Game 32: 12/28/19 Lakers at Trail Blazers GAME THREAD

Game 32: 12/28/19 Lakers at Trail Blazers GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:58 am

(24-7) LAKERS AT TRAIL BLAZERS (14-18)

Saturday, December 28, 2019, 7:00 PM PDT
Moda Center • Portland, OR

Referees: Pat Fraher (#26), James Williams (#60), Matt Myers (#43)

Replay Center: Ray Acosta, Nate Green, Nate Green, Ed Malloy, Leroy Richardson, Zach Zarba

Line: Lakers -3.5

National TV: NBA League Pass only
Local TV: Spectrum SportsNet

GAME PREVIEW: LAKERS AT TRAIL BLAZERS

The Los Angeles Lakers have lost a season-worst four straight games and now will likely have to wait until game time to determine whether LeBron James will be able to play when they visit the host Portland Trail Blazers on Saturday night.

James aggravated a groin injury during the Lakers' 111-106 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers on Christmas Day. He is hoping the two full days without a game will be enough time for the ailment to heal so he can play against the Trail Blazers.

"I'm always around the clock with my body, getting my treatment," James told reporters after the loss to the Clippers. "If I'm feeling great, I'll be in the lineup. If I'm feeling well, I'll be in the lineup."

On Friday, the Lakers called the injury a groin contusion and listed James as questionable. He did travel with the team. James has recently been bothered by the groin injury and a thoracic muscle strain in his back. The latter injury caused him to miss Sunday's 128-104 loss to the Denver Nuggets, the first game he has missed this season.

James' groin was reinjured when he took a knee from Pat Beverley of the Clippers on Wednesday. Beverley became more of a pain later when he blocked James' 3-point attempt with 3.6 seconds left and the Lakers trailing by three points.

James finished with 23 points, 10 assists and nine rebounds but was just 9 of 24 from the field. Power forward Anthony Davis also shot less than 50 percent, making 8 of 17 while scoring 24 points.

Forward Kyle Kuzma scored a team-high 25 points in the loss to the Clippers and he is averaging 20.5 points in two games since returning from an ankle injury.

"This is the Kuz that we envisioned throughout the summer and since I've been here," Los Angeles first-year coach Frank Vogel told reporters. "Someone that can just fill it up. He's working hard on the defensive end, he gives us a long body on that end that plays extremely hard and changes the energy of the group. He was terrific (against the Clippers) and it's good to see him get going."

Both Davis (knee) and Kuzma (ankle) are also banged up, though both are listed as probable for Saturday.

The Trail Blazers have lost back-to-back games after putting together a season-long four-game winning streak.

The first setback was Monday's humbling 102-94 home loss to the New Orleans Pelicans. The second occurred Thursday when Portland fell 121-115 to the host Utah Jazz.

The Blazers trailed by 20 entering the final stanza before scoring 39 points to close the gap.

"It was just a tough game," Portland star point guard Damian Lillard said afterward. "I thought (the Jazz) were the better team, but I was really proud of how we fought. Having adversity in pretty much every quarter, we just kept fighting."

Lillard was back on the mark with his long-range shooting as he connected on 7 of 13 3-point attempts while scoring 34 points and recording eight assists against Utah. Lillard missed all 10 of his 3-pointers against the Pelicans.

Shooting guard CJ McCollum added 25 points for Portland and has scored 20 or more in six straight games. McCollum is averaging 27 points per game during the stretch.

The team's strong finish left Trail Blazers coach Terry Stotts feeling a little bit better about the setback.

"I was really proud of the way we competed in the fourth quarter," Stotts said afterward. "First three quarters were pretty discouraging. Utah did a nice job of moving the ball, making their shots, scoring in the paint. We didn't have a lot answers for them early but we just made some shots and got really competitive defensively and put ourselves in a position to win."

Davis recorded 39 points and James added 31 as the Lakers posted a 136-113 win in Portland on Dec. 6. Los Angeles has won three of the past four meetings after the Trail Blazers won the previous 16.

https://www.nba.com/games/20191228/LALPOR#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 32: 12/28/19 Lakers at Trail Blazers GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:00 am

Brethren, my sincere apologies for failing to post the GAME THREAD on Christmas and. more important, for failing to wish all of you fine gentlemen a Merry Christmas. No excuse, but I have been VERY BUSY and went to the game, which was an incredible regular season battle except the result sucked, of course. We will fix what ails us! Go Lakers!!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:37 pm

We got ourselves off to an unpredictably strong start, and this fall-to-earth was going to happen - especially during our toughest stretch of the season. Time to regroup, catch our breath, settle into our strong rotations and expect the best performances from our healthiest players. Now is the time for Kuzma and our role/bench players to shine and show that they want to stay a championship contender. Minimize mistakes, control the tempo and win all the winnables.

Go Lakers.
lakerevolution

Postby Nycitylaker » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:04 pm

Lakers up 8 through 3q.
Rondo doesn’t suck
Kuz in control
LBJ doesn’t look 100% but still huge
AD injurie scare......anytime he winces

LFGL
Nycitylaker

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:46 pm

The two-headed serpent known as Rond-Ruso combined for 24 points, 7 assists and 6 rebounds in 38 combined minutes, Kuz finally cut that fifth-grade mop off his head and is fully engaged, and Dwight just keeps on getting his near-double-doubles. Still trying to figure out why Green keeps having these terrible shooting nights, but we shot 51.6% from the field so there's your victory right there. Our defense needs a shot in the arm, though.
lakerevolution

Postby Nycitylaker » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:52 pm

AAAAAAAANNNNNNNDDDDDD the Paperclips take an L. Post Lakeshow hangover
Nycitylaker

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:39 am

Nice win over Portland. We needed this because anytime you lose 4 in a row it is good to stop the bleeding. Now 25-7 on the season and still hold the best record in the West so it is all good.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:56 am

3Peatkb24 wrote:Nice win over Portland. We needed this because anytime you lose 4 in a row it is good to stop the bleeding. Now 25-7 on the season and still hold the best record in the West so it is all good.

Championships are not won in December. We are fortinate to have banked all those victories, but we have a long way to go.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:30 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:Nice win over Portland. We needed this because anytime you lose 4 in a row it is good to stop the bleeding. Now 25-7 on the season and still hold the best record in the West so it is all good.

Championships are not won in December. We are fortinate to have banked all those victories, but we have a long way to go.

No doubt my friend. I just hate it when we lose. If anyone would've told me before the season started that we would be 25-7 through 32 games I would take it.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk