Game 49: 01/24/19 Timberwolves at Lakers GAME THREAD

Game 49: 01/24/19 Timberwolves at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:00 am

(23-24) TIMBERWOLVES at LAKERS (25-23)

Thursday, January 24, 2019, 7:30 PM PDT
Staples Center • Los Angeles, CA

Referees: Sean Wright (#4), Mark Ayotte (#56), Justin Van Duyne (#64)

Replay Center: Kane Fitzgerald, Dedric Taylor

Line: Wolves -1.5

Local TV: Spectrum SportsNet National TV: TNT

GAME PREVIEW: TIMBERWOLVES AT LAKERS

by NBA.com

The Los Angeles Lakers could get a veteran back from injury for Thursday's home game against the Minnesota Timberwolves. It just won't be LeBron James.

That doesn't mean the possible appearance of Rajon Rondo would not be important.

James is expected back soon enough from a groin injury, but with Rondo, the Lakers would have a true point guard on the floor Thursday after Lonzo Ball was lost for at least a month to a sprained ankle Saturday at Houston.

Rondo told reporters after Wednesday's practice that he would be a game-time decision as he recovers from a torn ligament in his right ring finger.

"They're different," the Lakers' Kyle Kuzma said of the team's point guards, according to the Los Angeles Times. "Lonzo gets out on the break, gets ahead of everybody. Rondo is a half-court genius. They're definitely different."

The Lakers tried something of a point-guard-by-committee situation in Monday's game against the Golden State Warriors, finishing with 20 assists. The Warriors finished with 41 and a 130-111 victory, with Klay Thompson setting an NBA record by making his first 10 3-point attempts.

James is getting closer but was considered unavailable for Thursday's game. That pushes a potential return to a Sunday home game against the Phoenix Suns.

James and Rondo last played on Christmas Day at Golden State. The Lakers beat the Warriors 127-101 that day. They are 5-9 since, winning at Dallas and Oklahoma City in that span, but also losing at home to Cleveland.

The Timberwolves have regained some confidence in recent days after back-to-back victories over the Suns. The Wolves won a tight two-point game at Minnesota on Sunday and rolled to a 118-91 victory Tuesday in the desert.

Tuesday's victory included a third-quarter altercation between the Wolves' Gorgui Dieng and the Suns' Devin Booker, with both players being ejected. Afterward, Wolves players appeared amused by the altercation and Dieng even joked about it.

"As a team we're better when we play with the right emotion," Minnesota interim coach Ryan Saunders said, according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. "So we want to make sure to control our emotions in terms of not letting them become negative, but we were playing tougher with things."

The Wolves are 4-3 under Saunders, who took over after Tom Thibodeau was fired earlier this month. Thibodeau's dismissal came after Minnesota's 108-86 victory over the Lakers on Jan. 6 as the Wolves improved to 2-1 against Los Angeles this season.

Minnesota's Karl-Anthony Towns has scored at least 20 points in 13 of his last 14 games, averaging 26.1 points over that stretch. He put up 55 points in the two recent games against the Suns. Rookie Josh Okogie is coming off a career-best 21-point game and has averaged 11.7 points in seven games this month.

"Josh has all the tools to become an All-Star," Wolves forward Taj Gibson said in the Star-Tribune.

While James and Ball are expected to be out for the Lakers, Wolves guards Jeff Teague (foot) and Tyus Jones (ankle) are day-to-day, while forward Robert Covington (knee) is out indefinitely.

http://www.nba.com/games/20190124/MINLAL#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 49: 01/24/19 Timberwolves at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:45 am

Could LeBron's extended absence be . . deliberate? Not that he wasn't injured, but Year One of the LeBron experiment was likely not calculated as anything more than an audition/weeding-out process to see who stays and who goes. LeBron is the decider, much like Magic was in his day, and by now he knows how he feels about the Kuzmas and Zubacs.

From a fan's perspective, with near 100% health this year we could have legitimately been a 4th seed, 5th at absolute worst.

Thoughts?
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:44 am

lakerevolution wrote:Could LeBron's extended absence be . . deliberate? Not that he wasn't injured, but Year One of the LeBron experiment was likely not calculated as anything more than an audition/weeding-out process to see who stays and who goes. LeBron is the decider, much like Magic was in his day, and by now he knows how he feels about the Kuzmas and Zubacs.

From a fan's perspective, with near 100% health this year we could have legitimately been a 4th seed, 5th at absolute worst.

Thoughts?

I think he will come back and we will squeeze into the Playoffs because we are better than the Clippers who are currently 8th and everyone below us we are better when LeBron is playing. He just has to stay healthy once he is back.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:14 am

If Magic had the roster we had now, we would finish in the Top 4, JMO. Magic to me is still right with Jordan as the GOAT. Magic just had that ability to get every player involved and the ability to make everyone around him better. Kuzma would dominate with Magic in his prime. He was a true leader much like Peyton was with Indy. Those 2 guys could play with college players and still win on the pro level :roflmao:, same for Jordan. Brady needs Belichick :waaaaa: . Here is a joke, will Gary Kubiak ever win a SB? Of course if he has Peyton Manning as his QB :roflmao: . Gary Kubiak sucks ass in reality. How's about will Paul Westhead ever win an NBA Title? Of course if he had Magic Johnson :waaaaa: . Westhead sucked in reality. He and Magic didn't get a long at all in 1980 and Magic was like, look pal this is my team "lol4:. I mean Magic won an NBA Title with freakin Paul Westhead and Peyton won a SB with Gary stinky Kubiak. I can't quit laughing this morning with my Crown and Eggs and Bacon :rofl4:
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:53 pm

Except for all the missed 3s, having a good night so far. Rondo leading us and doing his damn thang! Zubac is a beast! Ingram getting his too. Let's get this win!
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:58 pm

They're shooting worse than us - except somebody has to guard Teague. We should be up by more than 5 but it's probably due to the FTs.
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:04 pm

FT%

Them: 93%

Us: 61%

WHAT THE FUCK IS THE PROBLEM??? HAS ANY LAKER TEAM EVER SHOT THIS LOW??
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:35 pm

This shit is sad. How do you shoot between 47-49% from the field to their 41% and outshoot them from 3 and still be down by 11?

FREE THROWS and not enough coaching. We are at HOME, a place that used to be feared and is now getting shit on by any team that comes into town. I'm very disappointed in the job being done by this staff and this squad. The Lakers are turning into the Raiders.
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:04 pm

We just got beat by Dirk Nowitski and Penny Hardaway.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:48 pm

Andrew Wiggins made us his bitch in the 1st part of the 4th Qtr when they pulled away. I would trade Ingram for him straight up in 2 seconds.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:07 am

We are going to be an 8th Seed is my feeling about now. LeBron will squeeze us in :roflmao:
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:50 am

Our two best players are out. What do you expect?
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:24 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:Our two best players are out. What do you expect?

"What do you expect"? A Playoff appearance at least and we better at least get in otherwise LeBron looks an ass and makes Magic look bad. Even the Colts do not go more than 2 seasons without making the Playoffs. Lakers haven't made the Playoffs in 5 seasons since 2013 and we have the so called the greatest player of all-time, so not making the Playoffs will be a :brainfart: as in shit. Excuse time is over and I have never seen a team more injury prone than ours. Ball gets injured all the time, it is tiresome. Dude is 22, when I was 22, I could run 7 miles a day and zig and zag and bench press 275 pounds and never got injured. Shit just gets old. Go Cubs.Baseball can't start soon enough. Lakers aren't doing anything this year and the Pacers are done without Oladipo. I can not wait for the NFL Draft and Free Agency in the NFL to watch Indy finally put a complete team around Luck and Baseball to start with my Cubbies.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:08 pm

ONE of our two best players was out - Rondo was really cooking on all cylinders until that second half. It's the Timberwolves, for pete's sake, who were having an off-night from everywhere but the FT line. Letting them slowly wake up and overtake us at home when we have the defensive players available to compete (and no don't put it on missing Lonzo because he's had poor defensive showings, and we all know LeBron is not the defensive force he once was, if ever) and this continued FT bullshit (our absolute WORST FT shooter is out for a month) is just unacceptable. Like I said, I put this ridiculousness on our coaching staff at this point, which is why a mild form of tanking might be the modus operandi in response to all these injuries. If a combo of JaVale, Chandler and Zubac can't keep Towns from catching fire late, and if our SFs and guards minus Lonzo can't contain Wiggins in crunch time, we are mismanaged. Why slump in the 4th quarter, when our best play is needed? That was a winnable game, period.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:38 am

lakerevolution wrote:

ONE of our two best players was out - Rondo was really cooking on all cylinders until that second half. It's the Timberwolves, for pete's sake, who were having an off-night from everywhere but the FT line. Letting them slowly wake up and overtake us at home when we have the defensive players available to compete (and no don't put it on missing Lonzo because he's had poor defensive showings, and we all know LeBron is not the defensive force he once was, if ever) and this continued FT bullshit (our absolute WORST FT shooter is out for a month) is just unacceptable. Like I said, I put this ridiculousness on our coaching staff at this point, which is why a mild form of tanking might be the modus operandi in response to all these injuries. If a combo of JaVale, Chandler and Zubac can't keep Towns from catching fire late, and if our SFs and guards minus Lonzo can't contain Wiggins in crunch time, we are mismanaged. Why slump in the 4th quarter, when our best play is needed? That was a winnable game, period.

After a while I am starting to question our training staff. I have never seen a group of young guys get injured as much as we do. Like I said above I never had any kinds of aches or pains until I was in my mid 30's and that was due to running a lot on concrete and playing Basketball out doors for years. These guys paying in the NBA are much stronger than what I was and have top notch training equipment and medicine. Just puzzling to me. Oladipo's injury was baffling as well.
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk