Game 27: 02/12/21 Grizzlies at Lakers GAME THREAD

Game 27: 02/12/21 Grizzlies at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:00 am

(10-10) GRIZZLIES AT LAKERS (20-6)

Friday, February 12, 2021, 7:00 PM PDT
Staples Center • Los Angeles, CA

Referees: Eric Lewis (#42), Dedric Taylor (#21), Leroy Richardson (#20)

Replay Center: Simone Jelks, Brett Nansel, Scott Twardoski, Haywoode Workman

Line: Lakers -7.5
O/U: 218.5

National TV: ESPN
Local TV: Spectrum SportsNet

GAME PREVIEW: GRIZZLIES AT LAKERS

by Harrison Faigen, @HBFaigen, silverscreenandroll.com

The Los Angeles Lakers are currently in the middle of what is perhaps the least impressive winning streak of all time. They’ve won six games in a row, but the last three were overtime victories in which they barely squeaked past two of the worst teams in the NBA: The Oklahoma City Thunder (twice) and the Detroit Pistons (once).

Without getting too deep in the weeds or unnecessarily meta, I will say this: Writing buzzer recaps for overtime games is difficult. My poor colleague Christian Rivas’ last two previews were an exhaustive documentation of his further devolution towards overtime-driven insanity. And it doesn’t sound like very many of you in this comments section or on other social media platforms have enjoyed these recent wins very much more than us bloggers.

A win is a win, but at what cost?

But more important for the Lakers than Christian’s mental state is the toll that overtime has to be taking on a 36 year old LeBron James. I mean, the Thunder and Pistons should not require THIS level of effort: LeBron James hasn’t played this much in a three-game span since the 2018 NBA Finals. The Thunder are the new Warriors.

Now, James tried to make it clear after the second game in that stretch that he’s not tired, but the Lakers are also saying they want to be sensible with his minutes. They’ve tried to find ways to rest him in games: Per InStat, LeBron James is shooting jumpers in more than half of his isolation possessions this year (54.7%). He's creating 0.91 points per play on such shots. LeBron is also taking jumpers out of 57.8% of his possessions as a pick-and-roll ballhandler. Both of those are up from last season, when he took jumpers out of 53.1% of his isolations, and out of 48.9% of his PnRs.

..and after them, like when head coach Frank Vogel decided to load manage his star during media availability on Wednesday, sending James home without speaking to reporters after beating the Thunder the second time so he could get more rest. I can’t blame them. I wouldn’t want to talk to us after all that, either. But even with James clearly picking his spots at times during games, skipping a five-minute chat with the media probably isn’t enough to fully offset the wear and tear he’s taking right now.

All that noted, James and the Lakers have earned some degree of benefit of the doubt here. No one knows James’ body better than James and his cadre of trainers. Still, he probably wouldn’t say no to a more consistent effort from this team that allowed him to rest for a fourth quarter or two. It would also surely be helpful if Anthony Davis (Achilles tendinitis) and Alex Caruso (sore right hand) came back to give the Lakers some reinforcements.

But whether those two play or not, Friday night should offer another opportunity for an easy win, at least theoretically. The Memphis Grizzlies — 10-10 and losers of four of their last five games — are coming to town as the Lakers’ home stand continues. With the way the Lakers have played in their last several games, though, a victory, even against this lesser opponent, is hardly a guarantee.

Or maybe it is, given that the Lakers have somehow pulled out wins in their last six. If they keep this stuff up against Memphis, they’ll either have their bad habits finally bite them, or just have to be thrilled that there is no style points evaluation on wins at the end of the year. But in my own self interest, I personally hope they pass on both of those and go for door No. 3. Because if us bloggers could use a blowout, I can only imagine how the guys playing in three overtime games in five days feel.

Notes and Updates:
Anthony Davis (right Achilles tendinosis) was able to practice on Thursday, but the Lakers are still listing him as questionable on the injury report.

The Lakers got some great results from their shorter rotation, but is it sustainable in the locker room long-term? Both Markieff Morris and Wesley Matthews don’t sound thrilled about their roles being reduced prior to Davis and Caruso’s absences, and while they said all the right things, this team’s chemistry in the face of such tough choices is something that has to be monitored.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/202 ... es-minutes
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 27: 02/12/21 Grizzlies at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:22 pm

Overtime anyone? Glad it is Friday, we have bad weather coming in here tomorrow with snow and temps down around 0 through the weekend. I am off until Monday night thank God. I went down to Wingstop and got me 50 Wings and stocked up on beer and Gatorade at the store.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:59 pm

Talking about taking candy from a baby. We fell behind early 22-2 and now up 5, 87-82 after the 3rd. We just toy with teams :roflmao: . LeBron caught fire there at the end of the 3rd.

What is everyone's over/under for the amount of Championships LeBron will win? I may put it at 5.5, he might win 6? It seems like 5 is the measuring stick in general for great basketball players. Kobe and Magic even Duncan won 5, Jordan and Kareem won 6. For starting QB's in football, winning 2 or more SB's is great but that is football because only 12 QB's have done it is why, Peyton won 2 COUGH COUGH. Basketball it is 5 or more IMO. I was watching a special earlier when Kobe and Shaq were talking and Kobe kept saying 5-4 :waaaaa: , don't get me wrong 4 is great but 5 seems like the magical number for most in the NBA.
Last edited by 3Peatkb24 on Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:28 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:Talking about taking candy from a baby. We fell behind early 22-2 and now up 5, 87-82 after the 3rd. We just toy with teams :roflmao: . LeBron caught fire there at the end of the 3rd.

What is everyone's over/under for the amount of Championships LeBron will win? I may put it at 5.5, he might win 6? It seems like 5 is the measuring stick in general for great basketball players. Kobe and Magic even Duncan won 5, Jordan and Kareem won 6. For starting QB's in football, winning 2 or more SB's is great but that is football because only 12 QB's have done it is why, Peyton won 2 COUGH COUGH. Basketball it is 5 or more IMO. I was watching a special earlier when Kobe and Shaq were talking and Kobe kept saying 5-4 :waaaaa: , don't get me wrong 4 is great but 5 seems like the magical number for most in the NBA.

You can put this one in the Fridge and watch the Jello jiggle baby! Davis has 35 points, damn LeBron just tore the rim off on that dunk :kingclaphands: :rthup: , another win. 21-6 now on the season.

Side note, Kuzma played his ass off tonight, 20 points and 10 Boards. He was beasting on the Boards in the 4th Qtr.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:33 pm

These opposing coaches are losing hair.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:14 am

I love how we're toying with teams. Great idea to spot them a 20 point lead to practice a long comeback after practicing 3 OT situations. I'm guessing that next on the scrimmage strategy is building a late 20+ point lead, giving it back, let them take the lead and come back in the last minute of the game. Or have we already been doing that? Next!!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:48 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:I love how we're toying with teams. Great idea to spot them a 20 point lead to practice a long comeback after practicing 3 OT situations. I'm guessing that next on the scrimmage strategy is building a late 20+ point lead, giving it back, let them take the lead and come back in the last minute of the game. Or have we already been doing that? Next!!

Yeah at this point it is definitely practice season. We can fall behind by 15-20 points and I still feel like we will come back and win. So far really the only team that semi scares me are the Jazz. The Jazz are playing out of their ass and Mitchell is a superstar, they also have a big that can defend the paint. I don't see anyone in the east being a threat at all unless the Nets just start to gel in March and April. Any team with Durant on it is dangerous.
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk