2018-2019 Pre-season notes

2018-2019 Pre-season notes

Postby lakerevolution » Mon May 28, 2018 6:42 am

Figured I'd branch off of the Lakers dicussion thread and start our chronicle of what is in store for this next campaign. Boston is out, having proved their worth without a healthy Kyrie and Gordon. We have innovative youth but lack experience and veteran backbone. Maybe we'll get it this Summer. And in other news:

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/201 ... n-workouts
lakerevolution

Re: 2018-2019 Pre-season notes

Postby lakerevolution » Mon May 28, 2018 6:54 am

"Selected with the No. 32 and No. 47 picks respectively, Zubac and Bryant didn’t see the floor a ton last season with the Lakers. While that was to be expected for Bryant in his rookie season, Zubac wasn’t supposed to be glued to the Lakers’ bench the way that he was."

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/201 ... e-facility
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:22 pm

Pulling this topic back up top so we can begin to discuss how our new roster will form itself around LeBron, and how much/little contribution our youngsters and veterans will be asked to provide as Luke begins to mesh them into a starting 5 and all backup roles.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:54 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Pulling this topic back up top so we can begin to discuss how our new roster will form itself around LeBron, and how much/little contribution our youngsters and veterans will be asked to provide as Luke begins to mesh them into a starting 5 and all backup roles.

Clearly, Luke will have his work cut out for him, but he'll have a total blast in the process. He's all about fun and knows how to get through to people. I also love Miles Simon on the staff and B-Shaw is highly respected as well. I'm sure we have the right guy for the job.

This is going to be a blast! I think the Beasley signing was perfect. He will play more than people think. I am guessing that Javale will start both halves and play about 6-7 minutes and perhaps some spot minutes here and there. Beasley will be the small ball center, not LeBron, whose minues Luke will monitor closely. When the dust settles, assuming good HEALTH (caps a TrueFan reference, of course), I think we'll see LeBron and Kuzma on the floor for about 70-72 mpg, with Javale at about 12 mpg and Beasley around 20 mpg (it adds up to more than 96 mpg for the 4-5 position because Kuz will see some time at small forward). Moe will get his share of splinters and G League time; Ivica Zubac just splinters.

Point guard is easy: Lonzo 26-28 mpg; Rondo 20-22 mpg.

The wing positions are where it will be interesting. KCP, Ingram, Hart, Lance and Svi are going to be competing for those 96 minutes. Expect Svi to spend most of the first half of the season on the bench or in the G League. KCP and Ingram should average 30-35 mpg, leaving the rest for Lance and Hart.

We're deep, fellers. Can't wait for September!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:38 pm

My expectations for the team is 52 wins and a Top 4 Seed. I am not sure what seed 52 wins will get a team in the West, I am guessing maybe a 3 or 4? I am assuming the Warriors and Rockets will get the 1 and 2 while the Jazz, Thunder, and Lakers probably battle it out for the 3rd Seed. Our Roster has alot of Playoff experience on it and the best player in the world on it so this is going to be an entertaining season for a change. Simply put, hey we are Good again!
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:17 pm

Clearly, the #1 story going into this season is "How will LeBron mesh with, play off of and improve this lineup?" He has a handful of seasoned ballers and another handful of young mini-stars that - when combined - can play big, small, fast, halfcourt, or any way needed to counter what any NBA team can throw at them. I know I'm not alone in expecting way-above-.500 ball from these guys by Christmas. What will be most intriguing is seeing exactly how LeBron will play, and what consistent contributions he'll get from his new teammates. There's a feeling that all these Lakers are ready to get down and dirty and go after the league, regardless of having a teammate named LeBron - which is exactly, I think, what LeBron, Luke and the squad need to see immediate success.

All eyes will be on Lonzo and how much of an impact he will have on a team featuring LeBron James. Beyond that - and assuming the veterans will have their minutes regulated - one of the most important developments from an x's and o's standpoint is how Brandon Ingram will be able to grow and produce as a wing and inside threat now that Randle is gone. From an SB Nation article touching on Luke playing Ingram at point last year:

"Not only was Walton looking to improve upon Ennis’ production, he was also looking to catalyze Ingram, who had been drifting through the previous few games while recovering from an ankle sprain.

The results were some of the best offensive basketball of Ingram’s career, as he posted 19.6 points, 5.6 assists, 3.7 rebounds, and just 2.4 turnovers on 62.2 TS% in 34.3 minutes per game, leading the Lakers to a 4-3 record.

Ingram is also just 20 years old, and far from a finished product. He’s shown enough flashes of skill on both ends of the floor while hounding players on defense and showing point forward skills on offense that seeing him as a potential Pippen for James isn’t totally outlandish."

I don't know if he has the fire in his belly that Pippen had, nor the flat-out explosive athleticism, but with some beefing-up in the gym and a pre-season rubbing elbows with veteran ballers, Ingram should be ready to take his production to a new level - even if it means that he's upping his value for a possible trade . . .
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:50 pm

Nice breakdown of our schedule:

https://www.nba.com/lakers/news/180810- ... -breakdown

PG: Lonzo Ball, Rajon Rondo, Alex Caruso (two-way), Issac Bonga

SG: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Josh Hart

SF: Brandon Ingram, Lance Stephenson, Svi Mykhailiuk

PF: LeBron James, Kyle Kuzma, Michael Beasley, Luol Deng, Travis Wear (two-way)

C: JaVale McGee, Ivica Zubac, Moe Wagner
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:57 pm

Beasley gets it.

" . . . but I think we’re a team that will be able to decide our own fate by how hard we work and how much we’re willing to sacrifice physically and mentally. I’m not going to put my foot in my mouth and say we’re going to win 25 championships or 75 games, no. But I’m confident that we got a group of guys that wants to play basketball the right way, wants to win and work hard. With that being said, I think we can be exactly where we want to be at the end of the year."

Spoken like a veteran, although “exactly where we want to be” can be interpreted a lot of ways. Management wants to be competitive while maintaing cap space for next summer, the Lakers likely will do exactly that. The players want to be contenders, but that seems an overreach. Does Beasley expect a roster with a lot of new faces to mesh well?

"I don’t know for sure because we haven’t gotten together yet, but first thoughts: Running and spacing the floor will be so fun this year. It’s rare you play with three guys who average seven-plus assists, and we have it. For us to average 30 assists per game this year, I wouldn’t be surprised if we get somewhere around that number."

https://sports.yahoo.com/michael-beasle ... 13211.html
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:10 am

Finally!!! We deal with the Luol Deng issue in the best way possible for all parties. Another step in the right direction for this franchise after the messiness of the past few years. Deng is a great guy, and I hope he can find some minutes for a squad that can use his help.
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:13 am

Lakers Ranked 4th In ESPN Projected Power Rankings

"Behind the Warriors, Celtics, and Rockets, the Lakers are projected to be the fourth most successful team between now and 2021.

This is quite the improvement as Los Angeles was ranked 11th in the previous installment released in March, toward the end of the regular season."

Well, we can only hope this is how potent the mix of young and veteran will be! No real reason not to expect this team, while healthy, to find success similar to all of LeBron's previous Finals-caliber teams. At worst, we're a 5th seed in the West, right? And at our collective potential best we can be better than the Celtics or Rockets, right? No reason not to dream big!

https://lonzowire.usatoday.com/2018/09/ ... ron-james/
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:11 am

lakerevolution wrote:Lakers Ranked 4th In ESPN Projected Power Rankings

"Behind the Warriors, Celtics, and Rockets, the Lakers are projected to be the fourth most successful team between now and 2021.

This is quite the improvement as Los Angeles was ranked 11th in the previous installment released in March, toward the end of the regular season."

Well, we can only hope this is how potent the mix of young and veteran will be! No real reason not to expect this team, while healthy, to find success similar to all of LeBron's previous Finals-caliber teams. At worst, we're a 5th seed in the West, right? And at our collective potential best we can be better than the Celtics or Rockets, right? No reason not to dream big!

https://lonzowire.usatoday.com/2018/09/ ... ron-james/

4th is probably the proper ranking. I think we can beat anyone in a series except for the Warriors. I have to give the Rockets and Celtics their just due though at the moment because both were really good last season.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:38 am

My early Power Rankings would look like this:
1. Warriors
2. Rockets
3. Celtics
4. Lakers - Just have too because of the LeBron factor
5. Raptors - Assuming Leonard will be healthy
6. Sixers
7. Jazz
8. OKC
9. Pacers
10. Pelicans
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:15 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:My early Power Rankings would look like this:
1. Warriors
2. Rockets
3. Celtics
6. Sixers
7. Jazz
8. OKC
9. Pacers
10. Pelicans

I would put the Jazz ahead of the Lakers right now and I would out the Celtics ahead of the Rockets. I think the Rockets went as far as they could go last season. CP3 is a year older, Ariza is gone and while Morey made a few savvy moves, I don't think they will be as good next season.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:27 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:My early Power Rankings would look like this:
1. Warriors
2. Rockets
3. Celtics
6. Sixers
7. Jazz
8. OKC
9. Pacers
10. Pelicans

I would put the Jazz ahead of the Lakers right now and I would out the Celtics ahead of the Rockets. I think the Rockets went as far as they could go last season. CP3 is a year older, Ariza is gone and while Morey made a few savvy moves, I don't think they will be as good next season.

Yeah the Jazz are a scary team and for some reason they have always been a bitch to beat at home no matter who they have. Even when they were bad they won at home :roflmao:. Celtics unfortunately are Very Good. I think with the Rockets, CP3 and Coach MDA do have a tendency to choke, Harden seems to fold in big games too. Having said that I am not sure the C's are better than the Rockets. Teams like the Jazz and Pacers are young and hungry, those type of teams scare the crap out of me. They are small market teams that get overlooked by most people so they play with a chip on their shoulder. I didn't mention the Spurs but I don't see the Spurs as a Top 10 team right now.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:41 am

Pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty sooooon!!!
KobeMVP888

Next

Return to LakerTalk