Game 53: 02/12/20 Lakers at Nuggets GAME THREAD

Game 53: 02/12/20 Lakers at Nuggets GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:12 am

(40-12) LAKERS AT NUGGETS (38-16)

Wednesday, February 12, 2020, 7:00 PM PDT
Pepsi Center • Denver, CO

Referees: James Capers (#19), Mark Ayotte (#56), Ray Acosta (#54)

Replay Center: Kane Fitzgerald, Brian Forte, Jacyn Goble, Aaron Smith, Ben Taylor

Line: Lakers -1

National TV: ESPN
Local TV: Spectrum SportsNet

GAME PREVIEW: LAKERS AT NUGGETS

by NBA.com

There was plenty of movement around the NBA at the trade deadline, but the Los Angeles Lakers stood pat.

The Western Conference leaders didn't make a deal, preferring to go with the roster they have. The Denver Nuggets, meanwhile, made a couple of deals and are still working their new players into the rotation.

They may get more action when Denver plays host to Los Angeles on Wednesday night in a battle of two of the top teams in the West.

It is the third of four meetings between the teams, with each one grabbing a road win in the first two games. Denver routed the Lakers 128-104 on Dec. 22 when LeBron James sat out his first game of the season.

"It's tough when he's out, but we still got to find ways to win," Anthony Davis said after that game. "We lost our energy defensively. We got to continue to defend, and once we get that edge back, we'll be fine."

Three weeks earlier, L.A. had a statement win on the Nuggets' court, taking a 105-96 decision on Dec. 3.

The Lakers come into Wednesday's matchup relatively healthy, while Denver is still battling injuries. Mason Plumlee (right foot), Michael Porter Jr. (right ankle) and Will Barton (right knee inflammation) have missed multiple games.

Plumlee won't return until after the All-Star break, and it's likely the Nuggets hold out Porter and Barton as well, although both are close to a return. Wednesday is the last game before the NBA All-Star weekend for each, and the nine days off will let Denver work on better health.

The Nuggets still have plenty of firepower to go against James, Davis and the rest of the Lakers' roster. Guard Jamal Murray gutted through a sore left ankle, and bumps and bruises, to help Denver rally from 23 down to beat San Antonio on Monday night.

Paul Millsap, who missed 15 games with a left knee contusion, sparked the rally with 22 points, 16 after halftime in the second game of his return.

Denver has won four consecutive games and six of its last seven games, including sweeps in a pair of back-to-back sets, despite dealing with a short bench.

"The last couple of games were really tough, but the team was there," center Nikola Jokic said after Monday's win. "We play for each other, we fight for each other, and that's how we get those wins."

The Nuggets will have to find a way to stop Davis, who had 25 points and 10 rebounds in the Dec. 3 win in Denver. Plumlee would have helped, but getting Millsap back, one of their best low-post defenders, could help contain the Lakers' inside game. New additions at the trade deadline include Keita Bates-Diop, Jordan McRae and Noah Vonleh.

For the Lakers, the challenge is to remain focused before the break. The stretch run begins in late February, and it has been somewhat of a slog over the last six weeks.

"This little stretch from New Year's to [the] All-Star break is kind of the dog days of the NBA season, and you have to fight monotony on a daily basis," L.A. coach Frank Vogel said before his team beat Phoenix on Monday night, its fourth win in the last five games.

https://www.nba.com/games/20200212/LALDEN#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 53: 02/12/20 Lakers at Nuggets GAME THREAD

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:38 pm

We need this win. The outcome will carry over to the start of the second half. These Western teams that have been lying in wait, watching us retain the conference's best record, are now positioning themselves for the stretch run. We need to call on all of our Laker ancestors for spiritual strength. :grouphug:
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:49 pm

GREAT win!!!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:57 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:GREAT win!!!

Yeah it was, great win in a tough environment. 120-116 Lakers defeat the Nuggets at Denver in OT. Anthony Davis scores 33, LeBron James scores 32 while grabbing 12 Rebounds and dishing out 14 Assists. Our Big2 came up huge. Dwight Howard also chipped in with 14 Points and grabbed 11 Rebounds.

What this win does is really separate the Lakers in the West from the pack now heading into the all-star break. The Lakers move to 41-12, while the Nuggets now fall to 38-17, the Clippers are at 37-17 and play a game tomorrow. The Lakers are 5 games ahead of both teams in the loss column! HCA in the West is on lock down as of now and as a team we are healthy which is critical with rest coming on top of it. Only team with a better record than us in the league is the Bucks at 46-8. If we play them, it wouldn't be until the NBA Finals.

Heading into the all-star break I have no complaints at all. Tonight's win shows me we can beat anyone anywhere.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:19 am

The signature victory I was looking for. LeBron showed his team, the opposition and the entire NBA that he's still the biggest threat in professional basketball.

Rest in peace Gigi.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:43 am

lakerevolution wrote:The signature victory I was looking for. LeBron showed his team, the opposition and the entire NBA that he's still the biggest threat in professional basketball.

Rest in peace Gigi.

I figured out the final piece: with Frank Vogel coaching us and Paul George as Arch Enemy #2, bring back Make 'em Dance, Lance from China! If they think Patrick Beverly is a nuisance, how's about a little one upsmanship?
KobeMVP888

Postby Nycitylaker » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:05 am

First of all great psychological win. One of the best feel good wins thus far this season. Going into Denver who had a 4(?) game winning streak and stealing a dub has to inspire the squad going into the AS break

Having said that, the Nuggets were frankly short handed. Joker looked gassed. I still predicted a loss especially after the first 10 minutes. I was sure we’d give em 20 points.

LBJ is back to MVP status (not sure he was ever NOT in the convo) and AD had the quietest 30+ pt game.

The refs suck. Horribly inconsistent to both squads.

KCP is clutch.

Kuz is not clutch

Dwight showed his worth.....again. No dis to Javel who had an off night. Which leads me to final thoughts......

Wtf was Vogel watching last night. I repeat, last night. He’s done an overall great coaching job to this point no doubt buuuuuuuuut......Dwight was clearly controlling Joker. Out muscling their bigs. Had the quicker step of our two headed center but Vogel seemed to play to his premeditated game plan. Speaking of premeditated, LESS RONDO AND MORE CARUSO PLEASE! I get that it’s political and Rondo has the backing of LBJ, AD and Cousins but damn. Forget the season so far but last night was a clear net positive for Caruso yet he went back to Rondo in the 3rd q when it was clear he wasn’t having a great game. It was the only time I yelled at the tv was when he opted for Rondo when it should have been Caruso.

LFGL
Nycitylaker

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:05 pm

Kuz is by far the biggest disappointment this season. Maybe he'll heat up in the playoffs. We need him to get to the next level.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:31 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Kuz is by far the biggest disappointment this season. Maybe he'll heat up in the playoffs. We need him to get to the next level.

Sign Make 'em Dance Lance and show Kuz the pine.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:28 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:
lakerevolution wrote:Kuz is by far the biggest disappointment this season. Maybe he'll heat up in the playoffs. We need him to get to the next level.

Sign Make 'em Dance Lance and show Kuz the pine.

I would be for it but I have always liked Lance. He would bring a spark to the team at times. I am surprised no NBA team has picked him up. I thought for sure the Pacers if anyone would bring him back again.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk