Game 14: 11/19/18 Thunder at Lakers GAME THREAD

Game 14: 11/19/18 Thunder at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:13 am

(5-8) THUNDER AT LAKERS (11-2)

Tuesday, November 19, 2019, 7:30 PM PDT
Staples Center • Los Angeles, CA

Referees: Marc Davis (#8), Tre Maddox (#23), JT Orr (#72)

Replay Center: Scott Wall, CJ Washington

Line: Lakers -9.5

National TV: NBATV
Local TV: Spectrum SportsNet

GAME PREVIEW: THUNDER AT LAKERS

by NBA.com

Chris Paul does the second show of a two-night stand in his Los Angeles homecoming when he and the Oklahoma City Thunder change opponents to take on the Lakers on Tuesday night.

Paul returned to L.A. with the Thunder for the first time Monday night and literally nearly stole the show against his old team, the Clippers. His late steal gave Oklahoma City a lead in the final minute, but Paul George walked away the hero in a 90-88 win for the hometown club.

George sank the winning 3-pointer with 25.9 seconds left.

Paul, a five-time All-Star in six seasons with the Clippers from 2011-12 to 2016-17, shared the spotlight with former L.A. teammates Danilo Gallinari and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander on Monday. The latter two were the headliners sent east when the Thunder dealt George to the Clippers in July.

Paul finished with 22 points, Gallinari 14 and Gilgeous-Alexander 11 in the heartbreaking loss on the road against one of the West's top teams.

"We are at a good point," Gallinari noted on the eve of the two-game sequence. "We have a long season ahead of us, and along the way we have a lot of things that we need to work on and get better, so it's just the beginning now."

Paul never played for the Lakers, but they will be forever linked. The then-New Orleans Hornets agreed to send their star to the Lakers in a three-team deal in 2011, only to have then-commissioner David Stern step in and veto the transaction.

Not long thereafter, the Hornets completed a deal with the Clippers for Al-Farouq Aminu, Eric Gordon, Chris Kaman and a first-round pick that turned into Austin Rivers.

Eight years later, the Lakers finally got their superstar from New Orleans, but it turned out to be Anthony Davis. The cost was much higher than what they'd agreed to pay for Paul, as the package for Davis included three players and three first-round picks.

Ten days later, Paul was traded from Houston to Oklahoma City along with four first-round picks for Russell Westbrook.

The Lakers rarely had much luck with the Westbrook-led Thunder, going just 7-21 in the past eight seasons. But that was also before L.A. employed Davis, and mostly before the Lakers had imported LeBron James from Cleveland.

James was out of action with a groin injury when the Thunder beat the Lakers 107-100 in their only Staples Center meeting last season. George (37 points) and Westbrook (triple-double) contributed 51 points, 20 rebounds, 12 assists and six steals to the win.

James is fully healthy for this year's first visit, having recorded five straight double-doubles. He is averaging 28.3 points and 11.7 rebounds in his past three contests.

Paul's return is likely to attract some of L.A.'s rich and famous to courtside seats. James can only hope to be inspired as much as he was Sunday, when Lakers legend Kobe Bryant occupied one of the spots.

"It was fantastic," James said after the game. "Just knowing what he meant to this franchise, to L.A., and for me and my teammates, what it means to be a part of Laker Nation and (the) Laker family, is a beautiful thing.

"For me, I grew up watching, admiring. I was one of the kids that had the chance to come straight out of high school. He did it, so I was just watching him."

Davis has been bothered by a sore shoulder of late, but he nonetheless managed to contribute 17 and 14 points respectively to the Lakers' two most recent wins -- Friday against the Sacramento Kings and Sunday against the Atlanta Hawks.

The Lakers have won four in a row.

The clubs meet again Friday in Oklahoma City in a rare NBA home-and-home sequence.

https://www.nba.com/games/20191119/OKCLAL#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 14: 11/11/18 Thunder at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:21 am

Brethren, my wife Merry died peacefully yesterday surrounded by loved ones. Thank you for being here for me. She is now at peace and so am I, but I am sure I'll have my ups and downs for awhile. She has suffered for years and I have suffered along with her, except that only one of us complained about it and it was not her. Our marriage was a perfect imperfection, sometimes happy, sometimes sad and everything other adjective that describes a normal, turbulent marriage. We never separated, so I am proud to have gone the distance -- more than 34 years. We raised two wonderful, successful sons, both avid Lakers fans. A Purple and Gold Championship parade down Figueroa awaits us and I am sure she will be with me when it happens.

Go Lakers!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 14: 11/19/18 Thunder at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby Nycitylaker » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:02 pm

Kenny, my heart is heavy. I’m proud and inspired by your courage. Your dedication to your wife and boys is to be commended. Do not for a second think we all don’t fully understand the tragedy that you’ve experienced. The Lakeshow is but a spec in life’s journey. But it does pale in comparison to actual love. Love of family. Love of life. I salute you but also your incredible wife. May we all have a scintilla of her strength when/if our own personal stories come across difficulties unforeseen.

Sending you my deepest condolences and a reminder you can always reach out, personally or publicly to me/us. We are one in this world my brother. When one of us hurts, we all hurt.

Your brother in Laker land,

Jesus
Nycitylaker

Postby Moos » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:07 pm

All the best Ken,I’m so sorry for your loss my friend. My condolences go out to you and your entire family.
Moos

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:19 pm

I was fortunate enough to meet Mrs. Marks on one of my L.A. trips to hang with Kenny. Sweet lady . . likely much better than he deserved :waaaaa: but that's beside the point. It goes without saying that we all have your back (those of us who've been TrueFannish enough to hang around after the big ESPN Hollinger's Page split :whackstick: ) and that our shared fanhood is in direct connection to our sense of family, friendship and collective toughness through all the highs :potter: :boozbuds: and lows :fanshithit: :helpsign: of life. We'll see each other very soon and talk about life and Lakerdom. :xmas:
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:58 pm

Sorry for your loss Kenny, my condolences to you and your sons. 34 years is a long time to be with someone. You 2 must've been really in love. Take care my friend.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:44 pm

AD slammed that one home. 104-95 Lakers lead. 5 minutes away from being 12-2.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:47 pm

3Eeeeeeeeeeeeee, LEBRON JAMES. The jello is jiggling now baby, 109-98 Lakers.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:02 pm

Lakers win Brethren. Can you believe we are 10 games above .500 already? This is like the old days, best record in the NBA at 12-2 to start the season. This is great stuff :kingclaphands: , LeBron Triple Double and AD added 34 points.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:22 pm

Nycitylaker wrote:Kenny, my heart is heavy. I’m proud and inspired by your courage. Your dedication to your wife and boys is to be commended. Do not for a second think we all don’t fully understand the tragedy that you’ve experienced. The Lakeshow is but a spec in life’s journey. But it does pale in comparison to actual love. Love of family. Love of life. I salute you but also your incredible wife. May we all have a scintilla of her strength when/if our own personal stories come across difficulties unforeseen.

Sending you my deepest condolences and a reminder you can always reach out, personally or publicly to me/us. We are one in this world my brother. When one of us hurts, we all hurt.

Your brother in Laker land,

Jesus

That was beautiful, Jesus. Thank you. I will be planning a trip to NYC at some point in the next few years. Promise me that we will finally meet.

Thank you again.
KobeMVP888

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:22 pm

Moos wrote:All the best Ken,I’m so sorry for your loss my friend. My condolences go out to you and your entire family.

Thank you, Moses.
KobeMVP888

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:23 pm

lakerevolution wrote:I was fortunate enough to meet Mrs. Marks on one of my L.A. trips to hang with Kenny. Sweet lady . . likely much better than he deserved :waaaaa: but that's beside the point. It goes without saying that we all have your back (those of us who've been TrueFannish enough to hang around after the big ESPN Hollinger's Page split :whackstick: ) and that our shared fanhood is in direct connection to our sense of family, friendship and collective toughness through all the highs :potter: :boozbuds: and lows :fanshithit: :helpsign: of life. We'll see each other very soon and talk about life and Lakerdom. :xmas:

Go ahead, Rev, make me cry. Thank you and I will see you soon, my friend.
KobeMVP888

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:25 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:Sorry for your loss Kenny, my condolences to you and your sons. 34 years is a long time to be with someone. You 2 must've been really in love. Take care my friend.

Thank you, Mike. The trip to Indiana in April, 2017, was the next to last time that Merry could get on an airplane. I had such a wonderful time hanging with you and hope we can cross paths again.
KobeMVP888

Return to LakerTalk