Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:06 am

(3-16)Image at Image(11-9)

Sunday, December 6, 2015, 3:00 PM PDT
Palace Of Auburn Hills, Detroit, MI

Referees: Scott Foster, Nick Buchert, Kevin Cutler

Line: Pistons -9

GAME PREVIEW: LAKERS AT PISTONS

By Mike Bresnahan, LA Times

To know Kobe Bryant is to understand one thing. He patterned his basketball career after Michael Jordan, with one major exception — he wanted to top Jordan in everything, primarily NBA championships.

It looked good for Bryant after the Lakers won a second consecutive title in 2010. He had five rings at age 31, with help that year from Pau Gasol's finesse, Lamar Odom's versatility, Derek Fisher's tranquillity and Metta World Peace's toughness.

A sixth never came for Bryant. He'll finish with one fewer championship than Jordan.

He says he's OK with it now, seemingly resigned to coming up a little short.

"Listen, I worked as hard as I [expletive] possibly could. I did everything I could," Bryant said Saturday. "I'm fine with that."

He says it calmly, not with eyes ablaze. There's nothing left to prove.

It doesn't, however, mean Bryant has forgotten the NBA Finals he lost.

There was the 39-point demolition the Boston Celtics handed the Lakers in the clinching Game 6 of the 2008 Finals. More on that later this month, when Bryant visits TD Garden for the final time.

There was also that unsettling loss to the Detroit Pistons in the 2004 Finals, a five-game series that easily could have been a sweep. It's a theme Bryant would rather forget as he makes his last trip to the Palace for Sunday's game.

The Lakers had Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal at the time, the unstoppable inside-out tandem that had already taken three of the last four championships. They had acquired Karl Malone and Gary Payton. They also had Phil Jackson, on his way to becoming the best coach in NBA history.

But they didn't have the raw energy of the Pistons, whose defense and rebounding carried the day. Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace did the tough work down low. Chauncey Billups and Richard Hamilton couldn't be stopped in the backcourt.

"It still eats at me. It absolutely does," Bryant said of that series. "And I'm upset that I gave Richard Hamilton something to brag about, because up until that point, he never beat me. And that just kills me."

Hamilton, like Bryant, was a Philadelphia prep star. Hamilton's shooting was part of the reason the Lakers lost. So was the Pistons' defense.

"They pressured us and we weren't ready to go deep into our offense," Bryant said. "The stuff that wins us championships is being able to go into our 'automatics.' We just weren't prepared to do it and they kicked our...."

A deeper look would reveal a broken team. O'Neal and Bryant were continually bickering, hastening O'Neal's departure that summer in a trade with Miami. Jackson had health issues and became, to his eternal chagrin, less of a daily presence that season.

The Lakers needed Bryant's late-game heroics just to forge a tie after the first two games at Staples Center. The Pistons drubbed them the next three games by an average of 14 points.

"You see teams with so much firepower. Talent doesn't get it done," Bryant said. "You've got to be able to execute."

The common belief among Lakers followers is that Malone's health cost the Lakers that series. He was slowed by a knee injury, forcing Jackson to go with Slava Medvedenko at power forward. He was no Malone.

Malone would not have helped, in Bryant's opinion.

"I don't think it would have made much of a difference," Bryant said. "We didn't know how to run the offense. We didn't understand when to backdoor step, when to run a blind pig, when to run a reverse action.… We didn't understand any of that.

"Throughout the year, we weren't religious about how we executed our offense. We tried to rely on talent a lot more than the offense itself. We managed to pull a rabbit out of a hat and beat San Antonio. We were down 0-2 [in the conference semifinals]. But it caught up to us."

Bryant these days

Bryant has been reduced to lofting hordes of three-point shots in games, his high-flying days long gone. He's aware of it.

"There's stuff that you're used to doing — I'm just going to go by this guy. You're, like, 'Wait a minute. No, I can't do that. I'm just going to back him down'" in the post, Bryant said. "Your mind can see certain things going on. In the past, one step, you get there. Now it's not the case. You've got to figure out a new way to get to the same spot. It's crazy."

Bryant, though, hasn't quite figured out how to score with accuracy in his final season. He is shooting 30.5% overall, 22% from three-point range.

He's trying to keep his legs as fresh as he can. There's a lot of mileage there, obviously.

When the Lakers played Washington on Wednesday, Bryant, 37, started jumping up and down next to the bench, doing some leg kicks to try to stay warm. He compared it to some of Jim Carrey's overzealous exercise activities in the movie "Cable Guy."

Bryant has to spend a long time getting loose on game days. This is new for him.

"I've got to stretch to touch the backboard," he said.

He never had to stretch when he was younger.

"Zero. I'd come into the gym and windmill [dunk]," he said. "It was like, nothing. I'd literally ... wake up, out of bed and do 360s. How crazy is that?"

Nance injury

An MRI exam revealed swelling in the right knee of rookie power forward Larry Nance Jr. He was listed as questionable for Sunday's game. Atlanta Hawks forward Paul Millsap accidentally rolled into Nance near the end of the Lakers' 100-87 loss Friday to Atlanta.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la ... story.html
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Gm 20: Lakers at Pistons GAME THREAD

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:53 am

3Peat checking in. Not much to say when you are 3-16. Just have to enjoy the Kobe Fair Well Tour at this point and hope the young guys in Russell and Randle continue to improve.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:41 pm

Checking in for solid play, some semblance of learning and growth, and MORE THAN 8 POINTS FROM HIBBERT!!! :pullhair:

Go Lakers.
lakerevolution

Postby Lakers4Life » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:00 pm

Geux Lacquers!!
Lakers4Life

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:00 pm

3-17 through 20 games. OUCH!
3Peatkb24

Postby NuggetsCountry » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:26 am

I didn't watch the game, but see Kobe was playing sick, so no need to watch it. I wish he would just sit games like that out!! I hate what this is doing to his legacy to idiots who are factoring in this season to his body of work. He has obviously given up without any intention/ability of playing like Kobe-GOAT, again. This premise of playing without distraction is stupid. He should just accept a Kareem-like tour of the NBA with ceremonies and all, and just not play anymore. I mean everyone knows he is playing wounded and just teeing off on him. Pathetic.

I'll keep him on my FBB team, just for sentimental reasons, even though he costs me several categories each week.
Image :yeahthat:
NuggetsCountry
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 7

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:48 pm

NuggetsCountry wrote:I didn't watch the game, but see Kobe was playing sick, so no need to watch it. I wish he would just sit games like that out!! I hate what this is doing to his legacy to idiots who are factoring in this season to his body of work. He has obviously given up without any intention/ability of playing like Kobe-GOAT, again. This premise of playing without distraction is stupid. He should just accept a Kareem-like tour of the NBA with ceremonies and all, and just not play anymore. I mean everyone knows he is playing wounded and just teeing off on him. Pathetic.

I'll keep him on my FBB team, just for sentimental reasons, even though he costs me several categories each week.

I don't factor his overall legacy in regarding this season. To me this season should have nothing to do with his overall ranking. He is just chucking up shots for the hell of it because he knows it's his last season and we stink as a team anyway. I have him in my 5 as Charles Barkley would say! Jordan, Magic, Kareem, Wilt, and Kobe are my 5.
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk