Who is the greatest Laker player of all-time?

Who is the greatest Laker player of all-time?

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:15 am

We have talked about this subject before but it has been a while. Here is my choice and I will give great reasons why I made my choice and facts to back it up.

Magic Johnson

1. Magic was always the best player on every championship team with the Lakers. Kobe wasn't, Shaq was the better player and more dominant in 2000 when they won championship #1. Magic didn't win Finals MVP in all the championships he won but he was the clear cut leader on all of those teams. Before Magic arrived, Kareem did not even make the Finals with the Lakers for 4 seasons 1976-79. Magic came in and won Finals MVP as a rookie in 1980, closed out the Sixers who had Doc, Cheeks, Toney, and Dawkins at Philly. He did not even need Kareem lol. He had 42 points, 15 rebounds, and 7 assists in the Game 6 close out game. He won Finals MVP as a rookie, think about how amazing that is and unreal that is. Nobody has ever done that in NBA history except for Magic.

2. Magic led the Lakers to 9 Finals in 12 seasons. He won 5 championships. Kobe only made the Finals 7 times in 20 seasons winning 5 championships.

3. Magic's teams never missed the playoffs. You could put Homer Simpson, Humpty Dumpty, Beavis and Butthead with Magic and he would still make the playoffs! Kobe missed the playoffs the year after Shaq was gone in 2005 and his teams failed to make the playoffs from 2014-2016 = his last 3 seasons. It's an eye test thing to me too. I knew with Magic that the Lakers would never miss the playoffs. I would actually be shocked when they did not make the Finals with him.

4. Magic is the all-time leader in assist average over a whole career. He averaged 11.2 a season over a 12 and a half year career. Not even John Stockton averaged more assists a game.

5. Magic has won more League MVP's than any other Laker as a Laker except Kareem, each have won 3. Tied for 1st. Shaq and Kobe only won 1.

6. Magic has won more Finals MVP's than any other Laker as a Laker except for Shaq, each have won 3. Tied for 1st.

7. Magic beat Bird and the Celtics twice in the Finals.

8. When the Lakers were going for their repeat in 1988, Magic hit several game winning shots at the buzzer that season. Lakers became the 1st team in 20 seasons to repeat. He was so clutch from the 1987-1989 seasons that it was comical. Look up Magic buzzer beaters on YouTube.

9. What is overlooked is Magic was actually a great scorer but he was so unselfish that his 19.5 points per game average over his career just looks good on paper, not dominant. Anyone would take good and basically 20 a game though. He could score at will actually but chose to pass a lot. It was about winning to him anyway he could.

10. Last but not least he changed the NBA and the way people watched it. He along with Bird saved the NBA. The NBA was not popular until Magic and Bird arrived.

*Kobe would be my 2nd choice by the way because he played for the Lakers for 20 seasons and is the Lakers all-time leading scorer with 33,643 points. He won 5 championships with LA like Magic too. His longevity and scoring was better than Magic's but outside of that Magic had the better resume. Magic made the Finals more, won more Finals MVP's, won more League MVP's, averaged more assists and rebounds per game compared to Kobe. He was also a better leader and more efficient = Magic shot 52% for his career, Kobe 45%. I see no debate here but Kobe was awesome. I love Kobe but he wasn't Magic, JMO.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Re: Who is the greatest Laker player of all-time?

Postby lakerevolution » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:52 am

Absolutely no arguments here. Kobe was more athletic and a better defender but Magic really did make a much bigger impact on the franchise and the league during his time. How the Lakers would have fared had he not retired after 1991 is something we'll never know - it may have affected our ability to get Kobe and Shaq!
lakerevolution

Re: Who is the greatest Laker player of all-time?

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:54 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Absolutely no arguments here. Kobe was more athletic and a better defender but Magic really did make a much bigger impact on the franchise and the league during his time. How the Lakers would have fared had he not retired after 1991 is something we'll never know - it may have affected our ability to get Kobe and Shaq!

I think if someone wanted to make a real good argument for Kobe to being the better player it would be, that he was a better defensive player. He made 9 1st team all defensive teams to Magic's 0. That and longevity is really where Kobe has him by a wide margin. Scoring wise by my eye test the margin isn't that big. Yeah Kobe has a lot more points but he also played 20 seasons. Magic could've been a nightly great scorer like Kobe but chose to pass more being a PG. Magic has had a ton of playoff games where he scored big because he had too.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk