The Lakers Discussion Thread

Re: The Lakers Discussion Thread

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:29 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:Latest RUMORS, Lonzo, Ingram, and our #4 for AD. Would you guys do it if the Pels agree to that? We would still keep Kuz.

As you can see, I changed "talks" to "RUMORS", 3Peat. There are (were) all kinds of trade deadline-like rumors flying around until yesterday. I am encouraged that it has quieted since then but I am even more encouraged that we haven't read anything from Shams (or that asshole Woj) that neither the Lakers or Pellies have pulled out of negotiations. This bullshit thing about Vegas having us as favorites to win the NBA championship next season (rich LA folk love sucker bets) is curious, but I'm not holding my breath. I hope that the Lakers can keep 1 of Lonzo, Kuz or Ingram and Hart. I THINK that we will sign Jimmy Butler whether or not we trade for AD.

HAVING SAID THAT, my hopes and dreams for AD are about as accurate as the "talks" that we truly know nothing about. I do believe we will get some news no later than Draft Day, which is only 6 days away. From what I have read, Darius Garland has a promise from either the Suns (#6) or Lakers and that the ONLY other high draft consideration who we have worked out is Culver. All of that tells me that a deal has probably been done already and that because of the complexities of keeping our cap space big enough to sign a max FA, it's the i's that still need to be dotted and the t's that need to be crossed.

With the Warriors sans KD and Klay next season, yes I would now give the fucking Pellies the whole enchilada if they want for AD. Build it and they will come, especially ring chasers on the cheap.

No big deal Ken because after all that is a rumor. Interesting times ahead with the draft and free agency coming up + trade talks. If Jeanie does well here I will praise her and the FO.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:39 pm

BREAKING NEWS per Adrian Wojnarowski

AD is a Laker my brethren! It's a done deal. We traded Ball, Ingram, Hart, and the #4 pick + 2 additional future picks for AD. We were able to keep Kuzma which is gigantic. If I was the Lakers I would go after Kemba Walker now. We need a point guard. That would give us a Big4.

Remember, the West will be wide open now because Durant is out next season and who knows how long Klay will be out? The Warriors won't be near as good next season. If we sign Walker or Kyrie, we may win the whole damn thing. :cheers:
3Peatkb24

Postby Lakers4Life » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:41 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:BREAKING NEWS per Adrian Wojnarowski

AD is a Laker my brethren! It's a done deal. We traded Ball, Ingram, Hart, and the #4 pick + 2 additional future picks for AD. We were able to keep Kuzma which is gigantic. If I was the Lakers I would go after Kemba Walker now. We need a point guard. That would give us a Big4.

Remember, the West will be wide open now because Durant is out next season and who knows how long Klay will be out? The Warriors won't be near as good next season. If we sign Walker or Kyrie, we may win the whole damn thing. :cheers:

Now we need Lebron to help recruit!! Who wants to win a championship?? Time to fill out the rest of the roster. We have some holes to fill now that Lonzo, BI & Hart are gone
Lakers4Life

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:55 pm

BALL OUT!!! *double meaning*

With the Hollywood pressure off of his feeble shoulders, Lonzo should be able to just play and blossom into the truly average and marginally-effective player we all know he can be!!! :kingclaphands:

Can't really lament Ingram's departure - maybe he turns into a rugged Tayshawn Prince-type, maybe not. I wish him the best. Bron/Davis/Kuz is a nice core . . now who wants to join???
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:23 am

Welp, now the fun begins! Kawhi seems too old school to pull a KD. I think he would rather beat LeBron again than join him, but the pitch can be made that in a few seasons, it will be his and AD's team to ride into the future. I think he will stay in Toronto or join the Logoclipps, who curiously have shot up to 7-1 odds to win the NBA Championship. I don't see that unless someone in Vegas knows something, which they seem to don a more frequent basis. The pundits are pining for Kyrie or Kemba. I think Kyrie goes to Brooklyn and Kemba stays put. Which leaves Jimmy Butler, who wasn't exactly a happy camper in Philly and who I think will be the guy. To be continued ...
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:57 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:Welp, now the fun begins! Kawhi seems too old school to pull a KD. I think he would rather beat LeBron again than join him, but the pitch can be made that in a few seasons, it will be his and AD's team to ride into the future. I think he will stay in Toronto or join the Logoclipps, who curiously have shot up to 7-1 odds to win the NBA Championship. I don't see that unless someone in Vegas knows something, which they seem to don a more frequent basis. The pundits are pining for Kyrie or Kemba. I think Kyrie goes to Brooklyn and Kemba stays put. Which leaves Jimmy Butler, who wasn't exactly a happy camper in Philly and who I think will be the guy. To be continued ...

Yeah we now have a true Big3 anyway and LeBron can play his natural spot at the 3.

PG ?
SG ?
SF LeBron
PF Kuzma
C A. Davis
-I haven't been this excited in a long time. We just got the best big man in the league and he's young. I wouldn't mind just putting great shooters around those 3 at this point. This takes pressure off of LeBron as well. LeBron IMO still has 2 great years left so we had to make this deal happen. After that he may start to decline. The West is wide open now too finally.

Here's a guy I would love to add and that is Kyle Korver for a year or 2. He is a deadly 3 point shooter and has played with LeBron. He and LeBron are good friends as well.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:15 am

3Peatkb24 wrote:Yeah we now have a true Big3 anyway and LeBron can play his natural spot at the 3.

PG ?
SG ?
SF LeBron
PF Kuzma
C A. Davis
-I haven't been this excited in a long time. We just got the best big man in the league and he's young. I wouldn't mind just putting great shooters around those 3 at this point. This takes pressure off of LeBron as well. LeBron IMO still has 2 great years left so we had to make this deal happen. After that he may start to decline. The West is wide open now too finally.

Here's a guy I would love to add and that is Kyle Korver for a year or 2. He is a deadly 3 point shooter and has played with LeBron. He and LeBron are good friends as well.

It's funny you say that about LeBron because he is more effective at the three. The catch is that AD, like Pau, considers himself to be a power forward even though he is clearly a modern day super duper stretch 5! Soooooo to continue my insomniac thought from 1:30 in the morning ..

1. I want to see the Lakers bring back JaVale McGee to START at center again. Hopefully he'll sign another minimum contract. This would allow Kuz to rotate into the game at the 6 minute mark as a true sixth man and slide into the power forward position, while AD moves over to the 5.

2. As I said before, I would prefer Jimmy Butler over anyone but Kawhi at this point. His defense on the wing seems more important to me than adding another 25 ppg scorer like Kyrie. He would also be a better player for LeBron in terms of "load management" just as LeBron compliments him the same way.

3. As for the point guard position, assuming that we don't get Kyrie or Kemba Walker (yet another 25 ppg scorer who does little for our defense), there are many unrestricted free agents who could fill the role. The question is whether they would be willing to sacrifice money to chase a ring. One example is Ricky Rubio, who teams might not chase because he isn't a prolific 3 point shooter. He defends and distributes though. Derrick Rose, who shocked everyone last season, is once again on the market. Patrick Beverley is, too, but will likely return to the Clippers and doesn't have anything good to say about the Lakers. Darren Collison is unrestricted. A guy I love, TJ McConnell is unrestricted. And of course there's Alex Caruso, who plays that hard nose game that is in some ways similar to Fred Van Vleet.

Here are the problems. A veteran will have to come to chase a ring for cheap. There's a ton of cap space out there this summer, so players are going to get overpaid. So getting a player like Rubio for cheap, for example, will take a lot of convincing. All of this leads me to believe that the Lakers will prioritize Kyrie and Kemba; I just think they'll whiff and wind up with Butler, who I believe to be the better fit anyway.

There's also the Room Exception. Brian Windhorst has already put out there that it is going to go to KCP (further fueling the idea that Kyrie and Kemba will be prioritized). I actually love that. Down the stretch last season he was our best player WHEN HE STARTED. A backcourt of, say Kemba and KCP, to comliment our ridiculous frontcourt would be just fine. If Butler signs, then a backcourt of Caruso and Butler, or _____ and Butler, is fine, too).

Also, maybe LeBron can coax D-Wade into postponing his retirement one more season. No Melo though. PLEASE no Melo.

IF WE WHIFF ON A THIRD MAX CONTRACT PLAYER, to be continued ...
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:09 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:Yeah we now have a true Big3 anyway and LeBron can play his natural spot at the 3.

PG ?
SG ?
SF LeBron
PF Kuzma
C A. Davis

It's funny you say that about LeBron because he is more effective at the three. The catch is that AD, like Pau, considers himself to be a power forward even though he is clearly a modern day super duper stretch 5! Soooooo to continue my insomniac thought from 1:30 in the morning ..

1. I want to see the Lakers bring back JaVale McGee to START at center again. Hopefully he'll sign another minimum contract. This would allow Kuz to rotate into the game at the 6 minute mark as a true sixth man and slide into the power forward position, while AD moves over to the 5.

2. As I said before, I would prefer Jimmy Butler over anyone but Kawhi at this point. His defense on the wing seems more important to me than adding another 25 ppg scorer like Kyrie. He would also be a better player for LeBron in terms of "load management" just as LeBron compliments him the same way.

3. As for the point guard position, assuming that we don't get Kyrie or Kemba Walker (yet another 25 ppg scorer who does little for our defense), there are many unrestricted free agents who could fill the role. The question is whether they would be willing to sacrifice money to chase a ring. One example is Ricky Rubio, who teams might not chase because he isn't a prolific 3 point shooter. He defends and distributes though. Derrick Rose, who shocked everyone last season, is once again on the market. Patrick Beverley is, too, but will likely return to the Clippers and doesn't have anything good to say about the Lakers. Darren Collison is unrestricted. A guy I love, TJ McConnell is unrestricted. And of course there's Alex Caruso, who plays that hard nose game that is in some ways similar to Fred Van Vleet.

Here are the problems. A veteran will have to come to chase a ring for cheap. There's a ton of cap space out there this summer, so players are going to get overpaid. So getting a player like Rubio for cheap, for example, will take a lot of convincing. All of this leads me to believe that the Lakers will prioritize Kyrie and Kemba; I just think they'll whiff and wind up with Butler, who I believe to be the better fit anyway.

There's also the Room Exception. Brian Windhorst has already put out there that it is going to go to KCP (further fueling the idea that Kyrie and Kemba will be prioritized). I actually love that. Down the stretch last season he was our best player WHEN HE STARTED. A backcourt of, say Kemba and KCP, to comliment our ridiculous frontcourt would be just fine. If Butler signs, then a backcourt of Caruso and Butler, or _____ and Butler, is fine, too).

Also, maybe LeBron can coax D-Wade into postponing his retirement one more season. No Melo though. PLEASE no Melo.

Yeah I am so excited I can't sleep :roflmao: . I had to work last night and still haven't been to bed. I am off until tomorrow afternoon at least lol. Eventually I will doze off. Us getting AD is so impactful, that guy is a top 5 player in the league and is the best Big in the league. I agree no Melo! I would entertain the thought of Wade coming in for cheap but I have always been a Wade fan. That is if he wanted to un-retire and be a role player. He was a great closer like Jordan and Kobe.

I still want to see us bring in great 3 point shooters though like Kyle Korver, Danny Green, maybe Nik Mirotic who can drain the 3. I would shoot for Kemba Walker though as the big prize, if we get Walker it's over baby! We aren't getting Leonard so I have blocked that out, of course he would be anyone's 1st choice but it isn't happening. I think he stays in Toronto IMO. He is loved in Toronto and they won it all. I agree with re-signing McGee, I loved his play last season. Here is a thought though, how about bringing Lopez back? He is a good 3 point shooter.

Thinking really outside the box, Bogdanovich is a free agent and the Pacers are 50/50 on re-signing him. That guy is a deadly 3 point shooter too and a good player. How about him?
3Peatkb24

Postby kjkirby » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:58 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:

PG ?
SG ?
SF LeBron
PF Kuzma
C A. Davis

I would hope that they use that money to build a bench. I would only try to max Kawhi if he was interested. Outside of that, I would spread that money out. I hope they sign Brogdon to an offer sheet just to see if the Bucks would match. They have to make some serious financial decisions for a small market team. Brogdon is a 50-40-90 guy. Maybe Danny Green and Morris from Boston. If they had anything left maybe Robin Lopez.

Brogdon-Caruso
Danny Green-KCP
LBJ-Kuzma
AD-Morris
McGee-Lopez

I'm just spitballing. I'm not sure what does guys will command, because there will be money available to overpay this year. However, I like that scenario better than Butler because everyone can shoot 3's except AD,McGee and Lopez. I really like Brogdon for this team. I might hit him with a poison pill offer sheet. These players also pick up some of the defense we lose with kids gone. (Lopez, Morris, Green and Brogdon to a lesser degree) What do you guys think?
kjkirby

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:19 pm

kjkirby wrote:I would hope that they use that money to build a bench. I would only try to max Kawhi if he was interested. Outside of that, I would spread that money out. I hope they sign Brogdon to an offer sheet just to see if the Bucks would match. They have to make some serious financial decisions for a small market team. Brogdon is a 50-40-90 guy. Maybe Danny Green and Morris from Boston. If they had anything left maybe Robin Lopez.

Brogdon-Caruso
Danny Green-KCP
LBJ-Kuzma
AD-Morris
McGee-Lopez

I'm just spitballing. I'm not sure what does guys will command, because there will be money available to overpay this year. However, I like that scenario better than Butler because everyone can shoot 3's except AD,McGee and Lopez. I really like Brogdon for this team. I might hit him with a poison pill offer sheet. These players also pick up some of the defense we lose with kids gone. (Lopez, Morris, Green and Brogdon to a lesser degree) What do you guys think?

Actually, AD shoots the three quite well, but I like your thinking.

HAVING SAID THAT, I want Jimmy Butler with Bron and Brow. He just seems like the perfect fit. There is no 3/D wing on the market at his level other than Kawhi.
KobeMVP888

Postby kjkirby » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:52 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
kjkirby wrote:I would hope that they use that money to build a bench. I would only try to max Kawhi if he was interested. Outside of that, I would spread that money out. I hope they sign Brogdon to an offer sheet just to see if the Bucks would match. They have to make some serious financial decisions for a small market team. Brogdon is a 50-40-90 guy. Maybe Danny Green and Morris from Boston. If they had anything left maybe Robin Lopez.

Brogdon-Caruso
Danny Green-KCP
LBJ-Kuzma
AD-Morris
McGee-Lopez

Actually, AD shoots the three quite well, but I like your thinking.

HAVING SAID THAT, I want Jimmy Butler with Bron and Brow. He just seems like the perfect fit. There is no 3/D wing on the market at his level other than Kawhi.

I don't doubt that Jimmy is a perfect fit. I just don't believe that he's a max player. I wouldn't feel comfortable with tying up 32 mil in Jimmy Butler. Hell, I don't believe Kyrie is max either and don't get me started on Kemba. Sometimes there's a perfect storm for players, free agency and available money. Someone's going to fuck around and get a Jon Konkack contract this year. Probably the Knicks.
kjkirby

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:24 am

Ha, the daily Jon Koncak Award that Lee "Hacksaw" Hamilton gave out to the shittiest performance by an NBA player the previous day! Remember that?

Max players typically out perform the values of their contracts, but the thing is that the 8 - 12 mil guys don't. Therein lies the rub. Other than Kawhi, there isn't one defensive perimeter player/big shot maker on the market who comes close to Butler (Kemba and Kyrie are only the latter. In my view, Butler has always been similar to PG13, a max guy. Would you hypothetically rather have Danny Green or JJ Redick, Ricky Rubio or Darren Collison, and Marcus Morris or Markieff Morris (assuming you can get them for a combined 30 mil) or Jimmy Butler? Therein lies the rub. I know I'd rather have Kawhi, but Butler is an interesting discussion. Regardless, the player has to want to come here. Philly would have the financial inside track on him and he proved his worth to them in the playoffs last season, where it matters.
KobeMVP888

Postby kjkirby » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:18 am

i guess my concern is depth in regards to injuries. I believe that butler would fit in well on this team. If they can figure out a way to make it work without taxing the max guys, I'm all for it. My third choice after Kawhi and Butler is still Brogdon. I know he's restricted and I'm not sure how much he commands in a year when a lot of teams have space, but his game fits well with LBJ and AD. 50-40-90 is nothing to sneeze at.
kjkirby

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:49 pm

kjkirby wrote:i guess my concern is depth in regards to injuries. I believe that butler would fit in well on this team. If they can figure out a way to make it work without taxing the max guys, I'm all for it. My third choice after Kawhi and Butler is still Brogdon. I know he's restricted and I'm not sure how much he commands in a year when a lot of teams have space, but his game fits well with LBJ and AD. 50-40-90 is nothing to sneeze at.

So let's say the max guys don't come. Malcom Brogdon is a RFA and they would have to tender an offer sheet quickly or these other unrestricted guys will be off the table. The Bucks will match no matter what the offer is. They are actively shopping Tony Snell and Ersan Ilyasova to make some room. I think that move is too risky. I had no idea that there would be so little cap space after this deal or that AD won't waive his pocket change trade kicker or everything we're learning about what is likely to happen. Hopefully he can be talked into waiving it. A big part of me hopes that we target Butler, find out quickly whether he's yay or nay, and if it's nay, move quickly on the Plan B guys they are targeting (hopefully ring chasers) and offer them MULTI-YEAR CONTRACTS. We'll see.
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:30 pm

We need exactly what we lost - Josh Hart-type hard-nosed ballers who can D and get their own shots. Klay would be so perfect but he's probably gonna stay a Warrior for life as long as Steph is there. Ingram is talented but still young, undersized and raw. There are plenty of guys who will want to ball with our new look, they just need to make themselves known. Man, can we get Randle back?
lakerevolution

PreviousNext

Return to LakerTalk