Game 20: 01/28/21 Lakers at Pistons GAME THREAD

Game 20: 01/28/21 Lakers at Pistons GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:58 am

(14-5) LAKERS AT PISTONS (4-14)

Thursday, January 28, 2021, 5:00 PM PDT
Little Caesar's Arena - Detroit, MI

Referees: Brian Forte (#45), Eric Dalen (#37), Robert Hussey (#85)

Replay Center: Ray Acosta, Suyash Mehta

Line: Lakers -8.5
O/U: 214

National TV: NBA League Pass only
Local TV: Spectrum SportsNet

GAME PREVIEW: LAKERS AT PISTONS

by Harrison Faigen, @HMFaigen, silverscreenandroll.com

The running tally of Anthony Davis mea culpas this season is getting hard to keep track of. There was early in the season, when he started out by criticizing his own defense. Then, a few weeks later, he got so frustrated he kicked over a drink cart and called out the entire Lakers roster’s effort on D. A couple weeks after that, he went after himself again.

“I suck right now,” Davis said then.

In short, it really does not seem like Davis is enjoying this season very much, and perusing the stats, it’s easy to see why he’s starting to get criticized for his production. He’s averaging his fewest points (21.9) since his second season in the league. His rebounds (8.8) are at their lowest since his rookie year. His free-throw shooting, normally a bastion of reliability, is at its lowest percentage (71.1%) ever. And after declining to use his health as an excuse and saying his free-throw woes were mental, Davis issued another declaration to assembled reporters after the team’s loss to the Sixers on Wednesday.

“You’ll see tomorrow,” Davis said.

In this case, tomorrow refers to the Lakers’ Thursday matchup with the Detroit Pistons as the purple and gold continue their seven-game road swing. At 4-14, Detroit is currently in last place in the Eastern Conference and has the worst record in the NBA. The Pistons are also in the bottom third of the league in both offensive and defensive efficiency, according to NBA.com. Most of the headlines on our sister site, the excellent Detroit Bad Boys, will look familiar to anyone who stuck around here for the Lakers lottery years, as they’re basically all about trading what few good players they have for assets or trying to fix overpaid underperformers.

In short, the Pistons are very bad, and like the Lakers, they also lost last night, meaning they won’t have extra energy.

With all that context in mind, would Davis fulfilling his promise and beating the absolute hell out of the poor Pistons on the interior actually tell us anything about his season, or shift the confidence in his recent play in any meaningful way? I don’t know, but it would certainly be better than the alternative where he doesn’t. At the very least, it would be indicative of the right mindset, especially if the Lakers actually take care of business and just put Detroit away early without giving up a late comeback (as has been their wont of late).

Either way, with only a few more hours until the Lakers tip off against the Pistons at 5:00 p.m. PT, we won’t have to wait long to see if Davis delivers on this latest declaration.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/202 ... hony-davis
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 20: 01/28/21 Lakers at Pistons GAME THREAD

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:21 pm

They beat Boston on New Year's Day then came back against them two days later in a high-scoring two-point loss. They beat PHX by 20 and Philly by 15, so this team is no slouch. HAD we won last night this would be a killing, but my mind is on an upset. Focus.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:51 pm

lakerevolution wrote:They beat Boston on New Year's Day then came back against them two days later in a high-scoring two-point loss. They beat PHX by 20 and Philly by 15, so this team is no slouch. HAD we won last night this would be a killing, but my mind is on an upset. Focus.

AD sucked. Harrell really sucked. Shroder pretty much stunk it up. Matthews was awful. (etc, etc) YET, we were one missed shot from winning the practice game somehow.

Lakers by 20 tonight.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:21 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
lakerevolution wrote:They beat Boston on New Year's Day then came back against them two days later in a high-scoring two-point loss. They beat PHX by 20 and Philly by 15, so this team is no slouch. HAD we won last night this would be a killing, but my mind is on an upset. Focus.

AD sucked. Harrell really sucked. Shroder pretty much stunk it up. Matthews was awful. (etc, etc) YET, we were one missed shot from winning the practice game somehow.

Lakers by 20 tonight.

AD is out . . ?
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:19 am

I didn't visit the site last night because I thought we played Detroit on Friday. My mind isn't right lol. We got our ass kicked I see but it is all good. What is wrong with AD?
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:42 am

Annnnd --- somes you lose. In hindsight, should we have just kept the band together and take it from there? Maybe have offered Christian Wood the Full MLE? That's what I'm thinking. Matthews stinks, Schroder isn't a fit, Harrell is .. well .. Harrelll, and Gasol is an over the hill stiff. Just sayin'. Next!
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:09 pm

I was trying to post but kept getting that strange error message . . .
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:10 pm

L.A. mustered just 34 points in the second half -- the fewest the Lakers have scored in any half since LeBron James joined the franchise in 2018 -- and was outscored 25-14 in the fourth quarter by a Pistons team that came into the night with the second-worst record in the league at 4-14.

The Lakers went scoreless for nearly seven minutes -- from the 8:40 mark in the fourth quarter until there was 1:50 on the clock -- as the Pistons' lead ballooned from one to 17. L.A. went on an 0-for-12 drought with two turnovers as Detroit took control.

"I think we just weren't connected defensively at the level we were kind of supposed to be," said Kyle Kuzma, whose 22 points and 10 rebounds were spoiled by the Lakers' late collapse. "Individually, everybody made mistakes and collectively with those made the team defense suffer a little bit."

That team defense, which was ranked No. 1 in the NBA going into Thursday, played without Anthony Davis, last season's Defensive Player of the Year runner-up, who was out with a bruised right thigh.
lakerevolution

Return to LakerTalk