Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:49 am

(3-18)Image at Image(8-12)

Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 5:00 PM PDT
Target Center, Minneapolis, MN

Referees: Tom Washington, Eli Roe, Scott Wall

Line: Wolves -6

GAME PREVIEW: LAKERS AT TIMBERWOLVES

By KEVIN MASSOTH

The Los Angeles Lakers' longest road trip of the season might be the start of Kobe Bryant's farewell tour, but coach Byron Scott has used it as a chance to mold some of his youngest players.

The last-place Lakers will continue to build through their biggest star's goodbye on Wednesday night when they visit the Minnesota Timberwolves, who are experiencing their own growing pains.

Bryant announced his plans to retire following this season just before an eight-game, 12-day trip to open December. While the window on Bryant's 20-year career closes with adoration from opposing fans showering in, the Lakers (3-18) have opened the trip 1-4.

Their third straight loss was Monday's 102-93 defeat in Toronto, and while Bryant scored a team-high 21 points, second-year forward Julius Randle and rookie point guard D'Angelo Russell made their contributions from the bench.

Randle, drafted seventh in 2014, and Russell, this year's second overall pick, started the first 20 games but were replaced by Larry Nance Jr. and Lou Williams, respectively.

"Those two still have to understand how to play this game and it's a tough game," Scott said. "They're young, and they're a big part of our future, no doubt about that, but I still think at this point of their career you can still learn some things by sitting there watching as well."

The change brought a similar result as Los Angeles lost for the 10th time in 11 games. Russell finished with nine points on 4-of-12 shooting. Randle fared better with 15 points and 11 rebounds, the same numbers he held in Sunday's 111-91 loss at Detroit.

Randle also went for 15 and 11 in a season-opening 112-111 loss to Minnesota, which opened with four wins in six games. But the Timberwolves (8-12) are mired in their second four-game losing streak since, the most recent one following three victories in a row.

Minnesota has found ways to lose late while dropping its four games by 21 points combined, the last three to open a four-game homestand.

That was the case again in Monday's 110-106 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers. Zach LaVine scored six of his 21 points during an 8-2 run for a 98-95 lead with a minute to play, but the Clippers regained the lead eight seconds later and sealed the game at the free-throw line.

The Timberwolves' last eight losses and 10 of 12 on the season have come by 10 points or fewer. Seven of those have come at Target Center, where Minnesota is 2-9.

"This year, we're disappointed with our record at home, but we've been in every game," interim coach Sam Mitchell said. "I ask my guys after every game, if one of them learns something... then the loss was worth it because they grew tonight."

LaVine isn't sure he agrees.

"I'd rather not learn something and get the win," he said.

Andrew Wiggins struggled to a season-low eight points on 3-of-15 shooting against the Clippers. He has made 9 of 30 shots in his last two games.

Bryant scored 24 in the season opener at Staples Center on 24 shots, while Williams added 21. Ricky Rubio finished with 28 points and 14 assists for Minnesota.

The Lakers won the previous three meetings in this series, including two at Target Center.

http://www.nba.com/games/20151209/LALMIN/gameinfo.html
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Gm 22: Lakers at Timberwolves GAME THREAD

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:59 am

3Peat checking in. The Wolves have a nice foundation brewing, Wiggins is going to be a Top 10 player in the league by next season IMO. Towns possibly a Top 20 although I think they made a mistake and should've took Okafor but Towns is no joke. Regarding us, so far we have shown 0 chemistry through 21 games. Russell hasn't improved at all from Game 1 to 21 (not a knock on him but just speaking the truth), Randle has though so that is promising. Clarkson is what he is, a Good player but not Very Good or Great but he is Good. I think at this point we are secretly tanking to try and keep our Top 3 pick. Our management or Byron would never admit it but I think we are because every game is just about Kobe chucking up over 20 shots a game and his farewell tour. Kobe is a Top 5 player of all-time but his play and what we are doing isn't helping Russell develop at all. Really just truly horrendous Basketball we are watching and yes I have patience before I get ripped but when you don't see improvement in any area's through 21 games which is a 4th of the season other than Randle's play that is very frustrating. Sorry 3-18 is inexcusable no matter what is said in here especially when your #2 pick isn't improving at all. With the players we have as in Kobe, Randle, Clarkson, Lou, Russell, and Hibbert we should at least have 6 or 7 wins by now and showing signs of improving. I can see 7-14 but 3-18 shows me we are in Tank Mode! I wont even do my normal grading of each player in here through the 1st 4th of the season because I don't want people thinking I am negative. You guys don't want to read that stuff nor do I want to Post it. Even TrueFan Sam would be ripping our play to no end and he was Mr Positive 99% of the time. I break a season down into 4 stages, first 21, next 20, next 21, last 20. Lets just say these first 21 games haven't been pleasant!
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:55 am

3Peat

I disagree about Russell. I think he has shown improvement and I also think that getting him and Randle away from Kobe and having them come off the bench to learn how to play together without the presence of Kobe intimidating them was a smart move. Russell's main problems are his age/undeveloped body and the fact that he is tentative. He takes way too long waiting for things to develop within the "offense." It reminds me of a young, first year QB learning how to read NFL defenses. Both of these things translate into massive upside. As for Randle, he also is playing like the wild, out of control rookie that he is, but his potential is obvious and very exciting. As for Clarkson, I agree and I also think that he could be excellent trade bait.

My preseason projection for 25 wins was obviously a bit ambitious. This is a 15 win team at best.

And that's fine.

Oh, and Towns was the right call for Minny unless they opted for Porzingus. We took a risk with Russell, but we should have taken the bigger risk with Porzingus. Okafor may or may not be a difference maker in this league. Who knows.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:09 pm

Checking in for win #4!!! Go team-that-used-to-play-in-Minneapolis, beat that-team-who-still-plays-in-Minneapolis!!!
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:16 pm

Yeah Ken . . the success of the Porzingis pick proves that 1) Phil is still a wizard and that 2) Knicks fans are some of the lousiest fans in pro sports.
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:12 pm

That Muslim Shabazz Muhammad is terrorizing us!!! Somebody better play the lpmua6 card on him but quick!
lakerevolution

Postby Lakers4Life » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:51 pm

I get it Rev!!
Lakers4Life

Postby Lakers4Life » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:52 pm

87 to 86 late in the 4th......So you're saying that we have a chance!
Lakers4Life

Postby Lakers4Life » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:56 pm

Nick Young is taking some shots
Lakers4Life

Postby Lakers4Life » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:57 pm

Where's KG?
Lakers4Life

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:58 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:3Peat

I disagree about Russell. I think he has shown improvement and I also think that getting him and Randle away from Kobe and having them come off the bench to learn how to play together without the presence of Kobe intimidating them was a smart move. Russell's main problems are his age/undeveloped body and the fact that he is tentative. He takes way too long waiting for things to develop within the "offense." It reminds me of a young, first year QB learning how to read NFL defenses. Both of these things translate into massive upside. As for Randle, he also is playing like the wild, out of control rookie that he is, but his potential is obvious and very exciting. As for Clarkson, I agree and I also think that he could be excellent trade bait.

My preseason projection for 25 wins was obviously a bit ambitious. This is a 15 win team at best.

And that's fine.

Oh, and Towns was the right call for Minny unless they opted for Porzingus. We took a risk with Russell, but we should have taken the bigger risk with Porzingus. Okafor may or may not be a difference maker in this league. Who knows.

Yeah Porzingus has been a surprise. I guess Phil knew what he was doing there. Regarding Okafor, he has got into a little trouble but really the incident that took place outside that nightclub wasn't his fault. It was self defense and I honestly think he is on the wrong team and in the wrong environment. This Philly team is probably the worst team in the history of Basketball and that city is full of assholes. Regarding tonight's game, so far we hanging tough only down 84-81 and Russell has looked pretty Good. Who knows maybe we will win one? I apologize for the slightly negative rant but I just want to see our young guys develop and I want to win. At this point I agree with you, we will probably be lucky to win 20 games. I guess me picking us to go .500 every season needs to stop until we actually show major improvement and crack the 30 win mark with this core of players.
3Peatkb24

Postby Lakers4Life » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:01 pm

This has turned into a Nick Young & Kevin Martin show
Lakers4Life

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:02 pm

Don't look now but we are up 99-94! It seems like everytime I have a good rant we win. Still 6 minutes left though.
3Peatkb24

Postby Lakers4Life » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:02 pm

There's guys in the D-League better than Sacre. Why is he in there?
Lakers4Life

Postby Lakers4Life » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:03 pm

99-99
Lakers4Life

Next

Return to LakerTalk