Game 38: 03/12/2021 Pacers at Lakers GAME THREAD

Game 38: 03/12/2021 Pacers at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:31 pm

(16-19) PACERS AT LAKERS (24-13)

Friday, March 12, 2021, 7:00 PM PDT
Staples Center • Los Angeles, CA

Referees: Sean Wright (#4), Gediminas Petraitis (#50), Eric Dalen (#37)

Replay Center: Marc Davis, Matt Myers, Aaron Smith

Line: Lakers -4.5
O/U: 216.5

National TV: NBA TV
Local TV: Spectrum SportsNet

GAME PREVIEW: PACERS AT LAKERS: The limp to the finish line continues

by Harrison Faigen, @hmfaigen, silverscreenand roll.com

In their first game after the NBA All-Star break, the Lakers are going to look mostly the same as the team that left it. Anthony Davis (right calf and Achilles) and Marc Gasol (health and safety protocols) are both still out for their first game back against the Indiana Pacers. This will be the third game Gasol has missed, and Frank Vogel said there is no timeline for when he can return. Davis will be re-evaluated after the game.

But in addition to those two, the status of a few more guys may be in jeopardy. According to the team’s injury report, Kostas Antetokounmpo (health and safety protocols) is out as well — his second absence this season due to the protocols — while Alex Caruso (neck spasms), Jared Dudley (right knee contusion), LeBron James (sore left ankle), Damian Jones (lower back pain) and Kyle Kuzma (right heel contusion) are all probable.

James has been listed with some variation of that ankle injury for every single game this season other than the team’s opener against the Clippers, and despite some theorizing that the team is just listing him with it to not incur the wrath of the league if they sit him later, it certainly doesn’t sound like he’s planning on resting it much more than he did in the first half of the season, when he only missed one game, the final one before the All-Star break.

“It’s go time. Second half of the season, it’s time to get prepared for that last lap going into the postseason,” James said at practice on Thursday. “You guys know me by now. I’m not in the looking ahead, let me take this off or take that off. Nah, it’s go time for me.”

Whether or not it’s “go time” for his other teammates on the injury report remains to be seen. While all three are listed as probable, the Lakers may opt to be careful given that these neck spasms are now a recurring issue for Caruso, and because this heel contusion has been similarly nagging at Kuzma. But chronic injuries are also just part of playing in the NBA. James has been playing through them for years.

“I want to feel as good as I can, but I’m never going to be healthy again. Shit, I haven’t been healthy since the first year I entered the league,” James said.

Even younger players like Kuzma feel the physical toll.

“At the end of the day, we all have lingering issues, especially as you get older and older,” Kuzma said, and that’s not just because the Lakers are paying a price for the short, two-ish month offseason. Kuzma says that playing hurt is just part of the NBA experience.

“I’m not that old, but I just know that being in the league for four years, I feel a lot different now than I did when I first came into the league. Waking up, having body parts stiff, sore, stiff ankles, all those types of little things. We’re playing 72 games this year, but usually it’s 82 games,” Kuzma continued. “You’ve got practice every day and your body is not meant to do that. But it just comes with the territory, and that’s why they pay us so much money.”

James has famously used some of that cash to reinvest in trying to keep himself healthy, reportedly spending upwards of $1 million a year of his own money on his body. It hasn’t left him pain free, but he’s able to get through.

“I do a great job of just keeping my body in the best shape I can possibly be in during that particular season, but more importantly than my body is my mind. As long as my mind is fresh then I can get over the bumps and bruises that my body may endure,” James said. “My mind on the floor gets me through games and I’m still able to play at a high level... because of my IQ.”

But even he has never gone through anything like this season, and is just trying to deal with it as best he can.

“That first half of the season I just wanted to try and get my legs up underneath me, get my wind going, get my rhythm going and now that I have that, I know I can just give it a little bit more, push it a little bit more,” James said. “I view the first half of the season as being in gear one, two and three, and then in the second half being in more like four, five and six, and then when the playoffs start in seven(th gear). That’s kind of how I’ve always done it over the last few years of my career, just kind of ramping more and more as the months go on, as the games go on into the playoffs.”

The Lakers still have 35 games to go until then. As their injury report makes clear, they didn’t make it through the first 37 unscathed, but — starting against the Pacers — they’re going to try and make it through the second half as best they can. Even if it won’t be easy, or painless.

Notes and Updates

With Gasol out for this one, expect Damian Jones to start at center again in his place while playing out his second 10-day contract so that Montrezl Harrell can come off the bench like he prefers to. Even when Gasol returns, he may face competition for minutes eventually, as the Lakers are reportedly looking for another center in part because of his underwhelming play. In other notable news, Jeanie Buss seemed to hint that she’ll pay what it takes to keep the Lakers competitive in unsurprising but still newsworthy remarks.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/202 ... v-schedule
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 38: 03/12/2021 Pacers at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:01 pm

Glad Laker basketball is officially back! Good win tonight as the West is pretty deep once again. There are 10 teams in the West that will probably finish above .500 this season. We at least need to beat the teams we are supposed to beat without AD, we did that tonight. The Pacers are average at best this season and pretty much gave up on their season when they traded Oladipo away. Brogdon and Sabonis are all-star type of players but other than Turner they don't have much after that. T.J. Warren is still out too so we would've had no business losing this game. Anyway Lakers now at 25-13 and still 3rd in the West.

AD update:
He will still be out at least 2 more weeks per Dave McMenamin, I am ok with that. Just need him healthy come April to get back into playing shape, then in the playoffs of course.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:58 pm

Don't know why I didn't see the Gameday post - it's "GO" time as our modern-day Magic told the press yesterday. Here's how ESPN recapped the game:

LOS ANGELES -- — Kyle Kuzma scored 15 of his 24 points in the fourth quarter, LeBron James added 18 points and 10 assists, and the Los Angeles Lakers rallied late for a 105-100 victory over the Indiana Pacers on Friday night.

Montrezl Harrell had 17 points and Kuzma added 13 rebounds as the defending NBA champions returned from the All-Star break with just their fourth win in 11 games.

Los Angeles trailed by 12 points early in the fourth quarter before Kuzma led a ferocious rally to keep the Pacers winless against the Lakers at Staples Center since November 2015.

Malcolm Brogdon scored 23 of his 29 points in the first half for the Pacers, who opened a three-game road trip with their 11th loss in 16 games. Domantas Sabonis added 20 points, 14 rebounds and eight assists, but Indiana wilted down the stretch.

The Pacers still had the ball at midcourt down 103-100 with 9.9 seconds left, but Kentavious Caldwell-Pope stole Brogdon's inbounds pass and hit two free throws to ice it.

Brogdon lit up the Lakers for 18 points in the first quarter. Indiana had an 86-74 lead early in the fourth, but the Lakers made a 22-4 run and seized the lead on Kuzma's back-to-back 3-pointers.
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:09 am

This was a signature, career-like game for Kuz and an incredibly frugal win for us. 8-18 from the field including 3-6 from beyond the arc with 13 REBOUNDS and one personal foul in only 30 minutes! It's not often we get to say he was the best Laker on the floor but his late-game surge was the difference. He's definitely not a distributor - yet - so my early prediction of him being a Klay-type player is coming to fruition, I just hope his confidence and aggression grows as this season progresses.

LAKERS BABY!!!
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:33 am

lakerevolution wrote:This was a signature, career-like game for Kuz and an incredibly frugal win for us. 8-18 from the field including 3-6 from beyond the arc with 13 REBOUNDS and one personal foul in only 30 minutes! It's not often we get to say he was the best Laker on the floor but his late-game surge was the difference. He's definitely not a distributor - yet - so my early prediction of him being a Klay-type player is coming to fruition, I just hope his confidence and aggression grows as this season progresses.

LAKERS BABY!!!

Kuzma gives 100% effort when he is out there. I always said he could be that 3rd solid guy, we are seeing that now. His rebounding is really strong this season and he can score in bundles when he gets hot. Here is a question for you and Kenny, who is the better 3?

2010 Kobe, Pau, Lamar or

2021 LeBron, AD, and Kuzma? I still think we will repeat if healthy. We can even roll with 2020 LeBron, AD, and Kuzma since they did win it all for now.

Obviously I would take 2002 Shaq, Kobe, and Horry over those two though :slamdunk:
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:17 am

3Peatkb24 wrote:
lakerevolution wrote:This was a signature, career-like game for Kuz and an incredibly frugal win for us. 8-18 from the field including 3-6 from beyond the arc with 13 REBOUNDS and one personal foul in only 30 minutes! It's not often we get to say he was the best Laker on the floor but his late-game surge was the difference. He's definitely not a distributor - yet - so my early prediction of him being a Klay-type player is coming to fruition, I just hope his confidence and aggression grows as this season progresses.

LAKERS BABY!!!

Kuzma gives 100% effort when he is out there. I always said he could be that 3rd solid guy, we are seeing that now. His rebounding is really strong this season and he can score in bundles when he gets hot. Here is a question for you and Kenny, who is the better 3?

2010 Kobe, Pau, Lamar or

2021 LeBron, AD, and Kuzma? I still think we will repeat if healthy. We can even roll with 2020 LeBron, AD, and Kuzma since they did win it all for now.

Obviously I would take 2002 Shaq, Kobe, and Horry over those two though :slamdunk:

I'd have to go with the 2009-2021 trio of KOBEMVP888, 3PEAT AND LAKEREVOLUTION!!! :roflmao:

By the way it was Kenny's birthday yesterday, glad to have you around old man! :kingclaphands:
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:44 am

lakerevolution wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:

LAKERS BABY!!!

2010 Kobe, Pau, Lamar or

I'd have to go with the 2009-2021 trio of KOBEMVP888, 3PEAT AND LAKEREVOLUTION!!! :roflmao:

By the way it was Kenny's birthday yesterday, glad to have you around old man! :kingclaphands:

That is a great trio Rev :beavis: - 12 years and running with us. Oh, how I could forget that, Happy Birthday Kenny!!! :birthday2u: :cake: :mariano:
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk