LAKERS 2021 - The Quest to Repeat!

Re: LAKERS 2021 - The Quest to Repeat!

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon May 10, 2021 9:38 am

lakerevolution wrote:12 apiece from Trez and Ben (who is doing some pretty fine shooting!), 17 apiece from Alex and KCP (who only shot 3-pointers all night but went 4 of 9!) and of course an unstoppable monster night for AD. Both teams made 39 total buckets (we shot 7 more than them), and Phoenix actually shot a better %, but we grossly out-rebounded them and got the rest of our points from the FT line thanks to lots of fouling by Chris Paul, DeAndre Ayton and Frank Kaminsky. Good defensive showing except on Cameron Payne, who's averaging 7.7 points a game this season but exploded for 24 tonight on 9-for-10 including 4-of-5 from downtown. Without his contribution we would have blown them out. So good showing.

Our remaining games are all definite winnables, especially if we can get a few minutes out of LeBron before the playoffs.

Great win last night, AD now looks near 100% healthy. If LeBron can even be 80% of himself, we can still make a run. As of now it still looks like we will be in the playin tournament. We need help to move back into that 6th seed, Blazers need to lose at least a couple of games.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Mon May 10, 2021 11:06 am

3Peatkb24 wrote:
lakerevolution wrote:12 apiece from Trez and Ben (who is doing some pretty fine shooting!), 17 apiece from Alex and KCP (who only shot 3-pointers all night but went 4 of 9!) and of course an unstoppable monster night for AD. Both teams made 39 total buckets (we shot 7 more than them), and Phoenix actually shot a better %, but we grossly out-rebounded them and got the rest of our points from the FT line thanks to lots of fouling by Chris Paul, DeAndre Ayton and Frank Kaminsky. Good defensive showing except on Cameron Payne, who's averaging 7.7 points a game this season but exploded for 24 tonight on 9-for-10 including 4-of-5 from downtown. Without his contribution we would have blown them out. So good showing.

Our remaining games are all definite winnables, especially if we can get a few minutes out of LeBron before the playoffs.

Great win last night, AD now looks near 100% healthy. If LeBron can even be 80% of himself, we can still make a run. As of now it still looks like we will be in the playin tournament. We need help to move back into that 6th seed, Blazers need to lose at least a couple of games.

If we can get past the Knicks (SHUT DOWN JULIUS!!!) then the rest of the games should be relatively winnable. WE. NEED. TO. WIN. ALL. OF. THESE.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat May 15, 2021 4:47 pm

Lakers beat Pacers 122-115 for their 4th straight win, LeBron James is back and looked great scoring 24 points, grabbing 7 rebounds, dishing out 8 assists. His partner in crime (AD) scored 28 points. The Lakers and Blazers are both 41-30 battling for that 6th seed and trying to stay out of that dreaded playin tournament. It all comes down to late tomorrow night, the Lakers are at New Orleans and the Blazers host the Nuggets. A Lakers win and a Blazers loss would move the Lakers into 6th in the west. Keep in mind the Nuggets are still playing for something, them and the Clippers are both 47-24 battling for that 3rd seed. The Clippers also play late tomorrow night.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Sat May 15, 2021 5:04 pm

Not a blowout - we were up 111 - 97 until the Pacers went on an 11 - 0 run with 3 min left :eyesamaz: . But our main guys got buckets and everybody says they're ready to rock and roll. I wouldn't mind seeing a one-game play-in against the Warriors, that would be epic and I know we would win.
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Sun May 30, 2021 9:13 am

lakerevolution wrote:Not a blowout - we were up 111 - 97 until the Pacers went on an 11 - 0 run with 3 min left :eyesamaz: . But our main guys got buckets and everybody says they're ready to rock and roll. I wouldn't mind seeing a one-game play-in against the Warriors, that would be epic and I know we would win.

This comment aged well! :waiting: "yellowbowdown:

Just having a meditative moment about the team we have assembled . . as currently constructed :dacount: let's Count :lol: our blessings:

We have Marc Gasol. Pau's big little brother who we brought in not to win practice season games but to lay a body on the bigs we face in the playoffs.

We have Wes Matthews, one of the best 3-and-D guys in the NBA over the last several years.

We have Markeiff Morris, a big with passing and shooting skill who, like Gasol, can bump heads with just about any other PF or C in the game.

We have the most dynamic and explosive little guy in the NBA, a gym rat whose rise to prominence has made him a fan-favorite even outside of L.A. - THE CARUUU-SHOW!! He's a pest on defense and can dunk on you if you lose sight of him.

We have Montrezl Harrell, a bring-your-lunch-pail kind of blue-collar worker whose career has been about banging in the paint and causing havoc.

And we have Andre Drummond, an all-star caliber player whose natural abilities are perfectly suited to allow LeBron James and Anthony Davis to do what they do. A double-double guy who affects the game beyond the stat sheet.

You already know the rest of the squad - a team that, on paper, is clearly the best in the NBA. If we can get our 3s to start falling at anywhere near the NBA average, there is literally no stopping us.
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:42 am

lakerevolution wrote:
lakerevolution wrote:Not a blowout - we were up 111 - 97 until the Pacers went on an 11 - 0 run with 3 min left :eyesamaz: . But our main guys got buckets and everybody says they're ready to rock and roll. I wouldn't mind seeing a one-game play-in against the Warriors, that would be epic and I know we would win.

This one didn't "lol4:

Lakers for life . . the NBA can't live without us.
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:16 am

lakerevolution wrote:
lakerevolution wrote:

This one didn't "lol4:

I see by the lack of comments since we got Kobe'd out of the playoffs that y'all are extremely emotional about how things ended. And I'm right there witcha.

Jordan will still be revered as the best to ever do it because of his Finals resumé, his dunks and his DPOY rankings during his prime . . not to mention the swag he carried as a global icon (bigger than Michael :MJdance: ).

Nevertheless we can't hang our heads or feel cheated or let down by this season's outcome. Had we kept Rondo, Dwight and McGee we still may have suffered the same fate - that's just the way the game goes. We will always be the ONLY NBA team to win a championship during a global pandemic (remember, they used to SUSPEND all sports during trying times including World Wars and other major threats), so the Laker brand is still strong and FOR DAMN SURE we are not going to go another 10 years without a championship. We've been through countless highs and lows over the course of our respective Lakers fanhood and if it has taught us anything, it's that hunger and thirst breed triumph. Let's hope that Jeannie, Rob and the rest of the Laker Family keep their focus sharp and their eyes on the prize.

#MambaOut
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:16 pm

lakerevolution wrote:
lakerevolution wrote:
lakerevolution wrote:

This one didn't "lol4:

I see by the lack of comments since we got Kobe'd out of the playoffs that y'all are extremely emotional about how things ended. And I'm right there witcha.

Jordan will still be revered as the best to ever do it because of his Finals resumé, his dunks and his DPOY rankings during his prime . . not to mention the swag he carried as a global icon (bigger than Michael :MJdance: ).

Nevertheless we can't hang our heads or feel cheated or let down by this season's outcome. Had we kept Rondo, Dwight and McGee we still may have suffered the same fate - that's just the way the game goes. We will always be the ONLY NBA team to win a championship during a global pandemic (remember, they used to SUSPEND all sports during trying times including World Wars and other major threats), so the Laker brand is still strong and FOR DAMN SURE we are not going to go another 10 years without a championship. We've been through countless highs and lows over the course of our respective Lakers fanhood and if it has taught us anything, it's that hunger and thirst breed triumph. Let's hope that Jeannie, Rob and the rest of the Laker Family keep their focus sharp and their eyes on the prize.

#MambaOut

I am ok with the outcome of the season mainly because the main reason is there to why we lost. We weren't healthy. Had we been at 100% and lost I would've been in shock and probably would've took a week or so off from here. No way the Suns beat us if AD is at 100%, we were up 2-1 with him healthy. LeBron clearly wasn't at 100% either but 80% of him is better than most. We should be good again next year (a playoff team at worse) but age could be catching up with LeBron, father time is undefeated. It is tough to repeat, many teams in most sports don't, we didn't so at least we will get a lot of rest and be ready for 2022.

IMO, at least as of now I don't think anyone will be better than Michael Jordan was. He and Magic are still #1 and #2, JMO. Their resumes alone speak for themselves:
Jordan = 6 Championships, 6-0 in Finals, 6 Finals MVP's, 5 League MVP's

Magic = 5 Championships, 5-4 in Finals meaning he played in 9 Finals in 12 seasons - his career got cut short otherwise it would've been even more impressive, 3 Finals MVP's, 3 League MVP's. Magic won Finals MVP as a rookie something Jordan or LeBron wasn't even close to doing.

LeBron, Kobe, and Bird all have fantastic resumes and are in this convo regarding floor players but by my eye test Jordan and Magic reign at the top.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:02 pm

Well, this post died a cruel death :waaaaa:

Here's some Laker news that might fly under the radar but could have implications for the franchise's future:

LOS ANGELES -- Philip Anschutz has agreed to sell his 27% stake in the Los Angeles Lakers, according to a published report.

Citing unidentified sources, the Los Angeles Times reported Saturday that the 81-year-old billionaire is selling his stake to Mark Walter and Todd Boehly, two of the Dodgers' owners.
Walter and Boehly are among the owners of the WNBA's Los Angeles Sparks. It said that Walter's and Boehly's stake in the Lakers would be worth $1.35 billion, making them the largest minority ownership of the team. The Lakers are owned by the family of the late Jerry Buss.

Anschutz also owns the NHL's Los Angeles Kings and the LA Galaxy of Major League Soccer. His Anschutz Entertainment Group owns sports teams, events and venues, as well as entertainment venues. He owns a stake in Staples Center, home to the Lakers, Kings and Clippers. The Lakers recently extended their lease with the arena in downtown LA.

The sale needs approval from the NBA's Board of Governors.
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:55 am

Robert Allen McAdoo

Born September 25, 1951. . professional basketball player and coach. Listed as a Power Forward/Center. Drafted 2nd overall in 1972. He played 14 seasons in the National Basketball Association, where he was a five-time NBA All-Star and named the NBA Most Valuable Player in 1975. Held the NBA scoring title for three straight years (1974-1976). He won two NBA championships with the Los Angeles Lakers during their Showtime era in the 1980s. In 2000, McAdoo was inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame. He went on to star for Italy in the European League, winning back-to-back titles in 1987-1988. He served as an assistant coach for the Miami Heat from 1995 to 2014.

McAdoo was raised in Greensboro, North Carolina. His mother, Vandalia, taught at his grade school, and his father, Robert, was a custodian at North Carolina A&T University. McAdoo attended Ben L. Smith High School, where he not only participated in basketball and track but was also in the marching band as a saxophone player. As a senior, he led Smith to the state basketball semifinals as well as to the state track tournament, where he set a new state high-jump record of 6'7", besting his college roommate Bobby Jones (who would go on to win an NBA championship with the 1983 Philadelphia 76ers). Division I schools denied McAdoo because he "lacked the academic test scores", so he enrolled at Vincennes Junior College in Indiana in 1971, but quickly caught the eye of North Carolina Tarheels coach Dean Smith.

"We didn't really recruit him," Coach Dean Smith of North Carolina said. "His mother called us to start it. She said all the other schools were recruiting him. Why weren't we?" :waaaaa:

McAdoo enrolled at the University of North Carolina in 1971, the only junior college player Dean Smith recruited in his entire career. McAdoo, playing alongside Bobby Jones, led the 1971–72 Tar Heels to a 26–5 record and the Final Four of the 1972 NCAA University Division Basketball Tournament. McAdoo averaged 19.5 points and 10.1 rebounds and was named first-team All-American. He also earned MVP honors at the ACC Tournament.

Citing family hardship, McAdoo sought and won early eligibility for the 1972 NBA draft under the "hardship" clause that existed until 1977. McAdoo consulted with Coach Dean Smith, who encouraged him to go to the NBA.

McAdoo said, "When I left, a lot of people were very angry and upset. But Dean gave me his blessing. He told me, ‘If they’re going to offer you this kind of money, I think you should leave to help you and your family.’ I had his blessing. My mother was totally against it,” McAdoo added, “but my father and Dean Smith were the guys who got me to move.”

McAdoo sought and won early eligibility in the 1972 NBA draft, however it was rumored that McAdoo had signed with the Virginia Squires of the rival American Basketball Association after a "secret" ABA draft in which names of those drafted were not made public. Even though no contract was produced and McAdoo denied it, reportedly, NBA Commissioner Walter Kennedy advised NBA teams not to draft McAdoo. Other reports were that a contract was signed and voided, because McAdoo was too young to have signed it and that Buffalo somehow knew this.
Later, McAdoo was indeed noted as the No. 1 pick of the 1972 American Basketball Association Draft.

Buffalo acted anyway, and McAdoo was selected with the No. 2 overall pick by the Buffalo Braves (now the Los Angeles Clippers), after rumors that contract talks between the Portland Trail Blazers and McAdoo didn't come to fruition with the first pick. LaRue Martin was selected by Portland. McAdoo signed with the Braves and quickly became one of the NBA's premier players. He won the 1973 NBA Rookie of the Year Award and was named to the NBA All-Rookie First Team. He earned the first of three consecutive NBA scoring titles in only his second season.

McAdoo was frustrated with Buffalo's losing in his rookie season, saying, "Here I was sitting at Buffalo, we were on the way to losing 61 games and we didn't have any players. My wife could have outrun those people." His second season (1973–74) remains the last time an NBA player has averaged both 30.0 points and 15.0 rebounds per game. McAdoo also led the NBA in field goal percentage in 1973–74, shooting 54.7 percent. That year he enjoyed his first of five All-Star selections.

In 1974–75, he was awarded the NBA Most Valuable Player Award, averaging 34.5 points, 14.1 rebounds and 2.12 blocks per game, while shooting 51.2 percent from the field and 80.5 percent from the free throw line. He also led the league in fan voting for the 1975 All-Star Game with 98,325 votes. McAdoo's style was very modern for his time. Although a 'big man' at 6 ft 9, he had no problems taking shots from the perimeter, which, in his prime, made him a nearly unstoppable force on offense.

On December 24, 1981, McAdoo was traded by the New Jersey Nets to the Los Angeles Lakers for a 1983 2nd round draft pick (Kevin Williams was later selected). McAdoo had not played for the Nets in the 1981–82 season and Mitch Kupchak had become injured for the Lakers.

"As the 1981–82 season began, I was in the middle of a contract dispute with the New Jersey Nets. However, I couldn’t even play since I was still recovering from off-season surgery to have bone spurs removed from my foot. There were times, standing around on crutches for months, when I thought my career was over." McAdoo reflected, "But I got a call from the Lakers on Christmas Eve. They had just lost a key player, Mitch Kupchak, who blew out his knee. In the short term, they were hoping I could fill his void coming off the bench. In the long term, I think they were hoping I could help the team get headed in the right direction."

McAdoo had a memorable end to his NBA career, winning two NBA titles with the Los Angeles Lakers in 1982 and 1985 as a key reserve on the Showtime-era teams with Hall of Famers Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and James Worthy. The former MVP was silently frustrated with not starting behind players such as Jim Brewer, Mark Landsberger, and Kurt Rambis, but sacrificed to be part of championship teams.

“That championship is the one thing I don’t have I’ll do whatever I need to get it.” McAdoo said in playing with the Lakers in 1982.

In 1981–82, the Lakers won the 1982 NBA Championship, as Pat Riley had taken over coaching from Paul Westhead. Riley and McAdoo thus began a professional relationship that continued for decades. In 41 games with the Lakers, McAdoo averaged 9.6 points and 3.9 rebounds in 18.2 minutes in the regular season. In the 1982 NBA Finals, McAdoo averaged 16.3 points in 27 minutes as the Lakers defeated the Philadelphia 76ers 4–2. In the entire playoffs, McAdoo averaged 16.7 points and 6.8 rebounds.

McAdoo resigned with the Lakers for the 1982–83 season, declining a more lucrative offer from the Philadelphia 76ers in order to remain with the Lakers.

Averaging 15.0 points in 1982-1983 and 13.1 points in 1983–84 for the Lakers in the next two seasons, the team finished 58–24 and 54–28. McAdoo played with a severely injured hamstring in the 1983 playoffs. "If we could have had Mac (McAdoo) healthy, we might have had a shot," coach Riley said after the 1983 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers in the NBA Finals.

McAdoo averaged 12.5 points and 5.5 rebounds as the Lakers lost 4–3 to the Boston Celtics in the 1984 NBA Finals.

McAdoo helped the Lakers to another NBA Championship in 1984–85, defeating Boston 4–2 in the NBA Finals. McAdoo was the 6th man, averaging 8.2 points and 3.0 rebounds in the 1985 NBA Finals and 11.4 points in the entire playoffs.

After the season, the Lakers did not re-sign McAdoo, instead offering a contract to veteran Maurice Lucas for the 6th man role.

“It was a great opportunity for me to play with Kareem and Magic,” McAdoo said of his tenure with the Lakers. “For the first time in my career, I had a chance to win a championship. But I had no thoughts at all in my mind about coming off the bench. It just happened. To me it was a wrap I would start. They didn’t have anyone who could stick with me at that position, but I dealt with it because I had never been on a championship team. And I’ve never been one to cause disruption or anything like that.”
lakerevolution

Previous

Return to LakerTalk