Game 60: 02/26/18 Lakers at Hawks GAME THREAD

Game 60: 02/26/18 Lakers at Hawks GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:23 am

(25-34)Image at Image(18-42)

Monday, February 26, 2018, 4:30 PM PDT
Philips Arena • Atlanta, GA

Referees: Bennie Adams (#47), Josh Tiven (#58), Haywoode Workman (#66)

Replay Center: Mitchell Ervin, John Goble, Karl Lane, Brett Nansel

Line: Lakers -2

Local TV: Spectrum SportsNet

GAME PREVIEW: LAKERS AT HAWKS

by NBA.com

ATLANTA -- After losing three straight on the road, the Atlanta Hawks finally get a chance to return home on Monday. But their opponent is the Los Angeles Lakers, a young team tha has gotten hot in the last month.

The Hawks (18-42) will host the Lakers (25-34) for the only time this season at Philips Arena. They will be trying to split the season series after Los Angeles won 132-113 on Jan. 7 at the Staples Center.

The game will be a homecoming for Lakers guard Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, who played at the University of Georgia.

Pope is coming off his best performance of the year, a season-high 34-point effort that included a career-high eight 3-point baskets in a 113-108 win over the Sacramento Kings. He became the eighth Lakers player to hit eight or more treys in a game and just the fourth on the road.

Caldwell-Pope has scored in double figures in 39 games and had nine 20-plus point performances. He has led the team in scoring six times. Against the Kings, he was 12 of 20 from the field and 8 of 14 on 3-pointers.

"When you get a guy hot who can shoot like him, you try to use him," Lakers coach Luke Walton said. "Sometimes as a decoy, sometimes as a back-screener because you know guys aren't going to want to leave him."

The 6-foot-5 guard is averaging 13.5 points, five rebounds and 2.2 assists in 33 minutes per game.

"He was playing really well and then he got hurt," Walton said. "He had to find his rhythm again. Keeping him on the court and allowing him to play has allowed him to find that rhythm. Credit to him because he's been putting in the work."

Atlanta has lost three straight games -- all on the road -- and dropped five of their last six. The Hawks are currently last in the Eastern Conference.

"We just want to go out there and compete," Atlanta guard Kent Bazemore said. "We didn't do that (against Indiana)."

Atlanta never led in Friday's 116-93 loss to Indiana. The Hawks had 13 turnovers in the first half, which led to 18 points for the Pacers, who had a 17-point advantage at halftime. Atlanta had 22 turnovers for the game.

The bright spot was Isaiah Taylor, who scored a career-high 17 points and added six assists and two steals.

The Hawks may be without veteran forward Ersan Ilyasova. The club is working on a buyout, which would allow him to re-sign with the Philadelphia 76ers. Ilyasova is averaging 10.9 points and 5.5 rebounds and is best known for his defensive ability and his skills with shooting the 3-pointer.

Los Angeles has won two straight games and six of their last nine. The spurt has pulled the Lakers into 11th place in the Western Conference, but still a distant eight games out of a spot in the playoffs.

The Hawks were without DeAndre Bembry, Tyler Cavanaugh, Antonius Cleveland, Malcolm Delaney on Friday. The Lakers are without Channing Frye (appendectomy), and Lonzo Ball continues to deal with a sore knee.

The Lakers have won the last three games in the series.

http://www.nba.com/games/20180226/LALATL#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 60: 02/26/18 Lakers at Hawks GAME THREAD

Postby lakerevolution » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:21 pm

"Caldwell-Pope has scored in double figures in 39 games and had nine 20-plus point performances. He has led the team in scoring six times. Against the Kings, he was 12 of 20 from the field and 8 of 14 on 3-pointers."

So . . has his time as a Laker been good, a headscratcher, or a net loss? I haven't really been able to get a feel for this guy. Hot and cold. Somewhat Lamar Odomish.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:52 pm

A win tonight matches last seasons total. I think we win this as Atlanta is pretty Bad.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:54 pm

lakerevolution wrote:"Caldwell-Pope has scored in double figures in 39 games and had nine 20-plus point performances. He has led the team in scoring six times. Against the Kings, he was 12 of 20 from the field and 8 of 14 on 3-pointers."

So . . has his time as a Laker been good, a headscratcher, or a net loss? I haven't really been able to get a feel for this guy. Hot and cold. Somewhat Lamar Odomish.

Yep, he is hot and cold with his shot but he also gives us 3 point shooting which we lack in most games so keeping him at a reasonable deal may be wise. He can also play Defense.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:04 pm

lakerevolution wrote:"Caldwell-Pope has scored in double figures in 39 games and had nine 20-plus point performances. He has led the team in scoring six times. Against the Kings, he was 12 of 20 from the field and 8 of 14 on 3-pointers."

I think you have to factor in his legal issues this season because clearly his game went south during that month or so. I like him, but we already have Josh Hart for cheap and they pretty much do the same thing although KCP is a more experienced player. If it's a choice between IT and KCP, I'd go with IT because he presents an entirely different dimension (not that either one of them will necessarily be back). Also, if we sign Paul George (which I am doubting), there's definitely no need for KCP. His price tag this summer will be interesting. If we whiff on FAs, I could see us signing Randle, IT and KCP for continuity and flexibility purposes. WE MUST KEEP JULIUS RANDLE!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:23 pm

Things are looking Great early. We are up by 10, 42-32 in the 2nd Qtr. Randle with 12 already and Kuzma with 10 off the bench! We definitely need to re-sign Randle!
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:10 pm

Just finished watching this easy win. The kids are growing up. Their threes are dropping now. The next step will be to make better decisions with the basketball and cut down on the turnovers. I can see how difficult that might be given the pace they play (combined with their youth and familiarizing themselves with Luke's system from day to day.)

VERY tough game on Friday in Miami who will be "led" by a very emotional Dwyane Wade. One of the Parkland kids was buried in his uniform and D-Wade dedicated the balance of the season to this kid. So sad. After that, a VERY tough stretch of games. We'll see how far this team has truly come over the next 10 games or so.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:29 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:Just finished watching this easy win. The kids are growing up. Their threes are dropping now. The next step will be to make better decisions with the basketball and cut down on the turnovers. I can see how difficult that might be given the pace they play (combined with their youth and familiarizing themselves with Luke's system from day to day.)

VERY tough game on Friday in Miami who will be "led" by a very emotional Dwyane Wade. One of the Parkland kids was buried in his uniform and D-Wade dedicated the balance of the season to this kid. So sad. After that, a VERY tough stretch of games. We'll see how far this team has truly come over the next 10 games or so.

Yeah condolences to the families that lost their kids in that senseless shooting. This world is really becoming a scary place to live in. Almost makes me glad I don't have any kids, if I did I worry about them all the time. Regarding the game, yeah Great effort once again and hey 26 wins = last seasons number! Lets keep this thing rolling.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:17 am

9 players in double figures, a resounding win . . BUT 23 turnovers and 23 fouls leading to a 19 to 34 disadvantage in free throw attempts.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:16 pm

lakerevolution wrote:9 players in double figures, a resounding win . . BUT 23 turnovers and 23 fouls leading to a 19 to 34 disadvantage in free throw attempts.

What does this tell you? It tells me that we're a young team learning this league. We play at a frenetic pace, which is one reason the basketball is such a hot potato. It tells me that we're a bit too aggressive defensively. It tells me that with continuity and maturity, these areas all we improve. The fact that we're establishing a defensive identity and a fast pace team are the most important things. Free throws, turnovers, hacking .. those are the easier things to clean up as this young group of players learns to master the more difficult things.

The next 10 games are critical. If we can avoid reverting to being a bad team and continue to push the needle forward, it will go a long way toward opening the eyes of a few certain players.

Fun times, will turn into good times, and will eventually turn into glory days once again!
KobeMVP888

Return to LakerTalk