Game 31: 12/18/18 Lakers at Nyets GAME THREAD

Game 31: 12/18/18 Lakers at Nyets GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:29 am

(18-12) LAKERS at NYETS (13-18)

Tuesday, December 18, 2018, 4:30 PM PDT
Barclays Center • Brooklyn, NY

Referees: Marc Davis (#8), Courtney Kirkland (#61), Natalie Sago (#76)

Replay Center: Pat Fraher, Matt Myers, Josh Tiven

Line: Lakers -2

Local TV: Spectrum SportsNet National TV: NBA TV

GAME PREVIEW: LAKERS AT NYETS

by NBA.com

NEW YORK -- The Brooklyn Nets are on their longest winning streak in three-and-a-half years -- five games - and next up is a meeting with LeBron James.

Except for this time, it will not be in the colors of the Cleveland Cavaliers but the purple and gold of the Los Angeles Lakers.

James makes his latest visit to Brooklyn Tuesday night when the Lakers visit the Nets, who are on a five-game winning streak.

The Nets are on their longest streak since March 25-April 3, 2015, when they were coached by Lionel Hollins. The current run follows a frustrating eight-game skid that saw the Nets struggle to close out games.

The run began with an overtime win over the Toronto Raptors on Dec. 7, continued with road wins over the New York Knicks and Philadelphia 76ers before the Nets returned home to beat the Washington Wizards and Atlanta Hawks.

The Nets have scored at least 120 points in three straight games, getting enough offense despite allowing at least 54 percent shooting. They are the first team to do so since the Houston Rockets in 1987-88.

During the streak, the Nets are averaging 122.8 points, shooting 50.2 percent (217-of-432) from the floor, 40.4 percent (63-of-156) from 3-point range while averaging 27.4 assists and assisting on 63.1 percent of their baskets.

Those averages increased significantly when the Nets recorded a 144-127 win over the Atlanta Hawks on Sunday. In their latest win, Brooklyn shot 55.7 percent and totaled 34 assists.

"I think we're really sharing the ball," coach Kenny Atkinson said after the Nets scored their second-most points in a regulation game in franchise history. "Thirty-four assists two games in a row. That's high level, making the extra pass, good to great, playing with the pass, all the stuff we have been preaching since the beginning and then, obviously, that thing is going in. I would add to that, our drive game. We are an aggressive driving team and that opened stuff up for our shooting."

The Nets are also getting effective guard play out of D'Angelo Russell and Spencer Dinwiddie.

Russell scored 32 points Sunday and is averaging 18 points on 49.4 percent (38-of-77). Dinwiddie finished with 15 in his second game after signing a contract extension Friday and is averaging 24.6 points on 52 percent (39-of-75) shooting.

"I think just our commitment for wanting to see each other do better," Russell said. "Everybody is aggressive at the appropriate time but still wanting to make that extra pass for the next guy, still having your teammates' back on the defensive end, that rotation. We're making those plays."

The Nets played their last two games without Allen Crabbe, who is questionable with a right knee sprain. Rookie Rodions Kurucs started for Crabbe in those games and scored 11 points Sunday.

Los Angeles concludes a four-game road trip with its visit to Brooklyn and hopes to rebound from a 128-110 loss on Sunday in Washington. The Lakers trailed by as many as 27 points while James was held to a season-low 13 points on 5 of 16 shooting.

"We have to get some rest," James said after being held under 20 points for the fourth time this season. "We have two days so no excuses obviously with the game being on Tuesday. I watched the game before we played. They put up 140 something points, so we have to be ready to defend for 48 minutes."

Sunday's loss followed a 28-point win in Charlotte the previous night when James and Lonzo Ball both recorded triple-doubles but the Lakers could not produce an effective follow-up performance as they committed 22 turnovers.

Kenatvious Caldwell-Pope led the Lakers with 25 points while Kyle Kuzma added 20. Those showings occurred on a night when the starting backcourt of Ball and Josh Hart combined for 14 points on 6-of-21 shooting.

"Not a lot of good to take from that other than the lesson of you don't show up to play in the NBA you will not win," Lakers coach Luke Walton said. "Whether it was a back to back. I don't know it was. We did not have the proper energy to win an NBA game tonight."

The Lakers were without Brandon Ingram, who missed his sixth straight game with a sprained left ankle while JaVale McGee also did not play due to a last-minute illness.

Los Angeles has won 16 of the last 20 meetings, including eight of 12 since the Nets moved to Brooklyn in 2012.

http://www.nba.com/games/20181218/LALBKN#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 31: 12/18/18 Lakers at Nyets GAME THREAD

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:56 am

McGee is a must-have. The stats up above ^^ show that the Nyets are in somewhat of a groove and that Lonzo and Hart will need to be on their Harry Potter and grab the Snitch. Bron loves to feast on lesser East teams like this one, and with some rest I look for him to go off with a triple-double-like performance (something like 24/10/10) to glue together the offense and transition. This game comes down to defense, especially against a Brooklyn team that is shooting with confidence. Their passing and sharing has to be negated by getting into passing lanes, covering the camped-out 3-point shooters and most importantly controlling the ball. Time of possession, just like in the NFL. Whether we falter, or fail, or come out super-sharp and dominate . . it will be a statement on how Luke, Brian and LeBron are doing.

We can't really complain after 5 years of shitty performances from the entire Lakers franchise (sorry Kobe), and we have all been witnesses to LeBron somehow dragging mediocre teams past nigh-insurmountable odds to 53 consecutive Finals appearances . . so we have to be ok with the silly losses and bad beats against teams that have been allowed to feast on the Lakers for the last few years. I doubt anyone on this squad as currently assembled wants to fall from an early 4/5 seeding to a borderline 7/8 seed, so the motivation is there. Wins NOW mean EVERYTHING in March. Let's go get it.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:23 am

lakerevolution wrote:McGee is a must-have. The stats up above ^^ show that the Nyets are in somewhat of a groove and that Lonzo and Hart will need to be on their Harry Potter and grab the Snitch. Bron loves to feast on lesser East teams like this one, and with some rest I look for him to go off with a triple-double-like performance (something like 24/10/10) to glue together the offense and transition. This game comes down to defense, especially against a Brooklyn team that is shooting with confidence. Their passing and sharing has to be negated by getting into passing lanes, covering the camped-out 3-point shooters and most importantly controlling the ball. Time of possession, just like in the NFL. Whether we falter, or fail, or come out super-sharp and dominate . . it will be a statement on how Luke, Brian and LeBron are doing.

We can't really complain after 5 years of shitty performances from the entire Lakers franchise (sorry Kobe), and we have all been witnesses to LeBron somehow dragging mediocre teams past nigh-insurmountable odds to 53 consecutive Finals appearances . . so we have to be ok with the silly losses and bad beats against teams that have been allowed to feast on the Lakers for the last few years. I doubt anyone on this squad as currently assembled wants to fall from an early 4/5 seeding to a borderline 7/8 seed, so the motivation is there. Wins NOW mean EVERYTHING in March. Let's go get it.

They are on the road and have fallen into two bad habits: 1) getting blown out on the first game of a road trip and 2) getting creamed on the Sunday game of back-to-backers on the road. I hate those weekend back-to-backers!

The Lakers will win tonight; the Lonzo/D-Lo match-up will be interesting. Hopefully we will come home with a 2-2 road trip. If that happens, that's fine.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:26 am

Ranked 8th in ESPN's power rankings with a nice long homestand after this game. Putting wins in the column is crucial at this juncture :xfingers:
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:29 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Ranked 8th in ESPN's power rankings with a nice long homestand after this game. Putting wins in the column is crucial at this juncture :xfingers:

We have a friendly stretch of games with both Rondo and Ingram returning. Of course, reincorporating players is usually one step back before making the two steps forward.

KobeMVP888

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:20 pm

KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:58 pm

On a night when the Cavs beat the NBA's hottest team (the Pacers), the Hawks beat the Wizards (who just smashed us) and the Mavericks are hanging with the West's top-seeded Nuggets . . it makes sense that we lose to the fucking Nets.

Home Sweet Home.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:31 pm

lakerevolution wrote:On a night when the Cavs beat the NBA's hottest team (the Pacers), the Hawks beat the Wizards (who just smashed us) and the Mavericks are hanging with the West's top-seeded Nuggets . . it makes sense that we lose to the fucking Nets.

Home Sweet Home.

Yeah strange losses by both the Lakers and Pacers. Pacers were sleep walking in their game and played real poor. Regarding the Lakers loss it is just as surprising because we just loss one to the Bullets. It is a shame we wasted a great performance from Lonzo who was lights out on Offense tonight. Tonight is the best Lonzo has shot in his career = 9-16 FG's and 5-9 from 3.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:27 pm

Losses like these are going to keep us from 50 wins and drop us to a 7th or lower seed. Losses like these will also drive Magic an dem closer to pulling a big trade to get us permanently into the top 4 seeds. LeBron's years are not to waste.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:07 am

lakerevolution wrote:Losses like these are going to keep us from 50 wins and drop us to a 7th or lower seed. Losses like these will also drive Magic an dem closer to pulling a big trade to get us permanently into the top 4 seeds. LeBron's years are not to waste.

I agree. The lid was on the rim both from the perimeter and, of course, at the line. Despite LeBron's ridiculous stat line, he can't afford to miss all those free throws. Josh Hart has ht a bit of a wall and for the life of me I don't understand why KCP hasn't been starting, as he is clearly more effective as a starter, and why Hart hasn't been coming off the bench, as he is a better bench player. Once the Lakers readjust when Rondo and Ingram return and we're (knock on wood) healthy again, we need to put together a sizzling a win streak. Magic Johnson said before the season that this team should hit its stride by January. Tick tock.
KobeMVP888

Postby Julius Russell » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:07 pm

Nets won 7 in a row. I think we think we are better than we are.
Down 2 starters and our 6th man on the road to a hot team. Played uneven and lost by 5.

We are just fine
Julius Russell

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:54 pm

Julius Russell wrote:Nets won 7 in a row. I think we think we are better than we are.
Down 2 starters and our 6th man on the road to a hot team. Played uneven and lost by 5.

We are just fine

Excuses excuses but . . you're right. No Ingram no Rondo -- these two keep missing games and we're going to have to get their mommas involved.
lakerevolution

Return to LakerTalk