2018-19 Los Angeles Lakers First Trimester Grades

2018-19 Los Angeles Lakers First Trimester Grades

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:10 pm

It's SHOWTIME, PART II ... so let's get started.

THE FRONT OFFICE

Obviously Magic and Rob won the summer with the signing of LeBron James, so despite some of the head scratching moves like Lance, Beaz, Rondo, McGee and letting Randle go and not re-signing Brook Lopez, the question is how did they do over the first third of the season, at least from our vantage point. This requires a very simple answer: Tyson Chandler. Since his arrival, the Lakers are 13-4 and it does not seem to be coincidental whatsoever. There were other back up centers out there, like Joakim Noah, or they could have done nothing, but after the infamous meeting with Luke Walton after we got out of the gates 2-5, this is who they got and it turned out to be nothing short of genius! Also, kudos for remaining patient with Luke and everything else that goes with waiting for a new team to gel. And with respect to the summer moves, it appears that their vision is coming into focus. The chemistry on defense is coming together both on the perimeter and at the rim, the up tempo offense is clicking, threes are starting to drop and the youngsters are starting to mesh well with LeBron and even Svi is starting to come around. Those damn free throws though. Oh well, you can’t have everything.

Grade: A

LUKE AND THE COACHING STAFF

True to form, Laker Nation was all over Luke Walton after the slow start. EVERYONE knew that Luke had a very difficult job figuring out the rotations with the mish mosh of free agents who were signed and also letting Randle and Brook Lopez go. This was no easy task. Regardless, Lakers’ fans were going berserk after the 2-5 start, the team looked like a lottery team again, and Magic called a meeting with Luke that leaked to the press that made it sound like Luke was on double secret probation. What also leaked was that Luke demanded a back up center during that meeting. Since then, the Lakers are 15-5 and Luke seems to have already found the right combinations to make for more improved chemistry. There have been some things about the rotations that I don’t understand, which includes the starting lineup of Javale-Kuz-LeBron-BI-Lonzo. I think that when BI returns, he should be our 6th man to create a more balanced second unit, even if we acquire Trevor Ariza in a KCP deal. Regardless, this team has truly started to glue together over the past couple of weeks and all the credit in the world must be given to Luke and his staff.

Grade: B+

THE TRAINING STAFF

People who can seriously form opinions about MARCO NUNEZ and his training staff obviously pull those opinions right out of their collective asses.

LEBRON JAMES

There’s nothing to be said here. Who cares if he misses free throws. It’s not like we didn’t know that about him anyway. He’s having another MVP season. He’s clearly having a ton of fun, too! I truly believe that he is happier playing with unselfish kids who don’t need to be fed and who he can help develop at this point in his career and these kids are sponges who want to give right back to LeBron. Yes, if we’re going to compete for an NBA championship, he will need another superstar to climb that mountain, but damn is he great. Not only that, I’m bonding with him!

Grade: A+

THE CENTERS

How can you separate them? JAVALE MCGEE is easily the most pleasant surprise of the free agent signings and TYSON CHANDLER glued this whole damn team together like immediately upon his arrival! Talk about the perfect two headed monster!!! It makes me forgive Magic for not re-signing Randle and Lopez.

Grade: A

THE OTHER MEME TEAMERS

LANCE STEPHENSON has always made me cringe and he still makes me cringe. For a guy who is considered to be a playmaker, he sure likes making plays for himself! He seems to be a popular locker room guy and he serves a purpose when we get injuries, but that’s about it. He is only averaging 14.4 mpg and I think his value will surface at playoff time. Let’s face it, you never know what you are going to get from him from game to game. I’ll be generous here though, because I expected even less out of him.

Grade: C+

MICHAEL BEASLEY didn’t crack the rotation until recently and, other than one good game, has been a bust. He’s been away from the team because a family member is apparently very ill, but we haven’t missed him when he’s gone. He's useless.

Grade: D-

RAJON RONDO was a guy who I had high expectations for given his championship mettle and his through the roof basketball IQ. In my opinion, he hasn’t disappointed, but on the flip side we are doing just fine without him. Come playoff time, he will be the second most important player on the team. I love what he brings and look forward to his return.

Grade: B+

THE WEIRD MISFIT

Much like Kuz, KENTAVIUS CALDWELL-POPE has taken time to adjust to the new LeBrons, but has played inspired basketball lately despite his reduced minutes and relegation to the bench. I don’t think there’s any question that he will be traded, if not now for Ariza, then at some point before the trade deadline. It’s too bad because I’m a KCP fan. He plays solid perimeter defense and is starting to hit his threes at a higher percentage. However, he sucked so bad until recently that his overall grade has to suffer. He's just a weird misfit. Hell, he even hits his free throws.

Grade: C

THE YOUNG CORE

BRANDON INGRAM earned himself a stupid 4 game suspension early in the season and now has gone down with an injury. Of all the young players, he has had the most difficult time blending with LeBron, mainly because he needs the ball in his hands to truly be effective. This is why I think he should come off the bench and Josh Hart should start. Hart doesn’t need the ball in his hands and spaces the floor better that Ingram. Having a clear pecking order of LeBron, Kuz, Hart, JaVale, Lonzo for scoring purposes simply makes more sense and while BI causes all kinds of havoc for shooting guards on defense, Hart is solid enough. I’m disappointed in BI this season; he misses too many gimmes, doesn’t take enough threes and misses free throws. With his stroke, he should be shooting 85% from the line. He’s frustrating, but still loaded with potential, so he should be our Ginobili.

Grade: C-

JOSH HART has been solid. Yes, he probably should have sat out a few games when he sprained his ankle, but who doesn’t love a Mamba mentality? I think Luke asks a bit much of him defensively because he literally guards all 5 positions. Frankly, he’s more effective against bigs than wings. No wonder his teammates call him “Barkley.” Also, I think his three point shooting and scoring in general could have been better, but I do think he meshes well with LeBron.

Grade: B-

KYLE KUZMA has been a tale of two tapes, but like a fine wine keeps improving with each passing game. He is having every bit as good a season as Jayson Tatum and is clearly LeBron’s Robin at this point. Every aspect of his game is solid, including his ever improving defense. Because of his relatively slow start, I can’t give him the overall grade that he deserves recently, but still I am tickled with joy about him.

Grade: A-

LONZO BALL represents the Good, Bad and the Ugly. The Good is GREAT, but the Bad is really UGLY. Those who Like him (like me) LOVE him, and those who don't like him (like Rev) tend to focus on all the UGLINESS of his game (but profess patience at the same time). No, fuck that. The pro-Zos view him as indispensable because of the way he affects both ends of the floor and the anti-Zos want him traded for a point guard who can shoot the lights out. One thing is certain; he learned how to play with LeBron James quicker than anyone else. I'm still being strict with his grade because he can be and will be so much better.

Grade: C+

IVICA ZUBAC is stuck in Never-Never Land and pretty soon he may never play another NBA game because he is useless.

Grade: F

THE ROOKIES

SVI MYKHAILIUK is finally looking more comfortable but is still a huge work in progress, but at the #47 pick why wouldn’t he be? Because he was anointed “the steal of the draft” before playing one NBA game? I still don’t know if he is an NBA rotation player or the next Anthony Brown. He has played enough to warrant a grade though.

Grade: C-

MORITZ WAGNER hasn’t played enough to warrant a grade.

Grade: Incomplete

ISAAC BONGA is getting rave reviews with his progress on the South Bay Lakers, but hasn’t played enough on the varsity team to earn a grade.

TWO (WAY) AND A HALF MEN

JOHNATHAN WILLIAMS served a purpose for a few games until we acquired Tyson Chandler. For an undrafted rookie, he’s not a bad little role player.

Grade: B-

As for ALEX CARUSO, I think he was up on the varsity and played like shit for a few minutes in a game or two, right? I do know that he’s been shitty on the G League team this season. He’ll be gone soon.

OVERALL TEAM GRADE

I love the progress and can see a ton of room for growth. The team aggravated the living shit out of me until about 7 games ago, but now that the body of work and progress (process?) is coming into focus, I'm thrilled! Who knows how these guys will respond in the playoffs, but I’m excited as hell and happy with the 17-10 record, even though it supposedly isn't the record, but how we play that's important. We might wind up winning between 50 – 57 games!

Grade: B
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: 2018-19 Los Angeles Lakers First Trimester Grades

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:49 pm

All fair grades. I'm more critical of Lonzo just because his hype, onboarding and results (so far) have been subpar given the skills he apparently still needs to grow into. He may be a Dwight who never develops into what we perceive he can become, or he may gradually get more powerful, savvy and sly at his craft. Will he ever be one-tenth as bold as his father? Will he "lead the Lakers to a championship" as old Daddy Ball predicted? I love his hustle, though he still looks like The Boy In The Bubble sometimes. If he could get his scoring up into the low teens, run the point aggressively for stretches, and just keep striving to show some kind of leadership (which just may not be his comfort zone), then I'm good with him, but if he doesn't level up and come more into his own by the middle of next season, he'll officially be a bust and not a player we need while pursuing #17.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:23 pm

lakerevolution wrote:All fair grades. I'm more critical of Lonzo just because his hype, onboarding and results (so far) have been subpar given the skills he apparently still needs to grow into. He may be a Dwight who never develops into what we perceive he can become, or he may gradually get more powerful, savvy and sly at his craft. Will he ever be one-tenth as bold as his father? Will he "lead the Lakers to a championship" as old Daddy Ball predicted? I love his hustle, though he still looks like The Boy In The Bubble sometimes. If he could get his scoring up into the low teens, run the point aggressively for stretches, and just keep striving to show some kind of leadership (which just may not be his comfort zone), then I'm good with him, but if he doesn't level up and come more into his own by the middle of next season, he'll officially be a bust and not a player we need while pursuing #17.

Lonzo Ball is incredibly sly and savvy at his craft, especially for a 21 year old who is learning how to co-exist with the high usage MEGAstar who is LeBron James. Of the perimeter players, he sets the best screens for LeBron and the two have already developed a nice screen-roll chemistry between them. If it wasn't for Lonzo's really ugly finishes, his funky non mid-range game and his bizarre looking shot, there would be no discussion here. He still owns a superb assist to turnover ratio, remains one of the best rebounding point guards in basketball and is arguably the best defensive point guard in the NBA. Let me repeat that: HE IS ARGUABLY THE BEST DEFENSIVE POINT GUARD IN THE NBA. Others in that discussion are old CP3, Kyle Lowry, Marcus Smart, Russell Westbrrok and perhaps I'm missing a few, but NONE of them have his length and instincts. He is literally all over the court on defense and usually in the right position. The Lakers don't need him to score and the rest of his game is pretty much stellar.

Here are some numbers that reflect his superlative defense:

I love this one:

I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:14 pm

" . . really ugly finishes, funky non mid-range game and bizarre looking shot . . remains one of the best rebounding point guards in basketball (?) and is arguably the best defensive point guard in the NBA (?). Let me repeat that: HE IS ARGUABLY THE BEST DEFENSIVE POINT GUARD IN THE NBA. Others in that discussion are old CP3, Kyle Lowry, Marcus Smart, Russell Westbrrok and perhaps I'm missing a few, but NONE of them have his length and instincts. He is literally all over the court on defense and usually in the right position. The Lakers don't need him to score . ."

Ha ha . . . so on the one hand we're comparing him to POINT GUARDS WHO SCORE AND GET TRIPLE DOUBLES, and on the other we're praising his "defense for a point guard". Laughable. He's neither Wade nor Bosh nor Kevin Love nor Rondo nor Delladova nor J.R. Smith nor Whiteside nor Korver or any other PG. He's a POINT GUARD. I don't remember hearing about his stellar point guard defense at UCLA - he just scored a lot and helped win games, that was his hype. This Chef Curry era. So if we draft a dish-first PG who can't get buckets and is too timid to bang with grown men, what do we have? A bust. If we wanted a defensive PG we should have drafted Derek Fisher. But he's coaching the LA Sparks now so he's not available. God I hate UCLA :waaaaa:
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:28 pm

lakerevolution wrote: " . . really ugly finishes, funky non mid-range game and bizarre looking shot . . remains one of the best rebounding point guards in basketball (?) and is arguably the best defensive point guard in the NBA (?). Let me repeat that: HE IS ARGUABLY THE BEST DEFENSIVE POINT GUARD IN THE NBA. Others in that discussion are old CP3, Kyle Lowry, Marcus Smart, Russell Westbrrok and perhaps I'm missing a few, but NONE of them have his length and instincts. He is literally all over the court on defense and usually in the right position. The Lakers don't need him to score . ."

Ha ha . . . so on the one hand we're comparing him to POINT GUARDS WHO SCORE AND GET TRIPLE DOUBLES, and on the other we're praising his "defense for a point guard". Laughable. He's neither Wade nor Bosh nor Kevin Love nor Rondo nor Delladova nor J.R. Smith nor Whiteside nor Korver or any other PG. He's a POINT GUARD. I don't remember hearing about his stellar point guard defense at UCLA - he just scored a lot and helped win games, that was his hype. This Chef Curry era. So if we draft a dish-first PG who can't get buckets and is too timid to bang with grown men, what do we have? A bust. If we wanted a defensive PG we should have drafted Derek Fisher. But he's coaching the LA Sparks now so he's not available. God I hate UCLA :waaaaa:

I love what Lonzo brings to the Lakers. I believe he is a unique and outstanding, potentially transcendent, talent. Laughable? Nah. He's a winner.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:21 pm

Great thread, great breakdown Ken. Some of your best work and hard for me to really debate or nitpick any of it :rthup: . Rev aren't you a little a hard on the (Beaver), I mean Lonzo :waaaaa: . With LeBron on the team I am ok with Lonzo's role for now = which is playing Great Perimeter Defense, leading the fast break with smart passes, and Rebounding well. I am a little disappointed in BI's play this year but he still has the talent to improve. Kuz is clearly our 2nd best player IMO behind LeBron. We aren't using Lance much, he was a huge important role player with Indy but as of now it is tough to complain with Luke's rotations over the last 20 games going 15-5. I am really pleased with our Center play, Chandler and McGee have been a huge key to our success! Like you Ken, I give the Lakers a B so far for overall grade.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:21 am

Lonzo WITH LEBRON is a cop-out. He should be Lonzo without LeBron or . . again, he's a bust. I get loving him. But let's be real -- he's not Kuz, Ingram or Hart. Or Randle. BigBenchBallerBrand.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:15 am

lakerevolution wrote:Lonzo WITH LEBRON is a cop-out. He should be Lonzo without LeBron or . . again, he's a bust. I get loving him. But let's be real -- he's not Kuz, Ingram or Hart. Or Randle. BigBenchBallerBrand.

1) We already have a triple-double machine on the Lakers with one of the highest usage rates in the league, so Lonzo is playing the role he's assigned to accommodate him. Lonzo with LeBron is REALITY. Besides, the Lakers were 11-19 without Lonzo in the lineup last season and 24-28 with him in the lineup last season. When he's out we miss him more than we miss any of the other members of the young core. Plus he essentially missed the summer, so he still has some catching up to do.

2) Lonzo is actually quite capable of triple-doubles.

3) With stopping the ball and defense critical to championship success, how can anyone dismiss Zo's level of play at that end because he was supposed to be something else (to them)?

4) What's more important, 21 year old Lonzo who hasn't even played 82 NBA games taking control of the team or winning and having him develop at the same time?

5) Shouldn't this discussion be on "The Lonzo-est Yard" thread? :shrug:
KobeMVP888

Return to LakerTalk