Preseason Game 2: 10/02/18 Nuggets at Lakers GAME THREAD

Preseason Game 2: 10/02/18 Nuggets at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:16 am

(1-0) NUGGETS at LAKERS (0-1)

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 7:30 PM PDT
Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA

Referees: Bill Kennedy (#55), JT Orr (#72), Derek Richardson (#63)

Replay Center: Eric Lewis

Line: Lakers -2.5

National TV: TNT Local TV: Spectrum SportsNet

GAME PREVIEW: NUGGETS AT LAKERS

by Gabe Zaldivar, forbes.com

I join you in your sudden, severe addiction to preseason Los Angeles Lakers basketball.

Add LeBron James to the mix and previously meaningless exhibition games you pass out in front of as you nurse a midweek beer in your hand suddenly seem compelling.

Thank you, LeBron. We now have a reason to pause our “Ozark” binge session and can now get back to things that matter.

That also means we have another meaningless exhibition game at hand.

Preview

This will be the first of two preseason games being played at the future home of the LeBron-JaVale alley-oop factory.

It’s also the second time in two games the Lakers will face the Nuggets. The LeBron era kicked off on Sunday as the new-look Lakers illustrated how to lose, 124-107, but to do so in an exciting, memorable manner.

The best player in the known universe will suit up for this one. A reasonable expectation is that we will get as many minutes, if not more, out of James.

The Lakers understand that they are still getting to know each other on the court and need time to nurture chemistry.

It was evident on Sunday night that this iteration of the squad is rough around the edges—21 turnovers and 15 assists after you subtract Rajon Rondo’s 11 dimes.

As expected, the Lakers have to answer some questions evident on Sunday. Size down low is an issue when McGee is out of the game. And the Lakers quick pace looked far more frantic than efficient.

Normally, James could kick up his feet for the preseason. But it pays to have him on the floor to figure some of this stuff out before Oct. 18.

Injuries

Lonzo Ball (knee) is still getting thawed out from his offseason knee surgery.

The Lakers clearly have an issue when Rajon Rondo and James are out of the game. If this were the regular season, there would be a need to have another guard to fill in and maintain ball movement and pace. But that’s a problem for another time (later this month). Luke Walton is making the right call here.

Michael Beasley: after suffering what was described as a laceration, Beasley was cleared on Tuesday.

Moe Wagner: Continues to be sidelined with a knee contusion, an injury that negates him playing the rest of the preseason.

What To Watch

Small Ball Rotations: The Lakers might be onto something with small lineups, which is good because they don’t have much in the way of size.

Crisp ball movement develops along with chemistry. Look for improvement, but not much. The mustard will still be off the hot dog in this one.

Defense: The Lakers looked good at times on defense, especially getting out and affecting passes in the lane. Ingram especially illustrated his length in this regard.

Confidence: one of the more underrated issues facing this team is confidence, namely from the young core, in playing next a walking expectation generator like LeBron.

Brandon Ingram seemed to flash the kind of tenacity commensurate with his better games. Svi Mykhailiuk looked like he needed a few minutes to settle into the moment before playing pop-a-shot.

Regardless, Game 2 should be a messy, chaotic good time for the whole family.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Preseason Game 2: 10/02/18 Nuggets at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby Moos » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:38 am

New work-in-progress Prototype detected... That's the best part.

I'm still kinda surprised we don't have a center primary yet... I'll have an idea as we move-on.
Moos

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:33 am

Moos wrote:New work-in-progress Prototype detected... That's the best part.

I'm still kinda surprised we don't have a center primary yet... I'll have an idea as we move-on.
Luke considers Javale McGee to be a very important part of this team. One thing I noticed the other night was the concern on Magic Johnson's face when Ivica Zubac was on the floor. We sure could use Julius Randle. Josh Hart is starting at the shooting guard position tonight.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:47 am

Moos wrote:New work-in-progress Prototype detected... That's the best part.

McGee should play well on this team with LeBron in the mix. Rondo and Ball both are Great Passers as well. I would be surprised if we do not win 50 games or so and are not a Top 4 Seed. I think we can make the WCFinals if we don't face the Warriors in the 1st 2 rounds.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:42 pm

JaVale has proven himself on offense these last few seasons, with help from all-star assists . . but his defense in the paint is suspect and tempermental, which was painfully obvious versus Denver's all-star center. It's my belief that Magic and Rob are eyeing a trade for a top-notch every-night center, while allowing LeBron to exploit the strengths of what we have currently at the position.

As for tonight, we had better be ready for the perimeter onslaught we received Sunday. Denver was draining 3s like it was their home gym, and when they reach full strength they're going to be a hard beat. Their speed and ball movement on offense was crisp, and their all-around defense and rebounding had us looking lost.

Let's get this win tonight!
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:40 pm

lakerevolution wrote:JaVale has proven himself on offense these last few seasons, with help from all-star assists . . but his defense in the paint is suspect and tempermental, which was painfully obvious versus Denver's all-star center. It's my belief that Magic and Rob are eyeing a trade for a top-notch every-night center, while allowing LeBron to exploit the strengths of what we have currently at the position.

As for tonight, we had better be ready for the perimeter onslaught we received Sunday. Denver was draining 3s like it was their home gym, and when they reach full strength they're going to be a hard beat. Their speed and ball movement on offense was crisp, and their all-around defense and rebounding had us looking lost.

Let's get this win tonight!

Vegas has Anthony Davis on the Lakers to start the 2019-20 season. Magic said that we'll be "back" this season and "back, back, back" next season. He probably knew well in advance that AD would be signing with Klutch and that Rich Paul already knew AD's desires. Connect the dots. Do the arithmetic.
KobeMVP888

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:57 pm

Getting a little glimpse of how we'll be sharing the ball this season. Great stuff!

1-1, top of the 11th. 3Peat must be a nervous wreck.
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:25 pm

Every time I switch off the ballgame to see the Lakers, we're turning the rock over, missing stupid shots and looking out of sync. I hope Kuzma is ok!!
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:50 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Every time I switch off the ballgame to see the Lakers, we're turning the rock over, missing stupid shots and looking out of sync. I hope Kuzma is ok!!

Kuz is fine. It's been pre-season garbage time for awhile. Zubac is a concern.
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:23 pm

Pretty damn sloppy finish. I swear every time I switched off the Cubs/Rockies snoozer, the Lakers were looking like stooges. The final strike of the Rockies' victory coincided EXACTLY with that sad, mismanaged final possession for the Lakers. Oh well. It's the preseason, right? If Denver shot tonight like they shot in Sunday's game, we lose by 10. Again, a lot of film to look at and much better offense and defense to establish by mid October.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:06 am

lakerevolution wrote:Pretty damn sloppy finish. I swear every time I switched off the Cubs/Rockies snoozer, the Lakers were looking like stooges. The final strike of the Rockies' victory coincided EXACTLY with that sad, mismanaged final possession for the Lakers. Oh well. It's the preseason, right? If Denver shot tonight like they shot in Sunday's game, we lose by 10. Again, a lot of film to look at and much better offense and defense to establish by mid October.

LeBron, Rondo, McGee and Ingram are establishing a nice chemistry. Josh Hart seemed to fit with them better than KCP, too. Kuz appears to be a bit overanxious, but Luke's sticking him at small ball center and making him cover Jokic, which is ridiculous. I think Rob and Magic need to address the back up center position sooner rather than later. If McGee gets injured, it will be a major concern and even he's just meh IMO. Letting Randle go is still a head scratcher to me.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:09 am

I wasn't really watching this because the Cubs game took 4 hours to get over :roflmao:. I guess now I can focus more on Bron and the guys. Glad Basketball is back Brethren.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:51 am

3Peatkb24 wrote:I wasn't really watching this because the Cubs game took 4 hours to get over :roflmao:. I guess now I can focus more on Bron and the guys. Glad Basketball is back Brethren.

From what I saw in these first two games, you didn't miss much. LeBron had a coast-to-coast tomahawk thunder dunk in traffic, and Rondo hit a couple 3s, but we were letting Plumlee look like a superstar and we just never looked ready on defense. Ingram is getting his buckets but still needs to bulk up if he wants to play in the paint.

As for Randle, I think there must have been some kind of clash of personalities, or maybe the projected plan to add LeBron AND an all-star center by season's end. I never saw Julius and LeBron as a good fit together on the court, IDK. Hopefully something Magic-al happens and we ROB a team of its powerful center. With LeBron and Unibrow on the same team, we're instantly the #3 in the West - health provided.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:02 am

lakerevolution wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:I wasn't really watching this because the Cubs game took 4 hours to get over :roflmao:. I guess now I can focus more on Bron and the guys. Glad Basketball is back Brethren.

From what I saw in these first two games, you didn't miss much. LeBron had a coast-to-coast tomahawk thunder dunk in traffic, and Rondo hit a couple 3s, but we were letting Plumlee look like a superstar and we just never looked ready on defense. Ingram is getting his buckets but still needs to bulk up if he wants to play in the paint.

As for Randle, I think there must have been some kind of clash of personalities, or maybe the projected plan to add LeBron AND an all-star center by season's end. I never saw Julius and LeBron as a good fit together on the court, IDK. Hopefully something Magic-al happens and we ROB a team of its powerful center. With LeBron and Unibrow on the same team, we're instantly the #3 in the West - health provided.

I seen LeBron's dunk! :slamdunk: We are going to be good. I will stick with 51 wins and a 3 or 4 seed.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:33 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:I seen LeBron's dunk! :slamdunk: We are going to be good. I will stick with 51 wins and a 3 or 4 seed.

I know it's ludicrous to judge off of two preseason games, but we looked capable of stinking it up in stretches - even with our first team. A lot of hero ball and risky passes resulted in way too many turnovers, and Denver constantly had a wide open shooter behind the 3. The Nuggets looked sharp - flying to loose balls and grabbing rebounds on both ends. These new guys in Purp and *bright yellow* are pros, but so were Dwight, Nash, Malone and Payton.

Am I sounding too kpmcleanish? :waaaaa:
lakerevolution

Next

Return to LakerTalk