Game 23: 02/04/21 Nuggets at Lakers GAME THREAD

Game 23: 02/04/21 Nuggets at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:58 am

(12-8) NUGGETS AT LAKERS (16-6)

Thursday, February 4, 2021, 7:00 PM PDT
Staples Center • Los Angeles, CA

Referees: Tony Brown (#6), Marat Kogut (#32), JB DeRosa (#62)

Replay Center: Brandon Adair, Sean Corbin

Line: Lakers -4.5
O/U: 217

National TV: TNT
Local TV: Spectrum Sportsnet

GAME PREVIEW: NUGGETS AT LAKERS

by Christian Rivas, @RadRivas, silverscreenandroll.com

Right now, LeBron James is the betting favorite to win the MVP Award with +350 odds. Just behind James is Nikola Jokic, who the Los Angeles Lakers will see when they take on the Denver Nuggets at Staples Center on Thursday.

While the similarities in James’ and Jokic’s games might not be obvious to the untrained eye, Jokic believes they’re pretty evident.

“The speed is there,” Jokic said at the Nuggets’ practice on Wednesday. “We are the same athletic-wise. I don’t know, can he jump as high as me actually? But we are kind of similar. And quickness. He’s a little bit older so I don’t know if he can keep up with me.

‘I’m joking,” Jokic deadpanned. “Guys, he’s the best player in the league. He’s a guy who’s doing this for a long time and affects the game in every possible way. There is some kind of similarities with how we affect our teammates. I think that’s similar, and just that.”

Even without James’ speed and athleticism, the 25-year-old Serbian big man has done alright for himself.

The Joker is in the midst of a career year with averages of 26.8 points, 11.8 rebounds, 8.6 assists and 1.8 steals. He’s also shooting 57.4% from the field and 38.4% from 3-point range. In case you were wondering: no, there isn’t anyone else in the NBA posting those averages this season. In fact, if his stats hold, he’ll be the first player in NBA history to post those averages over the course of a season.

“He’s a hell of a player,” Anthony Davis said on Wednesday. “He’s playing extremely well this season. He’s able to shoot the ball, he’s able to score out of the post. He’s able to pass, so he does a lot for their team. He brings the ball up and they’re going to set screens fo him ... So he brings a different dynamic that we probably haven’t seen this year, and it’s always fun going up against a player like that.”

The Lakers saw just how good Jokic can be during the Western Conference Finals last year. Although the Lakers beat the Nuggets in five games, Jokic gave Los Angeles all sorts of problems, averaging 21.8 points, 7.2 rebounds, 5 assists and 2 steals per game.

As good as Jokic was, though, the Lakers were able to slightly minimize his impact by putting Dwight Howard — another big and strong center — on him. Davis recounted Howard’s importance to the Lakers in that series on Monday.

“He didn’t play much in Portland,” Davis said of Howard. “Didn’t play much in Houston, and then to come into a Western Conference Finals matchup or series and start the game for us and make sure that we secure the series, he came in and did his job. He put pressure on Jokic, being physical with him, maybe got in his head a little bit. Made it uncomfortable for him, and I think without Dwight, especially in that series, there’s no telling what would have been the outcome.

“He was a huge part of our success and he deserves every bit of that ring as much as anybody else on this team.”

This year, the burden of defending Jokic will largely on Marc Gasol, who’s the only true center on the Lakers’ roster. However, Frank Vogel downplayed the idea that the Lakers signed Gasol specifically to contain Jokic.

“I mean, we didn’t sign Marc for any individual matchups,” Vogel said. “But playing against one of the better centers in the league and having a defensive presence that can sort of tag team with Anthony (Davis) with what he’s able to do (at center) but we don’t want him doing full time, that was part of the job description.

“So knowing that Marc is an elite defender definitely weighed in to us bringing him into our team, but it wasn’t based on any individual matchup.”

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/202 ... ol-matchup
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 23: 02/04/21 Nuggets at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:02 am

Holy Elias Sports Bureau, Batman!! Those are incredible regular season numbers! If Jokic is The Joker, Marc Gasol is . . hmm . . maybe Alfred the Butler? Our Dynamic Duo of LeBron and AD had better gas up the Batmobile and be ready to *POW!* *WHACK!* *BANG!* these Salt Lake City miscreants to keep Los Gotham-geles safe for common folk like you and me.
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:36 am

"Their 21-point margin of victory was the biggest in franchise history after trailing by double digits at halftime, surpassing a 20-point win at Phoenix on Christmas in 1968. LeBron James made a finger-roll layup midway through the first quarter for his 12,682nd career field goal, pushing him past Wilt Chamberlain for third place in NBA history. Only Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (15,837) and Karl Malone (13,528) ever made more shots. James became the third-leading scorer in NBA history a year ago, trailing only Abdul-Jabbar and Malone."

Just about everybody who played significant minutes had a great night - especially after a halftime tongue-lashing by Vogel. Gasol continues to struggle, but he did put in the invisible-on-the-stat-sheet effort to give Jokic trouble. Great win!
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:39 am

Great 2nd half, LeBron with a TDB in a 114-93 win, team is now 17-6. :kingclaphands:
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk