The Lakers Discussion Thread

Re: The Lakers Discussion Thread

Postby KobeMVP888 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:59 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:Kerr specifically brought up Davis getting traded to the Lakers. That is the problem I have with his comments. Why not bring up Paul George or Russell Westbrook wanting out of OKC? Davis simply wanted out of New Orleans and we gave them a good deal so why would Kerr comment on that? Kerr needs to get over it, JMO.

I didn't listen to it, so I assumed that he was just using AD as an example, but whatever. Unfortunately, it is what it is in the NBA. He should have a problem with megastars joining or forming super teams in free agency if he is going to be consistent.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:09 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:Kerr specifically brought up Davis getting traded to the Lakers. That is the problem I have with his comments. Why not bring up Paul George or Russell Westbrook wanting out of OKC? Davis simply wanted out of New Orleans and we gave them a good deal so why would Kerr comment on that? Kerr needs to get over it, JMO.

I didn't listen to it, so I assumed that he was just using AD as an example, but whatever. Unfortunately, it is what it is in the NBA. He should have a problem with megastars joining or forming super teams in free agency if he is going to be consistent.

I agree 100%. You can find what he said on Youtube or ESPN. I have problems posting stuff from Youtube on here. I just figured you heard it. He had no problem with Durant joining the Warriors but when AD was miserable in NO and had only 1 year left on his contract, he had a problem with AD wanting out. I think he has a problem with AD going to the Lakers and joining LeBron to be honest. Had AD went to the Pacers for example he would've never said anything IMO.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:55 am

"A big issue for the Lakers was their defensive execution at the end of close games. They finished last season below .500 in games that had a three-point differential in the final three minutes. In those situations, their defensive rating went up to 111.3, 2.4points worse than their regular rating.

Vogel's Pacers improved defensively in close games. They had a defensive rating of 83.3 under the same clutch parameters. It was like a python that continued to squeeze the air out of their prey until there was nothing left. 

There are no nights off in the Western Conference. One night it will be Harden and Russell Westbrook, the next night Kawhi Leonard and George, another night Nikola Jokic and Jamal Murray, and so on.

Vogel has the credentials to be the architect for a tough Lakers defense, as his Pacers teams were good in all the areas the Lakers struggled in last year. He may not have been L.A.'s first or second choice for the job, but Vogel could well be the perfect person for it. For the Lakers to meet their championship expectations, Vogel's primary focus has to be their defense. Installing his defensive philosophy and getting buy-in early will be critical to their success."

- B.R.
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:14 am

"The Los Angeles Lakers parted ways with director of player personnel Ryan West on Saturday, according to Bill Oram of The Athletic.

Ryan West is the son of Hall of Famer and Los Angeles Clippers adviser Jerry West.

The younger West joined the Lakers front office in 2009 after previously spending seven years with the Memphis Grizzliesorganization. He was promoted from assistant director of scouting to player personnel director in September 2015.

Per Oram, West has been credited with the selections of 2019 All-Star D'Angelo Russell (No. 2 overall in 2015) and Jordan Clarkson (46th overall in 2014)."

- B.R.
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:37 am

EL SEGUNDO - The Los Angeles Lakers have named Jason Kidd, Lionel Hollins, Phil Handy, Miles Simon, Mike Penberthy and Quinton Crawford as assistant coaches on Head Coach Frank Vogel’s staff, it was announced today. Also named to Vogel’s staff are Greg St. Jean as player development coach/advance scout, Dru Anthrop as head video coordinator/player development coach, and Jon Pastorek, as assistant video coordinator/player development coach.

“I could not be more excited about the group we’ve assembled,” said Vogel. “Each of these guys brings a unique set of skills and experiences that will greatly impact the success of our players, as we look to build a championship-caliber team.”

Kidd most recently served as head coach of the Milwaukee Bucks from 2014-18, amassing a 139-152 record. Prior to his time in Milwaukee, Kidd spent the 2013-14 season as head coach of the Brooklyn Nets, leading the team to a 44-38 record while earning two Eastern Conference Coach of the Month awards.

Hollins owns a career record of 262-272 as head coach of the Memphis Grizzlies and Brooklyn Nets, and returns to an NBA bench for the first time since 2015-16. A four-time Western Conference Coach of the Month and the winningest coach in Grizzlies’ franchise history (214-201), Hollins coached Memphis to a franchise-best 56-26 record and advanced to the Western Conference Finals in 2012-13. He has also served as an assistant for Memphis, the Vancouver Grizzlies and the Phoenix Suns.

Handy joins the Lakers staff after serving as an assistant coach for the Toronto Raptors last season, following five seasons in the same role with the Cleveland Cavaliers (2013-18). Overall, he has coached in each of the last five NBA Finals, winning titles with the Raptors and Cavaliers in 2019 and 2016, respectively. A native of San Leandro, Handy returns to the Lakers after spending 2011-13 as an assistant coach.

Simon returns for his third season with the Lakers after playing a key role in the team’s on-court development and game preparation. Simon has coached each of the Lakers last two entries in the Las Vegas Summer League, advancing to the 2018 championship game. He’s previously worked with Team USA and has been the director of the Nike Basketball Academy since 2015, while also working with ESPN as a college basketball analyst.

Penberthy was a member of the New Orleans Pelicans staff during each of the last two seasons. He previously worked as a private trainer for some of the league’s top talent and was an assistant coach with the Minnesota Timberwolves in 2014-15. Penberthy played two seasons for the Lakers from 2000-02 and was a member of the 2001 championship team.

Crawford served as head video coordinator/player development coach for the Hornets last season and was in the same role for the Orlando Magic during the 2017-18 campaign, after spending the 2016-17 season with Orlando as assistant video coordinator. He is a graduate of the University of Arizona, with a master’s degree in education from Pepperdine University.

St. Jean spent the last four seasons as an assistant coach at St. John’s University, primarily managing scouting, game preparation, player development and video operations. Prior to his time in Queens, St. Jean was a member of the Sacramento Kings player development and video staffs from 2013-15 and was a basketball operations summer intern for the New Jersey Nets in 2012.

Anthrop joins the staff after serving last season as assistant video coordinator/player development assistant for the Grizzlies. From 2016-18, he worked under Vogel with the Magic as special assistant to the head coach and assistant video coordinator. Anthrop also spent a season with St. John’s as a graduate assistant and was a basketball film coordinating intern for the Indiana Pacers from 2013-15.

Pastorek returns for his third season with the Lakers and his second as assistant video coordinator/player development coach. He assists with the team’s gameday preparation and on-court development, and most recently was a member of the 2019 summer league coaching staff.
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:41 pm

Troy Daniels admits that he likely would’ve received more than the veteran’s minimum from a team had he put off signing for a few more days during free agency. But when the Los Angeles Lakers offered him a one-year deal worth $2.1 million, he jumped at the opportunity. That’s because the 28-year-old believes he’s a perfect fit for the Lakers, who badly needed to add shooters this summer after finishing last season with the NBA’s second-worst three-point percentage (33.3 percent).

Now, Daniels has a chance to showcase his game on a huge stage. Playing alongside LeBron James and Anthony Davis should create a lot of open looks for Daniels, who’s shown that he’ll make defenses pay if he’s left unguarded. Last season, he made 47.9 percent of his open threes, which was 10th-best in the NBA.

"I watched a lot of great players like Reggie Miller, Michael Redd, Ray Allen and Kyle Korver, who is still doing his thing to this day. I watched those guys a lot when I was growing up. I always wanted to be an elite shooter. It’s one thing to be a shooter who can make some shots, it’s another to be an elite shooter where defenses are scheming against you. You do have to grind and put in work – I still work on my shot each and every day – but I also think it’s partially a God-given talent. Certain players just have an eye for putting the ball in the hole."
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:34 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Troy Daniels admits that he likely would’ve received more than the veteran’s minimum from a team had he put off signing for a few more days during free agency. But when the Los Angeles Lakers offered him a one-year deal worth $2.1 million, he jumped at the opportunity. That’s because the 28-year-old believes he’s a perfect fit for the Lakers, who badly needed to add shooters this summer after finishing last season with the NBA’s second-worst three-point percentage (33.3 percent).

Now, Daniels has a chance to showcase his game on a huge stage. Playing alongside LeBron James and Anthony Davis should create a lot of open looks for Daniels, who’s shown that he’ll make defenses pay if he’s left unguarded. Last season, he made 47.9 percent of his open threes, which was 10th-best in the NBA.

"I watched a lot of great players like Reggie Miller, Michael Redd, Ray Allen and Kyle Korver, who is still doing his thing to this day. I watched those guys a lot when I was growing up. I always wanted to be an elite shooter. It’s one thing to be a shooter who can make some shots, it’s another to be an elite shooter where defenses are scheming against you. You do have to grind and put in work – I still work on my shot each and every day – but I also think it’s partially a God-given talent. Certain players just have an eye for putting the ball in the hole."

Sounds like everyone is coming in with a great attitude! From what I have read, they are developing off the court and even some on the court chemistry at the practice facility. Kuz gets to learn from Gregg Popovich and enter the season with supreme confidence, assuming he makes the Team USA final cut. Klay Thompson raves about Kuzma's game and talked about how he and others blossomed after playing on Team USA. I'm still shell shocked, so I'm not at all there with the Lakers being a championship favorite, but hopefully I will get there!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:11 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
lakerevolution wrote:Troy Daniels admits that he likely would’ve received more than the veteran’s minimum from a team had he put off signing for a few more days during free agency. But when the Los Angeles Lakers offered him a one-year deal worth $2.1 million, he jumped at the opportunity. That’s because the 28-year-old believes he’s a perfect fit for the Lakers, who badly needed to add shooters this summer after finishing last season with the NBA’s second-worst three-point percentage (33.3 percent).

Sounds like everyone is coming in with a great attitude! From what I have read, they are developing off the court and even some on the court chemistry at the practice facility. Kuz gets to learn from Gregg Popovich and enter the season with supreme confidence, assuming he makes the Team USA final cut. Klay Thompson raves about Kuzma's game and talked about how he and others blossomed after playing on Team USA. I'm still shell shocked, so I'm not at all there with the Lakers being a championship favorite, but hopefully I will get there!

57-25 World Champs, heard it here 1st as an early prediction. Adding AD is gigantic, adding Green was the cherry on top of the Sundae.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:14 pm

Boogie continues to be cursed. Can't really miss what we haven't yet had, but it is a big loss and hopefully he can rehab successfully and maybe rejoin the team sometime next year. Now we have to come up with another solution to give AD some help in the paint.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:32 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Boogie continues to be cursed. Can't really miss what we haven't yet had, but it is a big loss and hopefully he can rehab successfully and maybe rejoin the team sometime next year. Now we have to come up with another solution to give AD some help in the paint.

It sucks but he is so injury prone, it was expected IMO. I would start:
PG Rondo
SG Green - Mr floor spreader/ 3 point shooter
SF LeBron
PF Davis - he loves the 4 spot
C McGee
-6th man would still be the Kuz man. KuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuZ! I like Cook and Pope a lot off the bench too. Avery Bradley is a wild card. When healthy Bradley is good.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:52 pm

The Boogie thing makes me sick to my stomach.

It does help the rotations and is very helpful for Kuzma, although candidly I'm not his biggest "fan."

I would rather sign Noah than Dwight. His 36 mpg numbers last season were the best of his career and he played 16.1 mpg, which would be perfect for the Lakers. he's also a great playmaking big man. They should have signed him instantly IMO, but perhaps he doesn't want to play with us.

Why us though? WHY??!!!
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:47 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:The Boogie thing makes me sick to my stomach.

It does help the rotations and is very helpful for Kuzma, although candidly I'm not his biggest "fan."

I would rather sign Noah than Dwight. His 36 mpg numbers last season were the best of his career and he played 16.1 mpg, which would be perfect for the Lakers. he's also a great playmaking big man. They should have signed him instantly IMO, but perhaps he doesn't want to play with us.

Why us though? WHY??!!!

There is a rumor floating around that the Lakers are considering trading for Dwight Howard. Many Lakers fans are against this and are sickened by the thought. I actually would be ok with it as long as we do not give up much for him. Lakers fans have to remember this isn't 2013 anymore when he was expected to be the 1st or 2nd best player on the team. This situation is much different. He would be a perfect 3rd or 4th fiddle IMO. No pressure on him and he is a good player lets not forget that above all. He and AD together would be great on the defensive end. Guys that are off limits to trade are obviously LeBron, AD, Green, and Kuzma. Everyone else is fair game IMO.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:00 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:
KobeMVP888 wrote:The Boogie thing makes me sick to my stomach.

Why us though? WHY??!!!

There is a rumor floating around that the Lakers are considering trading for Dwight Howard. Many Lakers fans are against this and are sickened by the thought. I actually would be ok with it as long as we do not give up much for him. Lakers fans have to remember this isn't 2013 anymore when he was expected to be the 1st or 2nd best player on the team. This situation is much different. He would be a perfect 3rd or 4th fiddle IMO. No pressure on him and he is a good player lets not forget that above all. He and AD together would be great on the defensive end. Guys that are off limits to trade are obviously LeBron, AD, Green, and Kuzma. Everyone else is fair game IMO.

It would have to be a buyout and sign as a free agent thing. I want them to sign him and Noah. The whole thing truly sucks though.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:32 pm

Yeah Boogie getting injured does suck. I was really excited waiting to see Boogie and AD play together as Lakers. We seem jinxed over the last 7 or 8 seasons with key players getting injured. It is getting old and frustrating. We have to pray Bron, AD, Green, and Kuz stay healthy this season to have a chance at a championship.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:30 pm

Per: Adrian Wojo,

Dwight Howard is a Laker! I called it and I am ok with it. He is a good player. :xclaphands:

Lakers signed him to a 1 year non-guaranteed contract. We have nothing to lose, this is a steal. I could care less how he rubbed me wrong or other Lakers fans back in the summer of 2013. This isn't the same situation, he will be a great role player.
3Peatkb24

PreviousNext

Return to LakerTalk