This is a tough topic but I could only choose 5

This is a tough topic but I could only choose 5

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:16 am

My 5 players of any sport that are my favorites of all-time. I have been watching sports since 1977:

5. Jake Arrieta - He made my top 5. Explanation is, he was 2-0 in the 2016 WS and helped bring the Cubs their 1st World Championship in 108 years. He is the definition of clutch. He had a combined record = 2015 and 2016 season's of 40-14 with an era of 2.39. He won NL Cy Young in 2015 and threw 2 no hitter's = one in 2015 and another in 2016. In the 2015 and 2016 season's if the Cubs scored 3 runs or more he was unbeatable.

4. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - He is the reason why I became a Lakers fan. I thought he was bigger than life as 6 year old. He beat up Bruce Lee :roflmao: . He was on TV a lot before cable even came out. 6 Championships, 6 League MVP's, the Sky Hook, I love Cap!

3. Kobe Bryant - Closest thing to Michael Jordan we will ever see. When Shaq got traded, Kobe said hold my beer, I got this. Kobe wins back to back Championships without Shaq. I loved Kobe and his work ethic.

2. Peyton Manning - He is what the Indianapolis Colts stand for. Greatest player in Colts franchise history. He won 4 League MVP's and a SB MVP in Indianapolis and a brought the city of Indianapolis a SB Championship in 2006.

1. Magic Johnson - To me he is easily the greatest point guard of all-time. He is the greatest leader in all of sports period IMO. 9 finals in 12 seasons, 5 Championships in total. Any team he was on they were winning from high school to college to the Pro's.

Who are your guys Top 5 favorites? You can only choose 5.
Last edited by 3Peatkb24 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Re: This is a tough topic but I could only choose 5

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:21 am

3Peatkb24 wrote:My 5 players of any sport that are my favorites of all-time. I have been watching sports since 1977:

5. Jake Arrieta - He made my top 5. Explanation is, he was 2-0 in the 2016 WS and helped bring the Cubs their 1st World Championship in 108 years. He is the definition of clutch. He had a combined record = 2015 and 2016 season's of 40-14 with an era of 2.39. He won NL Cy Young in 2015 and threw 2 no hitter's = one in 2015 and another in 2016. In the 2015 and 2016 season's if the Cubs scored 3 runs or more he was unbeatable.

4. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - He is the reason why I became a Lakers fan. I thought he was bigger than life as 6 year old. He beat up Bruce Lee :roflmao: . He was on TV a lot before cable even came out. 6 Championships, 6 League MVP's, the Sky Hook, I love Cap!

3. Kobe Bryant - Closest thing to Michael Jordan we will ever see. When Shaq got traded, Kobe said hold my beer, I got this. Kobe wins back to back Championships without Shaq. I loved Kobe and his work ethic.

2. Peyton Manning - He is what the Indianapolis Colts stand for. Greatest player in Colts franchise history. He won 4 League MVP's and a SB MVP in Indianapolis and a brought the city of Indianapolis a SB Championship in 2006.

1. Magic Johnson - To me he is easily the greatest point guard of all-time. He is the greatest leader in all of sports period IMO. 9 finals in 12 seasons, 5 Championships in total. Any team he was on they were winning from high school to college to the Pro's.

Who are your guys Top 5 favorites? You can only choose 5.

I would say Pat Riley was my favorite coach. I am more of a Showtime guy though, I loved that era.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:59 pm

IN MY LIFETIME:

Sugar Ray Leonard. Growing up, he was the most iconic boxer and showman in the game. I missed the Muhammad Ali era, of course, but the early 80s was possibly the last Golden Age of boxing.

Lynn Swann. Before I was sucked into the family business of rooting for the Oakland Raiders, my first football love was the Pittsburgh Steelers. So many legendary players on offense and defense, and Lynn Swann was my favorite. Truly the athlete who made me want to catch the pigskin.

Steve Garvey. On a team full of great players, the late 70s/early 80s Dodgers had one man whose solid, consistent poise made him the face of the team. Garvey was the ultimate team player, a clutch hitter and one of the best first basemen in his era. He was always the barometer for the team's success.

Michael Jordan. Needless to say, His Airness had the most incredible effect on not only NBA basketball but the entire culture of sports entertainment. His consistent individual performance and eventual team leadership - combined with a legitimizing of the prevalent "playground" style of play - affected how every person moved, thought and even dressed on a basketball court.

Kobe Bryant. All of the Jordan swag, but an anti-hero to most outside of Los Angeles for basically his entire career. His rise to elite individual status and his aloof personality was often taken as being a rude, entitled asshole, but his vision (on the court and also of public perception to his killer mentality) held together a strong, unflinching attitude and desire to be the best. His life was star-crossed -- coming up as the Euro-raised son of a former professional player, having been criticized as a "Jordan wanna-be", despised as "too young to be that cocky", blamed for running Shaq out of town, crucified by most for his poor choices in Colorado, and ridiculed by fans for "not being able to win without Shaq". He successfully took on all that pressure, rose above it, ended his career amicably and gracefully through a string of unfortunate injuries, and launched into an incredibly diversified post-NBA career. He was, for most of us, the "greatest" Laker ever simply because of all this, and his work ethic and unapologetic drive to be his best inspired more than his teammates and peers - he thrilled and entertained the entire globe and will always remain the heart of Laker Nation.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:14 am

lakerevolution wrote:IN MY LIFETIME:

Sugar Ray Leonard. Growing up, he was the most iconic boxer and showman in the game. I missed the Muhammad Ali era, of course, but the early 80s was possibly the last Golden Age of boxing.

Lynn Swann. Before I was sucked into the family business of rooting for the Oakland Raiders, my first football love was the Pittsburgh Steelers. So many legendary players on offense and defense, and Lynn Swann was my favorite. Truly the athlete who made me want to catch the pigskin.

Steve Garvey. On a team full of great players, the late 70s/early 80s Dodgers had one man whose solid, consistent poise made him the face of the team. Garvey was the ultimate team player, a clutch hitter and one of the best first basemen in his era. He was always the barometer for the team's success.

Michael Jordan. Needless to say, His Airness had the most incredible effect on not only NBA basketball but the entire culture of sports entertainment. His consistent individual performance and eventual team leadership - combined with a legitimizing of the prevalent "playground" style of play - affected how every person moved, thought and even dressed on a basketball court.

Kobe Bryant. All of the Jordan swag, but an anti-hero to most outside of Los Angeles for basically his entire career. His rise to elite individual status and his aloof personality was often taken as being a rude, entitled asshole, but his vision (on the court and also of public perception to his killer mentality) held together a strong, unflinching attitude and desire to be the best. His life was star-crossed -- coming up as the Euro-raised son of a former professional player, having been criticized as a "Jordan wanna-be", despised as "too young to be that cocky", blamed for running Shaq out of town, crucified by most for his poor choices in Colorado, and ridiculed by fans for "not being able to win without Shaq". He successfully took on all that pressure, rose above it, ended his career amicably and gracefully through a string of unfortunate injuries, and launched into an incredibly diversified post-NBA career. He was, for most of us, the "greatest" Laker ever simply because of all this, and his work ethic and unapologetic drive to be his best inspired more than his teammates and peers - he thrilled and entertained the entire globe and will always remain the heart of Laker Nation.

That is a nice list. Growing up a young kid I was mainly a diehard basketball fan, hence Kareem and Magic who dominated through my teenage years as well. The Colts didn't move to Indy until 1984 and I didn't become a Cubs fan until 1984 as well when they won what was the NL East at the time. They were just always on WGN and I got addicted to Harry Caray and that franchise in general. Kobe carried on the Lakers legacy during the 2000's so for that he made my list. When it comes to the Colts and Cubs, Peyton (Colts) and Jake (Cubs) were the driving forces behind their Championships, for that they made my list.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:49 pm

1. Mickey Mantle
2. Muhammad Ali
3. Kobe Bryant
4. Magic Johnson
5. Joe Montana

IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:41 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:1. Mickey Mantle
2. Muhammad Ali
3. Kobe Bryant
4. Magic Johnson
5. Joe Montana

IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER.

Joe Montana - the first Tom Brady. He made everything look so effortless, he utilized a continually All-Pro collection of offensive weapons and of course he had Einstein on the sidelines calmly orchestrating everything. Watching his Niners teams season after season was a real treat - in the 80s he, Magic and Gretzky had the California sports world on lock.
lakerevolution

Return to LakerTalk