Preseason Game 6: 10/12/18 Lakers at Warriors GAME THREAD

Preseason Game 6: 10/12/18 Lakers at Warriors GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:32 am

(2-3) LAKERS at WARRIORS (1-3)

Friday, October 12, 2018 7:30 PM PDT
SAP Center, San Jose, CA

Referees: James Williams (#60), Kevin Cutler (#34), Justin Van Duyne (#64)

Replay Center: Brent Barnaky, Curtis Blair, Marat Kogut

Line: Warriors -8

National TV: ESPN2 Local TV: Spectrum SportsNet

GAME PREVIEW: LAKERS AT WARRIORS

by Mike Trudell, nba.com

What do you need to know ahead of L.A.’s final preseason game? Worry not! We’ve got you covered:

1) HEALTH ABOVE ALL ELSE

After a tour de force first half performance that had to eclipse what Jimmy Butler was said to do at Wolves practice on Wednesday, LeBron James – who posted 15 points, 10 boards, five assists, one steal and (at least) two absurd highlight plays – sat and watched his young teammates carry out a win over Golden State. Then he fielded a postgame question about what he wanted the team to accomplish in Friday’s preseason finale.

“Health,” said the King before literally knocking on his wood locker. “I don’t care if we turn the ball over a thousand times on Friday, I want everybody to come out healthy. I know Luke is not gonna like that, but everybody come out healthy, we’re ready for next Thursday that’s all that matters.”

With an off day on Thursday as the team traveled from Vegas to San Jose, Luke Walton won’t address reporters until Friday morning’s shootaround, where he might speak to his planned minutes distribution. Towards LeBron’s point, one can make a valid argument for resting key players for the Oct. 18 season opener in Portland. On the flip side, Wednesday’s win was the first time Walton actually had his entire rotation to call upon, and thus their first chance to build a bit of on-court cohesion and chemistry. That was fleeting for much of the past two weeks due to Lonzo Ball’s ramping up day by day until he played and LeBron’s (smart) playing only in the first half of four games and resting in Anaheim.

Coaches and players are often quick to point out that there’s a fine line between good rest and going overboard. For example, the best way to avoid any type of injury or tweak would be to … not actually play basketball at all. But that wouldn’t exactly work for teams trying to get in actual game shape for the regular season, though, would it? Josh Hart, in winning his argument with the coaches and front office to play in every summer league game in his second year, basically said that if he got hurt playing basketball, so be it. And yet it’s a sliding scale for young players to vets. LeBron and Rondo know exactly how much or little they need to play to get their bodies ready. Young players are still figuring all that out.

2) LONZO’S BACK!!!

No breaking news here. You watched the game on Wednesday, or at least checked the box score and noticed that Lonzo played 23 minutes to score seven points (3 of 5 FG’s), grab four boards, collect two assists and swipe four steals.

But the important point: despite his literally being unable to play a single game of 1-on-1, let alone 3-on-3 or 5-on-5 over the summer, or even do much shooting due to the sore knee that he eventually had scoped in July, Lonzo was doing all of the Lonzo things that made him have a better rookie season than many remember. He was predictably rusty to start the game, but picked it up considerably as early as the second quarter, and kept rolling into the second half.

After the game, he told me on the Spectrum SportsNet broadcast that his knee felt “100 percent,” and that the only thing he noticed was a bit of heavy breathing in the first quarter, before he settled back into game speed. The knee hasn’t bothered him at all throughout preseason. He’s jumping just as high, running just as fast as last season, and even used his 10-15 pounds of added muscle to bump Klay Thompson off on a drive before finishing at the rim.

Let’s ask LeBron.

“I thought those first few minutes was definitely rough on his wind getting back in the game situation,” said James. “But he settled in. His ability to see the floor, his ability to push the ball and his athleticism which you seen on the lob catch from myself and then defensively some very, very quick hands. It was great to have him back on the floor.”

LeBron’s been very supportive of Ball going back to last year and their infamous postgame greeting at midcourt in Cleveland, and that’s continued in L.A., including a dedicated Instagram post in which ‘Bron called Lonzo a “Young King,” which appears to be reserved for a few of his favorites.

Lonzo couldn’t help be share his appreciation for that kind of love from his favorite player growing up, a player he regularly states is so obviously one of the few best to ever do it, and who happens to have taken a very personal interest in him.

“It’s just nice having him around because he has been through all this times 10,” Ball concluded. “He helps me a lot. If I ever need to go to him, I can. He talks me through the game. He’s like a big brother, pretty much.”

That’s more meaningful for someone who actually is a big brother, like Lonzo, and knows how critical that role can be for the younger ones.

3) INGRAM SEPARATING HIMSELF AS LEBRON’S PRIMARY SIDEKICK

Heading into training camp, there was a job opening on the Lakers to be LeBron’s No. 2.

A frontrunner for the position from the beginning due to his combination of physical gifts and obsession with improvement through hard work, former No. 2 overall pick Brandon Ingram has delivered what many had hoped to see in the preseason with one more game to go.

In 25 minutes per game across five games, Ingram’s averaging 17.4 points, 5.0 rebounds, over a steal plus nearly a block per game, all of which will go up as he’s a lock to play closer to the 33.5 minutes per game he averaged last season.

Last week, we wrote about Ingram’s star being on the rise, and LeBron weighed in after last Thursday’s win over Sacramento.

“This is the year for him,” he said walking off the court after Ingram dropped 31. “I believe in him. I know what his abilities are just being around him for these first few weeks. Every big shot we needed, every play we needed, he made down the stretch, and I love seeing his growth.”

https://www.nba.com/lakers/news/1810121 ... ow-lal-gsw
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Preseason Game 6: 10/12/18 Lakers at Warriors GAME THREA

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:15 pm

Kyle Goon, huh. Nice name.

I guess tonight's a good night to watch the Lakers if you want to see a lot of Lonzo and Kuz. Or not.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:34 pm

The GOON has spoken :roflmao:. Hard to believe the season starts in less than a week! Can't wait.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:40 pm

This looks like a garbage-time all-rookie game . . but we're still in it! 4th quarter about to start, let's see if the pine-riders get things poppin :catfite:
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:55 pm

lakerevolution wrote:This looks like a garbage-time all-rookie game . . but we're still in it! 4th quarter about to start, let's see if the pine-riders get things poppin :catfite:

The Summer League/South Bay Lakers group has more chemistry and continuity than the big club.

And it's fun to watch!
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:56 pm

Lance "Artest-Rodman" Stephenson.

After being down 13 in the third quarter, we're up 9 with 6 min to play.
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:01 pm

I can say this -- our bench mob of starters is hyped and having fun with each other! Who would have thought Rajon, JaVale, LeBron, Brandon and Lonzo would all be laughing with each other on a Laker bench???
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:57 am

lakerevolution wrote:Lance "Artest-Rodman" Stephenson.

After being down 13 in the third quarter, we're up 9 with 6 min to play.

Rondo said the Lakers have to figure out a way to "crack the code" to end the Dubs run. Lance and Beasley will do their best to get under Draymond Green's skin. We'll take that trade every time. Genius.
KobeMVP888

Return to LakerTalk