Game 43: 01/11/19 Lakers at Jazz GAME THREAD

Game 43: 01/11/19 Lakers at Jazz GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:31 am

(23-19) LAKERS at JAZZ (21-21)

Friday, January 11, 2019, 7:00 PM PDT
Vivint Smart Home Arena • Salt Lake City, UT

Referees: Scott Foster (#48), Mark Ayotte (#56), Kevin Cutler (#34)

Replay Center: Derrick Collins, Matt Myers, Justin Van Duyne

Line: Jazz -9

Local TV: Spectrum SportsNet National TV: ESPN

GAME PREVIEW: LAKERS AT JAZZ

by NBA.com

When Donovan Mitchell flips the switch, there are few NBA teams that can turn it off again. Mitchell has been "on" for the Utah Jazz in January.

Mitchell, through the first five games of the month, is averaging 24.4 points, 4.2 assists, and 3.8 rebounds. The second-year guard is shooting 47.1 percent from 3-point range (16 of 34) in that stretch, which is going a long way to helping the Jazz overcome the absence of injured point guards Ricky Rubio and Dante Exum heading into Friday's home game with the Los Angeles Lakers.

Mitchell turned in one of his best all-around performances of the season in rallying Utah to a 106-93 victory over Orlando on Wednesday. He scored 33 points -- his fifth 30-plus game of the season -- on 12-of-21 shooting and matched his season-high with seven assists.

Mitchell's efforts helped the Jazz rally from a 21-point first-half deficit.

"My biggest thing is not to change the mindset, just because we're down two point guards," Mitchell told reporters after the game. "Just being aggressive and making the right reads. That's what I've been doing and that's what I'm going to continue to do."

As good as Mitchell is playing, the Jazz will need to get production from third-string point guard Raul Neto to keep going while Rubio recovers from a hamstring strain and Exum deals with an ankle sprain. Neto made his first start of the season against the Magic, responding with 10 points, three assists and three rebounds in 30 minutes.

He showed a steady hand in guiding the offense, which is exactly what Utah wants from Neto.

"He was engaged. That's what we expect from Raul," Jazz coach Quin Snyder said.

(Note: It was reported yesterday that Neto is OUT for this game).

The Lakers are also searching for ways to stay afloat as LeBron James remains sidelined with a groin strain.

James will not travel to Utah. He was evaluated by team medical staff and physicians on Thursday, when the team announced James has been cleared to increase on-court functional basketball movements. The Lakers are scheduled to provide another update Wednesday.

Just like with Utah, younger players are stepping up to propel Los Angeles to success.

Brandon Ingram scored a season-high 29 points on 12-of-21 shooting to help the Lakers beat Dallas 107-97 on Monday. That marked the most points the third-year pro has scored in regulation in an NBA game.

Then, Kyle Kuzma dropped a career-high 41 points on 16-of-24 shooting in only three quarters to power the Lakers past Detroit 113-100 on Wednesday.

Since returning from a seven-game absence because of a sprained ankle, Ingram has averaged 18.4 points over his last 11 games. Kuzma has been electric as well.

The second-year forward averaged 22.2 points, 7.0 rebounds and 3.6 assists in December. So far, in January, Kuzma is averaging 19.3 points on 44 percent shooting despite missing two games with a lower-back injury.

"I know I'm a great shooter," Kuzma said. "My percentage may not reflect that (in some games), but I'm always confident in shooting. I'm always in the gym just trying to continue to put work in every single day."

This is the second meeting of the season between the Jazz and Lakers. Los Angeles beat Utah 90-83 on Nov. 23 after the Jazz swept the 2017-18 season series. James paced the Lakers with 22 points, 10 rebounds, and seven assists. Ingram added 24 points for Los Angeles in the victory.

http://www.nba.com/games/20190111/LALUTA#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 43: 01/11/19 Lakers at Jazz GAME THREAD

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:00 am

Another beatable trap team. We're learning how to play without LeBron, though game-to-game situations present different challenges and clearly show our weaknesses. If a JaVale/Chandler/Zubac rotation is reliable enough to float us in games vs. all-star bigs while our "death lineup" of young ballers puts in the work they are capable of, we're a slightly above .500 team at worst and maybe a .600 at best (without LeBron) - provided we pace ourselves and finish strong in the 4th quarter.

This entire season may hinge on what Jeannie & Co. are brewing up with another *cough*Pelicans* team, and that of course means moving some of our 1-year stars and a couple youngsters, so this year is not so much about finally getting back to the playoffs as it is assessing who stays and who goes.

lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:04 pm

Always tough playing in Utah. The Jazz have underachieved this season so far so this is winnable. I am shocked they are only 21-21.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:31 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Another beatable trap team. We're learning how to play without LeBron, though game-to-game situations present different challenges and clearly show our weaknesses. If a JaVale/Chandler/Zubac rotation is reliable enough to float us in games vs. all-star bigs while our "death lineup" of young ballers puts in the work they are capable of, we're a slightly above .500 team at worst and maybe a .600 at best (without LeBron) - provided we pace ourselves and finish strong in the 4th quarter.

This entire season may hinge on what Jeannie & Co. are brewing up with another *cough*Pelicans* team, and that of course means moving some of our 1-year stars and a couple youngsters, so this year is not so much about finally getting back to the playoffs as it is assessing who stays and who goes.

I'd hardly call this any kind of a "trap game." It's a solid, albeit underperforming Jazz team projected by some in the pre-season as high as #2 in the Western Conference and we're in their building, always a tough assignment for any NBA team.

We're 9 point 'dogs, so a win tonight is clearly an upset. LET'S DO IT! :slamdunk:
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:38 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
lakerevolution wrote:Another beatable trap team. We're learning how to play without LeBron, though game-to-game situations present different challenges and clearly show our weaknesses. If a JaVale/Chandler/Zubac rotation is reliable enough to float us in games vs. all-star bigs while our "death lineup" of young ballers puts in the work they are capable of, we're a slightly above .500 team at worst and maybe a .600 at best (without LeBron) - provided we pace ourselves and finish strong in the 4th quarter.

I'd hardly call this any kind of a "trap game." It's a solid, albeit underperforming Jazz team projected by some in the pre-season as high as #2 in the Western Conference and we're in their building, always a tough assignment for any NBA team.

We're 9 point 'dogs, so a win tonight is clearly an upset. LET'S DO IT! :slamdunk:

Yeah this will be tough. Like I Posted earlier I am surprised they are only 21-21. Playing them in Utah without LeBron will be tough.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:42 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:Yeah this will be tough. Like I Posted earlier I am surprised they are only 21-21. Playing them in Utah without LeBron will be tough.

I wrote my post before reading yours, 3Peat. We said the same thing, only you were much more succinct! :pullhair:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:55 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:Yeah this will be tough. Like I Posted earlier I am surprised they are only 21-21. Playing them in Utah without LeBron will be tough.

I wrote my post before reading yours, 3Peat. We said the same thing, only you were much more succinct! :pullhair:

No bigge. You probably didn't even see it, it was a 1 liner of a Post LOL. Yeah I would be real happy if we win this one, they are huge favorites like you said. Playing there is never easy.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:24 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:
KobeMVP888 wrote:

No bigge. You probably didn't even see it, it was a 1 liner of a Post LOL. Yeah I would be real happy if we win this one, they are huge favorites like you said. Playing there is never easy.

I say a trap game because they are suffering injuries to their depth and have obviously struggled, and if we can keep Mitch at bay we should win this.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:01 pm

lakerevolution wrote:I say a trap game because they are suffering injuries to their depth and have obviously struggled, and if we can keep Mitch at bay we should win this.

I agree that if we keep defending like we have the last two games, we can win this one. I'm guessing that Lonzo will be draped all over Donovan Mitchell. Even their third string pg is out, but they still have Mitch, Gobert, Ingles, Favors, Crowder, Korver and O'Neale. I'd rather be missing all of their bench players than LeBron and Rondo, which is why they're 9 point faves. Go Lakers!
KobeMVP888

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:17 pm

This fuckin' Royce O'Neale nobody always kills us. Wake the fuck up! (2+ martinis on board .. new, dangerous recipe) :D
KobeMVP888

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:18 pm

This game was too predictable. Oh well.
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:48 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:This fuckin' Royce O'Neale nobody always kills us. Wake the fuck up! (2+ martinis on board .. new, dangerous recipe) :D

If it's gin and not vodka, shoot it to me!

So . . how's that Ball on Mitchell defense working? Kuz can't get shut down like this. Hart with the football blindside ha ha he's such a pitbull. Luke's gotta get these guys to play with more professional tenacity. Nice to see Beasley getting his buckets. DEFENSE FELLAS!!!
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:04 pm

Scott Foster might be worse than Joey Crawford at his worst. What a cock sucking piece of shit! This game is a single digit game but for his assholism.
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:05 pm

Bullshit Harden call against Beasley . . he was talking smack about the refs and clearly said "FINE ME!!" KCP came over to play big brother.

BOY, was that back-and-forth at the end of the 3rd quarter UGLY. When we miss, we miss bad. Bad transition, bad passing, bad decisions, bad shots. We coulda been within 7 or 8 at the end of the quarter, instead we kick our own asses back to a 15 point deficit. I still don't understand what Luke is doing.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:07 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Bullshit Harden call against Beasley . . he was talking smack about the refs and clearly said "FINE ME!!" KCP came over to play big brother.

BOY, was that back-and-forth at the end of the 3rd quarter UGLY. When we miss, we miss bad. Bad transition, bad passing, bad decisions, bad shots. We coulda been within 7 or 8 at the end of the quarter, instead we kick our own asses back to a 15 point deficit. I still don't understand what Luke is doing.

Scott. Fucking. Foster.
KobeMVP888

Next

Return to LakerTalk