The Lakers Discussion Thread

Re: The Lakers Discussion Thread

Postby Lakers4Life » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:45 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:It just dawned on me after watching the All-Star Game. Paul George ain't going nowhere and if LeBron goes anywhere, it will be to one of the elite teams. We'll re-sign Randle and punt again, overpaying a couple of above average veterans to one year deals like we did this season. It is possible that there is a Kyrie Irving or Paul George situation where some great player demands a trade and the cap space can be used that way, but I'm not holding my breath.

Magic Johnson apparently thinks that he can pull off that which Mitch Kupchak was unable to do, but I believe he's in for a rude awakening. These superstars all have houses here and don't need the Lakers for their brands. You can only judge a trade in hindsight, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if we look back at disposing of Clarkson and Nance as a mistake. They are both 25 with more experience than the remaining core, except Randle, who plays like more of a veteran than Kuzma, Ingram and Lonzo. Yes, we have a bright future, but I don't believe it starts in the 2018-19 season.

Sorry for the buzz kill.

No. You’re just being a realist. But I think that Magic & Pelinka did the right move even if we don’t get Lebron or George. At least they gave themselves a chance. Without cap space it’s not even a conversation for us. There’s still ways to continue the growth with our young core & still add some nice pieces to make us competitive enough to fight for an 8th seed. Then try again next year when Klay & company will be free agents.
Lakers4Life

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:06 pm

Lakers4Life wrote:No. You’re just being a realist. But I think that Magic & Pelinka did the right move even if we don’t get Lebron or George. At least they gave themselves a chance. Without cap space it’s not even a conversation for us. There’s still ways to continue the growth with our young core & still add some nice pieces to make us competitive enough to fight for an 8th seed. Then try again next year when Klay & company will be free agents.

The major difference between the Buss-Kupchak approach and this time is that now we have accumulated assets. Prior to that, we didn't have jackshit to attract stars here or to trade for them. BTW, the main reason we have assets now is that Mitch/Jim did the RIGHT thing by tanking and not overpaying second and third tier free agents (until they tried to save their jobs by the two worst signings in history, Deng and Mozgov). Anyway, after the Dwight-Nash experiment failed, our coffers were pretty empty. Mitch always targeted 2014 as the first rebuild year and we drafted Randle and Clarkson (not too shabby). They have drafted well ever since then and the old regime should even be credited a bit with this new crop of kids because it was their scouting team led by Jesse Buss and Ryan West that remained intact. The Lou Williams deal was already on the table when Magic took over. Regardless, with a young core of Lonzo, Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, (hopefully) Randle, Thomas Bryant, (maybe) Zubac, and a full compliment of picks in the upcoming drafts, this is an entirely different situation that gives Magic the ability to successfully sell ice to an Eskimo. The Lakers are sitting pretty compared to the rest of the league with money to spend in a market where they can overpay on one year deals if they don't snag PG, LeBron or whomever.

Which brings me to DeMarcus Cousins. Take a chance! Let him heal. Unless by some fluke we sign LeBron and PG, we aren't going to be anywhere near the Western Conference Finals next season anyway, so DeMarcus in the hand is worth two in the bush. Perhaps they can sign him creatively with incentives, I don't know. Maybe he can be used as a way to lure PG to us. Elton Brand was 28 when he tore his Achilles heal and was never the same after that, although he did have some solid seasons. Boogie is 27 and I think he still has about 5 good seasons ahead of him. We'll see.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:55 pm

Nice article on BI. Imagine he and Lonzo both running point and wing on fastbreaks like Magic, Coop and Worthy used to do . . .

"If you and Lonzo are sharing point guard duties when he comes back, how would you envision that working?"

Ingram: "At the point guard position we basically do the same thing. I may be more aggressive to the rim sometimes, but at the point guard position, we're both just pushing the pace. Trying to push the fast break, rebound the ball and try to push it. We don't really have offense where we try to get in half-court sets. We just try to push the ball. If he's running the wing, I can kick it ahead to him. If I'm running the wing, he can do it for me. It'll work out. Even if the coaches don't tell us to run point guard, we'll probably do it anyway."

Isaiah Thomas who?

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lake ... ll-family/
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:00 pm

And about that Isaiah Thomas . . .

"There isn't much use for Thomas in Los Angeles, but to bench him completely or waive him outright also seems like one indignity too far. That such a thought would even be considered is proof of how cruel a year can be. Thomas was his best basketball self at this point in 2017, and in the time since has experienced gutting personal loss, a career-altering injury, a trade he never wanted, and the fallout of a toxic situation."

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/02/20/isaia ... lonzo-ball
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:37 pm

"Things I learned from Steve Kerr", by Luke Walton:

“The Lakers have played the fastest pace in the NBA this season. What’s surprising is that they play the fastest when Brook Lopez is on the floor—Lopez is 2nd in individual pace in the whole league, trailing only Steph Curry.”

https://clutchpoints.com/lakers-news-br ... -nba-pace/
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:13 am

Thanks for being a solid Laker! Maybe you’ll come back next season!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/968905576699789313?s=21[/tweet]

I don’t like today’s news. I hope Hart’s hand isn’t fractured. I hope IT’s hip hasn’t regressed.

Shit.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:45 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:

Thanks for being a solid Laker! Maybe you’ll come back next season!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/968905576699789313?s=21[/tweet]

I don’t like today’s news. I hope Hart’s hand isn’t fractured. I hope IT’s hip hasn’t regressed.

Shit.

That is how it's been since the 2013 Season for some reason. We always have key players getting injured. Yeah not good news Ken.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:30 pm

KobeMVP888

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:51 am

One thing is certain. Dude knows the system.
KobeMVP888

Postby Julius Russell » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:44 pm

I like Caruso... would like to see him with IT.
Julius Russell

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:02 am

Julius Russell wrote:I like Caruso... would like to see him with IT.

I'm real iffy on him. He's like Lonzo-(very) lite.
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:14 am

Pau? Detlef Schrempf, maybe? Or just a tall Luke Walton :hobbes: He's 6'10" and afraid to get in the paint. Hit some threes, bean pole. I trust Luke and Lonzo to squeeze the best out of him.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:31 pm

Dave Murphy with a tasty article. Great read!

https://www.forumblueandgold.com/2018/0 ... g-stretch/
KobeMVP888

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:45 pm

Also posted in The Kobe Bryant Retirement Thread!
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:51 am

KObEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Bryaaaaaaaaaaant! Just had to do it folks.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

PreviousNext

Return to LakerTalk