2019-20 Los Angeles Lakers Second Trimester Grades

2019-20 Los Angeles Lakers Second Trimester Grades

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:20 pm

After the blistering 24-3 start out of the blocks this season, the second trimester proceeded to commence with a disturbing 4 game losing streak and, more recently before the current 4 game winning streak, we hit a pre-ASG week 5-5 stretch between January 15th and February 6th during these NBA dog days when all kinds of weird shit happens. Elinate those two stretches and we were 13-0! :cheers: :snapout:

OK, so we were overall 18-9 with AD out a few games where we saw Kuzma flourish a bit, albeit inconsistently. That translates to a 55 win season, which we all would have creamed in our pants for before the season, but because we are spoiled again with Showtime-like excitement and the expectation of winning every game, somehow seemed less satisfying than the record indicates. This season will be how we finish. Strike that. It's all about the playoffs again, baby!!!

Without going into my normally exhaustive breakdown, Kobe's tragic and still utterly shocking death gave birth to LeBron James truly being a Laker. He has been nothing short of spectacular! Anthony Davis and Kawhi Leonard are mano y mano the best player in the Western Conference, right up there with the Greek Freak. The growth of Alex Caruso, the improvement and confidence of Avery Bradley, the steadiness of Danny Green (IMO), KCP (3rd best player on the team this season), Dwight Howard and JaVale McGee are all encouraging signs as the team continued to establish and fine tune its identity. I think we all know the two concerns - Kuzma and Rondo. When they play their best, they make us smile, but the inconsistency of those two is bothersome. The end of the benchers have been great team guys all season and I'm thrilled they are on this team!

Rob Pelinka is the runaway Exec of the Year and deserves a shitload of credit! Even with the death of his best friend, he managed to be patient and grabbed Markieff Morris off of the scrap heap. Expect sold returns from this Morris twin now that he will be reunited with his better half in LA, albeit Markieff was the better player in college and early in their careers. This acquisition might get Kuzma to focus and improve his game, who knows. Frank Vogel and his staff have been brilliant IMO. The front office and coaching staff are solid A's all season!

Overall Grade: a solid B

Go Lakers!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: 2019-20 Los Angeles Lakers Second Trimester Grades

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:26 pm

Just to disagree with you, I will go B+ :roflmao: , good post Kenny.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:34 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:Just to disagree with you, I will go B+ :roflmao: , good post Kenny.

I was going to go B+, but I decided to go full greedy Lakers fan on you guys as the result of the lack of focus during two different stretches!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:41 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:Just to disagree with you, I will go B+ :roflmao: , good post Kenny.

I was going to go B+, but I decided to go full greedy Lakers fan on you guys as the result of the lack of focus during two different stretches!

Yeah I was just messing with you, B is very good grade. We lost a couple in this 2nd trimester actually we should've won. I love that Denver win at Denver though.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:47 pm

This championship run could come down to coaching in the end. Do you guys think Vogel can match Doc Rivers, or someone like Budenholzer (Bucks) and Stevens (Celtics) when it counts? Vogel has always been good, he was with the Pacers but not sure he is very good or great?
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:07 pm

I haven't given my 27-28-27 takes in this forum, but later tonight I will as I settle in to watch the replay of Kobe and Gigi's memorial. I cried again today, and will tonight. It's a good cry.

:LOBtrophy:
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:00 pm

Current odds to win the NBA Championship:

Lakers 2-1
Bucks 11-4
Clippers 13-4
Rockets 15-1
76ers 18-1
Celtics 18-1
Nuggets 18-1
Raptors 18-1

Kobe just may have made the ultimate sacrifice to ensure that a world suddenly in sympathetic love with our Laker Nation spiritually propels our squad all the way to a fated 17th title. It's going to be awfully tough for opposing teams to come into Staples now and feel like they have any kind of chance to whup us over a 7-game series.

Grades.

He had a summer to finally rest. He started off with a bang. His multiple triple-doubles and tremendously consistent passing game have propelled us to the top of what is still the better conference in the league. He's not showing signs of being slowed down, and his game has expanded way past his crab-dribble and bull-rush days. He does get into turnover-prone bouts, but he's forged himself into a Jordan-type of player while taking Kobe's team - and now legacy - upon his broad shoulders. He wants more titles, and no matter what we do this season, Pelinka is going to add more ballers to make us far and away the best team in the NBA. Back to back is the mission.

LeBron: A

Coming off an injury, and with a significant target on his back, he's been as smooth as a baby's butt on both ends of the floor while at the same time showing his toughness and Dirk-like range from 3. He's been basically everything Vogel could ask for, and the perfect second star for LeBron. He's a great guy, an intelligent player and hopefully a Laker for the rest of his career.

Anthony: A

After he was retained in the multi-player AD trade, we all expected Kuzma to bloom like Klay 2.0 this season. He certainly has perfected how to dress funny and change hairstyles every few weeks - possibly a sign that he's confused internally. He's had maybe two or three acceptably good games this year and the rest of the time he's been like a ghost. He's supposed to be better than this. I don't know if our Front Office has already seen enough and will move him in the summer, or if he'll *poof* and become an x-factor in the playoffs. Either way, he's not only underperformed but he's cost himself both future money and the faith of many Laker fans.

Kyle: C- and see me after class

He's the veteran we figured we needed. Coming off of a championship with The Klaw. A Popovich disciple. But a one-dimensional player nonetheless. 8+ points per game. 42% from the field, 37% from downtown. A presence on defense, maybe. Vogel holds the key to the rotations and players like him have to thrive with the minutes they're given. He's been a solid guy, and honestly the playoffs are what he's here for.

Danny: B-

. . . OK let me rifle through the rest:

JaVale: B+. Always there when needed and a savvy veteran who's seen a ton of games. He plays hungry and loves to throw block parties. A guy who has come to bleed Purple and Gold and will definitely thrive in the playoffs.

Dwight: A. He's accepted his role and is the Metta World Peace we need to take out Greek Freaks and other wanna-be playoff paint warriors. With Kobe gone, he's even more endeared to us now based on his unselfish contributions.

Avery: B-. Another veteran. Another playoff asset for his defensive prowess. His best years were with Boston and then his brief stint with the Paperclips was obviously mismanaged. He can score, he can cover the field, he can be his best 6' 2" self but unless he mimics Derek Fisher he may be a non-factor.

Rajon: B Kenny is frustrated with this guy but for him to play in a Laker jersey every night shows his love for Kobe and the greatness we're trying to achieve. He still has the magic hand and a veteran's mind and hey he can hit late threes in the Finals :waaaaa: plus he and AD have history. Maybe he's gone next year but right now he's still got a little Harry Potter in him.

Alex!!!!! A+

Kentavious: B. Well, he should have panned out for us but again he's in Vogel's system. His PPG has suffered, though his FG% has risen slightly in the last three years. He has heart, and like Kuz he's been here since the last Kobe days, but this college star hasn't shot his load quite yet. We love his heart, though.

Dudley and the rest are just here so they don't get fined.

Vogel: A+. He's returned from the fringes of the league and suddenly become the very coach we needed. His assistants are impeccable and the mind-meld between them and the key assets of the team has resulted in a title contender. He's the straw stirring the drink and Laker Nation is thirsty

#MAMBA OUT :salute:
Last edited by lakerevolution on Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:55 am

lakerevolution wrote:Current odds to win the NBA Championship:

Lakers 2-1
Bucks 11-4
Clippers 13-4
Rockets 15-1
76ers 18-1
Celtics 18-1
Nuggets 18-1
Raptors 18-1

Kobe just may have made the ultimate sacrifice to ensure that a world suddenly in sympathetic love with our Laker Nation spiritually propels our squad all the way to a fated 17th title. It's going to be awfully tough for opposing teams to come into Staples now and feel like they have any kind of chance to whup us over a 7-game series.

Grades.

He had a summer to finally rest. He started off with a bang. His multiple triple-doubles and tremendously consistent passing game have propelled us to the top of what is still the better conference in the league. He's not showing signs of being slowed down, and his game has expanded way past his crab-dribble and bull-rush days. He does get into turnover-prone bouts, but he's forged himself into a Jordan-type of player while taking Kobe's team - and now legacy - upon his broad shoulders. He wants more titles, and no matter what we do this season, Pelinka is going to add more ballers to make us far and away the best team in the NBA. Back to back is the mission.

LeBron: A

Coming off an injury, and with a significant target on his back, he's been as smooth as a baby's butt on both ends of the floor while at the same time showing his toughness and Dirk-like range from 3. He's been basically everything Vogel could ask for, and the perfect second star for LeBron. He's a great guy, an intelligent player and hopefully a Laker for the rest of his career.

Anthony: A

After he was retained in the multi-player AD trade, we all expected Kuzma to bloom like Klay 2.0 this season. He certainly has perfected how to dress funny and change hairstyles every few weeks - possibly a sign that he's confused internally. He's had maybe two or three acceptably good games this year and the rest of the time he's been like a ghost. He's supposed to be better than this. I don't know if our Front Office has already seen enough and will move him in the summer, or if he'll *poof* and become an x-factor in the playoffs. Either way, he's not only underperformed but he's cost himself both future money and the faith of many Laker fans.

Kyle: C- and see me after class

He's the veteran we figured we needed. Coming off of a championship with The Klaw. A Popovich disciple. But a one-dimensional player nonetheless. 8+ points per game. 42% from the field, 37% from downtown. A presence on defense, maybe. Vogel holds the key to the rotations and players like him have to thrive with the minutes they're given. He's been a solid guy, and honestly the playoffs are what he's here for.

Danny: B-

. . . OK let me rifle through the rest:

Dwight: A. He's accepted his role and is the Metta World Peace we need to take out Greek Freaks and other wanna-be playoff paint warriors. With Kobe gone, he's even more endeared to us now based on his unselfish contributions.

Avery: B-. Another veteran. Another playoff asset for his defensive prowess. His best years were with Boston and then his brief stint with the Paperclips was obviously mismanaged. He can score, he can cover the field, he can be his best 6' 2" self but unless he mimics Derek Fisher he may be a non-factor.

Rajon: B Kenny is frustrated with this guy but for him to play in a Laker jersey every night shows his love for Kobe and the greatness we're trying to achieve. He still has the magic hand and a veteran's mind and hey he can hit late threes in the Finals :waaaaa: plus he and AD have history. Maybe he's gone next year but right now he's still got a little Harry Potter in him.

Alex!!!!! A+

Kentavious: B. Well, he should have panned out for us but again he's in Vogel's system. His PPG has suffered, though his FG% has risen slightly in the last three years. He has heart, and like Kuz he's been here since the last Kobe days, but this college star hasn't shot his load quite yet. We love his heart, though.

Dudley and the rest are just here so they don't get fined.

Vogel: A+. He's returned from the fringes of the league and suddenly become the very coach we needed. His assistants are impeccable and the mind-meld between them and the key assets of the team has resulted in a title contender. He's the straw stirring the drink and Laker Nation is thirsty

#MAMBA OUT :salute:

You pretty much hit a HR here Cody Bellinger style :rthup: . Tough for me to add to any of this. You forgot McGee who I would give a B- too. I think the only thing is that you are a little tough on Kuzma. You gave him a C-, I would go C+ which still isn't real impressive (he has had his struggles I agree) but he has had his good moments at times. Overall, great post Rev.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:23 am

Fixed. Got tired and forgot to put McGee! :roll:
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:28 am

lakerevolution wrote:Fixed. Got tired and forgot to put McGee! :roll:

:roflmao: No biggy Rev, your post was great as I posted and I gave you a LIKE for it. I just wanted to add McGee since he plays a lot.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:56 am

Great post, Rev. Rondo's grade fluctuates game to game, so it can't be a B. Inconsistency is what hurts him and Kuz, who should be a D. KCP has been our third best and third most consistent, hard working player all season, truly entering his prime. He's a A for me. Avery Bradley has caught fire this semester, so he's also an A for me. Frankly, forgetting Rondo for a moment, the defense on the edge with KCP, Bradley, Green and the Great Caruso is extremely encouraging. This is one tough mptherfucking group of dudes on the defensive end!
KobeMVP888

Return to LakerTalk