. Colts rank at a 4.5 best out of 32 franchises based on these 2 main categories.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:07 am

It's mainly about great quarterbacks, let's face it. Nice research!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Next

Return to LakerTalk