20/20 vision: The Lakers in the 2020 AD Era

20/20 vision: The Lakers in the 2020 AD Era

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:10 pm

Ok, corny topic title but it fits. Aside from gameday posts, this wil be the new "Lakers Discussion Thread" heading into this season. Facts, truths, analysis, opinions and of course discussion. First up: KCP and his relative worth to Vogel and the team . . .

Next season, the Los Angeles Lakers will have six returning players on their roster, the fewest number of returning players they’ve had since the 2015-16 season. Of those six players, only two of them have at least two years of experience with the team: Kyle Kuzma and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.

While Kuzma will enter the season on the third year of his rookie contract, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope will be playing on his third one-year deal in three years. Unlike previous years, though, Caldwell-Pope will have a player option worth $8.4 million at the end of next season. In total, he’s accumulated $37.8 million in guaranteed money with the Lakers - a far cry from the rumored 5-year $80 million deal the Detroit Pistons were offering. Is playing for a shot at a ring alongside LeBron, Unibrow, Dwight, D. Green and Kuzma worth millions?

Caldwell-Pope has shown flashes of being the prototypical 3-and-D wings so many teams covet in today’s NBA, but he hasn’t been able to do it on a consistent basis. After seemingly turning a corner in his first season with the Lakers, Caldwell-Pope’s 3-point percentage went from 38.4% to 34.7%, and his defensive rating dropped from 108 to 112.Outside of Danny Green and Alex Caruso, the Lakers don’t have many serviceable defensive guards on their roster. In fact, with the exception of Green and Caruso, every one of their guards posted a negative defensive real plus-minus, according to ESPN.

At 26 years old, Caldwell-Pope probably could have played starters minutes on a lowly team like the Charlotte Hornets or Memphis Grizzlies next season, but with the Lakers, he’ll get the chance to show his value on a contending team, which is more likely to get him paid in 2020 than putting up inflated numbers on a bad roster.
lakerevolution

Re: 20/20 vision: The Lakers in the 2020 AD Era

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:49 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Ok, corny topic title but it fits. Aside from gameday posts, this wil be the new "Lakers Discussion Thread" heading into this season. Facts, truths, analysis, opinions and of course discussion. First up: KCP and his relative worth to Vogel and the team . . .

Next season, the Los Angeles Lakers will have six returning players on their roster, the fewest number of returning players they’ve had since the 2015-16 season. Of those six players, only two of them have at least two years of experience with the team: Kyle Kuzma and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.

While Kuzma will enter the season on the third year of his rookie contract, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope will be playing on his third one-year deal in three years. Unlike previous years, though, Caldwell-Pope will have a player option worth $8.4 million at the end of next season. In total, he’s accumulated $37.8 million in guaranteed money with the Lakers - a far cry from the rumored 5-year $80 million deal the Detroit Pistons were offering. Is playing for a shot at a ring alongside LeBron, Unibrow, Dwight, D. Green and Kuzma worth millions?

Caldwell-Pope has shown flashes of being the prototypical 3-and-D wings so many teams covet in today’s NBA, but he hasn’t been able to do it on a consistent basis. After seemingly turning a corner in his first season with the Lakers, Caldwell-Pope’s 3-point percentage went from 38.4% to 34.7%, and his defensive rating dropped from 108 to 112.Outside of Danny Green and Alex Caruso, the Lakers don’t have many serviceable defensive guards on their roster. In fact, with the exception of Green and Caruso, every one of their guards posted a negative defensive real plus-minus, according to ESPN.

At 26 years old, Caldwell-Pope probably could have played starters minutes on a lowly team like the Charlotte Hornets or Memphis Grizzlies next season, but with the Lakers, he’ll get the chance to show his value on a contending team, which is more likely to get him paid in 2020 than putting up inflated numbers on a bad roster.

I'm one of the few people who actually like KCP returning. And this is an "eye test" analysis that I will set forth. In his first season with Los Lakers, he was inconsistent, but much of that had to do with the legal situation that weighed on him as well as inconsistency with having a reliable backcourt mate at the point because of Lonzo's injuries (and the fact that he was a rookie). Last season was just a shitshow for him until the end of the season. Going into last season, he had always been a starter other than the first alf of his rookie season with the Pistons. How did Luke use him last season? Who the fuck knows?!! He certainly didn't. A some point after juggling his rotations, Luke settled on a four guard second unit featuring Rondo, KCP, Josh Hart and Lance Stephenson. What the fuck was KCP in that lineup other than utterly confused? As the season wound down and the Lakers ran out of bodies, guess who was their best 3/D player at the starting shooting guard position as the Lakers actually resembled an NBA team and caught fire? Kentavius Caldwell-Pope, that's who. And who was the backcourt mate who was equally as effective down the stretch? Alex Caruso. Granted, the games were meaningless and guys like Caruso were playing for NBA contracts, but the chemistry was there, the comfort was there and the confidence was there. I'm sure that film geek Frank Vogel is already envisioning pairing those two 3/D guards together.

Finally, KCP is 26 and entering his athletic prime. He is talented and NBA experienced and has the right coach to maximize his skills at the defensive end. I think a starting backcourt tandem of Avery Bradley and Danny Green makes sense, considering that LeBron will obviously be organizing the offense. I am hoping that Caruso and KCP are the second unit guards because of the chemistry they developed last season at both ends of the court. As for Rondo, let him rest and coach. As for Quinn Cook and Troy Daniels, a little training camp competition never hurts! I'm sure some matchups will require three guard lineups anyway. Here's hoping that the Lakers' guards can compete; it certianly isn't our biggest strength, but I think Vogel will squeeze the best out of these guys, especially KCP.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:00 pm

LeBron should immediately defer to AD IMO. AD would appreciate the respect and chemistry. AD is a 27 and 12 guy like Shaq was. LeBron should just let the game come to him and he would still get something like 25/8/7, he is that great. Yeah I know it's LeBron, arguably a top 5 player ever but AD is a youngster and ready. This will be AD's team for the next 7 or 8 seasons now. The problem the Heat had in 2011 was Wade and LeBron couldn't figure out who's team it was and Dirk stuck it to them when it counted. Wade should've just deferred to LeBron at that time because LeBron was the better player. I do not want to see a repeat of that with Leonard sticking it to us. I expect a Championship this season, those are my expectations. How can I not with players like LeBron and AD.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:12 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:LeBron should immediately defer to AD IMO. AD would appreciate the respect and chemistry. AD is a 27 and 12 guy like Shaq was. LeBron should just let the game come to him and he would still get something like 25/8/7, he is that great. Yeah I know it's LeBron, arguably a top 5 player ever but AD is a youngster and ready. This will be AD's team for the next 7 or 8 seasons now. The problem the Heat had in 2011 was Wade and LeBron couldn't figure out who's team it was and Dirk stuck it to them when it counted. Wade should've just deferred to LeBron at that time because LeBron was the better player. I do not want to see a repeat of that with Leonard sticking it to us. I expect a Championship this season, those are my expectations. How can I not with players like LeBron and AD.

The loss of Boogie can be seen as a loss . . or not. He's proven his instability from both a physical and mental standpoint and I pray for him to find peace. Dwight is even more of a headcase and less of a force but hey maybe he finds his sweet spot with Bron and Vogel uses him sparingly.

HEALTH. :wishbone:

Maybe Kobe needs to sign a one-year fitty-zillion dollar contract and be the 2019-2020 6MOTY :pissedkobe:

The key to a deep playoff run is everybody else on the roster: McGee, Gay, Kuz and the rest need to ball out of their minds and Bron has to be the glue guy to stick it all together. Our fate, our karma, our bad/good luck has been putting this franchise through a meat grinder the last several years and I'm ready for the madness to stop. :panic: :imok: But I'll hold off on my expectations til after the first trimester.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:36 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:LeBron should immediately defer to AD IMO. AD would appreciate the respect and chemistry. AD is a 27 and 12 guy like Shaq was. LeBron should just let the game come to him and he would still get something like 25/8/7, he is that great. Yeah I know it's LeBron, arguably a top 5 player ever but AD is a youngster and ready. This will be AD's team for the next 7 or 8 seasons now. The problem the Heat had in 2011 was Wade and LeBron couldn't figure out who's team it was and Dirk stuck it to them when it counted. Wade should've just deferred to LeBron at that time because LeBron was the better player. I do not want to see a repeat of that with Leonard sticking it to us. I expect a Championship this season, those are my expectations. How can I not with players like LeBron and AD.

Where everyone thinks LeBron's and AD's skills fit perfectly together, I am with you. Name one skilled power forward who LeBron has meshed with. And we are talking All-Stars like Love and Bosh. Sure, he has won chips with both of them, but who made the sacrifice? I seriously doubt that LeBron will alter his game much, even with a high level talent like Anthony Davis as his "Robin." Oh wait ...
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:46 pm

Dwan-yay joining the Purp & Gold . . ?

Wade made some statements that he's keeping in shape and will :? "join LeBron in pre-game shoot-arounds" . . and is keeping his options open for un-retiring to join James on the Lakers. Unless we wave Boogie to make an open spot, there's no room for him . . but if that happens he'd make a great backup. Thoughts?
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:41 am

lakerevolution wrote:Dwan-yay joining the Purp & Gold . . ?

Wade made some statements that he's keeping in shape and will :? "join LeBron in pre-game shoot-arounds" . . and is keeping his options open for un-retiring to join James on the Lakers. Unless we wave Boogie to make an open spot, there's no room for him . . but if that happens he'd make a great backup. Thoughts?

If Dwayne Wade is in shape and gets that itch again, that would be awfully tempting if Iggy can't talk his way into a buyout and wants to play with the Bron-Brow Connection. HAVING SAID THAT, D-Wade's second go around with LeBron in The Land didn't exactly go as planned. As for the roster spot, they can still waive Boogie and can free up yet another one by trading the rookie or waiving Troy Daniels. Frankly, I still think they need another big and definitely need another small forward. It's a fluid process, if you will.
KobeMVP888

Postby NuggetsCountry » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:32 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:
lakerevolution wrote:Dwan-yay joining the Purp & Gold . . ?

If Dwayne Wade is in shape and gets that itch again, that would be awfully tempting if Iggy can't talk his way into a buyout and wants to play with the Bron-Brow Connection. HAVING SAID THAT, D-Wade's second go around with LeBron in The Land didn't exactly go as planned. As for the roster spot, they can still waive Boogie and can free up yet another one by trading the rookie or waiving Troy Daniels. Frankly, I still think they need another big and definitely need another small forward. It's a fluid process, if you will.

Frankly, I am exhausted with the retreads we keep signing over the past 6 or so years..........................when we had a bunch of younguns it was fun to see them progress. If they get rid of Kuzma I quit. I still think something has to be done at ownership/GM level to get us another ring run. What? I don't know - beyond my pay grade.
Image :yeahthat:
NuggetsCountry
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 7

Postby KobeMVP888 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:52 pm

NuggetsCountry wrote:Frankly, I am exhausted with the retreads we keep signing over the past 6 or so years..........................when we had a bunch of younguns it was fun to see them progress. If they get rid of Kuzma I quit. I still think something has to be done at ownership/GM level to get us another ring run. What? I don't know - beyond my pay grade.

On the one hand, I agree, but with LeBron at the very end of his prime (if not entering an injury prone end), I don't have a problem with pairing him with a generational talent like Anthony Davis. This was like acquiring Kareem back in the day. I do feel bit shell shocked after a series of seasons that were more about injuries than anything else and I also have huge questions about LeBron and Anthony Davis having chemistry. I have a very tough time seeing it. I wish we had kept Lonzo instead of Kuzma though and I don;t understand why we didn't hold our ground on Josh Hart, too. I also think we should not have let Kawhi Leonard play us; clearly D'Angelo Russell was going to sign for the max somewhere with all that money out there and I would have been thrilled if we had made that move. We'll see what happens, but I don't see a championship. The fucking Clippers though ...
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:19 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
NuggetsCountry wrote:Frankly, I am exhausted with the retreads we keep signing over the past 6 or so years..........................when we had a bunch of younguns it was fun to see them progress. If they get rid of Kuzma I quit. I still think something has to be done at ownership/GM level to get us another ring run. What? I don't know - beyond my pay grade.

On the one hand, I agree, but with LeBron at the very end of his prime (if not entering an injury prone end), I don't have a problem with pairing him with a generational talent like Anthony Davis. This was like acquiring Kareem back in the day. I do feel bit shell shocked after a series of seasons that were more about injuries than anything else and I also have huge questions about LeBron and Anthony Davis having chemistry. I have a very tough time seeing it. I wish we had kept Lonzo instead of Kuzma though and I don;t understand why we didn't hold our ground on Josh Hart, too. I also think we should not have let Kawhi Leonard play us; clearly D'Angelo Russell was going to sign for the max somewhere with all that money out there and I would have been thrilled if we had made that move. We'll see what happens, but I don't see a championship. The fucking Clippers though ...

I am glad we kept Kuzma, to me he is the best player out of Russell, Lonzo, and Ingram. If LeBron can still be LeBron this upcoming season then we have a hell of a Big4 in LeBron, Davis, Kuzma, and Green who can shoot the 3.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:09 am

After falling to the Los Angeles Lakers in the second round of the 2019 NBA Draft, teams will regret passing on Talen Horton-Tucker.

The Lakers had no draft picks going into the NBA draft this season, but they traded cash considerations and their 2020 second round pick to Orlando to select Horton-Tucker at the 46th spot. With options like Jaylen Hands(UCLA) and Kyle Guy (Virginia) it was seen as an interesting pick.

Horton-Tucker bet on himself by entering his name in the draft and as of now it has paid off. The Lakers took him and seem to have high expectations. The 6”4 wing is a jack-of-all-trades player. He is strong (233 lb), and a terrific athlete who can defend multiple spots on the floor.

Horton-Tucker is an intriguing option due to a number of reasons, the first being that he is only 18 years old. It’s not common for a player of that age that played a year of college to go in the second round. Usually these players either go top 15 or return to college for another year.

At Iowa State he averaged 11.8 points, 4.9 rebounds, and 2.3 assists. He showed signs of being a top-notch defender with sneaky playmaking ability. Horton-Tucker’s build and ability to track down loose balls can make him a good rebounder in the league despite being undersized.

https://youtu.be/V7ccT3xSlV0

The question with Horton-Tucker is whether he will be a good shooter in the league. In one year with the Cyclones he shot 31% from deep. The positive is that he made 1.4 threes per game and displayed confidence shooting it.

Unfortunately for the Lakers and their fans he missed the Summer League with a foot injury. The injury doesn’t seem to be too serious as he’s expected to participate in the preseason in October.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:56 am

lakerevolution wrote:After falling to the Los Angeles Lakers in the second round of the 2019 NBA Draft, teams will regret passing on Talen Horton-Tucker.

The Lakers had no draft picks going into the NBA draft this season, but they traded cash considerations and their 2020 second round pick to Orlando to select Horton-Tucker at the 46th spot. With options like Jaylen Hands(UCLA) and Kyle Guy (Virginia) it was seen as an interesting pick.

Horton-Tucker bet on himself by entering his name in the draft and as of now it has paid off. The Lakers took him and seem to have high expectations. The 6”4 wing is a jack-of-all-trades player. He is strong (233 lb), and a terrific athlete who can defend multiple spots on the floor.

Horton-Tucker is an intriguing option due to a number of reasons, the first being that he is only 18 years old. It’s not common for a player of that age that played a year of college to go in the second round. Usually these players either go top 15 or return to college for another year.

At Iowa State he averaged 11.8 points, 4.9 rebounds, and 2.3 assists. He showed signs of being a top-notch defender with sneaky playmaking ability. Horton-Tucker’s build and ability to track down loose balls can make him a good rebounder in the league despite being undersized.

https://youtu.be/V7ccT3xSlV0

The question with Horton-Tucker is whether he will be a good shooter in the league. In one year with the Cyclones he shot 31% from deep. The positive is that he made 1.4 threes per game and displayed confidence shooting it.

Unfortunately for the Lakers and their fans he missed the Summer League with a foot injury. The injury doesn’t seem to be too serious as he’s expected to participate in the preseason in October.

Yeah, we'll see. I'm skeptical about the 46th pick in a weak draft, according to the so-called experts. I also think that the Lakers are all in on the gamble this year and it wouldn't shock me if he was a casualty to free up another roster spot for a proven veteran who gets bought out.
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:51 pm

“Everyone has to be on the same page — the players, the coaching staff, the front office, ownership, everyone,” Anthony Davis said. “I think we have a great group of guys — no one causing locker room problems and nobody who wants to go out there and be selfish; nobody who wants to showcase their skills rather than do what’s best for the team.”

https://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-new ... 019/09/22/
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:59 am

Unibrow on Rob Lowe's post-Magic roster-building:

"We were doing constant calls about, ‘What do you think of this or this player?'” he says. “Rob was almost like a stalking girlfriend. He was an agent, so he’s played both sides. He knows that in order for stuff to work, the players have to be involved. And he tried to make sure that LeBron and I were involved as much as possible. During free agency, every decision I got a text or a call, even just two minutes, ‘Look, this is going on. … How do you feel? OK, cool.’"

The worst thing about major sports these days is the fluff . . all the over-hyped news and superficial tidbits that nobody really cares about. We didn't have all this back in the 70s and 80s - I guess you can blame ESPN for driving the sports news world into overload and demanding that we know every last tidbit about whatever hyped-up player or team is currently having some success. THAT BEING SAID I really hope this currently-constructed Laker team can challenge for the crown. Warriors, Raptors, Celtics, Rockets, Nets . . who are these clowns? This is going to be an interesting NBA season.
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:41 pm

SB Nation:

"Now the question remaining is: Who will be the final two cuts of camp? Originally the assumption was that Devontae Cacok and Demetrius Jackson would be the others, and while the latter hasn’t really stood out, Cacok has impressed, averaging 10.2 points and 5.2 rebounds while shooting 60.5% from the field in six games as a wrecking ball of boundless energy for the Lakers. Cacok made a good last impression, too, dropping 16 points and 10 rebounds in 35 minutes while starting his final preseason game.

Because of the Lakers’ crowded roster, Cacok has to be the next odds-on favorite to be the final roster subtraction, but could he have done enough to beat out Troy Daniels, who only played in two games and shot 30% from behind the arc in a crowded backcourt? Could the Lakers really give sign Cacok to Kostas Antetokounmpo’s two-way contract slot, given that he was seemingly clearly brought in as part of a ploy to appeal to his brother, the reigning league MVP? Could they let DeMarcus Cousins go to open up a spot? Could it be someone even less predictable than these already admittedly unlikely scenarios?"
lakerevolution

Return to LakerTalk