Game 59: 02/23/19 Lakers at Pelicans GAME THREAD

Game 59: 02/23/19 Lakers at Pelicans GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:03 am

(29-29) LAKERS AT PELICANS (26-34)

Thursday, February 23, 2019, 4:00 PM PDT
Smoothie King Center • New Orleans, LA

Referees: Eric Lewis (#42), Kevin Cutler (#34), Matt Boland (#18)

Replay Center: Tony Brown, Brian Forte, Ron Garretson, Lauren Holtkamp, JT Orr

Line: Lakers -5

Local TV: Spectrum SportsNet

GAME PREVIEW: LAKERS AT PELICANS

by NBA.com

The Los Angeles Lakers will try to keep their momentum going Saturday night, when they visit the New Orleans Pelicans, who aren't getting full work out of unhappy star Anthony Davis.

The Lakers are coming off one of their most impressive victories of the season, a 111-106 win against the visiting Houston Rockets on Thursday night in both teams' return from the All-Star break.

"I believe we'll continue to get better and better," said Lakers star LeBron James. "(Thursday) night was a good step in the right direction."

The Lakers had lost four of five heading into the break, but James said he and Los Angeles are ready to kick into an extra gear heading into the stretch run.

James missed 17 games with a groin injury sustained in a Christmas Day win against the Golden State Warriors, which likely still ranks as the best victory for Los Angeles this season.

"It wasn't that I needed to reach a different level," James said. "It was that I needed to be in that level right now under the circumstances that we're in. Just kick-starting something a little bit earlier than I've done in the past. I like where I'm at. I'll love where I'm at in the next few games."

The Pelicans looked strong through the first half of their return from the All-Star break, building a 20-point lead Friday night at the Indiana Pacers. Indiana scored a season-high 39 points in the third quarter while holding the Pelicans to 23, and the Pacers continued to pull away in the fourth quarter for a 126-111 win.

Davis, who came into Friday averaging 28.1 points and 12.9 rebounds, is playing restricted minutes because of a left shoulder injury sustained Feb. 14 against the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Davis played 19 minutes against the Pacers, finishing with 15 points and eight rebounds. Davis scored eight in the first quarter, sat out the second and scored seven more in the third.

The disgruntled Davis, who has asked for a trade and doesn't intend to re-sign with the Pelicans when his contract expires after next season, will be on limited minutes through the rest of the season, according to interim general manager Danny Ferry.

Nothing came of trade talks between the Lakers and Pelicans before this month's trade deadline.

"Things always run smoothly when there's a plan in place," Davis told reporters Friday. "That's what's in place right now. Until something changes, I'm going to do what they tell me to do. Whenever I get subbed in, I'm going to play as hard as I can and try to help the team."

James continues to contribute in a variety of ways for the Lakers. He leads the team in scoring (26.8 points per game), rebounding (8.7) and assists (7.6). He is the only player in the NBA averaging at least 26 points, eight rebounds and seven assists per game.

"I'm just an all-around basketball player," James said. "You can't give me a position. I'm just a ballplayer. Put me on the floor; I'm going to make plays offensively and defensively. I sacrifice my body, sacrifice for my team."

The Lakers will host the Pelicans on Wednesday after their two-game road trip concludes Monday at the Memphis Grizzlies.

Los Angeles and New Orleans met on Dec. 21 at Staples Center, when James had 22 points, 14 assists and 12 rebounds in a 112-104 victory. Davis had 30 points and 20 rebounds in that game.

http://www.nba.com/games/20190223/LALNOP#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 59: 02/23/19 Lakers at Pelicans GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:48 pm

I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:35 pm

These are the types of games we definitely can't afford to lose if we want to make the Playoffs.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:00 pm

KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:50 pm

We give up too many open perimeter shots, and our opponents are fond of hitting them.
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:12 pm

Damn-near 70 points in a half to a team missing its best player. What is our main problem?
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:36 pm

:pissedkobe:
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:58 pm

Bad loss. This is a puzzling team.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:38 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:Bad loss. This is a puzzling team.

LeBron "playoff mode activated" should be going for 35+ on these Pels w/o Davis and getting his teammates involved to the point where we win this one by 7-10 points. I agree, the inconsistent and undisciplined play is puzzling . . either the players aren't giving 100% or the coach isn't doing his job.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:23 pm

So disgusted that I put it out of my mind to the point that I forgot to post my disgust.

Trade LeBron James this summer and get a shitload for him. That'll take the pressure off the kids and they can blossom naturally.

In fact, sit his ass for the remainder of the season and tank. Fuck it. Our hopes about the Magic-Pelinka front office were all phony hopes.

D'Angelo Russell is blossoming as is Julius Randle. Larry Nance is a solid player.

Then they traded Zubac for, uh, NOTHING????

Sell the team; clean out the front office.

I'm fed up. I feel deceived. And frankly, I don't think this is on Luke as much as everyone else wants to blame him, albeit his rotations are questionable.

That's all I have to say about that.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:37 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:So disgusted that I put it out of my mind to the point that I forgot to post my disgust.

Trade LeBron James this summer and get a shitload for him. That'll take the pressure off the kids and they can blossom naturally.

In fact, sit his ass for the remainder of the season and tank. Fuck it. Our hopes about the Magic-Pelinka front office were all phony hopes.

D'Angelo Russell is blossoming as is Julius Randle. Larry Nance is a solid player.

I'm fed up. I feel deceived. And frankly, I don't think this is on Luke as much as everyone else wants to blame him, albeit his rotations are questionable.

I was definitely for keeping Randle, I have no clue to why we didn't. LeBron is older at 34 and he doesn't seem like the same player he has been over the last decade. I will say it and say it again, if this team had Jordan at 34 or even Kobe on it at 34 instead of LeBron with the Roster we have now we would make the playoffs without a doubt. Those 2 guys were killers. LeBron is an all-time great and a top 10 player ever but he is soft compared to the 2 players I just mentioned. I know I am Mr. list guy and I post my players list to the point it gets worn out but no way in hell should LeBron be considered better all-time than Jordan, Magic, Kareem, or Kobe. Bird is as great as he is and is more of a killer actually. LeBron is arguably the greatest athlete in NBA history and has physical gifts we have never seen but player wise he is no GOAT. Shaq was more dominant actually as far as pure dominance. If you are considered the GOAT or a top 3 player of all-time, there is no excuse to miss the playoffs. Magic's teams never missed the playoffs by the way in his whole career, neither did Bird's teams.

Regarding our team now, we have no chemistry which is devastating. Look at the Pacers Roster and look at our's. The Pacers lost Oladipo a month ago and have been playing without Turner and they still win. They are 40-20 and a 3 seed in the East. You know why, they play great team ball and have great chemistry. They remind me of how teams played in the 70's, like the Blazers did with Walton under Jack Ramsey. They just play as a team and love each other. Nate McMillan should win COY. When I watch the Pacers play I enjoy it, it is beautiful team Basketball, when I watch the Lakers play I cringe.

Rant over!
Last edited by 3Peatkb24 on Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Peatkb24

Postby Julius Russell » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:02 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:So disgusted that I put it out of my mind to the point that I forgot to post my disgust.

It’s not on Luke at all. His rotations are in flux because the FO has been a mess and we have had some injury bad luck.

Bron being older meant preseason he went easy. Zo was just coming back the suspensions and subsequent injuries.

But now, we have a hurt Hart and no Zo and Zubac gone so McGee, Lance and Rondo are getting more minutes than they normally would.

I disliked Bron before he was a Laker and though I finally respected him as a true All Timer with his 3rd title, his antics have always bugged me. His lack of defense and behind the scenes fuckery has literally fractured the team.

Think about this.

Klutch gives us Lebron(aging) KCP package. And our roster. Without Bron

Dlo Randle possibly Paul George still Kuzma plus the kids plus no Lance or Rondo or McGee.

It’s crazy
Julius Russell

Return to LakerTalk