Game 42: 01/18/20 Lakers at Rockets GAME THREAD

Game 42: 01/18/20 Lakers at Rockets GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:11 am

(33-8) LAKERS AT ROCKETS (26-14)

Saturday, January 18, 2020, 5:30 PM PDT
American Airlines Center • Dallas, TX

Referees: Zach Zarba (#15), Tony Brown (#6), Matt Boland (#18)

Replay Center: Curtis Blair, Derrick Collins, Courtney Kirkland, Jonathan Sterling

Line: Rockets -1.5

National TV only: ABC

GAME PREVIEW: LAKERS AT MAVERICKS

by NBA.com

The Los Angeles Lakers' record against teams with losing marks this season before Wednesday was both noteworthy and improbable. It stood as both a testament to their collective professionalism and a representation of a statistical anomaly likely destined for a run-in with mean regression.

In falling 119-118 to the Orlando Magic, who entered Staples Center two games under .500, the Lakers dropped to 22-1 against sub-.500 teams. They were again short-handed, playing without Anthony Davis (glutes) and Rajon Rondo (finger) before losing Alex Caruso to a concussion.

When the Lakers visit the Houston Rockets on Saturday at Toyota Center, odds are good L.A.'s roster will not be whole. Given their previous efforts, who is and who isn't available won't impact how the Lakers approach an opponent expected to be on par come the postseason.

"We don't pay attention to records," Lakers forward LeBron James said. "We're all NBA players, regardless of the record. And you have to go out to compete and to win, no matter what the record is. We respect every opponent and that's what it's all about."

The Lakers own the best record in the Western Conference despite their injury woes. Although James produced a 19-point, 19-assist effort against the Magic, it was the bench brigade paced by Quinn Cook (22 points), Troy Daniels and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (17 points apiece) that kept the Lakers in contention.

Cook and Daniels are typically spectators when the Lakers are at full strength, but even in defeat, the L.A. showed the potency of what it has in reserve.

"I have a lot of confidence in those guys, and quite frankly, this doesn't really change that," Lakers coach Frank Vogel said. "It doesn't really change anything for me, it just reaffirms the confidence I have in those guys."

Conversely, the Rockets offered another uninspired display against the Portland Trail Blazers on Wednesday, falling 117-107 at home to lose both games of a back-to-back for the first time this season. Houston has dropped three of its last four games.

When asked why his team appears so discombobulated on occasion, particularly defensively, Rockets coach Mike D'Antoni struggled to muster the words to fashion a legitimate excuse.

"I was trying to spin it some way but I couldn't do it with a straight face," D'Antoni said. "It's concerning but the focus to me is not on getting it right, the focus is more looking at the back of the jerseys instead of the front of them. We just need to get over it and we will. We'll get back.

"Right now we're shaky, but we have veterans that will right the ship."

One of those veterans, James Harden, made clear that the Rockets are having ongoing dialogue related to fixing what ails them. There is an underlying assuredness that Houston will indeed get the wheels back on the track, but it isn't folly to describe their current state as vulnerable.

"We've got to figure our way through it," Harden said. "It's a tough one but it doesn't get any easier for us. We've got some tough opponents coming up and we've got to figure our way through it.

"We will. I think everyone goes through tough times throughout the course of the year. For us, this is now. We've got to come together and figure out what the problem is and go out there and try to fight through it."

https://www.nba.com/games/20200118/LALHOU#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 42: 01/18/20 Lakers at Rockets GAME THREAD

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:29 pm

Halfway through, we haven't even lost 10 games yet - and those losses include an unnecessarily-long 4-game streak and two other winnables we just didn't have our A-game for. Until the All-Star Break, health and getting our bench more quality minutes should be the modus operandi.
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:52 pm

Frustratingly sub-par game for Bron and the squad so far, but only down 6 at the half. Hopefully the Rockets cool off but I think Vogel's going to have to mastermind some better x's and o's on both ends to give Houston some problems. Ground control to Major Frank.
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:12 pm

It was the Kuz, Green and Kentavious show tonight, as the Rockets wore down. Everybody's engaged, though -- there isn't a guy on our team that can be ignored from the perimeter or paint. Nice win. These victories vs. our West foes are slowly erasing the torment of those past few years getting wiped out by everybody.

Next Up!!!
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:20 am

Good win against a good team in a hostile environment. Of course Harden shoots 18 FT's and scores 34, Westbrook added 35 but we still won. I am not sure why many Lakers fans want to trade Kyle Kuzma? Outside of our site I have read where many Lakers fans keep wanting to trade him. Makes no sense to me, to me he is the perfect 3rd wheel to LeBron and AD. He had another good game tonight. I wouldn't screw with this teams chemistry at all. Lakers are now 34-8 on the season.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby Julius Russell » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:46 pm

What a win. This team has the depth they say we lack. But I wouldn’t mind Iggy or Collison or both
Julius Russell

Return to LakerTalk