Game 17: 11/25/19 Lakers at Spurs GAME THREAD

Game 17: 11/25/19 Lakers at Spurs GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:35 am

(14-2) LAKERS AT SPURS (6-11)

Monday, November 25, 2019, 5:30 PM PDT
AT&T Center • San Antonio, TX

Referees: Eric Lewis (#42), Curtis Blair (#74), Ray Acosta (#54)

Replay Center: Mark Ayotte, Ed Malloy, Natalie Sago, Natalie Sago, Evan Scott, Evan Scott, James Williams

Line: Lakers -4.5

National TV: NBA League Pass only
Local TV: Spectrum SportsNet

GAME PREVIEW: LAKERS AT SPURS

by NBA.com

The San Antonio Spurs head home after a grueling stretch of road games and after breaking an eight-game losing streak to face the Los Angeles Lakers on Monday in the Alamo City.

The hope is that San Antonio's defense traveled back with it from the Big Apple. The Spurs will need it to keep pace with the surging Lakers.

The Spurs (6-11), who had played six of their past seven games away from home, finally broke the longest losing skid in the 23-year Gregg Popovich era with a 111-104 win over New York on Saturday.

For a while, it seemed like San Antonio was to return to victory in style in the Big Apple, leading by as many as 28 points in the first half despite the playing the second night of a road back-to-back. But New York cut the Spurs' lead to seven points with three minutes to go in the fourth quarter, before San Antonio tightened up on defense and hit some late free throws to salt away the game.

It's the second time San Antonio has defeated the Knicks this season; the Spurs are 4-11 against the rest of the league over the first quarter of the campaign.

The Spurs allowed an average of 122.4 points per game in their eight-game swoon.

"We are defensively challenged," Popovich said. "That's a political sort of term for 'we suck.'"

LaMarcus Aldridge and DeMar DeRozan led the way with 23 and 21 points, respectively, as the Spurs righted the ship, at least for one game. San Antonio ended its worst slide since the 1996-97 season and won for the first time since Nov. 7.

"Everyone was definitely unhappy and frustrated, but you've got to change your own fate," Aldridge said. "You've got to find a way, and tonight we played better, played with more of a sense of urgency."

Point guard Dejounte Murray sat out Saturday's game to rest his surgically repaired right knee. He will be back in the lineup on Monday.

The Lakers head to South Texas on the heels of a 109-108 win in Memphis on Saturday in which LeBron James poured in 30 points, including a driving layup with 1:30 left that put Los Angeles on top to stay.

Los Angeles rallied from an eight-point halftime deficit for an 85-84 advantage heading into the fourth quarter

"We're lucky to get out of here with a win," Lakers coach Frank Vogel said. "We're happy to get a W, but certainly we have to play to a higher standard than we played tonight."

Anthony Davis added 22 points, and Rajon Rondo had 14 for Los Angeles, which captured its seventh straight victory. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope scored 12 and Dwight Howard added 10 in the win for the Lakers, who were playing their second game in as many nights but had enough in the tank to outlast the Grizzlies.

"We just kept our composure," James said. "That's what we do. We are a very resilient team."

Los Angeles is an NBA-leading 14-2, its best start since the 2008-09 season. That was a championship year for the Lakers.

San Antonio leads the all-time series with the Lakers 89-83, and owns a 53-34 advantage in games played in the Alamo City. Los Angeles defeated the Spurs 103-96 when the two teams squared off in San Antonio on Nov. 3.

Davis scored a game-high 25 points and James had a triple-double with 21 points, 13 assists and 11 rebounds.

https://www.nba.com/games/20191125/LALSAS#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 17: 11/25/19 Lakers at Spurs GAME THREAD

Postby lakerevolution » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:33 pm

6 minutes left in the game, 13 point lead, LeBron only has one rebound? Dwight has no shot attempts, no assists and one rebound in 18 minutes . . and 5 fouls?

Go Lakers.
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:00 pm

Somewhat of a ho-hum win - a ten point margin so let's give Troy Daniels (11 points, 3-3 from downtown in 15 minutes) the game ball. Spurs are finally trash in the Pop era, they had a helluva run:

"As of 2019, the San Antonio Spurs are tied for the NBA record of 22 consecutive playoff appearances. The Spurs' streak started in the 1998 NBAPlayoffs and is, as of 2019, the longest active playoff streak in any major North American sports league. TheSpurs have won five NBA championships during their streak."
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:33 pm

15-2 now on the season = best record in the league. LeBron 33 points and 14 assists in tonight's 114-104 win over the Spurs. LeBron is playing like a top 5 player of all-time this season so far again, facts are facts. It is so nice to see us being great again and watching the Spurs and Warriors stink it up :roflmao:
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby Julius Russell » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:04 am

LeBron really playing at a high level. Sorta weird to see AD struggle to put up stats , though he did have 6 dimes with no turnovers , 6 offensive boards and 2 blocks and 2 steals. Hope we get Iggy or Crowder to shore up the wing defense. Rob Pelinka put a really good team together. December is a test
Julius Russell

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:57 am

Ho hum. We can use Avery Bradley back. KCP has filled in fantastically, but AB sets the tone for this defense. He throws off opposing teams' sets and allows our bigs to defend the paint. I also believe that now that this wonderful squad KNOWS that it can defend at a high level whenever it wants, they are taking a bit of a breather against these have-nots.

On a somber note, today we celebrate Merry's life. It will be a somber occasion, filled joy, tears and emotions that are certainly unrecognizable to me. It's a good thing that the Lakers are winning, I can tell you that much!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:01 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:Ho hum. We can use Avery Bradley back. KCP has filled in fantastically, but AB sets the tone for this defense. He throws off opposing teams' sets and allows our bigs to defend the paint. I also believe that now that this wonderful squad KNOWS that it can defend at a high level whenever it wants, they are taking a bit of a breather against these have-nots.

On a somber note, today we celebrate Merry's life. It will be a somber occasion, filled joy, tears and emotions that are certainly unrecognizable to me. It's a good thing that the Lakers are winning, I can tell you that much!

Just remember the great moments you 2 had and when you get home have a drink or two and the laughter's you 2 enjoyed. So sorry for your loss Kenny. When my father passed away in March that is what I did. He was only 67 which isn't real old. COPD took his life. Once again my condolences to you and your sons. I hope your sons are taking this ok, losing a mom can be awful. Your sons still have you though and you are a great person.

On a brighter note our Lakers are rolling baby! 15-2 says it all. We are going to win it all IMO. Sports gets my mind off of everything at times, like you said the Lakers winning helps get your mind off of things.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk