2018 NBA Free Agency

Re: 2018 NBA Free Agency

Postby lakerevolution » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:39 pm

Fuck. Guess there was some bad blood between Randle and the FO. Sucks. I don't know what the vision is here, but I will be patient and see how it all plays out . . . :WTFface:
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:22 pm

Boogie to the Warriors for 1 year/5.3 Mill. Dude is pulling a David West :kingclaphands: If the Warriors don't 3Peat it would be shocking.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:00 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Fuck. Guess there was some bad blood between Randle and the FO. Sucks. I don't know what the vision is here, but I will be patient and see how it all plays out . . . :WTFface:

Yeah, losing Julius only to see him sign for peanuts was disappointing, but as crazy as they might seem, Rondo and Lance are supposedly great locker room guys (3Peat can comment on Lance). They add toughness and playoff success. I'll take proven Playoff Rondo over an unproven playoff commodity who didn't fit into Magic's vision. I was listening to some former NBA player who was a teammate of Rondo's on the radio and he said the two best players on the planet to mentor Lonzo are LeBron and Rondo. The ball is going to move fellers. Equally important in today's game besides shooting the three is defending the three. Re-enter KCP and enter Lance Stephenson. My guess is that LeBron didn't necessarily decide on these players, but was probably consulted on them and liked the moves. Kuzma's minutes will go up with Randle out of the way, too. I also like the Javale McGee move. He has matured and is still only 30 and is GOOD for 10-15 mpg. Would love the see Brook Lopez re-signed now, too. With Randle gone, he can operate more in the paint. Stu whined about that all last season and, toward the end, that is exactly what Lopez did and he tore it up! BTW, Randle leaving opens the lane up for LeBron, too, so there's that. A Brook Lopez signing would be a nice cherry on top of this off season.

As for Boogie, fuck that soft loser. If that is what he has to do to win a chip, shame on him. Shame on Adam Silver if he doesn't nix that ridiculous deal for "BASKETBALL REASONS."

Can't wait for Showtime 2!!! Magic basically said it's a 2 summer process so maybe we'll squeeze out a chip in 2020!!!

Finally, I just got my invoice for my 14 games. $748. :) Well worth the wait!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:07 pm

Ken, Everyone in Indy loves Lance Stephenson and you are right, the players thought he was a great locker room guy. Most people would not think that because of his crazy antics but the kid has a great heart and gives 100% every game. He fears nobody, look at how he went at LeBron LOL. I would love to bring back Brook Lopez at this point and roll with a starting lineup of:
PG Lonzo
SG Ingram - He made 39% from 3 last season so we have 3 point shooters
SF LeBron
PF Kuzma - 36.6% from 3 last season, Good stretch 4
C Lopez - Can even hit the 3, he made 34.5% of them LOL

2nd team
PG Rondo
SG KCP - 38% from 3 last season
SF Lance
PF Do not be shocked if we start seeing some Mo Wagner, this kid is tough and can shoot
C McGee
SG Hart as more depth at the Guard spot

-Just roll the ball out and let us meet the mighty Warriors in the Western Finals!
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:38 am

Ken -- 14 games for only $748?? That's crazy cheap!! I will definitely be down in LA to catch a game. What an insane couple of days, I never thought Bron would come, and the other signings coupled with the loss of Randle has me reeling. Does Magic just want to get in the playoffs so badly that he's built a team out of scraps? One-year contracts don't guarantee that there guys will be here next season. I'm gonna keep some healthy skepticism until about 30 games into the season . . at least we still have Ingram and Kuzma - for now!
lakerevolution

Postby Moos » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:25 am

"lakerevolution"14 games for only $748?? That's crazy cheap!! I will definitely be down in LA to catch a game. What an insane couple of days, I never thought Bron would come. :danc3: ...
-----------------------------------------

Count me- in- any day of the week. I'll get a ride down there and pay for my ticket!
Moos

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:27 am

Moos, where are you now?
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:47 am

lakerevolution wrote:Ken -- 14 games for only $748?? That's crazy cheap!!

That's just my share for my seat, so it comes out to $53/game. We've had these tickets since the Forum, so we're grandfathered in.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:00 am

lakerevolution wrote:What an insane couple of days, I never thought Bron would come, and the other signings coupled with the loss of Randle has me reeling. Does Magic just want to get in the playoffs so badly that he's built a team out of scraps? One-year contracts don't guarantee that there guys will be here next season. I'm gonna keep some healthy skepticism until about 30 games into the season . . at least we still have Ingram and Kuzma - for now!

Rev, Magic basically said it was a two year plan. Adding TOUGH veterans like Lance, Rondo and Javale, all with a ton of playoff experience on one year deals is a great way to accelerate the maturity of our yutes and make us competitive in the PLAYOFFS. Much like Kobe teamed up with nemeses like Ron Artest and Matt Barnes, why wouldn't LeBron want to play with the guys who have given him the hardest time?

Remember this game?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/bo ... 00MIA.html

So it makes total sense to me. Compete, grow, complete next summer. Perhaps we get Kawhi in a deal sooner than that. If not, we good. Healthy optimism, baby!
KobeMVP888

Postby Moos » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:03 am

Moos, where are you now?

I'm in West Covina, brotha!
Moos

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:56 pm

Pacers just signed Tyreke Evans to a 1 year/12 Mill deal. Good for them :xclaphands:. This makes the Pacers a contender in the East IMO, after losing Lance they needed this. It will come down to the Celtics, Sixers, and Pacers in the East. Raptors will probably win over 50 games as well but they are always shaky in the Playoffs with their core bunch. Looks like I am going to have a season where the Lakers and Pacers both are going to be Good and fun to watch. :danc3:
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:43 am

In summary:

Kevin Pelton, ESPN

"The moves signal that the Lakers are focused on maintaining flexibility for the summer of 2019, offering only one-year deals to free agents. After signing James, Caldwell-Pope and Rondo, L.A. would still have nearly $6 million in remaining cap space. The Lakers could then use their room midlevel exception to sign Stephenson and add McGee and other players making the minimum to fill out the roster.

The Lakers could still get up to $16-plus million in cap space by waiving forward Luol Deng, while stretching the remaining two years on his contract would get the Lakers to nearly $25 million in cap room. However, stretching Deng doesn't seem worth it if the Lakers are merely signing players to one-year deals. In that case, it's better to keep Deng's salary on the books in case it can be cleared more easily via trade next summer as an expiring contract. After all, the Lakers have to weigh any moves this summer against what they might be able to do in free agency this time next year.

The scenario I've outlined where the Lakers sign nothing but one-year deals this summer would leave L.A. with something like $25 million in cap space in 2019 with Deng on the books. Waiving and stretching Deng then would get the Lakers to about $37 million in projected space, more than enough to make a max offer to players with seven to nine years of experience. Conveniently, next summer's free-agent class includes a number of stars in this market, starting with Leonard but also including Jimmy Butler, Kyrie Irving, Klay Thompson and Kemba Walker.

Leonard has made it clear he intends to sign with the Lakers, and the way things have unfolded has reduced their urgency to trade for him now. The Lakers would have had to acquire Leonard via trade to fit him in at the max had they signed two max free agents (that is, James and George) to multiyear contracts. Dealing for Leonard at this point also was imperative if it was necessary to land James. With those scenarios seemingly off the table, the Lakers can afford to be more patient.

There's still a downside to waiting on Leonard, of course -- that being the possibility that he gets traded to a new team and decides to re-sign there, just as George did in Oklahoma City. There's value in the certainty of having Leonard in hand now, but that must be weighed against the players and picks the Lakers would have to give up to acquire him. I'd probably rather take my chances, particularly with the Lakers unlikely to win a championship this season even if they dealt for Leonard.

After all, Leonard isn't the only option for the Lakers. Back when Butler was a restricted free agent with the Chicago Bulls, he expressed interest in signing an offer sheet with the Lakers, per Adrian Wojnarowski. And Thompson, whose father, Mychal, played for the Lakers and is now their color analyst for radio, would be a natural fit if he elects to leave the Warriors.

Adding a max free agent next summer is no certainty for the Lakers, but doing so while retaining their young talent either to develop alongside James or for additional trades remains their best chance of building a championship-caliber team."
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:43 am

Like I alluded to earlier, Magic said it was a two year plan without actually saying it was a two year plan. In the meantime, he added toughness and playoff experience to compliment LeBron and obviously they are thinking about April and May (which BTW, leaves me a bit puzzled about why they didn't sign Boogie).

Right now, here's the roster:

Point guards: Lonzo, Rondo
Shooting guards: KCP, Lance, Svi, Newman (two-way)
Small forwards: Ingram, Hart, Deng
Power forwards: LeBron, Kuzma, Wagner
Centers: McGee, Zubac

That's 14 roster spots. IDEALLY, they sign Brook Lopez with the remaining 5.7 cap space and hopefully the money dries up so they can sign Wayne Ellington or another knock down 3 point shooter to a veteran minimum deal. They can use the other two-way deal on a third string point guard. It is possible that Kawhi trade talks are fluid or they are talking about trading Deng, which explains why Brook is still hanging out there. I can think of no other reason other than they are cooking up something we're not even thinking about. I'd be bummed to lose Brook. He's a perfect fit with LeBron and with Julius gone, he'd have the block to himself. Not only that, but with a starting 5 of Brook, LeBron, Ingram, KCP and Lonzo, there would be continuity. A bench of Rondo, Lance, Hart, Kuzma and Javale McGee would be one of the best in the NBA.
KobeMVP888

Postby Lakers4Life » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:35 pm

Besides trading for Kahwi Leonard, .....If Magic & The Lakers can convince Jamal Crawford to join then we could challenge The Warriors in the WCF!! But as currently constructed, we’ll end up a 4th or 5th seed. We need shooters. Jamal Crawford would be just the man to do the job. DO IT MAGIC!!
Lakers4Life

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:54 pm

Lakers4Life wrote:Besides trading for Kahwi Leonard, .....If Magic & The Lakers can convince Jamal Crawford to join then we could challenge The Warriors in the WCF!! But as currently constructed, we’ll end up a 4th or 5th seed. We need shooters. Jamal Crawford would be just the man to do the job. DO IT MAGIC!!

Wayne Ellington is another sharp shooter I would love to have and he's younger. Crawford would be the perfect pickup for 1 year, he is a deadly shooter at times and a smart Veteran.
3Peatkb24

PreviousNext

Return to LakerTalk